CRST Malone Reviews

Scott Shephard

1. Good deal overall for O/O

Current Contractor - O/O
    Current Contractor - O/O

I have been working at CRST Malone as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with Malone for 3 years and have made a pretty good living. Pick your loads from the board and working with agents. You have to do both. Some areas will show no freight because they don't have any, others because it pays so well the loads are gone before they can post them. Once you figure out where the good freight is, you should be able to put together a profitable little business. Try to get booked out a day in advance so you don't waste time sitting. I usually run mon-fri but I can go home whenever I want. Nobody bothers me.

Cons

Very poor communication. Everything goes through your DM and I'm frequently blind sided and put on stop dispatch for pretty petty reasons. I have a phone.If there's a problem call me. The LP guys complain constantly about maintenance and other issues. My advice is bring your own truck and cut out 80% of the aggravation.

Advice to Management

Communicate directly with drivers. Put together a website where drivers can bring up issues and management can respond. The conference call is 90% a waste of my time. Your system does not work. Stop treating drivers like criminals because of Malone's CSA scores. We're only half of the problem.You have agents and shippers that put drivers in situations where they can't play by the rules.

Very Disappointing

Former Contractor - Lease Purchase in Charleston, SC
    Former Contractor - Lease Purchase in Charleston, SC

I worked at CRST Malone as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No money down. Short lease.

Cons

Very poor equipment. Poor flatbed training. Dishonest and settlement pay never as it should be. Lots of broken promises

Advice to Management

Please fix all of the above issues.

Not what I expected

Former Employee - Dedicated Driver in Port Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Dedicated Driver in Port Birmingham, AL

Pros

Freedom to search load boards and set your own runs.

Cons

Quit: November 2014 I have always been a very hard worker who stays out for weeks at a time and loves my freedom. When working in this division you will have the opportunity to run freely without being hounded by your fleet manager BUT the load board really sucks. If loads aren't paying much there is no way to make decent money every week (unsteady pay). Of course you can call the agents directly BUT the problem is the agents load their own trucks and take care of their favorites or well-known CRST drivers first, which leaves new guys on a scavenger hunt having to accept low paying loads. Using other load boards is an option but not guaranteed because some loads are not accepted due to a company's low csa scores or non affiliation. The BIGGEST con is the maintenance account. I am not sure where I missed this in orientations or in the contract but if the accumulated (.14 /mile) they take from your settlement for every load is not used up upon quitting, they keep ALL money left over AND THERE IS NO CAP on how long the money is taken out. This means your hard earned money is not yours and you can't do anything about it (my fault because I missed this info in orientation/contract). I had over $20,000 accumulated in my maintenance acct and could not touch it unless my truck needed servicing. The sad thing is I needed money asap and they got to keep it all... Go figure! The other problem with maintenance is you could only get the truck fixed at their terminals no matter how far away you were plus they are not opened on weekends. This is inconvenient because the pay period is from tues to weds and you are guaranteed to miss a load or two waiting for the service. So don't look for a settlement that week. The bottom line is there are too many deductions that benefits the agents and the company. The drivers are left with crap, low weekly settlements and to struggle. If you want your own truck you will have paid the one you get with this company twice over (in your maintenance acct alone) by the time your contract is up. It's not worth it because they are old trucks and you will have over a million miles by that time. Tired of the lies in this industry...There has to be a better way...

Advice to Management

To treat drivers with respect and be reasonable about what it takes to make a decent living (not those watered down loads and killer maintenance acct). Just think... if you were busting your hump every week and couldn't take care of your family... how would you feel?

5. Success or failure is up to you

Former Contractor - Lease Operator in Akron, OH
    Former Contractor - Lease Operator in Akron, OH

I worked at CRST Malone as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Loved this company. Great earning potential. Good suppprt from dispatch and manqgement. Self dispatch so if you arent making the money you want then you need to work harder at figuring out why.

Cons

Maintenance is run by the van division. And that program is extremely weak and borders on dishonest.

Advice to Management

Remove van ex from all aspects of flatbed operations. Otherwise don't change a thing.

Worst trucking company

Pros

Good earning potential, they will hire drivers with low csa ratings. The orientation only lasts a day lol

Cons

They careless about their drivers. Dispatches will place you on hold for hours...... You could loose your contract over petty issues.. Save yourself the headache, stay away from this company

Advice to Management

Be reasonable with your drivers, treat them like humans because they are your most valuable asset.

7. RECRUITING IS A COMPLETE DISASTER.

Former Employee - New Lease Driver Recruiter I in Trussville, AL
    Former Employee - New Lease Driver Recruiter I in Trussville, AL

I worked at CRST Malone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The driver recruiter 1 position, looked really good on paper and in my offer letter. In fact I really looked forward to the opportunity to work in the environment described. There was an HR orientation conference call on day 1, and that provided a sense of organization and structure.

Cons

Once the day 1 orientation conference call was complete, everything went down hill. There is absolutely no structure, or organization, the environment is not professional, and there was absolutely NO training plan.

Advice to Management

There is absolutely no organization or structure to the recruiting department. If you would like to lower turn-over, you need to take a look at your recruiting department at Malone. If you would like your recruiters to be successful, you have to re-think the way in which you train and the environment in which you function.

Difrent.

Current Employee - Driver in Rockport, IN
    Current Employee - Driver in Rockport, IN

I have been working at CRST Malone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Do what loads you want, 75% line haul, 100% fuel sercharge, splitting truck payments (325 wk in hot load mounts, 140 in low load mounts) cheep truck payments.

Cons

if you are not carefull you can get upside down on a paycheck.( like i am now.lol) i took to cheep of load last week that took to long to deliver.

Advice to Management

none yet. but segest you take your 25% off the top and just show what goes to the truck. ex. line haul 2,000. show to the truck 1,500. this way drivers like me can better evaluate what we can aford on the trip.

wow

Former Employee - Lease and Owner Ops in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Lease and Owner Ops in Birmingham, AL

I worked at CRST Malone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they get u in the door

Cons

CSA of 99, crap equipment, no way to store equipment, Hell I dont have nothing good to say. hurry up n shut down.

Advice to Management

replace upper management with folks who with care about there drivers.

CRST Malone

Current Employee - Flat Bed Truck Driver in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Flat Bed Truck Driver in Birmingham, AL

Pros

If you don't have a family and like to drive over the road. The driver managers treat you with respect. Equipment is ok and if you like to work hard.

Cons

No family time. To many deductions come out your check and it don't include taxes or benefits. example: gross income for two months YTD earnings $14,000 deductions $11,000 Your total income $3,000. Their load board is poor. I found myself getting loads off of other company load board that pay less but kept me from being stuck. After 5:00pm to 7:00am central time zone. You are on your own staff is at home snuggled up in there bed lol. At least have preferable $2,000 in funds before you take on a lease purchase. This type of job can break you in a lot of ways.

Advice to Management

It seems like CRST malone has really thought things through. Needs a little work on the load board and after hours support.

do not lease there truck unless your homeless

Pros

get way to get u and your family off the streets if your homeless... u will deliver there loads and u will be compensated buy having there truck to live in...please note u will not be paid and if u are it will be every other other week or at there lesiure.

Cons

word to the wise.........if you have a job that pays you consistanty dont leave them to come over here to lease from crst...i hear that owner op's do well but the lease purchase program is a rip off.

Advice to Management

realize that drivers make the company.....

RSS Feed </> Embed