CSL

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brian A. McNamee

Great people, poor middle management, excellent company.

Analyst (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsExcellent colleges to work with. Excellent company perks compared to other companies I've worked for. Well developed processes, structured and mature company. The industry agreement in place makes the company benefits and payment structure very transparent to employees. Enables me to see where i am in terms of salary and where i can go when it comes to annual performance review. And the performance review process is one of the best I've seen.

ConsManagement are the bottle necks. Some are great; sadly depends who you report to. They take too long to make decisions and do things for the sake of doing things rather than for the good of the company or for the sake of improving processes. Too many middle and senior bosses who think and stay short term in their role. No long term commitments. Sad to see a successful company badly run when it can go and do so much better and faster. I'm not working as fast as I am capable or making a difference as fast as I would like.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess politics, recognize the management bottle necks and do something about it or remove it (don't move it elsewhere in the business). This will make things move and happen faster because it's proud managers stopping or delaying progress, not processes causing the bottle necks.

Nice way to ease into the healthcare field with no prior certification.

ProsA lot of practice with phlebotomy and customer care. I was lucky enough to work with people whom were nice and wanting to work as a team.

ConsCan be stressful at times when handling impatient donors waiting to be disconnected/stuck, reporting to a donor reaction, and multiple alarms all at once. It is a physically demanding job on your feet at all times and constantly moving the entire shift. Fast paced.

A great place to work

Medical (Current Employee) Parkville (Australia)

ProsReasonable salary, company benefits, travel.

ConsSome managers do not take into consideration work life balance...others do. Those that don't, make it difficult for staff who have other commitments (and/or children) to have a reasonable work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are receiving emails at night and on weekends from staff as well as throughout the normal work day, these staff are working overtime and allow more flexibility through the day.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Operation Staff

Operation Staff (Former Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsMany opportunities for one to explore

ConsJust as other large company's culture

Advice to Senior ManagementNil

Busy

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

Pros* Company produces life saving products
    * Colleagues are friendly and easy to approach.
    * Once made permanent job security is quite high

Cons* Management in my area are disorganized causing confusion in process
    * Workload is very high resulting in extreme extended hours of work - up to 18 hour days which includes extra time at home
    * Budget cut backs, despite massive profits, means that department is very understaffed.
    * Work requires skills and to work in conflicting environments. This means working on projects that require deep concentration yet also at the same time having to work constantly with customer interaction
    *Unrealistic opportunities are given. That is they are given but no room is made for someone to pursue them. That is already overworked so when given an opportunity have no time to really pursue it. Unless after hours when consultation with others is impossible. - this after hours is after the after hours you already do.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork roles need to be analysed as current job descriptions are conflicting for the skills required.
    Also needs more people in the department. So that conflciting roles can be taken on seperately

Down-to earth and friendly workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLow level of hierarchy and very talented senior management, great colleagues.

Consthe canteen could be better

Research Scientist (PhD qualified, Level 5)

ProsExpanding portfolio, an exciting time to be with CSL.

ConsNone that I can think of except the low amount of career opportunities, but I think this has been the case in most companies since the GFC.

Good comapny to work for

Software Developer (Former Employee) Jaipur, Rajasthan (India)

ProsWork /Life Balance and Culture & Values

ConsSenior Management is not so good

Love working with really smart people who are passionate about what they do.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsWe make life saving products and people who work here have a real sense of purpose. The Company is high integrity and there is plenty of scope for advancement as they like to promote internally. The international aspect is good - we have a lot of contact with colleagues from around the world and the Company believes in supporting travel to work face to face with colleagues and build strong relationshios. The Company is financially secure.

ConsThe site and some of the offices in Melbourne are old fashioned and a bit shabby. If you are working on international projects youj often have to take calls late at night.

Worked for CSL? Contribute to the Community!