CSC UK

Updated Mar 21, 2014

CSC UK President Liz Benison

Liz Benison

Good people fighting bureaucracy

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Aldershot, England (UK)

I have been working at CSC UK full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are some great people in general, teams form and bond quickly, and there's a good atmosphere. There's also an interesting variety of work, if you can find a way in. Good work/home balance, with many people working from home periodically.

ConsThere's too much bureaucracy. Travel authorisation mandates suddenly change with no notice, invalidating previous arrangements, sometimes contradicting other mandates. Expenses are stingy. The company has no active role in your career progression or training. Rolling redundancies for years has reduced job security.

Constant reorganisations...when will it end?

I have been working at CSC UK full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood salary, some good people

ConsPoor management and ineffective leadership. No discernible career progression or bonus, so if you join make sure you get what you want up front. Not an easy place to join as has a very fragmented structure with lots of disaffected staff. Ask what the churn is for the department - very few manage to stay more than 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that words should be backed up by actions.

Cost cutting more important than retaining skills

Applications Developer (Current Employee)
Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at CSC UK full-time for more than 8 years

ProsReasonable work life balance, good be fits

ConsCompany seems only focused on cost cutting to keep share holders happy. No interest in knowledge or technical skills retention and push for off shoring . Continuing redundancy and zero pay rise or bonus for 4 years across many accounts. Forced to stay in cheap hostels and hotels when travelling.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to decide stop looking after their own job and think more about employee skills progression.

Twice disappointed, as an employee once and as a interviewee later

Consultant (Former Employee)
Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at CSC UK as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe people I worked with or met from CSC were friendly and technically competent

ConsInterviewers are time wasters spending "months" looking for excellent candidates but they don't have the cash. Gave inappropriate tech tests (e.g. proven track record supported by references for 18 years - but "don't need to know the chemical composition of paint to paint the walls"). One was offered a position then CSC tried to negotiate the advertised rate down. Lack vision and unprofessional.

Advice to Senior Management'Ordinary' but techniques are illogical.

CSC Healthcare Division

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at CSC UK full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt has a good work life balance but little more

ConsNo career progression as it should be, old boys club

Worst senior management ever

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Aldershot, England (UK)

I have been working at CSC UK full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe only good thing about working at csc is the other people working there (excluding senior management who are all only interested in themselves).

ConsPenny pinching, constantly pushing everyone to do more for less. Pay and progression non existent, lip service paid to annual performance review and training. Constantly losing accounts and making staff redundant but increase senior posts all the time. Most of the people here did not choose to work for csc we were outsourced into csc, we are all deemed above market rate salary wise so pay rises non existent but can never find out what the market rate they use is. Those that came to csc direct are paid a dismal rate but still fail to get decent rises.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of the sand and start to value your assets, as you constantly refer to your staff, instead of pretending to. Sad face for bad news, smily face for good is patronising and non professional (Liz)...

The good, the bad and some ugly (but nothing that can't be improved with the right attitude.)

I have been working at CSC UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros1. Excellent, knowledgeable, hardworking colleagues, who are generally nice people to work with.
2. The most amazing benefits package I have ever seen. Employees get to choose what benefits they want, including pension contributions, medical care, vouchers and most importantly, it is possible to have up to 40 days of holiday in a year.
3. CSC's policy, where possible, is for traveling employees to work from home at least one day a week (subject to client requirements and system limitations.)

ConsThe company is fixated on short-term profits at the expense of long-term investments, and is downrlight penny-pinching and stingy when it comes to investing money in anything (e.g. new equipment/training etc), and also where employee expenses are concerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrently you are trying to roll out a 'global operating model'. This is a nice idea, but you need to take account of the fact that some things work differently in countries other than the USA. It's not always a case of 'one size fits all'.

There is a drive towards offshoring. This is NOT always cheaper than using onshore resources - it sometimes ends up costing more in the end.

You are CSC Computer Sciences, NOT CSC Computer Prehistory. One of the most dangerous mistakes you can make is to fail to invest in people's skills. (When new opportunities arise that require these skills, you lose out on account of not having the skillset in the workforce.) You need to implement a proper training programme. and also keep people's equipment (laptops etc.) up to date.

Please do not treat people who have to travel as if you are paying for a free holiday for them. They are massively inconvenienced by having to travel, and they work hard, so they deserve to stay in nice hotels, have a decent per diem allowance (£20 is too low, given the cost of meals these days) and not to have expenses rejected for stupid reasons. Also, ETARs should be abolished - it is surely enough to have a valid WBS code?

If you are going to force employees to use the corporate credit card, please pay the vendor on time and reinstate the possibility for employees to choose whether they want to earn reward points/airmiles etc. when they use the corporate card. (Otherwise there is not much incentive to travel. Reward points are one of the last things in the world that are not taxed.)

Disjointed and fragmented

Linux Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at CSC UK full-time

ProsMose of the people working for them seem to want to do a good job and the account I was on was largely free from centrally imposed reorganization.

ConsYour experience vastly depends on the account you are on, all internal CSC services are outsources and seem disorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with staff on a "what does this mean to me" basis. For example nobody knows what efficiency savings" are but people tend to understand "we plan to sell of buildings A, B and C because they cost too much to run".

OK at the start, but pretty miserable recently

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at CSC UK full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexibility used to work both ways

ConsNo flexibility offered to employees, expected to work out of hour with no notice. Lip service paid to appraisal process. No chance of promotion or salary increase. Extremely low morale. Frequent redundancies.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreating employees with respect and some human intrest gets more out of a workforce in the longrun

Not nice place to be right now

I have been working at CSC UK full-time

ProsFlexible, great work life balance.

ConsPoor salaries, penny pinching. Employees hardware e.g laptops well out of date.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your staff more.

Worked for CSC UK? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CSC UK reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CSC UK CEO Liz Benison. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by CSC UK employees.