CQG, Inc.

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tim Mather

Overall a great environment to work at, and the community of employees were helpful and friendly

API Product Manager & FCM Support (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits. Helpful colleagues. Friendly management. Employee outings.

ConsProcesses and Policies sometimes difficult. Normal for larger companies though.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to give. Thanks for everything.

A good place to start out, but don't expect much more.

Production Support Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible hours, good work/life balance. Good stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks.

ConsZero room for growth unless you have personal ties to management. No raise or bonus for years. No 401k matching. Management located in Colorado are clueless. When problems are identified, they take a long time to get fixed which can impact customer base negatively.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees instead of being stuck up.

An ok place to work

Prosstill thinking of some pros

Consyou work alot of weekends

Advice to Senior Managementnothing really to say here

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall it was good until the stock market crashed and there was a 2 yr pay freeze.

Interaction Designer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood Benefits
    Good Work Environment
    Downtown Office
    Company Sponsored Events
    Flexible Hours and the ability to work from home

ConsCompany product is related to the stock market, so pay raises, and bonuses are directly affected by the market.

No clear career path was provided for growth opportunities/potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide career paths. Be more transparent with your employees about company numbers and goals.

If you're not a software developer, you'll go nowhere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe dress code was the best aspect of the company.

ConsThey don't value their employees equally. They might offer a promotion to a non-software developer but it will be without a pay increase. More work, same amount of money. Also, the owner and CEO play favorites. Less qualified people received better promotions and pay increases over more qualified employees.

Not a place to grow

Developer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSteady, safe employment with little room for growth or advancement.

ConsA terrible place for a young person or someone looking to advance a career. Stalinesque software development methologies. Development spread out and centrally located in Eastern Europe, often project managers are located in Russia and require daily teleconferences. Post Mortems every two weeks with extensive metrics, archaic process auditing and time tracking on 30 minute intervals.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less money on catered vegan salads and more on improving the work environment.

A Waste of Time

Database Administrator (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Free food - each office has a fully stocked kitchen (but only vegetarian foods because the owner is one)
    - Lots of free time to surf the internet and do as you please - very little oversight
    - My employment was at-will and I could leave whenever I pleased.
    ** Seriously, you can do so much better than this place. If you're considering working there I encourage you to keep looking. You'll be glad you did.

Cons- Highly distributed management means you're probably answering to someone in another country who may or may not have a clue.
    - Worked there for a year and they never came up with any meaningful projects for me to work on in that time. Was told instead to do things like surf the internet, leave early, etc.
    - When hired, I was assured that the company supports training and professional development and helps pay for courses related to your job. When I found an amazing course I wanted to take, they refused to pay.
    - Despite having earned enough vacation hours and requesting time off a year in advance, they never approved the vacation time request for my wedding. Any company that's willing to bully you like that is not worth working for.

Advice to Senior ManagementI consider the time I spent there to be a complete waste and did nothing to benefit my career.

Poor mangement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFree food is quite nice.

ConsPoor management -- does not respect engineers

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to listen and respect engineers.

Dead End

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt is a place where someone can contribute and be part of a team that has no boundaries... I was able to be involved in projects and processes across countries and "silos" (functional teams) very quickly. You are able to be challenged and never want for lack of work... Self motivated people will do very well here.

The CQG application is one of the most amazing trading and analytical software available. It is good to be selling /supporting a good product.

ConsThere is little or no feedback on personal performance. Decisions are often made by consultation with "old hands" or "new blood" with most other employees getting little or no input. This results in the new hires pushing good ideas that for one reason or another are less good within CQG and the longer tenured employees pushing things that have not worked before (seemingly out of comfort with process.) The company seems to be great at grabbing defeat out of the jaws of success.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more follow through with ideas that are working and clarity when discarding failures. Failure simply gets ignored instead of being an opportunity to learn and improve. The company does seem to be moving in this direction already (albeit slowly.)

Know what you're getting into at CQG.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCQG develops tools for traders in the financial market. Their products are market-leading which makes it a nice company to work at. The work is very interesting and provides plenty of intellectual challenges. For anyone engaged in application development, CQG uses current technologies and will provide good experience and development of skills in all parts of the software development lifecycle. The Denver office is downtown in a nice location and CQG has a good working environment in terms of the office space. Management emphasizes hiring top talent and is willing to pay to get it. The company provides many nice incidentals such as a stocked lunch room, parking, and mass-transit passes. CQG has a strong entrepreneurial culture so they can be very dynamic and open to trying new things.

ConsIn addition to the full-time employee positions I have had, I have also worked as a contractor and consultant for years so I have had the opportunity to see the culture at tens of companies. Sadly CQG is one of the worst places I have ever seen for how it treats its employees. CQG takes full advantage of their ability to fire at will. CQG's management is poor at organizing work and managing the work assigned to people. CQG's management is not good at honest professional communication about work results. Management displays favoritism towards some employees and decisions/evaluations are excessively influenced by these personal relationships. As a result, CQG has a very high turnover in staff as employees get blamed for problems or negatively perceived and are very quickly fired by the company. I was constantly amazed at the top talent that came and went through the doors at CQG.

Management's attitude that employees are disposable extends to other aspects of the work environment. While CQG can provide good on-the-job skills development and will invest in training for things that are a company priority, management is not supportive of training needs identified by employees unless the employee is a favorite. Likewise, CQG is very willing to try new things such as new technologies, new processes, new tools, or new designs when it is a management idea but the company is not open to suggestions from employees.

If you're looking for a company with good pay and interesting work and don't mind the risk of being summarily fired, CQG may be a good fit. If you are good at blending in or think you can become a favorite, you may be able to succeed at CQG.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs more introspection about why it continues to struggle with its application development rather than continuously blaming staff. Senior management need to be held more accountable. There needs to be more honest recognition of some of the flaws in senior leadership.

Worked for CQG, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!