CSC

2.9 1,681 reviews

CSC President & CEO Mike Lawrie

Mike Lawrie

1,681 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The company tries to give you work life balance in the consulting life style"
    in 104 reviews
  • "One of the best reasons that are good about CSC is that we were allowed or work from home"
    in 57 reviews
Cons:
  • "Zero work life balance, upper management who don't care or respect their employees, consistent 50"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Politics by senior management is not fvaour to all employees or employee benifits"
    in 47 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

CSC is a nice place to work with open door policy

Senior Business Archictect (Current Employee)
Bloomington, IL

I have been working at CSC full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation and benefits are very nice.

ConsRight from the day I was hired there was little introduction or contact with the on-sight managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have on-sight hands-on technical or business rep. who can collaborate and introduce you to the assigned company's culture. It's easy to get lost without guidance.

strong in process, weak in real strategic thinking

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at CSC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCSC has many large clients and is generally respected. If you like implementation work, this is a good place to be.
Generally they have good methodologies and process orientation.

ConsAs a consulting firm they don't have a stand out name such as Bain, McKinsey or Accenture.
Pay is average or lower than average consulting firms.
Work can be somewhat of a grind.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee to what extent you can leverage learnings from firms such as Accenture - they tend to be more strategically focused while still also doing outsourcing work.

Cautiously optimistic

I have been working at CSC full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLarge company, more likely to be placed on another contract if the one you are on ends
Work projects are exciting, good customers
Standard benefits, including parking

ConsReally old outdated computers, conference facilities and office equipment for employees. Slows down production and customers question how or why an IT company provides such outdated computers to it's employees.
Too many layers of management to go through to get even the simplest of problems resolved.
Company has being going through multiple reorganizations and "delayering" processes for the past year and a half and nobody seems to know what they are doing or who they work for.
People live in fear if they will be in the next batch of people let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet this mess of a reorg fixed once and for all. Provide useful training to the many assigned managers with new responsibilities. Ensure the resources are there for them. Stop laying off the top folks that gave CSC a strong reputation and hanging on to the low hanging fruit to offer a lower cost for a bid. What will you have left to offer to your customers?

Overall good place to work.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at CSC full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation, collaboration, agile project management, expertise of colleagues, fun team, flexibility of hours

Consbenefits, no ability to work remotely, inscrutible performance management process that seems to be divorced from meaning and compensation - very strange; management is very cheap about wierd stuff that leaves a shabby impression on staff; upward mobility very limited - the company sells its expertise to the client and expect that what you are now is what you will continue to be going forward - upward mobility is rare; professional development/training is non-existent for the same reasons

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the money to buy hand soap for the kitchen and hangers for the coat closet. Survey employees about what bugs them and do something about it. Direct supervisor or manager should be the one doing you performance review, not somone who be unable to pick you out o a line-up.

Difficult to acclimate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CSC full-time

ProsDecent pay structure. Very smart staff to work with on projects. There are lots of interesting R&D efforts under way. Colleagues are very willing to support and assist each others. Benefits are reasonable.

ConsThe management overhead is excessive. There are a lot of people managing and not as many "doing". The corporate culture is inconsistent. Easy to have technical skill become stale if you stay on a project too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as individuals not as billable hours.

They preach about being company people - like everyone's goal is to be CEO one day.

Senior Professional--System Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at CSC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBeats digging in a ditch - but not by much. Each yearly meeting we have been hearing the same thing - got to work harder - not meeting expectations - this is after the local management told you things were great - the shareholders hold all the cards here.

ConsThe treatment of employees is more like asset management then people management - once your "cycle" has run they have no use for you.

CSC is good company to work with provided having/assigning good management

I have been working at CSC full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgood to work with in long term with if you not worrying about no hike, appraisals.. and employee care

Consgood to work with in long term with if you not worrying about no hike, appraisals.. and employee care

Advice to Senior Managementemployee care and should assign right managers (right person to right place)

Good IT Operations Company

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at CSC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMade up of good people who work hard and want the best for their company and their customers.

ConsCost consciousness, heartless, management-by-spreadsheet (or management consultants).

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees like you say you do, communicate effectively, make decisions with put other people and the company before your own comp, and the workers will take care of you with the results

Good experience but chaotic environment - Raleigh NC location

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at CSC full-time

ProsGood experience. Software testers worked on data validation from a database on a mainframe, SAS reports, GUI testing, defect work and while going through lots of requirements in a fast paced environment.
Test Leads managed teams of 8-12 testers. They do the hiring and firing of team members and are responsible for customer facing interactions.

ConsBecause it's fast paced not everyone can keep up so contractors got fired often. Often the Test leads weren't good leaders so when they failed their team members failed. Well the team members were fired since they couldn't keep up

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the office culture to foster higher commitment and efficiency from the employees and contract employees. Improve pay to key positions to improve leadership

Ok kind of Organization

I have been working at CSC full-time

ProsNothing Special. Typical benefits provided by any standard consulting company.

ConsContinuous re-org and shuffling of top\middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate more on getting new accounts\clients then focusing on doing the re-org every year.

Worked for CSC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CSC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CSC CEO Mike Lawrie. All 1,681 reviews posted anonymously by CSC employees.