CSAA Insurance Group

Updated March 3, 2015
2.8

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Pros
  • Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families (in 40 reviews)

• Good benefits if you can handle the environment (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other (in 31 reviews)

• In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Good rapidly growing company

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

Lots of growth so plenty of opportunities for movement. On top of that the training that they provide is very thorough and the way they're set up allows for easy learning. You get to get your hands dirty and learn a little on the job in addition to in the classroom.

Cons

Starting salaries are sort of low, the locations of the facilities are not ideal. Locations in Vegas, OKC, Colorado Springs and New Jersey leave a lot to be desired.

Good company to work for a few years before you retire

Current Employee - Architect in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Architect in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn a lot of technologies, if you are into learning.
    Opportunity to participate in variety of social causes.
    Feels like a one large (dysfunctional) family. If your manager likes you, you will be protected.
    Opportunity to mentor and be mentored.

Cons

Lack of career growth neither upward nor sideward.
    Whether you outperform or barely perform, rewards are the same.
    Prevalent nepotism.
    Top heavy management structure.
    A lot of processes are there just for name sake.
    An never ending rediscovery process, which does not result in any concrete actions.

Kind

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

good people and great business

Cons

slow moving and risk averse

get ambitous

Great Company!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

Great hours, employees and the best training system ever.

Cons

Pay, Training, Benefits and culture

N/A

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Business Ana
    Current Employee - Business Ana

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- competitive benefits and bonuses
    - monthly town hall meeting with the opportunity to meet upper management
    - paid PTO and volunteer

Cons

-lack of innovation
    - little or no training
    - lack if communication between teams

Hire more young people and provide training

Fantastic until a racist, incompetent, insecure person became my supervisor

Former Employee - Casualty Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Casualty Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

People
    Benefits
    Time off
    Community involvement
    Manager support in career objectives

Cons

Clueless management
    Training less than adequate for those new to industry; embarassing for experienced adjusters
    Managers falsely trust supervisors & do not investigate claims made against good employees; good employees fired bc supervisor feels threatened and/or track record implies racist towards Asians, gays.

You know who she is. Why is she still there? How many more eeoc complaints or bad faith lawsuits need to be filed before you realize this person is bad news? Hire me back. I was a respected, hard working, competent, loyal employee who you allowed to be railroaded by this woman...even after I came to you asking for help with the situation. Even AFTER she gave me a poor review & said your review of me the year prior was flat out wrong, to keep me from transferring to OKC, to set me up for termination. You sat there & said in your 30 years I was one of 5 employees you genuinely hated to fire, while she sat there with a smug smile on her face. I earned your respect & you had mine as well as my loyalty. I miss my job & life I had bc of CSAA. I planned on retiring. I didn't deserve this.

GOOD COMPANY WITH LACK OF MOBILITY

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

Decent salary with good benefits... decent annual bonus... great people to work with... coworkers can become like family

Company has great volunteer/community service programs as well as donation matching program

Company has started to take initiative in bringing employees together for social gatherings. Creates a better work environment

cash incentives for good results

Cons

High expectations and demands with a heavy work load with no time to actually deliver high customer service standards... poor business model using adjusters as call center reps who ultimately cannot adjust claims because management is only concerned with the call center aspects and results.

Trying to get promoted is like being a crab in a barrel... highly competitive with so many reps and not many open positions... it may be easier to get promoted as an outside employee than as an internal one... favoritism and lack of communication between management. Under the right supervisor you can make it far but if not you will be stuck in your position

Call center environment... there are waves of micromanagement tendencies...

Don't Do It....

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

You will bond with your coworkers...

Cons

....Over all the wrong things

Change everything

Good culture and people, but lack of stability troubling

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked here for over 3 years, and in general, the people are very nice to work with. Everyone is knowledgeable, and is always willing to lend a hand to help out. This contributes to an overall great work environment where people are respectful. Over time, people who demonstrate consistent ability to work effectively and efficiently get deserved promotions, and if you are passionate about your craft you will be rewarded. There are also multiple internal career opportunities within the company, and the benefits & bonuses are above average.

Cons

The company recently expanded its regional presence to be countrywide. As a result, senior management is still learning to structure its operations; there was at least 1 MAJOR structural re-organization PER YEAR within my department and a few times on the C-level as well. Also, the turnover is extremely high for an insurance company. This, compounded with the many different layers of the business model, delays decision-making, and ultimately slows productivity. Timelines & goals are even set with the expectation that they will not be met. Lastly, the distribution of work across departments can be extremely uneven. They are still figuring out how to distribute work, and it's likely that some teams will work 60+ hours consistently for several months while other teams in the same department/division work less than 40.

Please keep the company culture and values, but place greater emphasis on employees. Most importantly, decide upon a corporate structure and stay with it for the near future so the company can maintain stability and continuity.

Surviving or Thriving in the Insurance Industry?

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Good hard working employees who, despite the lack of technological resources, still achieve their goals. The company has a great wellness program and gets involved in some great community events.

Cons

Senior management really push the AAA values but do not lead by example. Senior management has a bad habit of practicing fake collaboration where they claim you are involved in the process but ignore the input anyway. Continue to pay consultants rather than listening to the employees to solve problems. They underpay certain high skilled employees and then try use year-end bonuses to make up the shortfall to the detriment of others in the department. How do you achieve all your goals and yet still get less than 100% of your bonus percentage? The annual engagement survey is a joke, with senior management sending daily emails to complete them and employees then not answering truthfully to avoid all the work that follows when the negative results come out. How does the BOD and C-Suite justify the ridiculously high bonuses that get paid to senior executives when the company cannot run under a 100% combined ratio? The main problem lies in the expense ratio which is far higher than the company's peer group. Moving your expenses to a services company to bring down the combined ratio is not the solution as it merely distorts the results, rather focusing on reducing the expenses. I got tired of hearing about the CFO talking about his sports cars, gambling in Las Vegas and continuously quoting lines from popular movies. I can also advise you to never challenge certain executives in the game 'Bejeweled' as they are often seen on their company iPads playing against each other.

Live the values that you preach and try abiding by all the compliance that you enforce. C-suite and VPs continue to be above the rules by accepting gifts, accommodation and entertainment from business partners well in excess of the limits set. Senior executives should focus on working together and not against each other trying to gain favor with the CEO and CFO. Senior Management should stop making the CEO out to be the Big Bad Wolf and assume responsibility for their own departments.

CSAA Insurance Group Photos