CSG Systems International

Updated August 27, 2014
3.3

CSG Systems International President, CEO, and Director Peter E. Kalan
Peter E. Kalan

Very stressful place to work

Current Employee - MIS Manager/Director  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - MIS Manager/Director in Omaha, NE

I have been working at CSG Systems International

Pros

decent pay. casual dresscode. nice facilities

Cons

Frequent layoffs. Starting to feel like another ‘FDR’. Its not what you know. Its WHO you know.

Break up the good old boy network. Get out and talk to the employees. The overall mood is very negative. Most employees do not feel valued or feel like they have job security.

Challenging,

Current Employee - Manager  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at CSG Systems International

Pros

Opportunity for professional growth
    Expanding company with strategic direction to succeed
    Employee knowledge is great due to longevity

Cons

Due to growth, running out of physical office space

good place to start out of school

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at CSG Systems International

Pros

Work life balance - dont have to work crazy hours
    Decent Pay - comparable to other companies in Omaha
    Growth opportunities

Cons

Culture has changed recently with acquisitions.
    Very top heavy organization
    Layoffs happen frequently and have been more common in the recent years

Culture has changed recently with acquisitions.
    Very top heavy organization
    Layoffs happen frequently and have been more common in the recent years

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive environment to work.

Current Employee - Test Engineer II  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Test Engineer II in Omaha, NE

I have been working at CSG Systems International

Pros

They are flexible, you can move up if you work hard, and a casual company.

Cons

Could be orginized with training and teamwork.

Make sure you are looking forward at goals.

In the wrong place at the wrong time & the right place at the right time.

Former Employee - Manager Consulting Services  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Manager Consulting Services in Omaha, NE

I worked at CSG Systems International

Pros

This is a great place to work. Work hard and you will get ahead.

Cons

Tough times means cuts. Years of service great till you get cut.

Keep doing what has worked. Don't become FDR with the constant churn and burn of talent.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, NJ

I worked at CSG Systems International

Pros

Stable very stable than needed

Cons

New jersey location in general is highly unorganized with no work life balance. Every one is requried to do so many roles from manager to programmer to analyst to tester,that it is impossible to do every thing in time without working all the time. For extra work there is hardly any career growth in the organization.

They should look at how other locations are working more closely than assuming

Neutral

Former Employee - Technical Manager  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at CSG Systems International

Pros

Financially they are a sound company with a great business model. peer support is terrific. Pay is above average for the industry and location. Very family friendly.

Cons

In some areas of the company the way projects are handled is very casual. There is no structure to understanding the pros and cons of deciding on a project, the execution of the project and the follow up.
    Often there is a paralysis of execution for routine tasks because of the overwhelming amount documentation required.

Senior mgmt does not do a good job of understanding and appreciating the work effort of the empoyees.

Senior management needs to do a better job of recognizing, understanding and appreciating the effort put forth by their employees.

Can't imagine leaving CSG

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at CSG Systems International

Pros

As the saying goes, CSG has been very, very good to me ;-) I move to CSG several years ago from the banking industry and have rarely regretted that decision. CSG has offered me steady, secure employment, which is in short supply today. Although there have been some rocky roads regarding an occasional project or reporting manager, the work atmosphere I'm working in is healthy and supportive. Plus they pay well and they pay every two weeks!

Cons

I've worked on the occasional project where the team was not functioning well and the team members’ attitudes were negative. Eventually those projects were closed and the teams disbanded. In my opinion, most of those projects should have died months before they did.

Management is doing a fine job now and I would ask that they do two things:
    - Keep valuing your employees because they are your most important resource.
    - Keep the lines of communication open with the rank and file.

Good benefits, outdated work and career stalemate

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CSG Systems International

Pros

CSG has an attractive benefits package and a casual work environment. I was doing Microsoft .NET development in a consultant role. Essentially, there is a core group of developers that creates a suite of CRM applications that are then shopped around to ISPs to manager their user accounts and provide a billing platform. Often it's necessary to integrate into the clients legacy billing systems. The core application is rather complex and it allowed me to gain an understanding of writing software at an enterprise level that academia could only allude to. I met a few great people that crossed out of the work friend boundary and into the "person I actually give a damn about outside work" category.

It was nice to have MSDN licenses and work with relatively current technology. There is ample paid time off. Many company events at nice restaurants and bars.

Cons

No chance for career advancement. Promotions were impossible to come by. In my three year stint only one of the developers in my department was promoted to "senior software engineer". Otherwise there are a bunch of chiefs sitting in their offices holding their ground. The core application team seemed to be antagonistic toward the custom team, the ones who actually customized the core app so that it could fit the needs of the client and make the company money. It all felt very cliquey. I'm the type of person who weaves in between many social groups because I can see people for who they are outside of the group they exist within. Management was ill suited. I've had a range of managers from code guru with little social skills to self proclaimed "hands off" manager who really didn't seem to be that interested in the people that reported to him.

Many of the projects I was placed on involved working with very old legacy code, which I felt set me back in regard to keeping my skill set current. There was also a lot of bench time and bench projects to occupy us that ultimately were canned. Morale in my department became extremely low and many developers found new jobs elsewhere. I would prefer to work on one project of large scope and complexity than several one-off rinky dink projects. I never understood the social rifts between the core developers, custom developers and developers in other departments.

Promote people.

Not a bad place to work - stable (but perhaps too stable?)

Former Employee - Director of Professional Services  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Director of Professional Services in Omaha, NE

I worked at CSG Systems International

Pros

Solid company - they have been around for a long time and are profitable. Large enough that there are at least some advancement opportunities, but small enough to be somewhat agile. Very focused on taking care of customers. Great people, especially in customer-facing roles.

Cons

Stability, which is good, but also makes it somewhat boring. Promotions are hard to come by, at least in the manager-director levels (perhaps because it's a conservative-minded midwestern company and folks like their jobs just enough to stay). Biggest customers continue to demand more and more from CSG, and the company tends to try to do more work with the same number of people, which can lead to burnout.

Do a better job of career-pathing your top performers - establish more formal employee development programs. Take some risk by growing the business outside of cable in a bigger way than the few small mergers they have done.

Worked for CSG Systems International? Contribute to the Community!