CSI (Computer Systems Institute)

csinow.edu

CSI (Computer Systems Institute) Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good company for entry-level position

International Student Advisor (Current Employee) Skokie, IL

Prossomewhat flexible schedule; diverse body of employees; benefits; room for creativity

Consold school high-management mentality - not always susceptible for changes/suggestions;
    short vacation time; not a green company; at times compromised values

Advice to Senior Managementreward employees for good work

The culture of slumlords!

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Skokie, IL

ProsLocation
    Decent facilities
    Ton of job openings, perhaps because they cannot keep good people

ConsThe culture of slumlords: abusing employees and taking advantage of low income students. Incompetent, rude, and unappreciative management. Unethical practices all around covered by business casual dress-code. They pay is low and the attitude is even lower.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring for people who make your company work. I have left for a better opportunity and I am encouraging others to do the same.

There Are Better Places to Teach

Adjunct ESL Instructor (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsComputer/printer in every classroom which made last minute adjustments easy. Free parking and close to the T. Academic Manager was very good, but seemed overworked. Regular pay plus prep time. Lots of opportunities to teach.

ConsOther employees were rude and miserable. Revolving door for teachers (hence why the opportunities to teach).

Students for the most part are nice, but if you teach Business ESL they will straight up tell you that they are there only for one thing, and its not to learn business english. Out of 40 students (in a room made for 30), you might have 5-8 that participate and 2-3 that come on time. Everyone else is tapping away on their computers, having side conversions and just not wanting to sit there for five hours. Encouraged to make our tests easy so that students can pass with minimal effort.

During a conference call, teachers were threatened for no reason that they will catch us coming in late. This was never an issue so it shouldn't have been brought up.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think advice could save this place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful 2 week budgets. Pressure to pressure others. No job security.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Elgin, IL

ProsBenefits, regular paycheck, and overtime.

ConsWorking 6 days a week can be very stressful but when your told you really cant go home until you have made 200+ dials and constantly having your job thrown in your face and being told your easily replaceable starts to get to some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach.

Great Place To Start and Grow Your Career

ProsI have been employed for several years and I have found the company to be extremely supportive of my success. I have seen people grow within the company and there are many people working for CSI that have long tenures. While most companies are shutting down pensions plans, CSI has started one for its employees.

ConsNothing stands out as a con, however if you are not a results-oriented person, you may struggle within this organization. I think some of the negative comments in other reviews are examples.

A Great Disappointment

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Gurnee, IL

Prosmake a difference in student lives
    steady pay check
    benefits were really good
    lots of freedom

ConsYou are told that the leads that come in have inquired about going back to school, but about 95% of the leads from the internet are looking for a job.
    You will deal with people with criminal backgrounds from low income areas.
    very low 401K contribution.
    Very cut throat even though no one gets commission or bonuses when we enroll students

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truly valued your employees you would do whatever it takes to keep them and not let them go. Everyone is out for themselves. No one has ethics and/or morals and I think I will contact Illinois Board of Education. Did management get any sort of incentives for enrolling students?

Instructor

ProsEnjoyed being hands on with the students

ConsThey allowed me no prep time for classes

It was a good job...nothing more"

Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) Elgin, IL

ProsThe staff was great!! And the students were greatful.

ConsNo Benifits. Penny-pinching. No chance for internal growth.

Horribly confusing management, complete "chop shop"

Technology Instructor (Former Employee) Gurnee, IL

ProsA paycheck, location was good to commute to from where I live, but that was about it.

Cons*Some of the teachers weren't even qualified to teach (as in, no Bachelor's degree at times
    *Terribly inept and cruel management who used teachers in their evil scheme to milk unwary students of their money
    *Students credits were not transferable
    *A scam company, not only scamming students, but scamming the teachers
    *Teachers undervalued and even not given a protracted Winter Vacation and Thanksgiving Vacation (i.e. one day for each).
    *If the students don't achieve, it's the teachers who get all the blame
    *Unethical practices by management, who are taking prey and giving false hope to students of low socioeconomic backgrounds who can't get into any other school
    *People getting fired left and right; I worked there for more than a year in constant fear that I was going to be next, since I saw co-workers getting fired an average of one per month
    *I worked in the Gurnee location for more than a year as a technology instructor during the afternoon shift, and we had constant changes for the Dean position, as in, they would be hired, then fired after three months or so. It got even worse when Malorie Flemming became the Dean and autocrat of the Gurnee location. She wouldn't let teachers teach, instead, she bullied them into complying with the constantly changing requirements and didn't value teachers at all.
    *Unethical and alarming practices everywhere you looked.
    *No benefits.
    *Good teachers and staff members getting fired on a whim. Teachers getting treated like children. Things repeated over and over to them as if they didn't get it the first time.
    *School was run as a greedy for-profit business. American greed at its worst.
    *Worst place I have ever worked as a teacher, and I have taught at the college level.
    *Stay away from this scam school if you're a teacher or a potential student. Go to a non-profit community college, you'll be on a much better track and an ethical one.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute ethical practices and just let the teachers do their jobs without intruding. Get rid of Malorie Flemming because we were operating so well during the interims without a Dean on the Gurnee campus. There were many interims when the Dean seat was empty and everything operated smoothly.

culture of exploitation

Instructor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Proslocation in the downtown loop is convenient

ConsThis is the most exploitative company in Chicago. The owner brought a Soviet mentality of treating people like machines.

Worked for CSI (Computer Systems Institute)? Contribute to the Community!