CSL Plasma Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.8

Randy L. Furby

Pros
  • co-workers are good to talk to, flexible hours with school schedule, as so far as I know (in 3 reviews)

• Friendly Staff and donors, a lot of room for promotion (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, favorites of managers and supervisors (in 6 reviews)

• Sometimes short staffed, leaving long waits for donors and staff playing catch-up all day (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Alright job to get you through school, wouldn't make it a career.

Current Employee - Reception Technician in Hamilton, OH
    Current Employee - Reception Technician in Hamilton, OH

I have been working at CSL Plasma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Atmosphere is relaxed, employees and donors have a lot of personality, hours go by fast, 8 hours of PTO on every check, bonus when the center does well, reasonably lax if you're late to work

Cons

Low pay (especially since you're dealing with blood and the dredges of society), donors can be rude and even scary depending on where the center is located, you're forced to serve suspected drug users unless your center has a drug test policy, management plays favorites

Be a part of the change you want to see in the center. This isn't the kind of job where employees accept managers who aren't active on the floor occasionally. Morale tends to be low on donor floor because all of the pressure is on them all of the time and management doesn't always offer support.

phlibotomist

I have been working at CSL Plasma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

excellent people to work with, great benefits

Cons

the donors, never getting off work on time.

need to work more on scheduling, never get off on time.

Worked with the company for over 13 years, great personal experience.

Former Employee - Assistant Center Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Center Manager

I worked at CSL Plasma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company offers great opportunity for advancement. You can start out as a Phlebotomist, Receptionist or a Processing Technician and then qualify for a Management Trainee position in less than a couple of years. Of course this all depends on your drive and determination, professionalism, people skills and knowledge of operations. Once you've entered the amgr trainee program and thereafter there will be lots of opportunity to travel to assist other centers with training and attend Corporate meetings. (I would work for the company again)

Cons

There are no con that really sticks out, however every company has them, just keep up your performance, do the job that you were hired to do and you will be greatly rewarded.

Make sure that your that your Directors and AD's are fair, keep in mind that some people will do and say anything to cover their own backside and Corporate not truly knowing the whole truth of a situation resulting company losing excellent long term employees like my wife :-) Ratings reflect the time of my employment with company!!

Great if you're beginning a career but gets old really fast

Former Employee - Receptionist Tech in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Receptionist Tech in Springfield, MO

I worked at CSL Plasma part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take time to really train you and my co-workers were fantastic. If you work hard and make very little mistakes you can move up quick.

Cons

Its like working in a factory; you do the same thing over and over and over. I worked part-time there almost 2 years and was mentally dead after a few months. When you first start out you typically work 2nd shift and 20 hour weekends, and if you close there is no set time when you go home. You go when they say you can go: that could mean anywhere from 5pm to 8pm

2nd shift should get be paid more because its more difficult and more donors come during that time.

Overall Two Thumbs down. If you work there, don't stay for too long.

Former Employee - Medical Receptionist and Phlebotomist
    Former Employee - Medical Receptionist and Phlebotomist

I worked at CSL Plasma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers kept me sane and made my time there enjoyable. Management was nice. 401k company match, great dental insurance, decent PTO. My advice if you choose to work here is: do it to gain experience(in phlebotomy, processing lab etc) and then move onto a better paying job where you will be more appreciated and have more room to grow.

Cons

Stressful work environment. Low pay. Chronically short staffed.
    The center that I worked at was one of the bigger and busier centers(average of about 400 donors a day) and being that we were understaffed most of the time it made for a not so great work atmosphere.
    Impatient donors + short staffed= long wait times = unhappy donors = unhappy staff = unhappy management :(
    Also at the particular center I worked at the Quality Dept was very unfriendly, no people skills whatsoever.

If you want to keep quality workers you have to pay them better. The turnover rate is very high here. Quality over quantity. The cost of training employees who work there for a short time is ultimately way way more expensive in the long run than just initially paying employees more so that they will stay with the company.

A learning experience. I have worked at two locations and been with the company for a large number of years.

I have been working at CSL Plasma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For the time I have been with the company, my pay is not bad. However, the overall pay rate is below the national average for this job type. The current starting pay is low, and they have reduced the ability to get good raises for cross-training to other areas. The environment is stressful and fast paced, though I enjoy that in a job. I have learned more than I ever expected working here. The training is on going and they are more than willing to help to ensure you understand what you are learning. Most of the employees, other than management, are more than helpful and look out for each other. The co-workers are what have kept me at this company this long. There are many great benefits offered to the employees other than medical coverage. However, management (or possibly corporate) is not good at communicating these. I have found most of them on my own, and when asking management about them they do not know what I am talking about. The company does offer good growth opportunities IF you have a bachelors degree - does not matter if it is related to the industry or not. The company used to be a good place to "work your way up". That is no longer the case. If you don't have a degree, you will be hard pressed to move up, regardless of your experience or years with the company. I have seen many employees not get promoted because they gave the position to someone "more qualified". Then it turns out that "more qualified" person has no experience in business, customer service, or health care, but has some crazy degree in sign language or something completely unrelated. If you have experience in the company and a degree, you can go far very quickly. Especially with the amazing amount of growth the company is having with opening new centers all over.

Cons

Let me first say, I have been with the company for a number of years, and worked at two different locations. There are pro's to the job, hence my tenure. However, there are many, many con's. Lately the con's have started to outweigh the pro's. Lets start with hours - the hours are either super early or late night. Weekends and holidays. I do not mind weekends or holidays, but after so many years with the company, I would think they would help out with allowing better hour opportunities. This is regulated by center management, which is another negative in my experience. I have worked at two locations, and been with three different center managers. Management in both locations have focused on the little things that would resolve themselves, and ignore the larger issues that need attention. They do not appreciate their staff, other than if they meet the threshold to not get attention to higher ups, and to make their bonuses. In the years I have worked for the company I have never received a thank you or a good job from a center manager (this does not include assistant managers). I have had GREAT assistant managers who have been more than willing to do what is necessary to make it a better working environment and a better experience for the donors. But every instance was held back by the center manager. This company would rather hire someone off the streets with an unrelated degree than to promote someone who has been with the company long term and knows the inner workings. This seems to be across the board with all corporate companies. I agree that schooling and education is important. But throwing someone into a management position that has not worked with the company and expecting them to deal efficiently with producing better processing times, employee retention, and address donor complaints does not work well. Management tends to let donors get away with anything - including threatening employees. Anything to get their plasma.

Place some value on your employees!!!! Focus more on employee retention. Come out of your offices and make yourself knows to the employees. Keep current good employees satisfied (with in reason) so that you will have good staff to meet the demands of the business. Make sure you are hiring good quality people - not just hiring to fill the spot. Work with your leadership team to get ideas and help with problem areas. There are great resources with in the center, tap in to them!!!

Great Job for College Students

Current Employee - CSA-b in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - CSA-b in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CSL Plasma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing staff and co-workers

Cons

Some donors can sometimes be rude and nasty because they are not happy with why they were deferred. Sometimes you as an employee just has to take a step back and keep in mind the donor is not mad at you they are only mad at the procedure. If you do your job right and present great customer service you will do great.

experiences

Current Employee - Donor Support Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Donor Support Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at CSL Plasma part-time (less than an year)

Pros

co-workers are good to talk to, flexible hours with school schedule, as so far as I know.

Cons

low pay hour, less break time, stressful, and poorly management

Listen to your employees, raise the hourly pay with decent amount, promote if staffs perform good.

Phlebotomist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at CSL Plasma full-time

Pros

I honestly do not have any.

Cons

Overworked. Abused. Gossip. That company is just the absolute worse. Don't waste your time.

Listen to your employees.

worst job ever

I have been working at CSL Plasma

Pros

fast paced, fellow employees understand the drama you're going through

Cons

only care about the end product and not employees

CSL Plasma Photos