CSAA Insurance Group

Updated September 18, 2014
2.8

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Pros
  • Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families (in 40 reviews)

• Good team work with most groups I work with, pretty good benefits, supportive environment (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other (in 31 reviews)

• In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Consultant

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Newer technology being adopted and a few great managers (most under 2 years at this organization)

Cons

Incompetent managers not being terminated for nepotism or politics.

Include outside consultants in performance reviews of managers regarding hard and soft skills. Unqualified Managers lack both leadership and technical skillets to accomplish C level strategies. Severe lack of insight due to minimal reporting from old manual methods.

Great Company, Some departments need better structure.

Current Employee - Homeowner Claims  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Homeowner Claims in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

AAA is a very diverse company to work for, they offer good benefits, a nice amount of paid time off, annual profit bonus, and the atmosphere is very nice.

Cons

The department I worked in was not as organized as others and extremely under staffed. A high turn over will remain until this department organizes itself better.

Delusional and under-performing

Former Employee - Technical Delivery Manager  in  Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Delivery Manager in Glendale, AZ

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to retire while working - low expectations by leaders (compared to real performance in the industry) make this an undemanding workplace.

Cons

Old, tired and visionless leadership creates an unchallenging work environment. No one is accountable for failures so it is frustrating that constant poor performers are all around.

Organic growth is not outperforming in this industry.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Room for improvement

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Life work balance, great career development programs

Cons

Slow pace for changes, people are not always being held accountable for their actions, poor change management and project management

It will be helpful to bring the right people in the right place. Sometimes incompetency creates frustration, lowers standards and employee morale.

A caring and competent Company

Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

People that work here are kind, generous with their time, and love their work. Most are joyous and playful throughout the day. Its like a family from the first day you start. opportunities for promotion, great benefits, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Lots of information to take in when first starting there, very stressful job; but worth it.

Keeping encouraging your people...

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am really surprised by the disguntled reviews. This is an organization that cares greatly about its members/insureds and its employees in a way that is manifest over and over again. I do not observe office political and, to the contrary, admire the company for encouraging fierce discussions and creativity. The company has a clear strategy for success and has made great strides in furtherance of that strategy, particularly in building its IT infrastructure, over the past several years. I have worked at several companies and none have held a candle to CSAA IG in terms of having a quality moral compass, aiming to do right by their customers and displaying appropriate business savvy.

Cons

We excitedly await final delivery of transformational tools, which we'd have loved to have yesterday. Sometimes I wonder if too much time and energy is devoted toward being a good civic citizen and quality employer.

Keep up the good work and favorable trajectory.

IT Employee Review: OK but can be better

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generally speaking, once you are hired within the company and do somewhat ok job you are likely to be kept there for a long time. If you are looking for a "steady" place to work, this is it. CSAA IG offers competitive benefits such as 401K contributions. They also promote "Living Healthy". You can earn points to reduce the monthly premium for your health insurance. There are also many opportunities to volunteers.

Cons

If you are like me and you want to do something bigger, better and be surrounded by creative intellectual individuals as well as be in an environment that inspire you, you may want to rethink about joining the company. The IT department is located in Glendale, AZ within a call center environment. Most people there don't care about dressing up and appear to be professional (which is a pro if you are into that). Personally, I find everything about being in the Glendale facility is depressing. I used to work in a call center and getting pay way lower than CSAA IG in Tempe (Different Company) and it's so much more professionally inspiring than CSAA IG.

As I mentioned before, generally speaking things are "steady" here. So moving up to entirely different IT group can be a challenge. Politics get in the way of doing the right things but I suppose you will encounter that anywhere you work. I wonder sometimes about the culture here: How someone can barely do their jobs and made so many mistakes get away with it and actually get promoted. Anywhere else I worked before, they would have been fired.

You can't expect world-class quality employees when you are surrounded by mediocre uninspiring environment. Get the place upgraded, more open area (windows to see the outside world), better seats/cubes arrangement etc.

Great place to build a lasting career

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

People, advancement opportunities, culture, benefits and pay

Cons

The pace of business decisions, execution and delivery can move slow at times

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to all the good things out of the many big initiatives underway.

Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Claims Representative III  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Claims Representative III in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits are the only good thing this company has to offer.

Cons

I've been in the work place for over 30 yrs and I have never had such a terrible job experience. Managers have no idea how to manage. Anyone over the age of 50 better be on their toes or you will find yourself out of a job- They're so wrapped up in diversity that they can't see how badly their management team is. When I first started with the company, it was a wonderful place to work and then new management took over and the morale went downhill. Thank goodness I was able to retire out of there.

take some classes in how to manage people and how to hire good supervisors. They are so worried about young ages and college degrees they fail to look at he older and more experience workers. They keep saying that this is not a call center, they actually think the employees believe this. It is so a call center experience -where all that matters is numbers, not how customers are taken care of. I'd be shocked to see this office still here in 5 years

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you're Caucasian or gay- this is a dream place to be!

Cons

A racist bias community- Management brings their own kind- Sorry, no Jews or Muslims!

Continue your good work - most-likely you all be out of business!

Worked for CSAA Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!