CSG (Conservation Services Group)

www.csgrp.com
  www.csgrp.com

CSG (Conservation Services Group) Reviews

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014

Stephen L. Cowell

Great place to Work!

I have been working at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for CSG for over 3 years now. I've seen a lot of great changes occur since I've joined. One of the reasons I joined was because of the culture at CSG. I noticed it was very team oriented and collaborative, which I think it still holds true today. Everyone is so friendly and willing to work together. I have also been promoted within the company in my time here, and have seen many more internal promotions happen in the past few years. The PTO they provide is also great!

Cons

Although they do provide great PTO, I would love to see a few more holidays. That's really the only con I can think of which isn't that bad!!

I've seen communication get much better in the last few years, and I just want to continue seeing that get even better.

A job, not a career

I have been working at CSG (Conservation Services Group)

Pros

Flexible work hours and dress code

Cons

No chance for advancement or change of position

Great place to do well while doing good. Mission driven workplace.

I worked at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time

Pros

CSG was founded by a group of people interested in helping low income families with their heating bills. It has grown into a large, multi-hundred employee organization that is structured as a non-profit but runs like a company, getting effectively all its revenues from running utility and government energy efficiency programs. The culture is friendly and when I was leaving was beginning to strike a balance between the more mission focused folks who started the company and people coming from more traditional finance and real estate/construction industries.

My job was somewhat rare- most of the jobs are in the call centers and working on buildings or with contractors- either out assessing homes or training contractors that work on homes. There is a large marketing team that brands and markets the EE programs to utility customers and a business development team that bids on deals and would likely be some of the more interesting desk jobs for people who are not construction or customer service focused.

Cons

It's hard to see what the career growth opportunities were. Jobs could be very specific. Compensation was also much more non-profit level than what you'd get working at some of the for-profit entities that do effectively the same work. That said, there were a number of people who moved through the ranks and clearly the culture wanted to nurture people who wanted to move up. I think it was more of a structural challenge. The HR person (who is still there) was a mover and shaker so I imagine there are much better structures for advancement and professional development now.

go private!

Pretty much a soap opera...

I worked at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very little actual oversight of field staff.

Cons

Two of the most senior managers are obviously having an affair with each other. They're both married to other people. it's gross, and it bothers everyone. If they aren't having an affair (which everyone is sure they are), they should act like adults and maybe stop acting so lovey-dovey all over the place. It's even obvious to field employees during the few times a year we're invited over.

Besides this, the culture is pretty divided against these same senior managers. Other managers and supervisors make jokes about wanting them to die all the time. It's not undeserved, but it does nothing to help the negative culture of this place.

Pay raises are pathetic. There are exactly zero opportunities for growth. if you want your career to go anywhere, apply elsewhere.

If CSG staff at corporate are reading this, you should really consider making an appearance in Nashville sometime. Often, corporate offices are a frequent presence to help keep culture intact and immature management from misbehaving - like was the case in Nashville.

Getting Progressively Worse

I have been working at CSG (Conservation Services Group)

Pros

Some wonderful people work here. Good medical insurance. Is a mission driven non - profit on paper, but operates just like a privately owned company.

Cons

Lots of gossip, blaming and poor implementation of programs this company implements for utilities. They have very poor organization and a lot of things they tell their clients and employees are just not so. Work life balance can be very lopsided depending on the office you work in.

I fell the company is on a downward spiral, and everyone is in denial at headquarters.

Seems great on the surface, but make sure to dig before working there

Current Employee - Manager in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Westborough, MA

I have been working at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some dedicated, smart, passionate people who have been with the company for many years, and they are what keeps it going. Nice facilities and location. HR works hard to do the right thing although some of the newer management pushes the envelope on the proper way to treat employees.

Cons

The new upper managers have fostered a culture over the last couple years to blame lower management and others and it's embedding itself into the company. Since they are controlled by the clients, they will shift blame for poor implementations and issues anywhere they can instead of taking the responsibility themselves. Good people have been leaving, voluntarily and otherwise, and the business is feeling the impact and will continue to do so.

Look hard at why people have been let go, why people have been leaving, and analyze the results. The culture is ruining the company and the competitors will be ready to take advantage.

Customer service rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albany, NY

I worked at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Close knit atmosphere. Management is flexible. Many team related aspects of the job.

Cons

Raises are small while job scope increases. little room for job growth within call center. High turnover.

CSG is a great place to work. People are amazing. Great work life balance.

I have been working at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CSG offers 80% health/dental and 100% disability/life. Employees earn approximately 4 weeks in the first year and the time is increased up to 6 weeks after 5 years. Most people I work with are really great. The culture has an open door policy and upper management for the most part is down to earth. I love with a group of people for a common mission.

Cons

There are some grievances between the corporate and regional offices. People sometimes forget that we are all working towards the same goal.

Continue to work on employee development, development paths for employees and possibly tuition reimbursement programs.

Complete and Utter Chaos

I worked at CSG (Conservation Services Group) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health Benefits and Paid Time Off

Cons

Insane amount of reporting...spend 15 minutes doing the work then 30 minutes documenting it in 3 different places. Paranoid and often sullen culture - don't ask any questions and keep your thoughts to yourself. Communication is often threatening and hostile...feels like a game of Jumanji you never know what’s coming to get you next. Hard work is often overlooked or downplayed or the credit is stolen from HQ. Awesome safety meetings about drinking water when its hot outside, useless conference calls, and all day meetings about absolutely nothing -employees are often given just enough information to be completely dangerous but that can also be used as a weapon against you and a protective moat around managers (if we fail its our fault, if we succeed management takes the credit). In 5 years there has been more and more responsibility with smaller bonus checks and insulting pay raises.

Clean house in the Nashville office - they are destroying CSG's competitive advantage in the region by running off incredibly talented employees all while giving themselves increasingly bigger titles with more pay to do absolutely nothing. Also, the quasi-sexual jokes and inappropriate language during meetings is extremely insulting and scummy.

Horrible management and limited opportunities

Current Employee - Field Instpctor
    Current Employee - Field Instpctor

Pros

Most of my coworkers were nice people and tried their best to do a good job. Office culture is often reverse sexist (attractive women get promoted but not guys)

Cons

Management is unskilled and lazy and don't know anything useful. There are communication gaps that will ensure you need to go to a lot of stupid webinars but you wont get any news on things you need to actually need to know to do your job better. Very little chance to advance if you are a field worker. It's like working in a 1950s office culture.

the company values have gone downhill as CSG becomes more and more desperate to make money after some bad contract losses.