CSAA Insurance Group
www.aaa4insurance.com Walnut Creek, CA 5000+ Employees

CSAA Insurance Group Reviews in Walnut Creek, CA

Updated Jul 4, 2014
CSAA Insurance Group – Walnut Creek – “Station Landing”

CSAA Insurance Group President and Chief Executive Officer Paula Downey

Paula Downey

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Looking for a Good Company to work for

Walnut Creek, CA

ProsMost of the people in the company really want the company to continue with its successes. In the IT area, people (in general) have high praises for the CIO, whom is open and down to earth. His Direct Reports all seem to share the CIO's views on being transparent. All are competent.

ConsLike many long-established companies, CSAA is slow to make necessary changes to make room for efficiencies. In one non-IT area, it has taken over a year of reform promises and yet, that has not yet happen.

Solid company, nice perks, crusty old technology

Walnut Creek, CA

ProsGood benefits and pay, with pension plan, and great 401k matching. Good work/life balance. 24 hours per year paid for volunteering.

ConsLots of embedded vendor technology, and technology contractors make it difficult to implement a change. Complex relationships with AAA clubs and AAA National make it even more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of using so many technology contractors and vendors, try hiring more full time employees.

Great work life balance, no career growth.

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsLots of flexibility, reasonable workload expectation, work from home one day a week (optional).

ConsComplete lack of internal career track planning or development. They expect high caliber people to come in and improve their accounting infrastructure yet they offer no path of growth. The business is very flat so there is a lack of organic oppurtunities, projects and room for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career paths in the organization. If you don't create meaningful ways for people to grow internally they will leave taking they talent and CSAA knowledge with them so that they can continue to grow elsewhere.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Pathetic Company

Product Management (Current Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsSadly, the only good thing anyone can say about this company is the pay (above market) and the location of the headquarters.

ConsThe people running this company are idiots. They don't know the insurance business at all. I have never in my life seen such arrogance in my entire career. The company is full of unbelievable politics that are maddening and prevent work from getting done. There is also a lot of favoritism going on and if you aren't a part of the clique you can forget it. My advice is to run as fast as you can from this company. I am getting out as soon as I can.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to purge the management team PERIOD. The CIO just retired and that's a start. They now need to look at other C level and VPs and show them the door as well.

Awful culture + poor management + bleak future = DON'T WORK HERE!!

Walnut Creek, CA

Pros- Good pay
    - Onsite cafeteria
    - OK benefits
    - Nice building and parking garage(it's pretty bad when the GARAGE is one of the only pros)
    - I have to believe some departments have decent leadership (every so often I actually see people smiling)

Cons- Antiquated systems -- they are in the DARK AGES; nothing worth learning here - kiss of death for resume
    - Business makes countless errors (some BIG errors) that negatively impact customers...rests on the AAA brand to mask the poor service; I'm stunned anyone would want CSAA as their insurer given the endless mistakes
    - Business isn't stand-alone, it totally relies on AAA Clubs - this broken system won't sustain the company; competitors have a HUGE advantage over CSAA
    - Awful culture in key departments; it's like high school, with lots of cliques and people who have worked together for years, and new people are not welcome; backstabbing is a COMMON occurrence and you have to watch your back all the time
    - No support from management -- they don't want to innovate, they only reward old-school thinking; aren't skilled as PEOPLE managers and can't be trusted; too many sacred cows who plan to die there
    - Employee morale is HORRIBLE and turnover is increasing now that the economy is better; everyone I know is looking and can't wait to get out and write negative GlassDoor reviews; I couldn't wait until I found another role to write this and warn people -- candidates deserve to know how bad it is here!! Contractors and full-time candidates should BEWARE and AVOID THIS COMPANY!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the morale and how many people are quitting. There are obvious reasons why you WEREN'T voted one of the Best Places to Work last year. You're so proud of your 100 years, but you have no chance of being around much longer if you don't wake up and make critical changes. Your competitors are are MILES ahead of you. With current management and environment, I don't see how you will survive.

Decent for building experience and then moving on.

Walnut Creek, CA

ProsThe people are nice, for the most part, and mean well. The work is steady, and the company is relatively stable. Also, it's good for work/life balance for those with families.

ConsThere are too many "lifers." For example, my boss has been there 15 years, and hasn't been promoted in at least 5 years. People are complacent with doing their set job and not really advancing.

For someone like me, that's not a place I want to stay more than 3 years, max, because there is no growth potential in terms of role and responsibility (and also compensation). It would be great if I were 55-60 and riding this job out into retirement, though (which it seems is many people's plan).

Lots of managers get by with just being managers... not leaders. Also, they frequently slack off their work onto subordinates with no recognition or praise. There are lots of people at the company who get by solely on past reputation (because they've been there forever), but couldn't do the job of their current subordinates if those folks left (which they undoubtedly will due to lack of advancement opportunities).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using consultants to ISP (layoff) people after Deloitte/Accenture tell you to. Also, if we don't have the money for more employees, how do we consistently have money for these bi-monthly "treats?" Personally, you can keep the massages and wellness activities and just increase my take home pay.

Consistent and stable

Walnut Creek, CA

Pros- Pay and benefits are good
    - People stick around a while, creating a bit of a family atmosphere
    - People genuinely care for our customers and want to make a positive impact

Cons- Not great at setting realistic project deadlines - seem to set unrealistic targets and move the dates out later
    - Not great at holding accountability, though always trying to improve
    - The "family" culture leads to the need to know people to get work done. Busy people are more likely to help you when they know you. This was challenging when I was new.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet realistic project deadlines, not just what you think the board wants to see. The re-work for shifting dates wastes a lot of time and money.

A company with a vision

Walnut Creek, CA

ProsThe thing I like most about working for CSAA IG is that the management, starting at the C-Suite is very much focused on their strategic plans for the future. This is then communicated to the employees through their strategic playbook and their vision for the future. The management is very approachable and very nice. As a matter of fact most of the people that I have come across are really nice. Another thing I noticed is that they are very willing to move people around from one job function to another, giving people an opportunity to grow their skill-sets. This is awesome to see. They are also very much into getting their leaders in front of the employees on a regular basis. Their Chats with Leaders is excellent! As a company they really are a model for excellence. There is an on-site cafe that serves excellent food and they have an amazing salad bar. They are focused on promoting healthy eating and exercise. They have free fruit one day a week and there is a farmers market at the bart station across the street from the location. Their location couldn't be better.

ConsAs a contractor we are not allow to participate in a lot of the functions that are available to regular FTEs. Contractors are limited to 2 years and then they are no longer extended. Pockets of upper management have issues with their leadership style. Nothing too out of the ordinary for any company really.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all of the managers on board with what is being taught through their extensive leadership program. There are pockets of upper management that are more destructive than others. They somehow need to figure out who these managers are and either address their behavior and if that doesn't work get rid of them. This is not something unique to CSAA, as all companies deal with these types of challenges. CSAA has the potential to be an exceptional employer as long as they keep those with destructive behaviors from bringing their employee morale down.

Analyst

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsGood work life balance, great office

ConsToo many reorgs, makes making traction on the career ladder difficult.

I'm fairly satisfied with my current position and the team I work with.

Legal Assistant (Current Employee)
    Walnut Creek, CA

ProsGood team work with most groups I work with, pretty good benefits, supportive environment.

ConsCommute from San Francisco is long if you live there but Bart is available. Some benefit changes such as defined pension that went away which I didn't care for. Some changes in management goals that made the past few years a bit stressful as far as the company direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more of a leader in terms of what you offer employees and being the best company to work for.

Worked for CSAA Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CSAA Insurance Group reviews and ratings in Walnut Creek, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CSAA Insurance Group CEO Paula Downey. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by CSAA Insurance Group employees.