CSAA Insurance Group

Updated September 24, 2014
2.8

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Pros
  • Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families (in 40 reviews)

• Good benefits if you can handle the environment (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other (in 31 reviews)

• In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Consultant

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Newer technology being adopted and a few great managers (most under 2 years at this organization)

Cons

Incompetent managers not being terminated for nepotism or politics.

Include outside consultants in performance reviews of managers regarding hard and soft skills. Unqualified Managers lack both leadership and technical skillets to accomplish C level strategies. Severe lack of insight due to minimal reporting from old manual methods.

Great place to work. I worked at the Oklahoma City branch from October 2013 to May 2014

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working at AAA. The culture rewards quick minded workers, which was suited to me. Each of the supervisors I had (Brian Glut and Adam Terneus) were competent, intelligent, professional, and friendly in their own way. I have a general disdain for stupidity in leadership, and our management was always great.

Professional growth is a focus, and they outline the ways in which you can be successful well.
    AAA had a pretty good benefit and PTO structure.
    The culture was also a very positive exprience for me. It never felt dreary, and they were clearly going for a "cool place to work" feel.
    I made about 17.50/hr at AAA as a claims adjuster

Cons

I was constantly talking on the phone, which may be good for some but was not ideal for me
    It was a community based working environment, which means you pick up the slack for lazy or incompetent adjusters.
    People yell at you when claims don't turn out how they want. I didn't mind this so much because I found humor in it, but it could be bad if you don't handle confrontation well.

Great Company, Some departments need better structure.

Current Employee - Homeowner Claims  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Homeowner Claims in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

AAA is a very diverse company to work for, they offer good benefits, a nice amount of paid time off, annual profit bonus, and the atmosphere is very nice.

Cons

The department I worked in was not as organized as others and extremely under staffed. A high turn over will remain until this department organizes itself better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Room for improvement

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Life work balance, great career development programs

Cons

Slow pace for changes, people are not always being held accountable for their actions, poor change management and project management

It will be helpful to bring the right people in the right place. Sometimes incompetency creates frustration, lowers standards and employee morale.

CSAA is on the way out of the industry

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits if you can handle the environment. But as with any corporation today benefits are going by the wayside.

Cons

Management at this company needs improvement- if they have to find another job they will be in for a BIG surprise.THe company waited too long to upgrade the systems (when I worked there I worked on over 10 different systems one being DOS ) and are behind the 8 ball now. They purchased an off the shelf software that will not meet the company needs even with customization.
    It is too bad the insurance side of the house is not run like the roadside assistance company.

The company does endorse diversity but practices age discrimination. As a San Francisco based company they are gay centric, which is okay but not to the exclusion of others. They used to treat the employees better but recently have done less and less ( like giving only one person a bonus versus dividing the large amount amongst more employees) and this really affects the morale on the floor. IT IS A CALL CENTER - and they want to shortcut in claims. In the 15+ years of working in claims I never had a DOI complaint but the new younger (translate FAST) employees have them all the time. Claims requires experience and if you don't retain experience it will rapidly become apparent to the members.

Clean house on the upper management. Bring in fresh new candidates and let them improve the status quo. Claims are hard enough with out all the stress the management at CSAA cause daily. Management gets its bonus based on what the lower echelon does performance wise - who wants to perform when they are put under a thumb everyday? Practice the core values not just give them lip service.

Great place to build a lasting career

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

People, advancement opportunities, culture, benefits and pay

Cons

The pace of business decisions, execution and delivery can move slow at times

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to all the good things out of the many big initiatives underway.

Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Claims Representative III  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Claims Representative III in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits are the only good thing this company has to offer.

Cons

I've been in the work place for over 30 yrs and I have never had such a terrible job experience. Managers have no idea how to manage. Anyone over the age of 50 better be on their toes or you will find yourself out of a job- They're so wrapped up in diversity that they can't see how badly their management team is. When I first started with the company, it was a wonderful place to work and then new management took over and the morale went downhill. Thank goodness I was able to retire out of there.

take some classes in how to manage people and how to hire good supervisors. They are so worried about young ages and college degrees they fail to look at he older and more experience workers. They keep saying that this is not a call center, they actually think the employees believe this. It is so a call center experience -where all that matters is numbers, not how customers are taken care of. I'd be shocked to see this office still here in 5 years

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you're Caucasian or gay- this is a dream place to be!

Cons

A racist bias community- Management brings their own kind- Sorry, no Jews or Muslims!

Continue your good work - most-likely you all be out of business!

Delusional and under-performing

Former Employee - Technical Delivery Manager  in  Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Delivery Manager in Glendale, AZ

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to retire while working - low expectations by leaders (compared to real performance in the industry) make this an undemanding workplace.

Cons

Old, tired and visionless leadership creates an unchallenging work environment. No one is accountable for failures so it is frustrating that constant poor performers are all around.

Organic growth is not outperforming in this industry.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

benefits are good but dwindling fast. Pay can be good but other insurance companies pay much better.

Cons

the management at this company is the Peter principle at its best. They want EVERYTHING and still meet DOI guidelines.Employees are promoted after getting pregnant with their manager and nepotism is rampant. While diversity is embraced if you are gay you are put on an inside track to get ahead. They Definitely practice age discrimination. The work environment where you are in constant fear of being fired, written up or chastised in public is the everyday norm.This company is prime pickings for a takeover.

You want young unskilled underpaid employees and will end up with a company on the downturn. There are no shortcuts in claims.

CSAA Insurance Group Photos

Station Landing

+ Add Photo

Worked for CSAA Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!