CST Industries
www.cstindustries.com Lenexa, KS

CST Industries Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014
CST Industries – “CST Storage is the only company with a complete…”

Tail wags the dog

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CST Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Prosfast paced, high energy, high intensity

Consdecisions made without all of the facts, intimidation does not lead to open discussions

Advice to Senior Managementtry listening more

Great company

Treasury Manager (Former Employee)
Falls Church, VA

I worked at CST Industries full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery friendly place to work.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNOne

It depends on you

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at CST Industries full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you're lazy or dysfuntional like the people below. Please, go somewhere else. If you're a type A and want to kick some tail with others like you, then this is your place. Don't take my word for it, ask why the average CST employees has been here over 15 years. 30 to 35 year veterans are common and appreciated. It's an environment where safety, quality and employee well-being come first. New ideas are welcome. As with any new management team (going on three years now), the house had to be cleaned otherwise progress cannot be made. CST's safety record is impeccable. Some plants have over 4 years and no lost time accidents. Employees at each plant get $100 for each year every they have no recordables. One plant gave away $400 per person this year in cash! Just for being safe. As for career opportunities, they are frequent. I have seen multiple promotions in my 4 years. It seems there is at least one every month where someone is advancing. As for management layers, there are basically two between the lowest level and the president, who is passionate, always friendly and actually cares about the employees; willing to talk to anyone at anytime. Arrogance has no place here.

ConsUnfortunately the few rule breakers have required a tight reign. But as the bad seeds have been removed, so the work environment has improved. This will only continue to get better. Also be forewarned, CST is a lean company, so everyone must pull their weight. Yes, occassionaly you will need to work a weekend or evening. Sometimes the work just needs to get done. Imagine that, a company with people that still work hard. Regardless your managers will be right there with you in the trenches.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the people below get you down. Every one of them was given a chance to improve and chose not to. Stay focused on the objective, which is to make a great company even better and an even better place to work.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CST If you HATE working with a clear plan of action, this is your place.

IT Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at CST Industries full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn life, you learn from both sides of the general ledger. At
CST, ESP, Tectank, Harvestore, CTT, Aquastore (whatever name they pick today), you will learn how NOT to run a company and how NOT to treat your employees. Your next
employment will be a piece of cake. Your first couple of days/months
will be great at CST until the newness wears off and, like a kid with
a new toy, upper management will grow tired of you and will be looking
for the next new toy to play with. If you’re hired on as a VP or
above, and you’ll know this because your picture will be on the CST
webpage with the other good old boys, congrats you won the lottery!
Working for CST is a “wild west” show with management shooting at
shining things. If you like this style of management, you’ll love
working for CST. You won’t be bored; each day management has a new
brain fart that you must get done RIGHT NOW! If you HATE working with
a clear plan of action, this is your place.

ConsHigh turnover rate.. Hint: Most of the individuals that left
did not leave on their own. The problem for the company is this, they
had the market to themselves and any management team will work when
you have the market to yourself.

First, the management team upset some very intelligent employees. The
former employees broke off and started their own company making the
same product.

Second, the management team upset their largest dealer who then
started making their own products. Now they are fighting for market
share with an outdated management style.

CST runs on the old “My way or the highway” management style
currently. Guess what, it’s not working. Some employees took the
easy out which worked out well for them but not for CST. Also,
important point, when CST was in the “glory days”, they made record
profits. No bonuses were ever paid. So, if you are considering
working for CST, don’t fall for the bonus line, they don’t pay it.
They canceled spending $100 for a Christmas potluck lunch for the
employees but still booked a private room at a top end club for the
top level management and handed out prizes. They bought high end
shirts, computer bags, coffee, among other stuff. The stuff all had
custom company logos and only top level managers were able to get
these. The intention was to make themselves stand out from the
lowlife worker-bees.

You will not have any sick days. If you get sick you’ll be asked to
take a vacation day. If you work late or all weekend on a high
priority issue, the next business day you’ll have to be at your desk
by 8:00 am or management will make you take a half day vacation, even
if your 5 minutes late. If you have a doctor appointment, must have a
note from your doctor. CST is very old school and unprofessional.
The health insurance is self-administered and a joke. I know of
co-workers buying basic health items on ebay because the health
insurance wouldn’t cover it. The head of IT had no idea what he was
doing and randomly came up with bad ideas just because he could. He
used to call them “planned disasters”. The ideas were wild ideas as
if they wanted to destroy the company.

One last warning, if you’re hired on as a “temp to hire”, plan on
being fired on the 90th day. That way, they can keep the head count
down.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the employee and listen to them. Treat them as people, not like office carbon basic units. Stop managing by spreadsheet

Very negative work environment. Avoid if possible

Information Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at CST Industries full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of great people scattered amongst a lot of departments.

ConsManagement in this company has an unbelievable pattern of destroying talent. Before I left, my entire department was basically liquified in order to fulfill the ego-centric viewpoint held by our CIO. This win at all cost strategy is terrible for the company. It is shocking to me that no one seems to recognize that the systematic abuse of employees will steer people away.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have invested significant amount of resources into projects and followed that by making an environment so toxic that the talent you need to implement those strategies left. Some employees are more than just their job, they make a work environment enjoyable. This is easily one of the most miserable job experiences in my long history.

Long hours with no direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
DeKalb, IL

I worked at CST Industries

ProsWork is pretty easy and amount of hours/overtime is consistent.

ConsVery bad management. Head managers don't know how to do basic job tasks and must ask other employees procedures. End of line must wait until there is a break in glass line to go to 10 min breaks and lunch, which is dictated by front of line and glass gauge. So lunch and breaks are inconsistent sometimes leading to very late lunches, but front of line has break time on the specific time, on the dot. Change in hours/shift given only 2 days in advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow how to do tasks and keep order amongst workers by showing fairness.

If you're hoping to develop ulcers, and enjoy being insulted, this is a home for you

Drafter (Former Employee)

I worked at CST Industries full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some fantastic people at CST. Every department within CST contains some people who can absolutely make your day and do seem to care about the job.

ConsI don't even know where to start. There is a revolving door on the building for a reason; new managers come and go with such lightening speed you can't figure out who is who. Everything you do on your PC monitored 100%, and minutes are counted to determine your performance. Micromanagement is an extreme. Staff turnover is unbelievable. Incredibly top heavy. Prepare to have 6 or 7 bosses to report to.

Advice to Senior ManagementThin the ranks. Your management style is a complete disgrace. There are plenty of promises made and almost none are kept. I'd be very wary. Every single person not senior management lives in fear of being fired every day.

Good luck!

Information Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at CST Industries full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary was decent and many of the folks I had to work with every day were quality. The workload was pretty typical most of the time.

Cons60 - 80 hours a week on average. The hours were from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and upper management was so strict they'd get angry if you came in at 8:01. Their attitude was you need to be there an hour early and stay at least an hour over every day. Plan to work weekends. CEO is smart but very two faced. Executive management will tell you to help come up with new ideas, but they won't listen to them. I personally caught the CIO in several lies, and then he'd lie to cover the lies.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people. Fire all the executives and bring in management that will work with and support new ideas. Hire management that treats professionals like adults and with respect.

You might get used pretty badly

I have been working at CST Industries

ProsThe new CEO is really sharp, but years of mismanagement, organizational dysfunction, and a few legacy senior staff who exhibit old boy network tendencies have created a place to avoid. It's probably years from turning around. If you're an engineer I'd say it's worth looking at, Sales is neutral, while IT and HR are commonly described as nightmarish.

ConsIn an effort to correct years of neglect they've been hiring people to accomplish certain goals and once achieved, letting them go because they're not able to sustain the payroll. Moody's downgraded them in Q4 2011. Some people were asked to work 60-70 workweeks only to be cut once a major project was completed. The scuttlebut is that is that they're trying to make the organization look good to outsiders in order to sell to another larger company.

Worked for CST Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CST Industries reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by CST Industries employees.