CR England

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
2.5

Chad England

Pros
  • If you truly want to be a truck driver this is the place to start (in 4 reviews)

• The training is very fast paced and it gets your CDL-A in no time (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Thirdly, they give you little to no home time what so ever within your 9 months (in 10 reviews)

• CR England will do everything in their power to force you to be on the "Lease" program, where you lease a truck from them (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start as long as you can communicate with your manager.

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at CR England

Pros

You will stay moving if you can communicate. Will normally get where you ask to go.

Cons

Poor communication will leave you without enough miles to pay for food. Communication is very important in any detached position.

Increase your pay for new drivers. 25 cpm is barely lunch money.

It's all about shipping period.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at CR England

Pros

They are really good about road and personal safety.

Cons

It's all about getting loads to destanations first.

Listen to the drivers a little bit more.

Industry leading company with great senor leadership, but doesn't pay as much attention to IT as it should

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at CR England part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Stable management
    - Great work environment
    - Industry leaders

Cons

- Super competitive industry
    - Low margins
    - Not the best reputation for compensation

rants

I worked at CR England

Pros

Benefits, cdl training, see the country: deer, antelopes, mountains, snow, ice, rain, sleet, wind that will that will try to push you over, highways, cities, more highways...

Cons

No home time, no wife, no kids (oh I am sorry some might see that as a Pro).

Good experience low pay and daily job task.

Former Employee - Commercial Maintenance Technician in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Commercial Maintenance Technician in Kansas City, MO

I worked at CR England

Pros

Different task to complete each day.

Cons

low pay with no insurance offered.

Fight for higher wages and insurance.

I would give fewer stars if it was possible

Current Employee - Dedicated Company Driver in Sterling, IL
    Current Employee - Dedicated Company Driver in Sterling, IL

I have been working at CR England full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have wanted to be a truck driver since I was a little kid. I looked into going to a CDL training school and found that I would pay around $6000.00 for a six month program and then I would have a license but no experience. Most major trucking companies have training programs - C.R. England provides training and puts you out on the road. So you obtain the license and training in a much shorter period. After you fulfill your commitment; you have the experience the rest of the industry is looking for. You can then leave and earn what you are worth - Not what England pays.

Cons

There is no work/life balance here. I am on a dedicated fleet and I am able to get home more than most. I will burn my 70 hour clock in about 6 days and then I go home for a 34 hour reset. It really is not substantial to consider this "home time" in the biblical sense. I have 6 days of laundry and bedding to wash, shop for food, and finally sleep. The pay is (from what I see) the lowest in the country. The miles are inconsistent from week to week which makes it difficult to create, maintain, and follow a decent budget. The biggest problem I have is that C.R. England will hire anyone who answers the phone. There are drivers here that should not be on the road. My fleet shares a dispatch with another professional trucking company. If I walk the lot where the England trucks are parked; I can count at least 20 of the 60 tractors parked with significant body damage on them from pure negligent and careless driving. The other fleet drives the exact same routes and I have an impossible time finding even a scratch on their fleet. Half of the drivers here at least should not be on the road with an 80,000 pound truck. This is the least professional group of drivers out there! It is remarkable though; as I read the comments about the company I work for, the support staff and management seem rather satisfied. The one piece of this company, which is the profit center are the drivers. Very few drivers are happy and this is where the money comes from. The good drivers leave, and the poor drivers just hope they don't get fired. I am out the door as I have secured employment with another company that has greater standards for drivers and my pay will close to double. I don't understand why England does not focus (at all) on retention. I can not imagine how much money is lost every year on turn over. I guess it is the old business analogy, that if you are making enough money, you can be as inefficient as you want to be and it just does not matter. My advice is to go elsewhere.

Act like the drivers are what keeps this business floating. Raise the standards on who you hire and focus on keeping good drivers. Don't just add a new coffee maker in the break room and then boast about how you are focused on drivers satisfaction- do something meaningful. No one here will retire on the coffee maker you provided. Act like a professional trucking company- the company that Chester England started - as a real pro. Set higher standards - raise the pay in line with the rest of the world or even higher and attract better and keep good drivers. This would have to pay off so much greater. Go anonymously out to a truck stop and talk with other company drivers outside of England. You will be shocked to find out that England is considered by most to be the joke of the day. It doesn't have to be like this... The formula to be the best is here - it is just being overlooked.

Can be a nice job - if you're family.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at CR England full-time

Pros

Locally owned, ready access to decision makers.

Cons

Business model is really jacked up - many situations have a "through the looking glass" feel to them.

Consider and act in your employees' interests - not just your own!

Very life destructive company to work for.

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at CR England full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They will provide you the means of getting into the industry. They will get your working quickly. Newer, usually well maintained trucks. Plenty of miles, as I could see. Good 'culture', but that isn't why 'we' are working for them. Needless to say, if you are truly coming from rock bottom, this would be a good place to start as any.

Cons

There are reasons why the turn over rate is so damn high and it isn't because everyone just has a bone to pick. Their model is broken. You will *not* get any decent amount of home time, if any. They will drive you into the ground. They will *not* have your back at any time. The entire structure is set up to cover everyone's behinds *but* yours. You *will* get screwed and blamed for things out of your control. The pay rate for the industry in very low. They do not care about you, your situation, or anything beyond the next trip. You do not have any friends. The training, although quick and legal, is sub-par. You will be amazed how quickly they will throw you into the quick of things, which is not good for the novice. You will have no legal protections as a driver, nor will they assume any responsibility. Your paycheck will never match what they advertise. Your Phase training will take entirely too long, will be delayed, and you will waste weeks or months of your life 'waiting'. Almost everyone in this company is simply 'waiting' for the next step, whatever it may be. CR England has the lowest outlook for its employees out of every trucking industry. The only enthusiastic ones are brand new. Finding a trucker who has been there for more than two years is almost impossible. ...again there are reasons why.

Back your drivers. They know they got a crappy job at a crappy company. They find that out the very first time they look you guys up on the internet at any website or talk to any other driver. At least give them a little bit of respect and stop trying to oversell and mis-advertise the situation. It's insulting, dishonest, and drives everyone's angst up just a little more. ...and for god's sake, GET BETTER PHASE TRAINERS.

Driver Manager & Training Coordinator

I worked at CR England

Pros

employee incentives, weekly raffles, and good food.

Cons

treatment of the OTR drivers

tough job tough life do not push so much

Company with serious moral issues

Former Employee - Customer Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at CR England

Pros

Got paid every two weeks

Cons

Worse environment I have ever worked at, management is super high pressure and hostile bonuses are like carrots they dangle in front of your face but seldom give to you .

Get a new management team