CSG (Conservation Services Group)

www.csgrp.com

CSG (Conservation Services Group) Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stephen L. Cowell

Great company with amazing employees and opportunities for success!

ProsThe best part of CSG are the people. The employees are smart, kind, helpful and almost everyone is team player, willing to help each other out even when it's outside the scope of their day job. In addition, the time-off is abundant, and the flexibility to work remotely is truly a bonus. Also, working hard has really paid off in terms of my own personal growth and career development. Management really takes notice and works hard to recognize achievements.

ConsSome of the challenges surround communication, but management recognizes this and are working extremely hard to improve this, which they have in the last six months.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop managers, so that they can successfully manage and coach their staff, providing them with opportunities (outside of the daily grind) to learn and grow as well.

Great place to work for, plenty of perks, wonderful people, and good work/life balance.

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) Westborough, MA

ProsI really enjoyed working on the marketing team at CSG. everyone had a can-do attitude and the team worked like a well oiled machine. I was there for a short period (I was approached by another company after 7 months), but enjoyed my stay, and the mission behind the company made me feel as thought I was doing something worth wild with my creative skills. They also have a great cafeteria and gym on premises, and if you drive an electric vehicle, the parking lot is equipped for your needs. There was always good work/life balance.

Consonce you get past the learning curve, there's not much to complain about.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager was the best, not complaints for her.

A Tale of Two Companies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you read the reviews, you'll see a trend- those who work at the Westborough HQ or for Central Services enjoy perks, good work life balance and fair, motivated management. The non-profit aspect of this company left the station long ago, but they like to keep up the appearance of being mission driven. In fairness many employees are dedicated to the mission, but it gets more diluted every year. There is lavish spending at Headquarter events on wine and food, and everyone takes a lot of time off. Everyone will be pretty chilled out. It's a pretty good deal, but one that is completely lopsided when it comes to the experience you will have at the Regional offices that support the Corporate office and Central Services work.

ConsThe company has decided they will be the leader in every aspect of the business from software to training to marketing to social media, and the feeling is they can do it all better than anyone, but the reality is very different. They don't like to buy services or outsource so they try to keep everything in house, but this is a small company with limited resources so they don't have and cant afford the talent to actually make products that work well.. The epic failure of their software releases are legend in the industry. It also creates a backbreaking number of regionally supported positions in non-billable roles, and that would be fine if you actually got value for them....

The main message at Regional offices is it's all about the money, money, money. The arrogance of this company because they've been around for 30 years overshadows any concern with actual performance, and there are major problems with software and contracted deliverables. If you work in a regional office doing work for actual clients in Programs, you are going to work your butt off to send money home to HQ to support a vast array of stop-start initiatives that go nowhere but require hiring even more people for regional staff to support. The "Central Services" products you receive will be late and broken. You will be the face of CSG when it all goes bad, and left to explain to clients and customers why it is they didn't get what they expected (and neither did you) from CSG, or to lie to them and tell them something great is coming just down the road....but you'll know it very well won't happen.

If you really value your personal integrity and work in a Regional office you will be miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up...you know all this. Be realistic about resources and what you can deliver and for goodness sake, get some basic tools for your regional staff to work with. Flip the lopsided "Hire at HQ, layoff at Regions" switch and settle down and finish something, and do it well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Misguided

ProsCSG's mission is solid, they want to do good. The workforce is solid for the most part and the people who know what they are doing REALLY know what they are doing.

ConsThere is a huge range of employee talent at all levels: field, coordinators, analysts, management, and senior management, which nobody seems to recognize or just shake off and accept as a part of the status quo, leaving the talented individuals overworked and under appreciated. There is a ridiculous disconnect between what management and office staff are paid, and what field and office staff are paid, which is silly, because everyone works too hard to have to deal with a 1950s secretary atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to prune away the several managers they have hired over the past few years and leave the programs in the hands of those who are in the know... oh and while they are at it stop acting like central services are the only people who know anything. You do realize central services doesn't actually make any money, it's the programs. Also, pay employees what they are worth so they feel appreciated. It might stop the high turn around rate and make only 6 paid holidays a year feel better.

Completely dysfunctional

Energy Auditor (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsSimply a paycheck, nothing more, and dont expect anything, ok time off.

ConsThere is NO Leadership in the Nashville office. It is literally run by a bunch of 20 something year olds that this is their first job. All of the experience is in the field, and mostly all the good ones have been run because they posed a threat. You simply cant take inexperienced kids and ask them to run a office. The proof is in the pudding here. My suggestion is to avoid the company at all cost. It simply cant survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in the Nashville office. Put some business minded people in their place

Lived in Constant Fear of Losing my Job and then I did

Financial Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits were fantastic, most of my co-workers were great individuals who I enjoyed working with each day. A great place to gain experience.

ConsCommunications between corporate and regional offices is awful. I had a supervisor who lived in the next state and believed that supervisors should not have to provide any type of leadership whatsoever. Due to higher ups mistakes and consistent lying to the companies providing the funds for our operations I and about 10 others in the office lost our jobs. The only individual to keep her job and even receive a promotion was one who management openly discussed as being attractive to them. If you enjoy this sort of work environment where nepotism runs deep, where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing than you will enjoy working for CSG. If you want to be valued for your hard work and years of dedication rather than your looks and bubbly personality than I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communications between corporate and regional offices. Look deeper into who is causing the loss of contracts in certain regions and create an action plan.

Local staff is great

ProsSupportive managers, decent benefits and vacation time

ConsPays below market, not located near any coffee shops or places to eat

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees better, and it will be easier to attract and retain talent

Mission driven company with hard working, passionate workers who are the feet on the ground and make the wheels turn

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsCSG is working towards making career development a focus for all employees, generous vacation time, and flexibility in schedule depending on roles. CSG has great technical/industry leaders who are passionate about what they do.

ConsPoor communication from executive team (which is something CSG says it recognizes and will work to improve); it's sometimes easy to get stuck in a particular position as sometimes employees can be pigeon-holed due to program specific work. There are also severe issues with technical/IT support internally on a consistent basis, which often effects client relationships in a negative way, especially if the contract is smaller in dollar value and not in the northeast.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all contracts as they are important and put in the resources necessary for allowing regional employees (who are the face of CSG locally) to do their jobs. Set the team up for success, not ongoing struggles with client programs.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Most work experiences were positive

Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsConcerned with saving energy and with treating their employees with respect. Competitive salaries. A busy but fun work environment.

ConsFailed to win a big contract. Energy conservation is not a growth industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementI thought you managed and communicated well, keep it up.

Steer clear of the MidAtlantic Region

Office (Current Employee) Albany, NY

ProsEnergy conservation is here to stay although the programs supporting it come and go. The technical people are top notch.

ConsThe Senior Regional Mgt. is more interested in self-promotion and kingdom building than in growing the company or the staff. Some of their activities border on illegal and they are universally despised by the staff. Most of the good managers have been layed off or left and the remaining ones are clueless.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe corporate office has had numerous complaints and warnings about this region and sooner or later it is going to blow up in their face. They need to take the issues seriously

Worked for CSG (Conservation Services Group)? Contribute to the Community!