CSA Travel Protection

Updated Nov 20, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Thierry Depois

Employed as a temp for 6 months.

I have been working at CSA Travel Protection

ProsCasual attire and a very flexible schedule

ConsNot a lot of room for growth within the company.

This job is a joke (customer service)

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at CSA Travel Protection full-time for less than a year

ProsGood benefits, casual dress code, free coffee

ConsIf their HR department ever had people sit in on the CSD meetings unnoticed, they would be shocked by just how "casual" the employees actually are. The other big con of this job is the percentage of angry customers you talk to on the phone everyday that did not bother to read any of their policy information to find out what they actually have coverage for. It is no wonder that the turnover rate appears to be about 40 to 50 percent within the first six months. If you have other options, I suggest you choose a different company.

Lots of flexibility for work / life balance

I have been working at CSA Travel Protection full-time for more than a year

ProsFocused environment but also a lot of flexibility when it comes to hours. The attire is also very relaxed.

ConsNot many opportunities to grow within the company. Not the greatest place to lead a career but a good place to start out. Not much of a pay scale either. Whether you are there 2 years or 10 years your salary will be very similar

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more incentives for rewards / bonuses and pay employees better since compared to other insurance companies in San Diego, CSA is rated very low when it comes to compensation

It is a good starter company to work in.

Web Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at CSA Travel Protection full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery flexible with work schedule.

ConsNot enough communication on projects.
Big employee turn-around in most departments.

Ok place to work

Claims (Former Employee)

I worked at CSA Travel Protection full-time

ProsFriendly co workers, casual atmosphere and nice building. The supervisors and managers are nice and always willing to help. The benefits are also very good. Overall, it is a stable job with good benefits, especially if you are a HS graduate or a college grad with a degree that is not very marketable.

ConsThe pay is very low especially considering the expectations. There is also high turnover in claims/ customer service so there is a feeling that the company is always understaffed and trying to catch up. There is a lot of overtime on the claims department and like others mentioned before not much in the way of career advancement.

IT much improved

Software Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at CSA Travel Protection full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of opportunities for people with the talent in IT (it's primarily a Java/MSSQL shop).

CSA has shifted rapidly away from dated technologies to a strong SOA based architecture. The IT problems listed on here from a couple years ago before I joined have been purged or left behind. Good team, almost no turnover in the last couple years. Huge business partners that bring big volume and technical challenges.

ConsThe business is complicated. As others have mentioned, new people have a lot to learn in the first year. You really can't just code, you need to understand the business as well.

Moving to a new office next year, no more panoramic canyon view.

Horrible place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at CSA Travel Protection

ProsWork is not challenging and repetitive.
Job security if you want to work with ancient technology.

ConsNo career path, deals with shitty bosses, no encouragement for researching new technology.

Advice to Senior Managementbe prepared to be a robot and follow all instructions from the boss. Do no come up with new ideas because that will not be respected at all.

The employer of choice in San Diego? Get ready to drink the kool-aid....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Cookies
Nice view from the building of the Interstate
Friendly people
Decent PTO/Vacation rates for first year employees
Great people watching
Interesting stories for future coworkers

ConsThe employer of choice in San Diego..... no one in San Diego has even heard of this company.

In the first year you learn about the company, the industry and operations after that you realize you've learned everything there is to learn. You then spend the rest of your time redoing the same projects over and over again. This company is in the dark ages and you spend much of your time overcompensating for poor business systems and even poorer business practices. Upper management was distrustful and out of touch with workers.

Everyone in upper management has either done serious booty kissing or must have KGB like secrets on the company. If you are in upper management don't get to comfy in that fancy chair...they recycle through executives like it is going out of style.

The pay is poor and your often wonder how certain people manage to keep their jobs. You are lucky if half the people you encounter operate in a professional manner.

Bottom line is that if you are smart you'll be gone in a couple of years. However the plus side is you will leave with ridiculous stories that will make your future coworkers laugh so hard they will cry.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop drinking your own kool-aid like it is champagne. Wake up and weed through the positions that you have at the main office. Your sales staff is laughable and are really just glorified Customer Service associates. Stop making so many changes to the products and if they really don't work then stop selling them.

Not terrible, too much change

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at CSA Travel Protection

ProsCasual environment, great department level management, good benefits package including full medical/dental/vision. There are advancement options, however the process seems to be based on "who you know" more than actual qualifications

ConsBarely adequate pay, with little to no room for performance based increases within a position. There are too many different products, making the job unnecessarily complicated. Seems as if the company philosophy is to do whatever it takes to sign an account, regardless of the consequences

Advice to Senior ManagementDesign products that will be attractive to a wide array of business partners, and find a sales staff that is able to sell them. The current sales group is unable to sell anything if they don't bend over completely backwards and give partners overly generous commission models and often silly plan options

Steady jobs for HS graduates; a dead-end for professionals

N/A (Former Employee)

I worked at CSA Travel Protection

ProsIt's a steady job if you keep your head low and just go with the flow. There are a lot of people there who have no college degrees or have degrees in hard-to-market areas (e.g. English Lit). For those people this place is great. It's very casual and non-demanding.

ConsFor a professional, employment with CSA is pretty much a dead-end job. The first year you may learn the specifics of the domain and the company, but after that everything is the same year in and out. The insurance market is mostly unexplored, but the company so far has chosen the status quo approach to marketing, so you won't find anything new or exciting.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating their professional staff as CSD drones and micro-manage. You hire people for their skills and knowledge. Make a decision about the company's direction and let people do their jobs.

Worked for CSA Travel Protection? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CSA Travel Protection reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CSA Travel Protection CEO Thierry Depois. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by CSA Travel Protection employees.