CSG International Reviews

Reset
2.0
CSG International President, CEO, and Director Peter E. Kalan
Peter E. Kalan

Pros
  • Work life balance - dont have to work crazy hours (in 6 reviews)

• No good things except good at one thing that is flexible to work from home (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much opportunities for career growth (in 3 reviews)

• Revenue is coming few customers also consolidation (in 4 reviews)

Proceed with Caution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Great learning opportunities and a great place to network.

Cons

Management is disrespectful and judgemental. Lots of cliques and general lack of respect for the lower level "worker-bees". HR is not on the employee's side, but on the side of the employer, regardless if the employee is being discriminated against. Further, layoffs are a constant thing... at least once every two years.

Advice to Management

Communicate more and embrace different styles and ideas. Stop aquiring companies when all it means is that you are going to lay people off again and again. Although the bottom line is important, stop punishing those that work hard for you... find a way to keep them in the company instead of letting them go when RIFs are needed.

Good benefits, outdated work and career stalemate

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

Pros

CSG has an attractive benefits package and a casual work environment. I was doing Microsoft .NET development in a consultant role. Essentially, there is a core group of developers that creates a suite of CRM applications that are then shopped around to ISPs to manager their user accounts and provide a billing platform. Often it's necessary to integrate into the clients legacy billing systems. The core application is rather complex and it allowed me to gain an understanding of writing software at an enterprise level that academia could only allude to. I met a few great people that crossed out of the work friend boundary and into the "person I actually give a damn about outside work" category. It was nice to have MSDN licenses and work with relatively current technology. There is ample paid time off. Many company events at nice restaurants and bars.

Cons

No chance for career advancement. Promotions were impossible to come by. In my three year stint only one of the developers in my department was promoted to "senior software engineer". Otherwise there are a bunch of chiefs sitting in their offices holding their ground. The core application team seemed to be antagonistic toward the custom team, the ones who actually customized the core app so that it could fit the needs of the client and make the company money. It all felt very cliquey. I'm the type of person who weaves in between many social groups because I can see people for who they are outside of the group they exist within. Management was ill suited. I've had a range of managers from code guru with little social skills to self proclaimed "hands off" manager who really didn't seem to be that interested in the people that reported to him. Many of the projects I was placed on involved working with very old legacy code, which I felt set me back in regard to keeping my skill set current. There was also a lot of bench time and bench projects to occupy us that ultimately were canned. Morale in my department became extremely low and many developers found new jobs elsewhere. I would prefer to work on one project of large scope and complexity than several one-off rinky dink projects. I never understood the social rifts between the core developers, custom developers and developers in other departments.

Advice to Management

Promote people.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, NJ

Pros

Stable very stable than needed

Cons

New jersey location in general is highly unorganized with no work life balance. Every one is requried to do so many roles from manager to programmer to analyst to tester,that it is impossible to do every thing in time without working all the time. For extra work there is hardly any career growth in the organization.

Advice to Management

They should look at how other locations are working more closely than assuming

Not my cup of tea.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Decent local job in the IT field. Benefits.

Cons

Leadership is out of touch with CSG employees working directly with the client. No real opportunities for advancement. Morale continues to nose dive due to yearly layoffs and disconnected leadership. Stay clear unless job security and advancement are not important to you.

Advice to Management

Watch 'Undercover Boss' to see what you've been neglecting. Start caring about those who work directly with your clients.

Not the right place for anyone who is a professional with integrity

Former Employee - Software Tester in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Software Tester in Omaha, NE

Pros

Free popcorn. Given early out on the eve of holidays. Not a horrendous amount of overtime. Interesting and challenging work. Some very nice smart coworkers.

Cons

People there are frightened of making a mistake, frightened of offending "the ear", and afraid to trust each other. Example: small group of developers discussed a laborious paper process that could be replaced by file compare, sounded like they have wanted this for a long time. I'm not a developer but I thought I'd bounce the idea off a developer from another team. Other developer quickly looked around to be sure we were alone, dropped voice to a whisper and said "You HAVE to be careful what you say! There are people who have been here a long time and don't want things to change." The good news is I see they are advertising for an internal auditor so maybe the cloak and dagger era of process improvement will end soon.

Advice to Management

Empower the technical staff to make changes, they know what isn't working and how to fix it. Support the technical staff instead of treating them like they cannot be trusted. Figure out which people are refusing to allow change and figure out what is causing the fear in the technical staff. Maybe an anonymous hotline for whistle-blowers would help. Train the managers on how to be managers.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Pay - Co-workers - Benefits - location - work environment - challenging work

Cons

Middle to Upper Management can be terrible in many of the departments - favoritism (many based on who you know and how much money you have- definately not based on the knowledge and experience you bring to the table - promotions being offered to those that have no experience or knowledge at all)- unfair and unethical at times - layoffs

Advice to Management

Have a consulting team come and in meet with your middle managers, upper management, and your associates. Listen to what the consultants offer as feedback and take steps to resolve the issues that you will be made aware of.

A mediocre experience which has gotten worse significantly in 2012.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Great benefit package, generous vacation allowances

Cons

An oligarchy of service bureau oriented business model types who don't get the way business is run in the technology industry today.

Advice to Management

Either learn how to manage multiple recent acquisitions or divest yourselves of them

9. Communication needs work

I worked at CSG International full-time

Pros

Tons of smart people who are talented at what they do

Cons

Lots of "Mean girls" clicks. Some folks are not very approachable and FAKE!

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees about their status and work initiatives

Good times and bad

Former Employee - Lead Software Designer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Software Designer in Englewood, CO

I worked at CSG International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people. Lots of great technology. Still have a mainframe.

Cons

If you don't keep moving up, they will move on without you.

CSG

I worked at CSG International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people are wonderful but it depends on what department you work in. Easy commute. OK Pay.

Cons

Old boys club feel. They allow lazy people to stay on. No ambition to move in to the future. Pretty outdated technically considering they are a software company. Lots of management act inappropriately. Tons of favoritism by management.

Advice to Management

Clear out and start over.

RSS Feed </> Embed