CSAA Insurance Group

Updated December 2, 2014
2.7

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Pros
  • Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families (in 40 reviews)

• Good benefits if you can handle the environment (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other (in 31 reviews)

• In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Room for improvement

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Life work balance, great career development programs

Cons

Slow pace for changes, people are not always being held accountable for their actions, poor change management and project management

It will be helpful to bring the right people in the right place. Sometimes incompetency creates frustration, lowers standards and employee morale.

A caring and competent Company

Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People that work here are kind, generous with their time, and love their work. Most are joyous and playful throughout the day. Its like a family from the first day you start. opportunities for promotion, great benefits, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Lots of information to take in when first starting there, very stressful job; but worth it.

Keeping encouraging your people...

CSAA is on the way out of the industry

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits if you can handle the environment. But as with any corporation today benefits are going by the wayside.

Cons

Management at this company needs improvement- if they have to find another job they will be in for a BIG surprise.THe company waited too long to upgrade the systems (when I worked there I worked on over 10 different systems one being DOS ) and are behind the 8 ball now. They purchased an off the shelf software that will not meet the company needs even with customization.
    It is too bad the insurance side of the house is not run like the roadside assistance company.

The company does endorse diversity but practices age discrimination. As a San Francisco based company they are gay centric, which is okay but not to the exclusion of others. They used to treat the employees better but recently have done less and less ( like giving only one person a bonus versus dividing the large amount amongst more employees) and this really affects the morale on the floor. IT IS A CALL CENTER - and they want to shortcut in claims. In the 15+ years of working in claims I never had a DOI complaint but the new younger (translate FAST) employees have them all the time. Claims requires experience and if you don't retain experience it will rapidly become apparent to the members.

Clean house on the upper management. Bring in fresh new candidates and let them improve the status quo. Claims are hard enough with out all the stress the management at CSAA cause daily. Management gets its bonus based on what the lower echelon does performance wise - who wants to perform when they are put under a thumb everyday? Practice the core values not just give them lip service.

Great place to build a lasting career

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group

Pros

People, advancement opportunities, culture, benefits and pay

Cons

The pace of business decisions, execution and delivery can move slow at times

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to all the good things out of the many big initiatives underway.

Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Claims Representative III in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Claims Representative III in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are the only good thing this company has to offer.

Cons

I've been in the work place for over 30 yrs and I have never had such a terrible job experience. Managers have no idea how to manage. Anyone over the age of 50 better be on their toes or you will find yourself out of a job- They're so wrapped up in diversity that they can't see how badly their management team is. When I first started with the company, it was a wonderful place to work and then new management took over and the morale went downhill. Thank goodness I was able to retire out of there.

take some classes in how to manage people and how to hire good supervisors. They are so worried about young ages and college degrees they fail to look at he older and more experience workers. They keep saying that this is not a call center, they actually think the employees believe this. It is so a call center experience -where all that matters is numbers, not how customers are taken care of. I'd be shocked to see this office still here in 5 years

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Product Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you're Caucasian or gay- this is a dream place to be!

Cons

A racist bias community- Management brings their own kind- Sorry, no Jews or Muslims!

Continue your good work - most-likely you all be out of business!

Nightmare

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are good but dwindling fast. Pay can be good but other insurance companies pay much better.

Cons

the management at this company is the Peter principle at its best. They want EVERYTHING and still meet DOI guidelines.Employees are promoted after getting pregnant with their manager and nepotism is rampant. While diversity is embraced if you are gay you are put on an inside track to get ahead. They Definitely practice age discrimination. The work environment where you are in constant fear of being fired, written up or chastised in public is the everyday norm.This company is prime pickings for a takeover.

You want young unskilled underpaid employees and will end up with a company on the downturn. There are no shortcuts in claims.

Mixed Reviews

Former Employee - Homeowner Claims in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Homeowner Claims in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked in the Oklahoma City OK & Las Vegas NV claims office--The Las Vegas NV office was a great place to work..If you worked hard, you were recognized for your efforts, promoted, and treated well. The people were fantastic. This employer pays well for industry standards and appreciates diversity of employees.

Cons

The health insurance package could be better..The Oklahoma City OK office is a train wreck with poor working conditions and horrid management.

Clean up the Oklahoma City OK center location..Leadership and positive management is needed. Look at what Las Vegas is doing right, get rid of the Oklahoma City management staff and start over..

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am really surprised by the disguntled reviews. This is an organization that cares greatly about its members/insureds and its employees in a way that is manifest over and over again. I do not observe office political and, to the contrary, admire the company for encouraging fierce discussions and creativity. The company has a clear strategy for success and has made great strides in furtherance of that strategy, particularly in building its IT infrastructure, over the past several years. I have worked at several companies and none have held a candle to CSAA IG in terms of having a quality moral compass, aiming to do right by their customers and displaying appropriate business savvy.

Cons

We excitedly await final delivery of transformational tools, which we'd have loved to have yesterday. Sometimes I wonder if too much time and energy is devoted toward being a good civic citizen and quality employer.

Keep up the good work and favorable trajectory.

IT Employee Review: OK but can be better

Current Employee - Information Technology in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally speaking, once you are hired within the company and do somewhat ok job you are likely to be kept there for a long time. If you are looking for a "steady" place to work, this is it. CSAA IG offers competitive benefits such as 401K contributions. They also promote "Living Healthy". You can earn points to reduce the monthly premium for your health insurance. There are also many opportunities to volunteers.

Cons

If you are like me and you want to do something bigger, better and be surrounded by creative intellectual individuals as well as be in an environment that inspire you, you may want to rethink about joining the company. The IT department is located in Glendale, AZ within a call center environment. Most people there don't care about dressing up and appear to be professional (which is a pro if you are into that). Personally, I find everything about being in the Glendale facility is depressing. I used to work in a call center and getting pay way lower than CSAA IG in Tempe (Different Company) and it's so much more professionally inspiring than CSAA IG.

As I mentioned before, generally speaking things are "steady" here. So moving up to entirely different IT group can be a challenge. Politics get in the way of doing the right things but I suppose you will encounter that anywhere you work. I wonder sometimes about the culture here: How someone can barely do their jobs and made so many mistakes get away with it and actually get promoted. Anywhere else I worked before, they would have been fired.

You can't expect world-class quality employees when you are surrounded by mediocre uninspiring environment. Get the place upgraded, more open area (windows to see the outside world), better seats/cubes arrangement etc.

CSAA Insurance Group Photos