CSM Reviews

Gerard J. Hoetmer

target

Former Employee - CSM in Chicago Heights, IL
    Former Employee - CSM in Chicago Heights, IL

I worked at CSM part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great place to work . good chance to get promoted if you show your work in timely maner

Cons

work life is little bit busy .. office-staff is make you run run and run all the time .

nothikng to sat

regional sales

Former Employee - Regional Sales in Northeast Center, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Sales in Northeast Center, NY

I worked at CSM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Customer working to help them build their business. Some Great product lines.

Cons

Terrible upper management sucks the life out of the regional areas. Controlling. hostile workplace

Change your upper management.

What a joke.

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at CSM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exceptional coworkers (until they inevitably quit the second they find something better)
    Excellent front desk manager

Cons

$10/hr salary
    No training
    Front desk itself is very low/uncomfortable to work at.
    GM and AGM are unapproachable and rude.

I work at one of CSM's top hotel properties. We are one of the best properties because we demonstrate superior customer service due to our staff being very friendly people who enjoy making others happy. Unfortunately, however, I suspect that this will not last for much longer as this company does not seem to care if we are happy.

Management does not appreciate suggestions of how things could be improved. They are standoffish, rude, and do not lead by example. The employee menu is very limited with unhealthy items, and there are few other options around the hotel. When the AGM and GM come in, they avoid eye contact and don't say hi to you. In the meantime, you're expected to greet each guest with a cheery "Good morning!" and a smile.

Since I was hired, I think I may have spoken to the GM maybe once. When we are understaffed and things are overwhelmingly busy at the desk (which he can see from the cameras), he will never come out to help. It is frustrating to say the least. He sure is great at replying to trip advisor reviews, though.

While the lobby was nicely remodeled a few years back, the front desk itself was ignored, which wouldn't be a problem except that is so low to the ground that we have to bend our backs and crane our necks to look at the computers. By the way, I am only 5 '3, so you can imagine how uncomfortable this is for my taller associates.

Despite all of this, I have enjoyed my job. My associates are great people to work with. The hotel would fall to ground without our front desk manager. That said, I recently put in my notice and will be leaving for a higher paying job with a company that is in the top 10 to work for in this state.

If you paid your front desk staff a LITTLE more and LISTENED to them, you would not have such a high turn-over rate, and would not lose otherwise motivated, experienced, friendly, hard working front desk staff members. We work very hard to make guests happy and are the
    forefront of the hotel; we deserve to be paid fairly.

Pricing analyst

Former Employee - Procurement in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Procurement in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CSM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are fun and easy going. The work life balance is good.

Cons

Limited career progression opportunities. Most people are doing what they have done for 20 years.

Actively invest in building talent to take the company to the next level.

customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CSM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

to much work, more people to handle better the service.

Cons

very good benefits, friendly people.

CSM management is Dysfunctional in Minneapolis

Former Employee - Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CSM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees at CSM are willing and ready to be lead.

Cons

There are people at CSM that are trying to move in the right direction correcting long standing issues in two internal plant operations that should be supporting each other within the building. however in trying the Senior leader has created a smoke screen thinking the actions taken are helping the managers on the floor are controlling and unwilling to correct problems that will blowup in the long run. The Senior manager has allowed his plant to be taken over by the inmates. Given time it will explode.

Senior management needs to be changed by someone who has not been raised / promoted within the same plant his entire career. If CSM management is reading this note remember the number never tell the total story.

As H.C. Brill the company showed huge potential, Down hill spiral after acqusition.

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Tucker, GA

I have been working at CSM

Pros

The company has some of the most amazing people and talent across many functional areas. On a low to upper middle management level the efforts to work together and do what is right is thriving and working here is a pleasure. It can be a very enjoyable place to work and the employees are like family in and out of the office working for a common goal with a strong desire to achieve and succeed.

Cons

Several key senior managers and the tiers just below have lost touch with reality. Politics and power, mixed with the blame game are driving poor results and pushing morale way down. Many departments quiver when these individuals come around. A great talking game but delivery comes up short. Talk the talk and walk the walk with authority. Show some loyalty to the staff and in time the trust will return from all rank and file, but until then truth, trust, and honesty has been breech and a wall has been built between certain Sr. Managers and the team below . The environment is tense and the best work is never delivered when looking over your shoulder for the knife in your back.

Wake up and weed out the bad apples at the top of the tree because they are beginning to erode the soil around the roots and the tree is beginning to be unstable.

Very enjoyable. Great people and great atmosphere.

Former Employee - Customer Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CSM

Pros

Great products and excellent salesforce. Dynamic company that is growing with the food manufacturing industry. Nationwide distribution and production capabilities.

Cons

As a company that is a conglomeration of smaller bakery companies it is still disjointed at times. While this is being addressed, it will continue to take time.

Continue to build the cross functional teams within the organization. As the various companies have come together, the interdepartment exchange of ideas will be crucial.

Trying hard to be #2

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at CSM

Pros

Convenient locations...good staff to work with

Cons

Grew too fast...beholden to corporate in Chicago

Lay off in areas that can afford it...keep people in areas that are already productive

Political environment and weak leadership

I have been working at CSM

Pros

Work-life balance flexibility, interesting products, motivated colleagues

Cons

weak leadership, lack of HR influence, highly political organization, not always willing to invest in people, corporate image still needs to be built, need for internationalization on corporate level functions

Make sure respect for the employees is put in the center of the organization, avoid too much political decision taking and build on strong leadership and execution!

CSM Photos