CSC

Updated Apr 22, 2014

CSC President & CEO Mike Lawrie

Mike Lawrie

245 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Cheap company which only cares about the bottom line.

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at CSC full-time for more than a year

ProsThe co-workers were great bunch of guys who were as experienced as I was. We're all had at least 10 years of IT experience, so there was no spoon feeding necessary.
If you like very little management interaction (as I do), I list it as a pro here. Most of the time the managers don't even know that you've showed up to work. The ratio of mgmt to workers is well below industry norm.

ConsVery little communication from top down. Management is very heavy at the director and above. There were more Directors and VP's on our project than there were managers. And those at the top only knew how to pad the bottom line. Good workers were cut to save money. Newbies were brought in to replace them, but lacked the skills needed to perform the job properly, but CSC saved money in the process.
Consider yourself a cattle when you enter CSC.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees and listen to them during the monthly meeting. Don't just rely on the managers and directors, they are there to kiss your ass. They are a bunch of "yes" men.

enjoying but not fulfilled

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Vienna, VA

I have been working at CSC full-time for more than 3 years

Prospeople, management, time, and effort

Consgrowth, pay, path, and consistency

Advice to Senior Managementcount on employees more

Great company to work for. Have provided a lot of knowledge and growth opportunities for me as I am fresh out of college

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at CSC full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat support from managers, work-life balance, CLEAR expectations, forward looking

ConsGoing through a transition, unclear communication

Demands of CSC

Senior Server Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at CSC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood salary, Good Health insurance and a decent 401k

ConsLong hours, Lots of procedures to follow.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to give your employes some breaks or compensation when they are working on several different contracts

Very Good Company

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Oxon Hill, MD

I worked at CSC part-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe Learning experience and Training that i received qualified me to be a strong with my service skill in the work place.

ConsLittle More involved in contracts.

Overall satisfied with this company

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Chantilly, VA

I have been working at CSC full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work environment, offers corporate training, allows some work flexibility

ConsThe health benefits are getting worse and worse each year. Good thing that they are cutting overhead costs but not the employees, but I still think that insurance cost for the employees are way too high

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities within the company to allow career growth.

EOC contract in Chantilly VA and Forth Worth TX

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
Chantilly, VA

I have been working at CSC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe only good element that I can really think of at this moment is the CSC e-learning website

ConsI was a System Administrator with CSC with a high security clearance and got paid like a Tier-1 Helpdesk person. I was promised a raise and when I accepted the new position the raise never followed. The management has a very high turnover and so does the other staff. Everybody working on the FBI EOC contract is unhappy and wants to leave. CSC in general is not a beneficial company to work for. The benefits through Aetna are extremely bad and keeps getting worse every year. The HR personnel is indifferent and lazy. It is not uncommon to create a case and not hear back. In general I sensed that everybody i spoke to expressed that they were underpaid, if they compared to other government contracts.

Advice to Senior Managementrevise lower layers of management ASAP and seriously review the HR personnel

Company with no salary increase and career progression plan for employees

Account Service Director (Current Employee)
Falls Church, VA

ProsStrong client base, global foot print in 80+ countries, friendly peers

ConsManagement doesn't care about employees. The only thing they care is to find a way to cut cost. Benefits get worse every year (health insurance and 401 matching are all squeezed). Salaries are below industry standard and raises are practically nonexistent. No training or chances for career advancement. Good skilled employees who can find a job are quitting leaving outdated mediocre employees to stays. A-players don’t want to play with a bunch of C-players.

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop an employee retention strategy for high performing employees

Treats employees as commodities

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at CSC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge Company. Jobs available across globe. Niche areas with interesting work.

ConsPoor benefits. Treats employees like commodities that are easily replaced. Does little to improve employee satisfaction. Lower management has little power in helping. Upper management talks the talk, but does little to back up grand ideas with actual policies or money.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the little people. They're the ones actually earning the company money.

CSC is undergoing a deep cost takeout, with profitability taking precedent to growth, and investment.

Senior Executive, Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at CSC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAt some point they will have to begin investing in sales and growth.

ConsHigh probability they will continue to sell off non-core businesses and those that can bring a superior ROI to investors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe true to the values established in June of 201

Worked for CSC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CSC reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CSC CEO Mike Lawrie. All 245 reviews posted anonymously by CSC employees.