CPXi

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
3.8

Michael Seiman

Awesome and supportive company!

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at CPXi full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Support: The managers are there for your support. They make sure they offer you all of the tools you need to learn and develop in the position you are in. If they see that something is not working out, they take a different approach to make the situation better. Even my co-workers are more than willing to help answer my questions.

Office Culture: Everyone is young (b/w 20-30) which is great because it is like working with your friends everyday. The dress code is pretty casual but you will see people in suits when they have a client meeting or presentation. We all have desks with multiple screens and great MacBook Airs. It is also nice seeing other people from different divisions in the kitchen and getting to know them.

Health Benefits: CPXi makes sure that their employees are happy. That seems to be their top priority. Our health benefits are amazing especially now that they are offering us premium base plans.

- Full health, dental, vision
    - $500 yearly gym reimbursement

Company Benefits/Facilities: The NYC facilities are awesome! I seriously love stepping into the office.

- Fully-stocked kitchen
    - Ping-pong
    - Video-games
    - Beer on tap
    - Nespresso/Starbucks machines
    - Catered Lunch on Thursdays

Time off: We definitely get enough vacation days / work from home / sick days. It is prorated to how long you have worked there but that seems completely fair.

Cons

This is a great company and they offer so many benefits but I guess that is the trade off for lower pay. According to Salary.com, someone in my position and in this area would be making $5-$10K more than I am making now. However, I feel like CPXi offers ways to grow and grow quickly.

I also think that the gym reimbursement should be a bit higher, especially in NYC. It is only about $40 a month which is nowhere close to what it actually costs. To go to a decent gym is around $100/mo. Although they have company rates to NYC Sports Club, those facilities are a little gross. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week, so to me it is worth getting that extra reimbursement.

Award Winning Culture and Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CPXi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

So many it may be hard to remember them all - Insane employee benefits, perks programs, bonuses, retirement contributions, tons of food (vegans welcome), 4 beer taps, Sodastream, Starbucks and Nespresso machines, ping pong, Xbox, Playstations, etc, etc, etc. Employees give feedback to their managers quarterly and vice versa, and there is very little bureaucracy or BS. After an acquisition in Seattle and a new office opening in New Orleans and some company reorganization earlier this year the team now seems even more "together" than ever. Basically if you like to have fun while always striving to improve and be the best you can be, this is a place for you. If you want a place you can coast or hide, then you will not like it here.

Cons

Not a lot - training in some groups is fair at best, but seems to be improving. Things move fast here and sometimes communication could be better, but not an ongoing issue.

Keep going with what works, the vibe is great and we seem to be hitting on all cylinders now. We've won 3 awards this year for Best Places to Work, so don't fix it because it's not broken! Thanks!!

Great people, great workplace.

I worked at CPXi

Pros

-Perk
    -Work environment
    -Clients are pretty big
    -Promotion quickly

Cons

Didn't encounter much cons of the company

Beware of the double-edged sword

I worked at CPXi

Pros

Good company culture with a lot of perks in the office e.g. video games, free food, beer etc
    Great location right near Times Square
    Easy enough to communicate amongst other workers with a mostly friendly environment

Cons

Completely incompetent HR department
    Turnover rate proved to be ridiculous considering beginning and end of employment
    Difficult to get in touch with upper management
    Interview process was the most disorganized experience I've ever had from top to bottom, no one ever seemed to be on the same page
    Not very good compensation for the amount and level of work being done

Get more organized and actually respond to emails.
    Correct the level of incompetency in HR department.

A great place to work

I have been working at CPXi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's great to be a part of such a successful company. People here are friendly, funny and smart. CPXi has won lots of awards in the last few years, including the coveted Crain's "Best Places to Work in New York City" award—and with good reason: employees are generally happy to be here, with lots of reasons to love the company: gym membership reimbursement, smartphone reimbursement, tax free subway card (monthly unlimited), referral bonuses, year-end bonuses, raises, phantom equity, free lunches on Thursday, free breakfast every day, beer on tap, the training program (called CPXi University), the philanthropy, great laptops and desk set ups, quick tech support, lots of meeting rooms, video game consoles in the office and open-door policy with the top level executives. This may be one of the best places I will ever work.

Cons

In the last year, we have gone through several waves of firings, due to structural changes with an acquisition and also a strategic direction change in our tech department...frequent enough to make you think about refreshing your résumé. With all of the focus on great benefits and perks, HR and management don't focus enough on career trajectory. To their credit, HR does do a lot of surveys of employees and it's clear they care about the company culture, even if they're still figuring out how to make it better. The culture can get political at times, even though it's usually upbeat. Online advertising companies can sometimes adopt sketchy tactics and practices, and while CPXi seems committed to choosing the most ethical path, its not clear to employees if those intentions are always followed through on.

Keep the lines of communication open. Talk about the real problems facing the business; don't just put a positive spin on everything. Treat your employees as owners. Celebrate our wins more often, admit our faults more readily, express sorrow when we lose people or aren't doing as well as we could be. Look for ways to provide mentorship and opportunities for more than just the select few "A-listers." Keep finding new ways to make revenue and this will continue to be a great place to work.

I love the culture, people, and environment of the work place. I enjoy waking up every morning and going into work.

I have been working at CPXi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company stresses on importance of balancing work & free time. Don't have to wear a suit and tie (huge advantage in the summer!), every body is down to earth and makes work very enjoyable.

Cons

Market is always changing and therefore can make work very stressful at times. However this keeps all employees on their feet and always thinking.

Great Place to Grow

Former Employee - Media Buying and Optimization Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Media Buying and Optimization Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at CPXi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CPX combines the atmosphere of a constantly expanding entrepreneurial company with the stability and experience that comes with 15+ years in the industry. CPX is a perfect place for flexible individuals with a desire to learn and grow in the web tech space. This company also takes care of their employees and fosters a stimulating but relaxed tech culture. Quality healthcare, generous PTO policies, weekly free lunches, and a dedicated game room all contribute to the value of working at CPX.

Cons

As with any rapidly growing company, individuals and divisions have to flex and adapt as the company tries to position itself in the market. In other words, your role may change or morph over time, but this is a key advantage for people who are eager to learn. CPX is a "work hard/play hard" company, so if you're not ready to give 100% it might not be the place for you.

Never lose sight of the long term goal for the sake of short term success.

It Sucks

Current Employee - Publisher Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Publisher Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at CPXi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are sick sometimes you can work from home.
    There is beer and food.

Cons

Everything.
    Cliques, sex traded for promotions and raises, everyone in the clique comes in late and hung over but if you aren't lucky enough to be part of that you need to arrive early, leave late, and never drink.
    Beer on tap is cool and all but if you're not part of the chosen group you really won't get to take advantage of it.
    They are unfair, treat lowers like total garbage. Be prepared to work 24/7 while everyone else works remotely and sends everything from their phones. You work weekends and vacation/sick days.

Fire everyone and start with unbiased people who won't hire their friends or other employees friends and over compensate and under work them.

Extremely disorganized but nice people to work with

I worked at CPXi

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Management doesn't know direction to go in, disorganized, no direction for new staff, poor resources, a tech company that doesn't have tech support for its own staff, no KPIs

Find ways to help new staff succeed

Great company & only getting better!

I have been working at CPXi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, awesome benefits (travel, food, gym, etc.), potential to grow and also to move around divisions, & a good work/life balance.

Cons

I used to think being in Time Square but the office is more south than most of the hectic Time Square madness so its not too bad!! Also they recently opened a new floor that is awesome so people aren't on top of each ther.

Keep talking with your employees and keep up the Monday morning emails that let everyone know whats going on!!!