CSAA Insurance Group Reviews

451 reviews filtered by
2.7
CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Pros
  • Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families (in 40 reviews)

• Good benefits if you can handle the environment (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other (in 31 reviews)

• In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives (in 18 reviews)

1. Awesome

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

Nice people who are determined to work hard

Cons

I didnt earn that much money

More free time

2. Overall rewarding.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

Good values, compensation was on par with others in the area.

Cons

A management team that escapes accountability.

Walk the talk when it comes to ethics and conflicts of interest.

3. Time for the the CIO and most of the C-level IT execs to go

Current Employee - IT Manager in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CSAA realizes its technical weaknesses in some areas, particularly in web and mobile. Consequently, there's significant opportunities for improvement within IT. How soon these improvements can be planned and carried out is the tough sell, as the politics are brutal. There are extremely talented tech people at CSAA but they're often difficult to filter out from all of the dead wood.

Broken processes are abound; IT is significantly overstaffed and has reason to consider double-digit layoffs within the next 18 months. How anyone within IT can add any new personnel is ludicrous. Maybe its an ego trip for the execs to have larger teams? The teleworker method is better suited for larger, more-established tech firms such as Intel or google. Same can be said for H1-Bs/outsourcing - having a clueless manager in charge of 40 H1-Bs is burning another pile of cash. And again, utilizing one or several broken processes. Are the board members aware of this?

Cons

The general DMV mentality is tragic - it's common for a few IT employees to only perform their job function if someone else is right next to them. Asking for one to perform similarly in an email typically goes nowhere. This is unacceptable in most of corporate America but is often the norm at CSAA. Difficult to get fired within IT - there's zero accountability and HR is nearly useless. What's the point of having surveys, especially manager surveys, if nothing comes of it? (besides the bonus implications)

Blatant grift to earmarked vendors as well as overseas staffing agencies. Both of these overlooked problems are snowballing into long-term catastrophes. Glendale IT is either afraid to, or won't hire women. This is appalling for a company which loudly beats the diversity drum.

A clean start is needed between high and middle management - if they fired the top 3, the middle 3 would be promoted and just keep pushing the same, wrong ideas. Get rid of the H1-Bs, CSAA is a poor fit for that worker with its inept management. Hire more women in IT. Get rid of IT managers that nobody likes and can't do the work - there's more than a few. Start thinking about who should be laid off due to incompetence or irrelevance; in IT this is currently around 10-20% of the workforce. Changes are way too slow to happen and they only happen early on in the year typically when the budget has been approved. Stop burning money on Hail Mary tech projects and find a CFO that's conscious of spending. Eliminate excessive waste on travel, travel expenses and get-together events. What was the point of buying the high-end video conferencing equipment when idiots are burning six figures on travel? Why do a few insist on spending so much, and with so little oversight? Vendor conflict of interest concerns should also be a top priority, as it is a problem.

Good company to work for a few years before you retire

Current Employee - Architect in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Architect in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn a lot of technologies, if you are into learning.
    Opportunity to participate in variety of social causes.
    Feels like a one large (dysfunctional) family. If your manager likes you, you will be protected.
    Opportunity to mentor and be mentored.

Cons

Lack of career growth neither upward nor sideward.
    Whether you outperform or barely perform, rewards are the same.
    Prevalent nepotism.
    Top heavy management structure.
    A lot of processes are there just for name sake.
    An never ending rediscovery process, which does not result in any concrete actions.

6. Good rapidly growing company

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

Lots of growth so plenty of opportunities for movement. On top of that the training that they provide is very thorough and the way they're set up allows for easy learning. You get to get your hands dirty and learn a little on the job in addition to in the classroom.

Cons

Starting salaries are sort of low, the locations of the facilities are not ideal. Locations in Vegas, OKC, Colorado Springs and New Jersey leave a lot to be desired.

Fantastic until a racist, incompetent, insecure person became my supervisor

Former Employee - Casualty Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Casualty Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

People
    Benefits
    Time off
    Community involvement
    Manager support in career objectives

Cons

Clueless management
    Training less than adequate for those new to industry; embarassing for experienced adjusters
    Managers falsely trust supervisors & do not investigate claims made against good employees; good employees fired bc supervisor feels threatened and/or track record implies racist towards Asians, gays.

You know who she is. Why is she still there? How many more eeoc complaints or bad faith lawsuits need to be filed before you realize this person is bad news? Hire me back. I was a respected, hard working, competent, loyal employee who you allowed to be railroaded by this woman...even after I came to you asking for help with the situation. Even AFTER she gave me a poor review & said your review of me the year prior was flat out wrong, to keep me from transferring to OKC, to set me up for termination. You sat there & said in your 30 years I was one of 5 employees you genuinely hated to fire, while she sat there with a smug smile on her face. I earned your respect & you had mine as well as my loyalty. I miss my job & life I had bc of CSAA. I planned on retiring. I didn't deserve this.

Kind

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

good people and great business

Cons

slow moving and risk averse

get ambitous

What a Joke

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is to leave this company as soon as possible. There is no future for anyone here.

Cons

The politics are overwhelming and if you push back the powers that be will isolate you and keep you out of the loop so that you can fail.

Continue to clean house in Product from the top to the middle to the bottom. Only way to move forward to hire and retain competent knowledgeable professionals.

Make sure you get on managements favorites list ASAP!

Former Employee - Homeowner Claims Specialist
    Former Employee - Homeowner Claims Specialist

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers and employee camaraderie. Even if management does not acknowledge your efforts most of the time your peers will.

Working for a national recognizable brand.

Promotes from within... If your lucky.

Cons

There is absolutely no career development. On several occasions I attempted to improve my knowledge to enhance my career, productivity, and efficiencies. Those attempts fell on deaf ears for years.

The benefits, specifically, healthcare options are atrocious, deplorable, and are a much as a small mortgage payment. The "affordable" plan has an exorbitant deductible and still breaks the bank.

The is an obvious and blatant favoritism attitude. Tread carefully going against the grain or standing up for something you believe in. You will be branded a traitor and be confined to a glass box for the duration of your employment. There will be no advancement, lateral or other moves ever.

A significant portion of manager appears to be unqualified for the position especially in homeowners claims. Management seldom has any experience at all with property claims. There is absolutely no consistency you can literally fish for your answer and someone will tell you what you want to hear.

Instead of enforcing the policy that was purchased management will often times cave and give in to avoid the confrontation. Not all management but a significant portion.

Management also delegates escalated calls back to the adjuster to handle. Not all management but again a significant portion.

Management flocks together and will literally gang up on employees they have deemed unworthy. They put so much pressure on employees to encourage voluntary termination. I suspect they want to avoid unemployment claims.

The employee engagement survey is a joke! First off they state that the survey is anonymous however, each employee is sent a unique link to access the survey. Information extrapolated from the survey seems irrelevant or in some cases appears to be altered.

Salary is substandard compared to national averages.

I would suggest achieving some sort of consistency at least with in individual claim centers, but ideally it would be with in your best interest to obtain that consistency company wide. The benefit packages should seriously be re-evaluated you are significantly lack in comparison to the competition. I would suggest that mid-level management take the time to know the policies and know the people in which the manage. It would be in your best interest to start listening to employees instead of blatantly ignoring adjusters.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Business Ana
    Current Employee - Business Ana

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- competitive benefits and bonuses
    - monthly town hall meeting with the opportunity to meet upper management
    - paid PTO and volunteer

Cons

-lack of innovation
    - little or no training
    - lack if communication between teams

Hire more young people and provide training

CSAA Insurance Group Photos