CRST Expedited

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Cameron Holzer

Driver

Driver/Trainer (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsGood free training contract & good training, newer equipment, rapid advancement.
    I had a great dispatcher! (Scott Nelson)

ConsNot much time @ home but typical for OTR jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with time off. 4 weeks on 1 week off doesn't seem unreasonable.

Wasted Nine Months of my Life at Riverside Terminal as a Safety Trainer...being harassed and bullied!

Safety Trainer (Former Employee) Riverside, CA

ProsThere are no Pros with this company. Do NOT even bother stopping in OR calling! PERIOD!

This one Safety Trainer would treat the DRIVERS like children and made statements like...THEY AND THEM AND THOSE DRIVERS ARE.... You complete the sentence....

I thought that was callous and rude and uncalled for...as I AM A DRIVER FIRST....and I remember when I was new as well in the transportation field and needed guidance and structure from good leaders, managers and support staff. NOT FROM CLOWNS AND STAFF WITH NO PROFESIONAL DECORUM.

ConsMAKE ONLY $45,000 A YEAR! I took a pay cut to join that miserable team of imbeciles.

With my years of experience and ability to really communicate with the employees, drivers like myself, but from a Safety and Training standpoint made one individual completely mad and perturbed with my ability to teach and train. Which made work horrible and unwelcomed on a daily basis. Yet, I still performed for US the DRIVERS...which I always indicated...I WAS FIRST and ALWAYS WILL BE! A driver. Where you all end up as drivers or management....REMEMBER my MOTTO! BE PERFECT, PERFECT RIGHT TURNS, PERFECT BACKING....BE PERFECT.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice to management! The best advice to give is often to defer from giving any advice. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID! Keep up the good work! Wasted (9) nine months of my life there!

Their 28 Day "Lead Driver" Program is a JOKE!!

Team Driver (Newly Trained) (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsFor an 8 month commitment, they WILL give you every opportunity to earn your CDL. Their "company owned" equipment isn't more than 3 years old.

ConsIf you are trained by them, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT accept a "Lead Driver" that is one of their so-called "owner-operators" (they have "leased" the equipment from CRST). These are mostly very young, extremely immature control-freak morons with VERY LITTLE to actually "teach" you. They do NOT give a damn about most of the Company policy you've just learned, nor do they consider themselves obligated by it. They "hijack" your logs on the Qualcomm, and believe that they "own" you while you are a "guest" (actually co-driver!) in THEIR little fiefdom.

I was abandoned TWICE at truck stops. First, because I asked too many questions, and the guy was so totally embarrassed and ashamed by his inability to back into spaces. The second time was because I reported safety and policy violations to a so-called Student Liaison that were ABSOLUTELY jeopardizing my new, CLEAN CDL. We were told "protect your CDL"... bull!!!

Communication between departments at their Cedar Rapids home is beyond horrible. They always "pass the buck", respond VERY slowly (if at all), and couldn't care less about newly trained drivers that are COMMITTED to drive for them. It is so obvious in EVERY decision they ever make that the "cheapest" way is ALWAYS the best way.

They purport to be so cognizant about "safety, safety, safety"... what an absolute LIE. Just look at their FMCSA scores. They reward IDIOTS that are NOT TEACHERS by any means, and have utter disregard for Company safety rules and policy. All CRST cares about is how much they EARN for CRST. They are a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementClosely evaluate those holding positions of responsibility in your organization. They are sweeping very important safety violation information "under the carpet" for the sole purpose of saving you $$ in the SHORT term and looking good for it.

Do you realize just how much your owner-ops disrespect CRST and essentially disregard your "BS" safety policies? You recruited me, trained me, got me "totally on-board" with all the speeches and talk of how the Company "so-cares" about me... then sent me out not once, but TWICE with utterly incompetent FOOLS that can't and don't teach and they themselves openly say that management at CRST sucks!! Senior management better wake up- SOON.

I so wanted to do great for you, but was abandoned twice by your drivers, then UTTERLY abandoned by your asinine Fleet Managers and HR department. My only real recourse is to warn potential recruits (mostly "desperate" people) about how they will be treated, and confirm to the "trucking industry" that your negative "reputation" is WELL EARNED!!

CRST Expedited Response

Jul 24, 2014Corporate Recruiter

Our efforts to provide a top notch training experience for each of our newly hired professional drivers is something we take very seriously. We regularly evaluate our lead drivers to ensure their ... More

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Revolving door

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsNone that I can think of.

ConsRevolving door. Total disconnect between management and employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees with experience. Most of your upper management has no experience in the field and no understanding of what really occurs.

CRST Expedited Response

Jul 23, 2014Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry you feel this way about your position. We would really like to discuss this with you to make this the best experience possible. Please reach out to anyone ... More

Team Company Driver

Team Truck Driver (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsThey gave me a start in my driving career, i would recommend anyone that have very little expericence to none to give them a try...

Conswe didnt get home as often as we like but i did enjoy myself....free vacay

Excellent co. to work for w/full support

Trainer (Current Employee) Riverside, CA

ProsI make over $1000 weekly,have full support for everyone,my fleet manager(ZMAN) GOES OUT OF HIS WAY TO KEEP ME ROLLING! He is the best. Great bennys, home when I want,great equipment! A pleasure to work for this co.

Consthere is none if you do your job they will support you 100%

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Mr. Zach Klein happy and promote him as he is the best!

driver

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

Proshelp me begin my driver career with no previous driving experience...would recommend it for anyone that has little to know driving experience

Consexpect to be out long than what they tell you...they will always keep u far away from your home so it would be impossible for u to get home

Advice to Senior Managementnone

difficult,i was new to trucking,if you get through your first year-things get pretty cool

Driver (Former Employee) Riverside, CA

Prosnewest top uf the line volvo 780's,freightliner cascadias,etcpay every tuesday and thursday,lots of loads to haul ,zero downtime,the best 13 million dollar terminal at riverside,the people will give you space to unwind between runs--really i wish all trucking was this cool

Consthey act as though you are stupid and their slave--but when you figure out the scam--you have control over them--remember-if you don't haul the load--they don't make the money

Advice to Senior Managementtake away the power from driver managers to play stupid games

Change management gone wrong

Sales (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsReally great peers, for the most part, Definitely a few diamonds in the rough. Decent benefits.

ConsDuring my time, CRST Logistics experienced a change in leadership that implemented major cultural changes. The work-life balance became non-extant. The commissions and pay structure was changed in a way that appeared to minimize benefit for the employees. Turn-over is high on the selling floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees

Nightmare of Training

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsWorking with a partner, never alone on the road. If you can find someone to get along with, truck is moving most of the time and making money.

ConsI was down quite a bit with a three day layover, and then lost at least another four days while stranded at a Frieghtliner dealership. Lost another three days trying to find a new trainer. My first trainer was a control freak always yelling and pounding his fist on my seat on every mistake, then turning around and asking why I was so nervous. I didn't find that all the route timelines were planned with a 50 mph guideline like the hand book claimed.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprovements could be made with route directions. Instead of sending directions via Qualcomm, company should find a way to compromise and send directions/maps via GPS. If you're unfamiliar with the roads, there's quite a bit of route planning. Company also sends a mixed message telling candidates that they have to have Haz-Mat, but most of the drivers I've talked to didn't have it and said the endorsements not worth the trouble as the placards tend to draw the attention of the DOT.

Worked for CRST Expedited? Contribute to the Community!