CSG (Conservation Services Group)
www.csgrp.com Westborough, MA 500 to 999 Employees

CSG (Conservation Services Group) Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stephen L. Cowell

Mission driven company with hard working, passionate workers who are the feet on the ground and make the wheels turn

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsCSG is working towards making career development a focus for all employees, generous vacation time, and flexibility in schedule depending on roles. CSG has great technical/industry leaders who are passionate about what they do.

ConsPoor communication from executive team (which is something CSG says it recognizes and will work to improve); it's sometimes easy to get stuck in a particular position as sometimes employees can be pigeon-holed due to program specific work. There are also severe issues with technical/IT support internally on a consistent basis, which often effects client relationships in a negative way, especially if the contract is smaller in dollar value and not in the northeast.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all contracts as they are important and put in the resources necessary for allowing regional employees (who are the face of CSG locally) to do their jobs. Set the team up for success, not ongoing struggles with client programs.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Misguided

ProsCSG's mission is solid, they want to do good. The workforce is solid for the most part and the people who know what they are doing REALLY know what they are doing.

ConsThere is a huge range of employee talent at all levels: field, coordinators, analysts, management, and senior management, which nobody seems to recognize or just shake off and accept as a part of the status quo, leaving the talented individuals overworked and under appreciated. There is a ridiculous disconnect between what management and office staff are paid, and what field and office staff are paid, which is silly, because everyone works too hard to have to deal with a 1950s secretary atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to prune away the several managers they have hired over the past few years and leave the programs in the hands of those who are in the know... oh and while they are at it stop acting like central services are the only people who know anything. You do realize central services doesn't actually make any money, it's the programs. Also, pay employees what they are worth so they feel appreciated. It might stop the high turn around rate and make only 6 paid holidays a year feel better.

Total waste of time

Energy Auditor (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsA paycheck, nothing more

ConsNashville office simply doesnt have the right people leading the contract. You cant take a group of failed business owners and place them in charge. Their businesses failed for a reason. This is contract work. Of course there is no real career path, but the management in office thinks field staff are dumb enough to believe that and continue to feed not true info. Any person in a management position should be able to do their employees position. This simply isnt the case in the Nashville office. Its actually quit dumbfounding. My advice to anyone looking into a energy job is to stay away from this contract. Thanks

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen the personnel that are being asked to lead

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lived in Constant Fear of Losing my Job and then I did

Financial Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits were fantastic, most of my co-workers were great individuals who I enjoyed working with each day. A great place to gain experience.

ConsCommunications between corporate and regional offices is awful. I had a supervisor who lived in the next state and believed that supervisors should not have to provide any type of leadership whatsoever. Due to higher ups mistakes and consistent lying to the companies providing the funds for our operations I and about 10 others in the office lost our jobs. The only individual to keep her job and even receive a promotion was one who management openly discussed as being attractive to them. If you enjoy this sort of work environment where nepotism runs deep, where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing than you will enjoy working for CSG. If you want to be valued for your hard work and years of dedication rather than your looks and bubbly personality than I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communications between corporate and regional offices. Look deeper into who is causing the loss of contracts in certain regions and create an action plan.

Local staff is great

ProsSupportive managers, decent benefits and vacation time

ConsPays below market, not located near any coffee shops or places to eat

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees better, and it will be easier to attract and retain talent

Most work experiences were positive

Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsConcerned with saving energy and with treating their employees with respect. Competitive salaries. A busy but fun work environment.

ConsFailed to win a big contract. Energy conservation is not a growth industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementI thought you managed and communicated well, keep it up.

Steer clear of the MidAtlantic Region

Office (Current Employee)
    Albany, NY

ProsEnergy conservation is here to stay although the programs supporting it come and go. The technical people are top notch.

ConsThe Senior Regional Mgt. is more interested in self-promotion and kingdom building than in growing the company or the staff. Some of their activities border on illegal and they are universally despised by the staff. Most of the good managers have been layed off or left and the remaining ones are clueless.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe corporate office has had numerous complaints and warnings about this region and sooner or later it is going to blow up in their face. They need to take the issues seriously

Good benefits, competitive pay, poor management.

Technician (Current Employee)
    Madison, WI

ProsBenefits package and competitive pay. Company has respectable values and outlook.

ConsManagement is poor. Horrible communication within the company. Not particularly concerned with what they are selling, simply a money making machine.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication.

Software development Contract

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Westborough, MA

ProsThe software development is cutting edge. Company is looking for the best, and most up-to-date software platform.
    Works in small teams to facilitate the communication and interaction between team members.

ConsManagement changed the development strategy several times while I contracted there. without a clear direction for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementSoftware development departments grew too fast without any clear management direction. It felt like they were throwing people at a problem instead of identifying the issue and applying the best people to work on it.

Great company to work for!

ProsGreat working environment and coworkers.

ConsCommunication down the ladder could be better, but I think that is something Sr. Management has recognized and is trying to fix.

Worked for CSG (Conservation Services Group)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CSG (Conservation Services Group) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CSG (Conservation Services Group) CEO Stephen L. Cowell . All 33 reviews posted anonymously by CSG (Conservation Services Group) employees.