CSAA Insurance Group

www.aaa4insurance.com

CSAA Insurance Group Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
CSAA Insurance Group – Walnut Creek – “Station Landing”

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey

Paula Downey

Pros
  • Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families(in 40 reviews)

• Good team work with most groups I work with, pretty good benefits, supportive environment(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other(in 31 reviews)

• In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives(in 18 reviews)

Analyst

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work life balance, good people to work with, opportunities to develop yourself through training, online classes, stable company, volunteering opportunities. Overall, it's a good experience.

ConsTechnology challenges even though the company is starting to address these, senior leadership needs to focus on strategy and plan on how to grow the company.

Great work life balance, no career growth.

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsLots of flexibility, reasonable workload expectation, work from home one day a week (optional).

ConsComplete lack of internal career track planning or development. They expect high caliber people to come in and improve their accounting infrastructure yet they offer no path of growth. The business is very flat so there is a lack of organic oppurtunities, projects and room for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career paths in the organization. If you don't create meaningful ways for people to grow internally they will leave taking they talent and CSAA knowledge with them so that they can continue to grow elsewhere.

Love the company as a consumer

Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsYou get paid. It's got a stellar reputation for serving customers. This is not headed in the right direction, sorry to say.

ConsI was the only person born in the USA and every single co worker left is from India, There is no diversity in the office it's 100% Indian immigrants who onlt speak English as required for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't create an environment where Americans are too different from the norm to thrive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good

Property Casualty Agent (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGood leadership in the company,

Consbad pressure in the company,

Advice to Senior Managementgood

A company with an identity crisis

Claims Service Representative (Current Employee)

Prosdecent pay
    opportunities to telecommute
    people/co workers are great
    Good reputation

ConsCSAA tries to model & operate themselves like other companies in this industry but instead is run like a private social club with a broken compass. Management & employees can be cliquish and do things based on favoritism. Work life balance is lip service as there is none, least of all in claims. Frequent changes in management, co direction, name changes (you name it) adds frustration & instability to an already stressful job riddled with ridiculous metrics and suffocating workloads. The co has a myopic vision and maintains no specific strategy long enough to help it get there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the office & into the trenches with people you manage as some decision currently being made seem out of touch. Develop a cohesive strategy & implement progressive changes rather than constantly shifting gears to see what works.

Pro Management over worked

Senior Damage Representative (Former Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

Proscompany car freedom 401k

Cons60 to 70 hour work week pro heath insurance

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get back bone

Seriously consider other choices

Insurance Service Specialist (Former Employee) Hamilton, NJ

ProsPay, though do expect the occasional paycheck problem. Free parking (some perk!) You will stay busy. They have a cafeteria on site. You'll learn any job you had before was probably a good job in comparison and you'll learn from your mistake. Perfect place to work if you are trying to stay away from your family - you'll never see them, and when you do, you'll be so stressed they won't want to see you.

ConsMany of us said as we walked by the conference rooms where they were interviewing that we felt the impulse to run in and let the candidate know to consider their other choices. As it is, new employees regularly start looking elsewhere shortly after they are trained. The expectations are completely unreal. They want you to take call after call, and tell you to do your paperwork "in between calls". There isn't any in between - especially from customers who are regularly screaming about the service or mistakes on their policies. Your choices are either to do your legally required paperwork in between calls or more realistically, during breaks and after or before work. A LOT just "gets buried" - the overworked agent either forgot or never knew. Once initially trained, there is no update training inspite of having classrooms with thousand dollars worth of equipment, unless you think an email training. For that matter, try getting the email - you may have been dropped from the list! The latest I heard was that new employees cannot take vacation for the first year - any vacation time will be assigned one day here or there by the company. Is that even legal? And these poor people don't even get two days off in a row - and are expected to work every Saturday with little to no chance of ever getting off. Don't think you will get any sympathy if you have a sick child, pending surgery, medical condition, school appointment, or three feet of snow. Your expected to be there every day, and stay later if required. In the three years I was there my health was deteriorating, as your never allowed out of that seat except your assigned break or lunch (which you may find yourself still doing paperwork). Computing system is a nightmare. There is no way to look up information on line - you have to rely on word of mouth, what you may have written on some sheet, training materials which do not cover everything, and trying to chase down a supervisor. Customers get three bills, varying amounts, no bill, or confusing letters or statements. The CEO from 3 years ago is still the signature on letters going out. Supervisors vary in quality - some are good, some should not be supervisors as their MO is to avoid answering your questions (but remind you to take calls faster). Bonuses were done away with for call agents last year so not sure if that changed. They demand you meet a certain level of "cross sales", leads to getting the customer another policy - but they have not grown the infrastructure right nor are you compensated much. Many call takers were using tactics to make their sales look higher - the "push the caller to the sales side", or "keep talking until they beg to listen so they can get off the call" were a few of the techniques. This is critical if you want a reasonable schedule and a vacation. Vacation? You need to "bid" for your vacation, so plan ahead in November, and if you don't get the bid, you are out of luck. Seriously. Not even "would you take a different week". And again, if you didn't get the email, you will wait another year. This does cause a problem when people are over the limit with vacation - they may be forced to take time off at the Company's choice -or get paid. You bid for your schedule every year too so if you have a small child - seriously reconsider this as this change happens in January. New hire pay has dropped drastically in the past three years, yet work increased tremendously - supporting two states before, now six states when I left. In the three years I worked, 44 people left out of approximately 70 in the last two. They used to be selective about new hires being licensed or meeting standards when trained. Now, any warm body with clothing on willing to take the chance is welcome. Dress has gone from business casual to ghetto. Site managment is weak and non-existent. Finally, the most chilling was the "disappearances" of employees. Some people may have deserved to be let go, but there are those who were let go for trumped up charges, usually attendance (only allowed 5 occurances for a year and that includes calling out sick). Oddly enough, if you are favored, you get to stay, no matter what your work performance is or what problems you caused. It does appear that if you are on the west coast, treatment may be better, if you are on the east coast, you really are low life stepchild. There was a program to volunteer on the outside for a good cause, but if you had a job with no backup, you could never participate. This place sounds great until you get inside. I've never ever written a review like this one, and hope I never do again.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep back from trying to grow the company and try looking at whatever remaining talent you have. Let people get time off - particularly because it is a high stress job. Try calling other insurance companies and compare levels of service. You may be shocked. Try offering perks like giving points to people when they volunteer or do well on a difficult call - and allow them a day off when they reach 100. And let them take the day off! Let people know what their holiday schedule is six weeks in advance instead of a few days before. Put forms people need in a format that allows them to access them quickly instead of hunting for them. When someone has lost their voice from a cold - do the smart thing and allow them to do processing instead of sending them home (and remember that's an occurance!) The place was a hotbed of germs since you used your vacation time as sick time. Give your employees a break and they may reward you 10 fold. Finally, word of mouth is the best advertiser. Every employee should want to get your insurance and should be telling their family and friends about it. Right now I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Awful culture + poor management + bleak future = DON'T WORK HERE!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

Pros- Good pay
    - Onsite cafeteria
    - OK benefits
    - Nice building and parking garage(it's pretty bad when the GARAGE is one of the only pros)
    - I have to believe some departments have decent leadership (every so often I actually see people smiling)

Cons- Antiquated systems -- they are in the DARK AGES; nothing worth learning here - kiss of death for resume
    - Business makes countless errors (some BIG errors) that negatively impact customers...rests on the AAA brand to mask the poor service; I'm stunned anyone would want CSAA as their insurer given the endless mistakes
    - Business isn't stand-alone, it totally relies on AAA Clubs - this broken system won't sustain the company; competitors have a HUGE advantage over CSAA
    - Awful culture in key departments; it's like high school, with lots of cliques and people who have worked together for years, and new people are not welcome; backstabbing is a COMMON occurrence and you have to watch your back all the time
    - No support from management -- they don't want to innovate, they only reward old-school thinking; aren't skilled as PEOPLE managers and can't be trusted; too many sacred cows who plan to die there
    - Employee morale is HORRIBLE and turnover is increasing now that the economy is better; everyone I know is looking and can't wait to get out and write negative GlassDoor reviews; I couldn't wait until I found another role to write this and warn people -- candidates deserve to know how bad it is here!! Contractors and full-time candidates should BEWARE and AVOID THIS COMPANY!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the morale and how many people are quitting. There are obvious reasons why you WEREN'T voted one of the Best Places to Work last year. You're so proud of your 100 years, but you have no chance of being around much longer if you don't wake up and make critical changes. Your competitors are are MILES ahead of you. With current management and environment, I don't see how you will survive.

Dont work here if you have children and a family!!!!!

Insurance Service Specialist (Former Employee) Hamilton, NJ

ProsSecure and clean building, nice security guards, good parking, the lot is well lit at night. Thats about the only pros about this company

ConsAbsolutely HORRIBLE management! If you are a butt kisser then you will go far at this company! Supervisors are awful, they will do and say ANYTHING to get out of taking calls from angry insureds. Management is EXTREMELY ABUSIVE to the staff that's not in their "clique"
    UNFAIR scoring during monthly call monitoring. They say calls are chosen at random, and that's complete bull crap!! Employees can never do anything right, it's always, "you shouldn't say OK, you shouldn't say can you hold a moment" etc. The supervisors are almost always unavailable to assist you, but then if a mistake is made or wrong information is given you better believe you will be SEVERELY reprimanded!! This is the WORST company I have ever worked for! I discourage anyone I talk to from doing business with CSAA/AAA because of the abusive way the employees are treated! Management and the employees that are in their "clique" sit around and talk crap about other employees and how they dont know what they are doing and also talk about employees personal business!! That is VERY unprofessional for a supervisor to talk to another team member about the personal issues that an employee is having!! Forget ever trying to call out sick!! They WILL write you up for it! and trying to get a scheduled day off is near impossible! CSAA/AAA is NOT a family friendly company! If you are single with no children and no social life at all then this is the job for you! CSAA expects their employees to live and breathe for the company! In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives!!! Its just a terrible place and my heart goes out to all the wonderful people I worked with in the trenches who do their best everyday to assist insureds and they just keep getting kicked and knocked down by management!! Way to boost morale idiots!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together! Stop abusing you workers! Try getting on the phones and doing what they do and deal with what they deal with on a daily basis and see how "perfect" you would be! I bet none of you would score over a 98% on every call!! As for the CEO and the "Big Man" who comes there once or twice a year, you dont see what really goes on!! Employees are TOLD oh Tony's coming so make sure you all dress nice and clean your desks and watch what you say. When he is there its a great time for CSAA employees because thats the ONLY time the management doesnt abuse the staff!! They want him to think they are well liked by the employees when its quite the opposite!

A discriminatory insurance group

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Walnut, CA

ProsGood benefits, good pay , good pro time

ConsIf you’re a caucasian White his is a great company to work for. If you’re a muslim and form different country of origin not a good place to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your work!

Worked for CSAA Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!