CQ Roll Call

Updated Apr 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Keith White

Decent place to work if you find the right position.

ProsGreat vacation policy (especially for those who stick around), good opportunities to learn about Congress and advocacy, great opportunities for young reporters, hard working colleagues.

ConsPoor management (nice people, just don't know what their employees do), limited opportunities for promotion as there has been continual downsizing and reorganizing, pay is not adequate for the area's high cost of living. The business strategy could use a little work, but they might finally be on track now.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease invest in the current products that are actually making you money and new products clients want/should realistically already have from us. Also, please learn what your employees do.

Slow and stodgy

Reporter (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCQ Roll Call offers great benefits. New employees get three and a half weeks of vacation (and folks who stay longer can get up to 5 or 6 weeks). However, at least for me the annual salary was quite low.

Since CQ gets so deep into the weeds of policy, reporters learn how to explain really complex and wonky concepts that competitors often don't. Same goes for legislative procedure.

ConsIt is both a blessing and a curse that CQ Roll Call has existed for nearly 70 years. Blessing in that it has so much institutional knowledge, but curse in that it has failed to adapt to the media changes over that last decade...due in part to pure arrogance among management and a culture that's resistant to change. That's why competitors like Politico, The Hill, etc creamed CQRC over the last several years. And CQRC only started to realize it needed to implement changes in maybe 2011. (Even now, it still hasn't really caught up.)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times. Better late than never.

Also, way too many meetings. One department head who will remain nameless liked to hold hourlong monthly meetings with "no actual agenda" (this department head's words). Huge waste of time.

Great place to work if you like constant change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAlmost everybody on Cap Hill, fed gov and K street are customers. Fast pace and lots of really smart people there. Some outstanding talent in Editorial, IT and Sales. Good technology. Still the best place to work for top editorial talent.

ConsBig changes after Economist Group bought CQ. No new products, just rejigger leg tracking and advocacy ones. Company is setting short term profit records, but is cutting staff to do it and constantly changing direction. Parent company very involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake long term plan. Keep top performers. Launch new products.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place, once upon a time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStill a solid way for a young reporter to learn about Congress and policy.

ConsManagement cannot make a plan and stick with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink long term.

Great job, environment in flux

Senior User Experience Designer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood collaborative environment, convenient location, news media industry, decent benefits

ConsCompany is struggling to retain market share, at the expense of good product innovation. Company cannot wait 2 years to see revenue return from complete product renovation, which degrades the ultimate quality and usability of the product. Salaries below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementShort-term revenue generation is going to cost long-term product viability.

Management is misguided, worker bees are great

Editor (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTalented coworkers who know a ton about politics and policy and are eager to learn more.

ConsEasy to have your hopes dashed when management changes its mind on strategy and direction so frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a plan. Invest in your people and products. Don't get stuck in a cycle where we lay off people every year or multiple times each year.

Ok place to work for 2-3 years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood vacation plan (3 weeks). Smart co-workers

ConsThere has been a lot of turnover in the past year.

Constant turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting items to cover on Capitol Hill. Congress can be fascinating, but CQ can also take the fun out of it.

ConsPoor working conditions, overbearing management, lots of turnover. Lots of demands, although it has gotten better.

chaos

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe reporters were professionals trying to do their jobs the best they could.

ConsManagement was fickle, personal and unprofessional. They picked favorites and left everyone else out.

Employee morale has tanked.

ProsGood experience, good benefits, nice location in the city, brilliant, creative people.

ConsTerrible communication by upper level management about, well, everything. They swear the company is profitable until we ask to be compensated for all the additional work we've taken on after they downsized last summer. Then the company has no money. Big profits for the daddy company while milking the rest of us to the bone.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your priorities before you start losing your good people en masse.

Worked for CQ Roll Call? Contribute to the Community!