CSSS.NET Reviews

Lisa Wolford

1. A little too late

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Falling Waters, WV
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Falling Waters, WV

I worked at CSSS.NET full-time (less than a year)

Pros

NIce pleasant considerate polite people

Cons

Not very attentive unresponsive non communcative

Not to be greedy

Worst experience in my career

I worked at CSSS.NET

Pros

Really weren't any. Owner is extremely self centered and unprofessional

Cons

CEO and owner is the most unethical and greedy person I have meet in over 20 years of government contracting. Does not care about her employees. Spends more money on buying awards then the staff that is winning her contracts Owner does not honor contracts she has signed. I have never had more inappropriate comments come from executive management. This company is a law suit waiting to happen. Benefits are awful. Has potential but not with ms Wolford running the company

The turn over is because of the way you run the company. Look in the mirror and realize you are the problem. Remember the importance of good staff. Be professional and treat your staff with respect. Quit gossiping. They are not there to have you judge them on a personal level. They are there to help you succeed.

Worst contract company I've ever had the displeasure of working for

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at CSSS.NET as a contractor

Pros

The home office was out of state and we didn't have to deal with them face to face all that much.

I suppose this could be a pro - they have since changed their name to "Constellation West". Now you don't have to remember how many S's there are or repeat yourself when you tell someone you work for CSSS.NET.

Cons

1) Unprofessional-ism. Some examples:

-Employees that left our contract (on good terms) were bad-mouthed in front of their former co-workers. When an individual left to pursue better career the rest of the staff was told "It sure is a lot more professional around here now that so and so left". To say the least this fosters a resentful and hostile environment. Even if it had been true (it wasn't), you don't say that in front of your employees.

-Employees were 'hand picked' for promotions or added responsibilities while others that were clearly qualified were overlooked and not given an honest chance (even after expressing interest). An employee that had the required certification was passed over for someone that had to be sent to training at the expense of the company.

2) Various CSSS.NET policies. For example - forcing us to use PTO in order to get paid when the entire office is closed due to inclement weather.

3) Merit/cost of living increases are pretty much non-existent. I'm no mathematician but when you have a small handful of employees (less than 20) with most of them making low middle income salary and you have a contract worth almost $2 million, there's a little more wiggle room than they pretend to have.

Insurance premiums are a COMPLETE AND UTTER JOKE. I would be embarrassed to offer such rates to my employees. A lot of their employees are Veterans and have VA Benefits, so I get it. However, when your contract staff starts looking and can get a better rates on their own, you need to re-evaluate your priorities. Clearly taking care of your employees is not one of them.

Normally when the end of the contract comes up for renewal the staff is filled with anxiety. "Will I still have a job? Will my friends still have a job?" It says a lot when your employees are keeping their fingers crossed that you lose the contract so they can be absorbed by a new company. It's true that the grass isn't always greener, but with CSSS.NET it can't get much worse.

Worst working experience

I worked at CSSS.NET full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They do pay you, which is the only pros to this place.

Cons

Everything is a knee-jerk reaction. What ever skills you possess that gets you hired, you will never use again. You will do whatever the CEOs comes up with. With her sever lack of management abilities, people skills, or knowledge of her business - she seeks to demean her staff. The same staff that works an incredible amount of hours to make her money. There is a revolving door that I have not seen the likes of in a government contracting work environment. I wish this was a joke. If you need a job, just understand this is a temporary place to work, don't try and hang your hat here.

I have never seen a more unethical President/CEO of a company. I don't know what you can do when the bad fruit is at the top.

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CSSS.NET

Pros

Company really cares about its employees. Pay and benefits are comparable with the other firms I have worked at in the last 20 years.

Cons

Government contracting is very competitive and so it makes it a challenging environment when the government won't/can't buy new equipment.

Communicate more with your employees

Disorganized and chaotic environment

I have been working at CSSS.NET

Pros

Small company with potential to do various things.

Cons

They expect you to give more than is reasonable and do not reward extra effort. It feels like they own your life, work life balance is unheard of. There is a lot of unprofessional behavior. The benefits are poor and pay raises are non-existent. If you are offered a position here, turn it down.

Don't work for these people!

I have been working at CSSS.NET

Pros

The one good thing is that the corporate office and senior managment don't interfere too much with our work.

Cons

Awful benefits - I bought my own insurance with the same deductibles for $50+ cheaper than they offered. They bring everyone in at 4.61 hrs of PTO earned per pay period and it takes FOREVER to move up to a higher earning rate. However, the worst part about this company is that they DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES AT ALL. They will sell you out or avoid rewarding you no matter how well you perform if it means they can make an extra dollar at the corporate office. Don't pay attention to any awards they claim - none of those come from employee ratings, that's for sure. Within two months of CSSS assuming our contract, they cut out little perks previous companies had provided. They also expect me to answer my personal cell phone at any hour of the day but won't reimburse me for any related expense. The federal building in which we work was closed because of inclement weather, and they initially tried to make us take a vacation day for it even though we didn't even have the OPTION to come to work. When the government renewed our contract after the first year, the company automatically received a 3% raise in compensation for the work. But of course, this did not get passed down to the employees. I got a performance review that was WELL ABOVE average and received a 1.5% raise. So the company got an increase of 3% for the work WE did, and they gave me a 1.5% increase. Thanks!!! That almost covers the increase in gas prices (well, actually it doesn't come close to covering even that). NO ONE got over a 2% raise. Sadly, none of us were surprised - we all anticipated that they would figure out a way to keep as much of the profit for themselves. I know every company is in business to make money, but they used this as an opportunity to increase their margin on our contract rather than rewarding employees who ACTUALLY EARNED THE CONTRACT RENEWAL FOR THEM. They really are shameless. To a person, every one of the employees in my location cannot wait for the time when they are no longer eligible to have our contract. I would never work for this company again and will strongly advise anyone I come into contact with to avoid this company. I would also never give them a positive review to any other business/agency looking for their services.

Do the right thing: reward your employees appropriately and stop making it so blatantly obvious that you do not value your workers.

Exchange Engineer

Former Employee - Exchange Engineer in Hines, IL
    Former Employee - Exchange Engineer in Hines, IL

I worked at CSSS.NET

Pros

Decent Pay Wages for type of work completed - Easy Money

Cons

Government Contractor = No Respect

Do your Job - Manage - be accountable for something...

A place to avoid at all costs

I have been working at CSSS.NET

Pros

IF you are out of work AND need a job, it is better than unemployment.

Cons

Unethics from the top choke out any chance this company has to survive.

Fire the president and make it an employee owned company. You might stand a chance.

Least employee-friendly place I have ever known

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at CSSS.NET

Pros

They offer a decent match on 401k, and the account managers/business development people seem competent.

Cons

This company ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT CARE about the employees outside of the corporate office in Bellevue. They have horrible benefits. The insurance rates are incredibly high - I found matching coverage for myself at a third of the price that they offered. The insurance rates are more than double that of the company that previously had our government contract. CSSS took over our contract from another company and started us all off with ZERO PTO and gave us each entry-level accrual rates. This is the fourth company to hire this group of workers for this contract over the past several years, and it is the ONLY one that didn't grandfather in seniority or PTO accrual rates. Personally, this is the lowest amount of PTO (considering it covers sick & vacation time) that I have ever earned, including my entry-level job I took right after college graduation. When the government building is unexpectedly closed for weather or some other reason, they force us to use PTO for those days even though we did not have the option to come to work (and the company still got paid for those days). They also base everything off an 8 hour work day, meaning if we work less than 8 hours in a given day, we must take PTO to cover the rest. So if someone works 48 hours from Monday-Thursday and then only works 5 hours on Friday, he/she must take 3 hours of PTO for Friday despite the fact that the individual has logged 53 hours in the week (I have personally experienced this more than once, btw). I have never been a part of or have ever heard of a company that expects more and rewards less than CSSS.net.

There are a bunch of other little things that further this company's reputation as indifferent/uncaring. They probably would seem petty if I listed them all here, but rest assured there is a seemingly infinite number of examples that demonstrate this company's lack of respect toward its workers. A simple example is how they told us they were organizing a nice holiday party for us. They were going to rent out a space/room and have a nice meal for us. Of course, this party was postponed by the corporate office several times and never came to fruition. Eventually they did allow our boss to get some carry-out for us one day. So the holiday party ended up being carry-out from a local restaurant that we ate at our desks. That is in no way hyperbole or an exaggeration, and it is a simple illustration of how CSSS.net regards its employees. If you can avoid working for this company, do so. If they offer you a position, RUN AWAY!!!!!

Your lack of thought and consideration for your employees as well as your singular focus on doing whatever you can to maximize profits no matter the cost/effect to employees is transparent. You don't have to strive to become an "employer of choice" or anything like that, but at least show some basic respect and consideration for your workers. If an employee is willing to give you 60 hours of work in a week, don't penalize him/her and force the worker to take 5 hours of PTO because 55 of those hours occurred in four days. You should be pleased that an employee is willing to give you that service and has that work ethic, but instead you essentially punish him/her by forcing PTO. This strategy cultivates an attitude of "I'll give you my 40 hours, but I'll never stay late or work harder unless I'm forced to do so." I watched people who would normally work 48 hours in a week go to working 40 on the dot because of this strategy. I've seen our particular contract change hands/ownership four times now. Normally when it goes out for bid, the workers are apprehensive and truly wish that they could simply stay with the current company. Everyone has anxiety and is worried that they will be out of a job...tensions run high and it is an awful experience. However, as we near renewal time this year, 100% of our staff is hoping CSSS does not get this contract again. People are welcoming the uncertainty that comes with putting this contract out for bid and are accepting of the possibility that it means they could lose their jobs - they are okay with that possibility rather than work another day for this company. What does that tell you?