CSU Sacramento

www.csus.edu

CSU Sacramento Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
CSU Sacramento – Sacramento – “The WELL at Sacramento State”

CSU Sacramento President Alexander Gonzalez

Alexander Gonzalez

Chemistry Stockroom

ProsIt's nice that it's on campus, and its a good place to get your feet wet. The supervisors are usually very nice

ConsI understand it's a campus job, but pay is low. Student assistance is underfunded; the best you can get is more hours.

Great benefits, beautiful campus, head-in-the-sand management

ProsThe medical, dental, vision benefits are excellent. People on campus are friendly and helpful and the campus is a beautiful place to walk at lunch.

ConsSome of management is so full of ego and wanting power that they work from an "us" against "them" viewpoint instead of a "what more could we accomplish if we work together" vantage. New ideas are not welcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the wisdom and abilities of your employees

Enjoy working at Sac State

ProsPros: Beautiful campus; engaging students; good colleagues.

ConsCons: No raises; difficult driving to and parking on campus; not many promotional opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in professional development.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThe benefits are great, pretty campus...

ConsLow pay, no opportunities for advancement (frequently turning down promoting internal candidates in favor of external candidates), no reward for doing a good job so it makes people pretty unmotivated and apathetic about their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what your employees are actually doing and make the workload distribution and pay scales fair.

Served as Administrator of a new research center.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsEnjoyed working in a campus environment. Particularly found the students to be an invigorating part of the work.

ConsFaculty are often lone eagles who do their own thing on their own terms. This made it very difficult to forge cooperation and collaboration with some of them in order to achieve research goals. Also, multiple rounds of budget cuts from the state created a very difficult fiscal environment, which negatively affected morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to use more business-like management practices, and create performance incentives for motivating faculty members.

Excellent Student Job

Terminal Lounge/Gallery Attendant (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat flexibility with school class schedule

ConsLow pay but that's to be expected of a student job.

Writing Center Tutor

Tutor (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsIt is a nice working environment. There are a lot of nice and intellectual people there and the Center is a place where tutors can hang out, do their homework, or socialize with other tutors in the staff room in between classes, even when they are not on duty.
    The Supervisors are very helpful and when there is an issue (for example: a tutor is having trouble making progress with a student), they are more than happy to give advice and help in anyway.

ConsOne of the cons is that to work at the Writing Center is that you have to take the class the semester before.
    Another con about this position is the number of hours they give the students. It ranges from each semester from 3 to 5 hours a week depending on how many tutors are employed and how much money the department have to pay the tutors.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Short but Sweet

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsLoved working on campus because my hours were set around my class schedule. It was nice knowing that once I left campus I was done. Made traveling convenient and the pay was great.

ConsGetting paid once a month

great experience at csus, learned a lot

Adjunct Teacher (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

Prosgood campus, caring professors, learned a lot

Consexpensive, could have been more affordable

Advice to Senior Managementless budget cuts

As a Master's student, teaching in the Composition and Rhetoric program was wonderful.

Freshman Composition Instructor (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsI had full control of the scope and sequence of classroom material for the freshman composition course I taught. I could design and present anything I wanted to as long as I met the department's learning outcomes although I did have to submit the outline for my course before the semester started. My advisors were wonderful. They were always available to help with any teaching challenges I had. They would look over any material I designed that I had questions about. Overall, I had almost too much freedom. I tended to spend too much time creating original material and spent an extensive amount of time grading papers. This was purely my own choice.

ConsI was only paid for one office hour, but my students (25 per class) needed much more than that. I spent about 30 minutes per day answering email and met with students before and after class in the classroom. I also made time for them outside of the office hour but in my office (a shared office with other MA student teachers). I realize the university cannot pay for the extensive personal needs of the students, but as a caring teacher, I felt I needed to be available. I am not sure how the school can reconcile the fact that the students need much more time than just in the classroom. I guess, with experience, I will need to learn to convey to my students that I have limited availability outside of the classroom and not allow them to meet and communicate with me as much. I just need to set stricter limits. This is the type of job that can easily take over your life!

Advice to Senior ManagementI think having too much freedom, especially for a brand new teacher, can be a bad thing. In retrospect, I think having an outline of the course set up with some of the material prepared would have been nice. I spent hours and hours creating my own material and agonizing about in what order and how to present it. I would also liked to have had some norming sessions when tackling a set of essays once they have been submitted. I had difficulty limiting my feedback to the most important points. I wanted to give feedback on everything! I think more mentoring in this area would be wonderful.

Worked for CSU Sacramento? Contribute to the Community!