CSAA Insurance Group Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated August 20, 2014

2.8

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey
Paula Downey

Pros
  • Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families (in 40 reviews)

• Good team work with most groups I work with, pretty good benefits, supportive environment (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management not only dislikes their employees, they dislike each other (in 31 reviews)

• In the minds of upper management CSAA should be first and foremost in the employees lives (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

176 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Room for improvement

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Life work balance, great career development programs

Cons

Slow pace for changes, people are not always being held accountable for their actions, poor change management and project management

It will be helpful to bring the right people in the right place. Sometimes incompetency creates frustration, lowers standards and employee morale.

A great place to work!

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am really surprised by the disguntled reviews. This is an organization that cares greatly about its members/insureds and its employees in a way that is manifest over and over again. I do not observe office political and, to the contrary, admire the company for encouraging fierce discussions and creativity. The company has a clear strategy for success and has made great strides in furtherance of that strategy, particularly in building its IT infrastructure, over the past several years. I have worked at several companies and none have held a candle to CSAA IG in terms of having a quality moral compass, aiming to do right by their customers and displaying appropriate business savvy.

Cons

We excitedly await final delivery of transformational tools, which we'd have loved to have yesterday. Sometimes I wonder if too much time and energy is devoted toward being a good civic citizen and quality employer.

Keep up the good work and favorable trajectory.

Looking for a Good Company to work for

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Most of the people in the company really want the company to continue with its successes. In the IT area, people (in general) have high praises for the CIO, whom is open and down to earth. His Direct Reports all seem to share the CIO's views on being transparent. All are competent.

Cons

Like many long-established companies, CSAA is slow to make necessary changes to make room for efficiencies. In one non-IT area, it has taken over a year of reform promises and yet, that has not yet happen.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company, nice perks, crusty old technology

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and pay, with pension plan, and great 401k matching. Good work/life balance. 24 hours per year paid for volunteering.

Cons

Lots of embedded vendor technology, and technology contractors make it difficult to implement a change. Complex relationships with AAA clubs and AAA National make it even more difficult.

Instead of using so many technology contractors and vendors, try hiring more full time employees.

Ignorance At Every Turn

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This place does not have any pros!

Cons

Intense politics and lack of accountability across the entire company. Leadership picks and chooses their pets as if this were a junior high school campus. Passive aggressive behavior that is maddening. Don't even think about challenging status quo or you will find yourself ostracized. Oh and if you are not Asian you can really forget about any kind of future here.

Fire the senior leadership team including the CEO. Start anew before it's too late. Your brand won't survive much longer if you don't.

Great people but clueless leaders

Former Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

CSAA has a legacy brand that other companies would kill for. They also have billions of assets to cushion their mistakes.

Cons

Unfortunately, the leadership keeps playing "spin the bottle" with their strategies and nobody has the spine to make tough decisions. They blew half a billion dollars on a new system that still isn't working and the only thing saving them is they don't fall under any public disclosure requirements.

Resign. You're covering the high cost of your mistakes by grinding your people and driving them away.

Great work life balance, no career growth.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of flexibility, reasonable workload expectation, work from home one day a week (optional).

Cons

Complete lack of internal career track planning or development. They expect high caliber people to come in and improve their accounting infrastructure yet they offer no path of growth. The business is very flat so there is a lack of organic oppurtunities, projects and room for career growth.

Create career paths in the organization. If you don't create meaningful ways for people to grow internally they will leave taking they talent and CSAA knowledge with them so that they can continue to grow elsewhere.

Awful culture + poor management + bleak future = DON'T WORK HERE!!

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good pay
    - Onsite cafeteria
    - OK benefits
    - Nice building and parking garage(it's pretty bad when the GARAGE is one of the only pros)
    - I have to believe some departments have decent leadership (every so often I actually see people smiling)

Cons

- Antiquated systems -- they are in the DARK AGES; nothing worth learning here - kiss of death for resume
    - Business makes countless errors (some BIG errors) that negatively impact customers...rests on the AAA brand to mask the poor service; I'm stunned anyone would want CSAA as their insurer given the endless mistakes
    - Business isn't stand-alone, it totally relies on AAA Clubs - this broken system won't sustain the company; competitors have a HUGE advantage over CSAA
    - Awful culture in key departments; it's like high school, with lots of cliques and people who have worked together for years, and new people are not welcome; backstabbing is a COMMON occurrence and you have to watch your back all the time
    - No support from management -- they don't want to innovate, they only reward old-school thinking; aren't skilled as PEOPLE managers and can't be trusted; too many sacred cows who plan to die there
    - Employee morale is HORRIBLE and turnover is increasing now that the economy is better; everyone I know is looking and can't wait to get out and write negative GlassDoor reviews; I couldn't wait until I found another role to write this and warn people -- candidates deserve to know how bad it is here!! Contractors and full-time candidates should BEWARE and AVOID THIS COMPANY!!

Pay attention to the morale and how many people are quitting. There are obvious reasons why you WEREN'T voted one of the Best Places to Work last year. You're so proud of your 100 years, but you have no chance of being around much longer if you don't wake up and make critical changes. Your competitors are are MILES ahead of you. With current management and environment, I don't see how you will survive.

Decent for building experience and then moving on.

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are nice, for the most part, and mean well. The work is steady, and the company is relatively stable. Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families.

Cons

There are too many "lifers." For example, my boss has been there 15 years, and hasn't been promoted in at least 5 years. People are complacent with doing their set job and not really advancing.

For someone like me, that's not a place I want to stay more than 3 years, max, because there is no growth potential in terms of role and responsibility (and also compensation). It would be great if I were 55-60 and riding this job out into retirement, though (which it seems is many people's plan).

Lots of managers get by with just being managers... not leaders. Also, they frequently slack off their work onto subordinates with no recognition or praise. There are lots of people at the company who get by solely on past reputation (because they've been there forever), but couldn't do the job of their current subordinates if those folks left (which they undoubtedly will due to lack of advancement opportunities).

Stop using consultants to ISP (layoff) people after Deloitte/Accenture tell you to. Also, if we don't have the money for more employees, how do we consistently have money for these bi-monthly "treats?" Personally, you can keep the massages and wellness activities and just increase my take home pay.

Consistent and stable

I have been working at CSAA Insurance Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Pay and benefits are good
    - People stick around a while, creating a bit of a family atmosphere
    - People genuinely care for our customers and want to make a positive impact

Cons

- Not great at setting realistic project deadlines - seem to set unrealistic targets and move the dates out later
    - Not great at holding accountability, though always trying to improve
    - The "family" culture leads to the need to know people to get work done. Busy people are more likely to help you when they know you. This was challenging when I was new.

Set realistic project deadlines, not just what you think the board wants to see. The re-work for shifting dates wastes a lot of time and money.

Worked for CSAA Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!