CSAA Insurance Group

www.aaa4insurance.com

CSAA Insurance Group Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
CSAA Insurance Group – Walnut Creek – “Station Landing”

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey

Paula Downey

Pros
  • Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families(in 40 reviews)

• Good team work with most groups I work with, pretty good benefits, supportive environment(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other(in 31 reviews)

• In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives(in 18 reviews)

Producer (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsWorking for AAA Insurance has been educational. It's a small but stable enough company to learn the ropes of insurance.
    The company truly cares about their clients. They are really there to help, so you're able to go to bed feeling good about the job that you're doing.

ConsIf you get into one of the small entrepreneurial offices it's near impossible to work your way up.
    No employment guidelines for entrepreneurs so absolutely zero benefits and little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your front-line workers. And be realistic about deadlines.

Good company to work for, taxing career.

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent training and benefits, knowledgeable staff and management.

ConsThe position was extremely stressful, but the challenge was pretty fun.

A good place to work.

ProsThe people are good and have a great deal of integrity. There is a sound business strategy in place and the leadership team is focused on execution.

ConsThe Company has material dependencies on the insurance selling partner clubs and their agents. CSAA Insurance Group does not have direct control over these groups. Not a con per se - but it does make create and interesting operating model.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company held back by top leadership with lack of creativity, dysfunctional personal skills, and narrow competency

Insurance (Former Employee)

ProsCompany good at workplace employee activities - walking, fitness, volunteer work.
    So long as lay-off is avoided, this is a stable job with reasonable hours for most employees.

ConsLack of leadership, foresight and cooperation at executive level trickles down through organization causing instability, lack of direction, inefficiency. A lot of wasted money and time. CEO and top officers seem to criticize each other, lack teamwork, seek scapegoats and spend very little time actually being involved with the company. (See approval rating of CEO on this page.) Company uses lay-offs and expensive consultants too frequently, losing good employees while sometimes promoting persons with limited ability or experience. Fairly flat organizational structure limits advancement opportunity and employee willingness to take responsibility for more work for no personal benefit. Limited salary increases after joining company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire top management from successful large insurance providers to take company into future. Get board members that are not just more AAA club reps with no company experience. Try to reduce isolation of leadership - increase interactions across levels to increase upper management knowledge and experience of all departments. Don't do 100 major projects all at once, ensuring that none get done well or quickly.

Great company to work for- specifcally in the Glendale office

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsCompensation programs and salary are excellent!

Conscross functional communications could improve across units

Consistent and stable

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

Pros- Pay and benefits are good
    - People stick around a while, creating a bit of a family atmosphere
    - People genuinely care for our customers and want to make a positive impact

Cons- Not great at setting realistic project deadlines - seem to set unrealistic targets and move the dates out later
    - Not great at holding accountability, though always trying to improve
    - The "family" culture leads to the need to know people to get work done. Busy people are more likely to help you when they know you. This was challenging when I was new.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet realistic project deadlines, not just what you think the board wants to see. The re-work for shifting dates wastes a lot of time and money.

A company with a vision

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsThe thing I like most about working for CSAA IG is that the management, starting at the C-Suite is very much focused on their strategic plans for the future. This is then communicated to the employees through their strategic playbook and their vision for the future. The management is very approachable and very nice. As a matter of fact most of the people that I have come across are really nice. Another thing I noticed is that they are very willing to move people around from one job function to another, giving people an opportunity to grow their skill-sets. This is awesome to see. They are also very much into getting their leaders in front of the employees on a regular basis. Their Chats with Leaders is excellent! As a company they really are a model for excellence. There is an on-site cafe that serves excellent food and they have an amazing salad bar. They are focused on promoting healthy eating and exercise. They have free fruit one day a week and there is a farmers market at the bart station across the street from the location. Their location couldn't be better.

ConsAs a contractor we are not allow to participate in a lot of the functions that are available to regular FTEs. Contractors are limited to 2 years and then they are no longer extended. Pockets of upper management have issues with their leadership style. Nothing too out of the ordinary for any company really.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all of the managers on board with what is being taught through their extensive leadership program. There are pockets of upper management that are more destructive than others. They somehow need to figure out who these managers are and either address their behavior and if that doesn't work get rid of them. This is not something unique to CSAA, as all companies deal with these types of challenges. CSAA has the potential to be an exceptional employer as long as they keep those with destructive behaviors from bringing their employee morale down.

Fantastic Flace to work

IT Manager II (Current Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsOpportunity rich environment with leadership inplace to make things happen

Consalignment across organization needs some work

A company that cares about its employees development and satisfaction

ProsThe employees and management are nice and down to Earth. The company cares about quality of life and about being a good corporate citizen. There are a lot of opportunities for professional development.

ConsCross-functional communications need improvement. Some people do not want to work hard which brings down the group. Its hard to figure out who does what at the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind opportunities for people to advance. There are a large number of people who have been at the company for many years. While their experience is valuable, there should be room for others to advance.

Negative MIcromanagement

Home Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThe salary is positive for the position--the starting pay and accrual of pto is excellent----if you a minority group they promote diversity

ConsManagement as a whole is very poor--highly disorganized and extremely negative toward their employees, unrealistic expectations, micromanagement at its worst..Customer service is not a priority--their health insurance consists of a high deductible HSA with a high premium-

Advice to Senior Managementstart over and make customer service and your employees first--remove management that are known to be abusive toward their employees--if you have several employees walking out the door under a certain manager take a closer look-

Worked for CSAA Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!