CSAA Insurance Group

Updated October 29, 2014
2.8

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Pros
  • Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families (in 40 reviews)

• Good benefits if you can handle the environment (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other (in 31 reviews)

• In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

company offers heavy work load with unrealistic goals to employees

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working here because people that work here are generally kind and love their work, like family. Company offers great benefits and wonderful volunteer programs. An organization that cares about their employees.

Cons

Due to top management inefficiency that results in constant re-organizations, work load is increasing and job is becoming more stressful.

Due to top management inefficiency that results in constant re-organizations, it results in an unrealistic workload with outrageous expectations to go along with it. Commit to the more important project and see them through. Also, don't become part of the problem by sending jobs overseas but be part of the solution.

Too much leadership fever, not enough focus on hard skills.

Current Employee - Insurance Analyst
    Current Employee - Insurance Analyst

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They make a big deal out of their culture of diversity, caring, and relationship driven business model. So no one is going to be overtly nasty to you. In fact, generally people are quite friendly, which is crucial considering you spend about a third of your life with these people.

Cons

This culture of friendliness fosters a haven for incompetent people. As a result, the pay scale is rather flat for outstanding employees and the below mediocre ones. Also, they have 'leadership' fever. Once you get to a certain point in your career, you are supposed to make a choice between the individual contributor route or management route. It doesn't matter how outstanding you are as an individual contributor, if you are not perceived to possess certain 'soft' skills, you are not going to make management. At the same time, there is an incredible barrier for individual contributors to be promoted after a certain point. There are only a handful of analysts with similar mapping to lvl 1 manager, but the number of lvl 1 managers outweighs number of these analysts at least 2 to 1.
    As a result of this, a lot of analysts focus on people and project management skills, or rather managing up, instead of putting in the necessary work to hone their technical skills. But that's ok, because delegation is a crucial leadership skill here.

Safe and Stable

Current Employee - Predictive Modeler in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Predictive Modeler in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office culture is nice. It is very hard to get fired since they are focused on keeping people for the long run.

Cons

It is very hard to get fired since they are focused on keeping people for the long run. Therefore, accountability is not stressed and metiocrity, even total failure, is tolerated. It cascades into all aspects of the business and the data situation is horrendous. They are trying to adapt to a 5 year old technology, which tells you where they are now today.

Get some better data governance and management. It means that the workers cannot achieve their best because they have to stoop low to the company's level and base capabilities. It is kind of sad that they cant even get their numbers to add and subtract correctly...

Great Company

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working for the company

Cons

There were not a lot of opportunities for movement

claims adjuster

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

pay time off, you will move fast if you are part of the inner circle

Cons

unprofessional leaders, job is stressful beyond anything you can think of, rules constantly changing and your work load is constantly increasing

Consultant

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Newer technology being adopted and a few great managers (most under 2 years at this organization)

Cons

Incompetent managers not being terminated for nepotism or politics.

Include outside consultants in performance reviews of managers regarding hard and soft skills. Unqualified Managers lack both leadership and technical skillets to accomplish C level strategies. Severe lack of insight due to minimal reporting from old manual methods.

Great place to work. I worked at the Oklahoma City branch from October 2013 to May 2014

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working at AAA. The culture rewards quick minded workers, which was suited to me. Each of the supervisors I had (Brian Glut and Adam Terneus) were competent, intelligent, professional, and friendly in their own way. I have a general disdain for stupidity in leadership, and our management was always great.

Professional growth is a focus, and they outline the ways in which you can be successful well.
    AAA had a pretty good benefit and PTO structure.
    The culture was also a very positive exprience for me. It never felt dreary, and they were clearly going for a "cool place to work" feel.
    I made about 17.50/hr at AAA as a claims adjuster

Cons

I was constantly talking on the phone, which may be good for some but was not ideal for me
    It was a community based working environment, which means you pick up the slack for lazy or incompetent adjusters.
    People yell at you when claims don't turn out how they want. I didn't mind this so much because I found humor in it, but it could be bad if you don't handle confrontation well.

Great Company, Some departments need better structure.

Current Employee - Homeowner Claims in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Homeowner Claims in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AAA is a very diverse company to work for, they offer good benefits, a nice amount of paid time off, annual profit bonus, and the atmosphere is very nice.

Cons

The department I worked in was not as organized as others and extremely under staffed. A high turn over will remain until this department organizes itself better.

Management

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The front line agents that are just trying to make a living

Cons

Leadership and visions. Some leaders are not even known because they sit in their office all day

Don't hide things from the employees. They will hide things until after employee survey is done so they make sure they get a good results. The only reason this is important is for the leadership bonuses, which front line agents don't see. But management will be very touchy with the thousands they get for their bonus.

Marketing

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company if you are looking to retire. Their team isn't very faced based so you can literally get most of the work done in 2-3 hours and you will still look like a star.

Cons

Not very challenging. Lower salary than competiton but of course you work A LOT less hard than most Bay Area companies.

If I were higher manager, I would change a lot of the leadership and management and get more efficient employees.

CSAA Insurance Group Photos