CSAA Insurance Group

Updated December 2, 2014
2.7

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Pros
  • Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families (in 40 reviews)

• Good benefits if you can handle the environment (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other (in 31 reviews)

• In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Like Family

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A wonderful company to work for. Co-workers are helpful and supportive. Departments are like small families.

Cons

Difficult to move upwards in your department. If you want to move up, you need a degree or experience in the field you are looking for.

Great company

Current Employee - Customer Service in Peoria, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Peoria, AZ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For not having a degree the starting salary is pretty good. Meeting new people everyday and the training about insurance is top par. They promise a lot about moving up as long as your numbers are good.

Cons

This is a call center position. They do have a high rate of turnover. Long hours and it gets pretty boring after a while.

Have more incentives for people to move up.

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having just celebrated its 100th anniversary, CSAA Insurance Group is growing and is a vibrant place to work. It's nice to see the company invest significantly in technology upgrades. The company also has an active volunteerism program, robust wellness initiatives, excellent professional development programs/classes and a strong focus on diversity and inclusion.

Cons

Although it's an exciting time, workload can be challenging given all the transformational programs and projects in flight right now.

Continue to be focused on the company's culture; it's a great asset!

company offers heavy work load with unrealistic goals to employees

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working here because people that work here are generally kind and love their work, like family. Company offers great benefits and wonderful volunteer programs. An organization that cares about their employees.

Cons

Due to top management inefficiency that results in constant re-organizations, work load is increasing and job is becoming more stressful.

Due to top management inefficiency that results in constant re-organizations, it results in an unrealistic workload with outrageous expectations to go along with it. Commit to the more important project and see them through. Also, don't become part of the problem by sending jobs overseas but be part of the solution.

Awesome Company.

Former Employee - Homeowners Service Agent in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Homeowners Service Agent in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome Company. Great pay benefits. Vacations. Nice calm atmosphere. Advancement is easy and encouraged.

Cons

Call center environment. Elevator was slow. Had to walk OFF the property at break to smoke...BIG PARKING LOT TO WALK ACROSS

Keep up the great work

Company is slowly spiraling towards bankruptcy.

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid back environment, this can be both a pro and a con, depending on your perspective. There are times it makes it nice to work here, but be prepared to have every project you work on fail, and be prepared to work with grossly incompetent people who will never get reprimanded or fired. In fact they will get raises and promotions at the same rate as everyone else based solely on tenure.

Cons

Company is slowly going under. Large companies don't go bankrupt overnight, it is a long, slow, painful process. The company has not kept up with the times. No internet capabilities, no mobile capabilities, no new strategies, no national ad campaign, billing an payments is a mess, telephony is a mess, product management has no vision, no use of algorithms or analytics, basic reporting and metric tracking is a huge mess. This company is being run like a regional insurance company from the 90's.

The C suit and the board are primarily focused on syphoning money out of the company while it is going under. They force large contracts with vendors who they have an interest in, and stand to gain from the transactions. If they wanted to make a difference, I would suggest modernizing the company on all fronts. They claim this is a priority, but these projects move so slowly that we actually fall further behind in the process. The members of the BOD who actually care about the company should fire the CEO & CIO, and force out the other board members who are syphoning money from the company.

Poor Leaders in Our Community

Current Employee - Bodily Injury Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Bodily Injury Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The obvious positives are employment and if you are an entry level employee, there will be room for some advancement.

Cons

CSAA has no advancement opportunities for mid level to tenured employees, supervisors do not believe in mentoring their employees but instead use wrongful termination practices targeting long term employees with higher salaries, there are no set standards and practices in writing, no up training provided and the workload is out of control.

Front lines employees are the direct contact with your customers making good on the promises your agents sell. It is time to pay fair salaries, retain quality employees instead of head counts and take a very close look at who you currently have in supervision. When an entire team of tenured adjusters with no history of performance issues fails, it could just be your leadership.

Most Poorly run Company Ever

Former Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Going home at the end of a mentally, and emotionally draining day.

Cons

Training is a joke. Supervisors in the same department do not follow the same guidelines, then write up employees because they acted on the direction of their last supervisor or a current co-sup. Those who work hard and honestly who arrive daily and put in a good old fashioned day, are told they are not good enough. Employees who are rude, take shortcuts, and do a poor customer service and claims job are revered fir being speedy. People who are terrible game players and slackers land great promotions because they: sleep with, party with, suck up to, or are related to higher ups. If you are gay you will have great success, but do not be older, that will put you on the to go list. The entire center functions on this mentality: the rules we have today, are the ones we will rae you on, until we change them next week or even tomorrow. We will tell some of you abut the changes but not all of you. The rules e had last week never existed and we will stick to that story. We will fire you for doing something we actually told you to do, and we will write you up, before your supervisor. Even though They are the ones who messed up. Have a nice day!

Save your money, no one else will ever let you function like this. There is no other company in the State that will put up with your shenanigans. When the doors close and you are unemployed you will need a good savings account to get by.

Management !

Current Employee - Total Loss Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Total Loss Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary. Used to be a good place to work for.

Cons

4 out of 5 supervisors got their position because of their "friendship" or direct relatives who are managers or supervisors, most of the time, "the protected" employees are the worst in every aspect.
    Top performers are considered complainers. Top performers are expected to do their own job and the job of the "protected employees" so friends and relatives of management don't look bad.

Company is changing for the worse. You need to start looking at mangers and supervisors, then employees.
    DONT FIRE EMPLOYEES JUST BECUSE THEY ARE OVER 50 YEARS OLD.

Just Don't Do It

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They will bring in food every blue moon and hand out candy like we're children.

Cons

In my years of working in the insurance industry I've never experienced a company like this. There are so many morons who are supervisors and managers you have no idea how they even put their clothes on in the morning. I truly believe you get promoted for being a moron or a friend of the moron (which makes you a moron) as the morons do not want the good employees to promote. The reason for this is simply the morons do not want to work so they pass everything over to the good employees to do for them. Oh and if you're gay congratulations you will be hired immediately even if you too are in in fact a moron. Actually they probably prefer you to be one. Nobody likes working here that has any brain capacity because you have to listen to endless droning meetings by more morons who are supposed to know what they are talking about but they don't. They purchased the CAS system which is supposed to make claims easier for the adjusters however anyone who works in claims knows that's bs because the stupid system asks you to type the same thing in 5 times on 5 different screens. Oh and on top of the pointless screens you still have to put everything in your notes so make that 6 screens with the same information. Oops sorry I forgot about linking documents so 7 screens. Anyway you get he idea.

I don't know what to say except thanks for mediocre paycheck for doing mine and my bosses work.

CSAA Insurance Group Photos