CSG (Conservation Services Group)

www.csgrp.com
  www.csgrp.com

CSG (Conservation Services Group) Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
3.2

Stephen L. Cowell

Great place to do well while doing good. Mission driven workplace.

I worked at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time

Pros

CSG was founded by a group of people interested in helping low income families with their heating bills. It has grown into a large, multi-hundred employee organization that is structured as a non-profit but runs like a company, getting effectively all its revenues from running utility and government energy efficiency programs. The culture is friendly and when I was leaving was beginning to strike a balance between the more mission focused folks who started the company and people coming from more traditional finance and real estate/construction industries.

My job was somewhat rare- most of the jobs are in the call centers and working on buildings or with contractors- either out assessing homes or training contractors that work on homes. There is a large marketing team that brands and markets the EE programs to utility customers and a business development team that bids on deals and would likely be some of the more interesting desk jobs for people who are not construction or customer service focused.

Cons

It's hard to see what the career growth opportunities were. Jobs could be very specific. Compensation was also much more non-profit level than what you'd get working at some of the for-profit entities that do effectively the same work. That said, there were a number of people who moved through the ranks and clearly the culture wanted to nurture people who wanted to move up. I think it was more of a structural challenge. The HR person (who is still there) was a mover and shaker so I imagine there are much better structures for advancement and professional development now.

go private!

CSG is a great place to work. People are amazing. Great work life balance.

I have been working at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CSG offers 80% health/dental and 100% disability/life. Employees earn approximately 4 weeks in the first year and the time is increased up to 6 weeks after 5 years. Most people I work with are really great. The culture has an open door policy and upper management for the most part is down to earth. I love with a group of people for a common mission.

Cons

There are some grievances between the corporate and regional offices. People sometimes forget that we are all working towards the same goal.

Continue to work on employee development, development paths for employees and possibly tuition reimbursement programs.

Customer service rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albany, NY

I worked at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay. Close knit atmosphere. Management is flexible. Many team related aspects of the job.

Cons

Raises are small while job scope increases. little room for job growth within call center. High turnover.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with amazing employees and opportunities for success!

I have been working at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part of CSG are the people. The employees are smart, kind, helpful and almost everyone is team player, willing to help each other out even when it's outside the scope of their day job. In addition, the time-off is abundant, and the flexibility to work remotely is truly a bonus. Also, working hard has really paid off in terms of my own personal growth and career development. Management really takes notice and works hard to recognize achievements.

Cons

Some of the challenges surround communication, but management recognizes this and are working extremely hard to improve this, which they have in the last six months.

Continue to develop managers, so that they can successfully manage and coach their staff, providing them with opportunities (outside of the daily grind) to learn and grow as well.

Great place to work for, plenty of perks, wonderful people, and good work/life balance.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Westborough, MA

I worked at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working on the marketing team at CSG. everyone had a can-do attitude and the team worked like a well oiled machine. I was there for a short period (I was approached by another company after 7 months), but enjoyed my stay, and the mission behind the company made me feel as thought I was doing something worth wild with my creative skills. They also have a great cafeteria and gym on premises, and if you drive an electric vehicle, the parking lot is equipped for your needs. There was always good work/life balance.

Cons

once you get past the learning curve, there's not much to complain about.

My manager was the best, not complaints for her.

Horrible management and limited opportunities

Current Employee - Field Instpctor
    Current Employee - Field Instpctor

Pros

Most of my coworkers were nice people and tried their best to do a good job. Office culture is often reverse sexist (attractive women get promoted but not guys)

Cons

Management is unskilled and lazy and don't know anything useful. There are communication gaps that will ensure you need to go to a lot of stupid webinars but you wont get any news on things you need to actually need to know to do your job better. Very little chance to advance if you are a field worker. It's like working in a 1950s office culture.

the company values have gone downhill as CSG becomes more and more desperate to make money after some bad contract losses.

A Tale of Two Companies

I worked at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you read the reviews, you'll see a trend- those who work at the Westborough HQ or for Central Services enjoy perks, good work life balance and fair, motivated management. The non-profit aspect of this company left the station long ago, but they like to keep up the appearance of being mission driven. In fairness many employees are dedicated to the mission, but it gets more diluted every year. There is lavish spending at Headquarter events on wine and food, and everyone takes a lot of time off. Everyone will be pretty chilled out. It's a pretty good deal, but one that is completely lopsided when it comes to the experience you will have at the Regional offices that support the Corporate office and Central Services work.

Cons

The company has decided they will be the leader in every aspect of the business from software to training to marketing to social media, and the feeling is they can do it all better than anyone, but the reality is very different. They don't like to buy services or outsource so they try to keep everything in house, but this is a small company with limited resources so they don't have and cant afford the talent to actually make products that work well.. The epic failure of their software releases are legend in the industry. It also creates a backbreaking number of regionally supported positions in non-billable roles, and that would be fine if you actually got value for them....

The main message at Regional offices is it's all about the money, money, money. The arrogance of this company because they've been around for 30 years overshadows any concern with actual performance, and there are major problems with software and contracted deliverables. If you work in a regional office doing work for actual clients in Programs, you are going to work your butt off to send money home to HQ to support a vast array of stop-start initiatives that go nowhere but require hiring even more people for regional staff to support. The "Central Services" products you receive will be late and broken. You will be the face of CSG when it all goes bad, and left to explain to clients and customers why it is they didn't get what they expected (and neither did you) from CSG, or to lie to them and tell them something great is coming just down the road....but you'll know it very well won't happen.

If you really value your personal integrity and work in a Regional office you will be miserable.

Wake up...you know all this. Be realistic about resources and what you can deliver and for goodness sake, get some basic tools for your regional staff to work with. Flip the lopsided "Hire at HQ, layoff at Regions" switch and settle down and finish something, and do it well.

Misguided

I have been working at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time

Pros

CSG's mission is solid, they want to do good. The workforce is solid for the most part and the people who know what they are doing REALLY know what they are doing.

Cons

There is a huge range of employee talent at all levels: field, coordinators, analysts, management, and senior management, which nobody seems to recognize or just shake off and accept as a part of the status quo, leaving the talented individuals overworked and under appreciated. There is a ridiculous disconnect between what management and office staff are paid, and what field and office staff are paid, which is silly, because everyone works too hard to have to deal with a 1950s secretary atmosphere.

They need to prune away the several managers they have hired over the past few years and leave the programs in the hands of those who are in the know... oh and while they are at it stop acting like central services are the only people who know anything. You do realize central services doesn't actually make any money, it's the programs. Also, pay employees what they are worth so they feel appreciated. It might stop the high turn around rate and make only 6 paid holidays a year feel better.

Completely dysfunctional

Current Employee - Energy Auditor  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Energy Auditor in Nashville, TN

Pros

Simply a paycheck, nothing more, and dont expect anything, ok time off.

Cons

There is NO Leadership in the Nashville office. It is literally run by a bunch of 20 something year olds that this is their first job. All of the experience is in the field, and mostly all the good ones have been run because they posed a threat. You simply cant take inexperienced kids and ask them to run a office. The proof is in the pudding here. My suggestion is to avoid the company at all cost. It simply cant survive.

Clean house in the Nashville office. Put some business minded people in their place

Lived in Constant Fear of Losing my Job and then I did

Current Employee - Financial Coordinator
    Current Employee - Financial Coordinator

I have been working at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary and benefits were fantastic, most of my co-workers were great individuals who I enjoyed working with each day. A great place to gain experience.

Cons

Communications between corporate and regional offices is awful. I had a supervisor who lived in the next state and believed that supervisors should not have to provide any type of leadership whatsoever. Due to higher ups mistakes and consistent lying to the companies providing the funds for our operations I and about 10 others in the office lost our jobs. The only individual to keep her job and even receive a promotion was one who management openly discussed as being attractive to them. If you enjoy this sort of work environment where nepotism runs deep, where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing than you will enjoy working for CSG. If you want to be valued for your hard work and years of dedication rather than your looks and bubbly personality than I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Improve communications between corporate and regional offices. Look deeper into who is causing the loss of contracts in certain regions and create an action plan.

Worked for CSG (Conservation Services Group)? Contribute to the Community!