CSAA Insurance Group
www.aaa4insurance.com Walnut Creek, CA 5000+ Employees

CSAA Insurance Group Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
CSAA Insurance Group – Walnut Creek – “Station Landing”

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey

Paula Downey

Pros:
  • "Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Good team work with most groups I work with, pretty good benefits, supportive environment"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other"
    in 31 reviews
  • "In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Looking for a Good Company to work for

Walnut Creek, CA

ProsMost of the people in the company really want the company to continue with its successes. In the IT area, people (in general) have high praises for the CIO, whom is open and down to earth. His Direct Reports all seem to share the CIO's views on being transparent. All are competent.

ConsLike many long-established companies, CSAA is slow to make necessary changes to make room for efficiencies. In one non-IT area, it has taken over a year of reform promises and yet, that has not yet happen.

It's a job

ProsThis is a lifestyle job. So if you have a family and like to spend time with them, this is the place to be. There is flexibility to take care of your life and kids without that stressful feeling.

ConsThey are behind in technology. Way too many politics, whose in charge?

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there is a disconnect between what they want and what they want to be. The company has longevity in its corner, but any new executive that comes in wants to change a culture that works.

Insurance Customer Service Associate

Insurance Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
    Glendale, AZ

ProsExcellent culture, paid for me to get my Insurance license and I was promoted with a $3 per hour raise in my first year.

ConsIt takes some time to build up the stats to get the day shift but he shift bids are based on performance to I was able to set a goal and achieve the shifts I wanted.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible leadership in IT. Lecture about holding people accountable, yet politics play a large part in daily culture.

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Glendale, AZ

ProsIt's easy work since there is a lack of accountability. This can become very frustrating since most time is spent working in meetings, getting folks on the same page, etc since leadership is so bad. There is no strategic management since the CIO is busy on new deliveries and there is no operational and application focus. Application area is all political, no accountability, mostly just presentations and talk.

ConsPoor leadership at director level and above, leads to conflicting middle managers which drives politics. More effort could be placed on getting everyone on the same page, then hold managers accountable for delivery. No policies, managers can tend to drive poor behavior such as unauthorized change, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a CIO that is operational focused, or a leader that can drive standard operations. Application leadership should drive standards as well, and drive more accountability to deliver. Less presentations and more action.

An exercise in frustration

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThe people in this company are keeping this company alive, a few of the managers are truly dedicated to a work-life balance and genuinely care for there employees. A few of the employees left are also quite dedicated to truly giving the customer a great insurance experience. The employees MAKE this company.

ConsMiddle management is completely disconnected from upper management, the "work-life balance" and "members come first" montra is completely discarded as soon as the bosses in California aren't watching. A concentration on employee metrics instead of taking care of the member/customer creates competing priorities in abundance. This company is completely reactionary, there seems to be no cohesive plan for it's future, a problem is only solved after it is unavoidable. The training and tools given to it's dedicated front line employees are minimal and broken. I find it sad frankly, to see this icon of Americana abandoning its insurance customers and employees like so many cars on a desert highway. It may be too late now to make the simple changes in it's antiquated corporate structure and vision that would save this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no reason at all to have an attrition rate so high. Take a look at your priorities, lip service to work-life balance and volunteerism won't do, that HAS to be in PRACTICE! Hire a trainer! Write a training manual that explains insurance, rather than how to negotiate 15 different computer systems. An employee can no longer be an expendable commodity, a manager should be a support system for their employees, not a babysitter.

Solid company, nice perks, crusty old technology

Walnut Creek, CA

ProsGood benefits and pay, with pension plan, and great 401k matching. Good work/life balance. 24 hours per year paid for volunteering.

ConsLots of embedded vendor technology, and technology contractors make it difficult to implement a change. Complex relationships with AAA clubs and AAA National make it even more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of using so many technology contractors and vendors, try hiring more full time employees.

Churn baby, churn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Glendale, AZ

ProsAs a consultant, I got to do cool stuff and learn a lot, thanks to a good manager who had faith I would come through for him (which I did, every time!).

ConsInternal churn. Too many different consulting firms in the mix for one program -- including the third party vendor engaged to develop the software.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou could save a lot of money by implementing business process and holding employees accountable for keeping to SLAs

Great work life balance, no career growth.

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsLots of flexibility, reasonable workload expectation, work from home one day a week (optional).

ConsComplete lack of internal career track planning or development. They expect high caliber people to come in and improve their accounting infrastructure yet they offer no path of growth. The business is very flat so there is a lack of organic oppurtunities, projects and room for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career paths in the organization. If you don't create meaningful ways for people to grow internally they will leave taking they talent and CSAA knowledge with them so that they can continue to grow elsewhere.

Great people but clueless leaders

Director (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsCSAA has a legacy brand that other companies would kill for. They also have billions of assets to cushion their mistakes.

ConsUnfortunately, the leadership keeps playing "spin the bottle" with their strategies and nobody has the spine to make tough decisions. They blew half a billion dollars on a new system that still isn't working and the only thing saving them is they don't fall under any public disclosure requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. You're covering the high cost of your mistakes by grinding your people and driving them away.

Analyst

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work life balance, good people to work with, opportunities to develop yourself through training, online classes, stable company, volunteering opportunities. Overall, it's a good experience.

ConsTechnology challenges even though the company is starting to address these, senior leadership needs to focus on strategy and plan on how to grow the company.

Worked for CSAA Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CSAA Insurance Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CSAA Insurance Group CEO Paula Downey. All 396 reviews posted anonymously by CSAA Insurance Group employees.