CPXi

3.6

Michael Seiman

A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

It's great to be a part of such a successful company. People here are friendly, funny and smart. CPXi has won lots of awards in the last few years, including the coveted Crain's "Best Places to Work in New York City" award—and with good reason: employees are generally happy to be here, with lots of reasons to love the company: gym membership reimbursement, smartphone reimbursement, tax free subway card (monthly unlimited), referral bonuses, year-end bonuses, raises, phantom equity, free lunches on Thursday, free breakfast every day, beer on tap, the training program (called CPXi University), the philanthropy, great laptops and desk set ups, quick tech support, lots of meeting rooms, video game consoles in the office and open-door policy with the top level executives. This may be one of the best places I will ever work.

Cons

In the last year, we have gone through several waves of firings, due to structural changes with an acquisition and also a strategic direction change in our tech department...frequent enough to make you think about refreshing your résumé. With all of the focus on great benefits and perks, HR and management don't focus enough on career trajectory. To their credit, HR does do a lot of surveys of employees and it's clear they care about the company culture, even if they're still figuring out how to make it better. The culture can get political at times, even though it's usually upbeat. Online advertising companies can sometimes adopt sketchy tactics and practices, and while CPXi seems committed to choosing the most ethical path, its not clear to employees if those intentions are always followed through on.

Keep the lines of communication open. Talk about the real problems facing the business; don't just put a positive spin on everything. Treat your employees as owners. Celebrate our wins more often, admit our faults more readily, express sorrow when we lose people or aren't doing as well as we could be. Look for ways to provide mentorship and opportunities for more than just the select few "A-listers." Keep finding new ways to make revenue and this will continue to be a great place to work.

I love the culture, people, and environment of the work place. I enjoy waking up every morning and going into work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Company stresses on importance of balancing work & free time. Don't have to wear a suit and tie (huge advantage in the summer!), every body is down to earth and makes work very enjoyable.

Cons

Market is always changing and therefore can make work very stressful at times. However this keeps all employees on their feet and always thinking.

Great Place to Grow

Former Employee - Media Buying and Optimization Specialist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Media Buying and Optimization Specialist in New York, NY

Pros

CPX combines the atmosphere of a constantly expanding entrepreneurial company with the stability and experience that comes with 15+ years in the industry. CPX is a perfect place for flexible individuals with a desire to learn and grow in the web tech space. This company also takes care of their employees and fosters a stimulating but relaxed tech culture. Quality healthcare, generous PTO policies, weekly free lunches, and a dedicated game room all contribute to the value of working at CPX.

Cons

As with any rapidly growing company, individuals and divisions have to flex and adapt as the company tries to position itself in the market. In other words, your role may change or morph over time, but this is a key advantage for people who are eager to learn. CPX is a "work hard/play hard" company, so if you're not ready to give 100% it might not be the place for you.

Never lose sight of the long term goal for the sake of short term success.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All about growth!!!

Pros

Exciting company with endless potential and employee growth. Executive management is truly focused on keeping the work culture positive. "You get what you put in"

Cons

Due to the rapid changes of the industry, senior management needs to do whatever it takes to stay ahead of the curve. This may lead to semi-annual internal reorganizations. As a result this can frustrate employees.

Due to the dynamic industry, management needs to invest heavily in educating employees in what the company does and the products it offers.

It Sucks

Current Employee - Publisher Development Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Publisher Development Manager in New York, NY

Pros

If you are sick sometimes you can work from home.
    There is beer and food.

Cons

Everything.
    Cliques, sex traded for promotions and raises, everyone in the clique comes in late and hung over but if you aren't lucky enough to be part of that you need to arrive early, leave late, and never drink.
    Beer on tap is cool and all but if you're not part of the chosen group you really won't get to take advantage of it.
    They are unfair, treat lowers like total garbage. Be prepared to work 24/7 while everyone else works remotely and sends everything from their phones. You work weekends and vacation/sick days.

Fire everyone and start with unbiased people who won't hire their friends or other employees friends and over compensate and under work them.

Great company & only getting better!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great work environment, awesome benefits (travel, food, gym, etc.), potential to grow and also to move around divisions, & a good work/life balance.

Cons

I used to think being in Time Square but the office is more south than most of the hectic Time Square madness so its not too bad!! Also they recently opened a new floor that is awesome so people aren't on top of each ther.

Keep talking with your employees and keep up the Monday morning emails that let everyone know whats going on!!!

CPXi is Amazing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I work with people that challenge me to be better each day. We have access to awesome benefits, comp plans, etc. There are company outings, Thursday lunch provided every week, and flexible summer fridays. It's an upbeat, positive environment. The people I work with have become my friends, and the entire organization feels personal. As a company we are involved in philanthropic ventures as well, whether it be raising money for the CPXi Children's Center in Columbia, or giving back to the community through a Day of Service at a local PS.

Cons

The only con I would have is that I have to commute an hour each way. But being that the commute on Long Island, prior to our move into NYC was taking 45-50 minutes via car, I can say the con is a benefit - I can easily catch up on reading and not have to sit in traffic.

Keep motivating us, keep making us strive for better, keep raising the bar.

A Company that Listens...

Pros

Most companies preach internal growth, opportunity to make an impact and most fall short. CPXi has created an environment where if you have an idea that makes sense people top to bottom will hear you out. You will have a voice and a change to truly impact the company in a positive way. Great perks (days off, catered lunches, kegs in the kitchen, work hard/play hard mantra)

Cons

With any tech-start up there are bumps and bruises along the way but thus far CPXi has done their best to handle every situation.

Lets stay focused and keep growing! #42 on Forbes most promising lets move up that list this year!

Great culture that appreciates and rewards good work

Current Employee - Marketing  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

Pros

I was initially sold on the corporate culture, which CPXi really values. It is for sure a work hard, play hard environment, where people seem to enjoy being here. We have company lunches and kegs and work trips that help foster and maintain the positive culture the executives have worked hard to build. More importantly, though, CPXi is really focused on growing and nurturing talent. If you work hard and prove that you do good work, you will be rewarded (in pay, title and responsibility/ownership of interesting projects)

Cons

The company has gone through a tremendous growth spurt in the last year, and is still trying to figure it out. The team is learning how to combine the processes required to manage a growing company with an entrepreneurial, start-up culture. There have been some kinks in the road as we all figure it out, but ultimately everything is moving in the right direction.

Continue to foster open information sharing across the company so everyone feels a part of corporate successes.

Lucky to work here!

Current Employee - Account Management  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY

Pros

Great personal growth opportunities
    Independent work environment
    Awesome culture
    Good work/life balance
    C Level team is supportive
    Mentor programs for all levels
    Free lunchThursday and tons of snacks in the kitchen

Cons

The NYC office is in Times Square. Its an easy commute but not many good lunch options. Also, its an open floor plan so its hard to find privacy for client calls. That said, they are adding more conference rooms so it should improve.

Worked for CPXi? Contribute to the Community!