CSU Stanislaus Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
CEO

1. Working here has been a great learning experience although it does have it's flaws.

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Turlock, CA
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Turlock, CA

I have been working at CSU Stanislaus

Pros

The job is easy and steady paced. They are pretty relaxed about what you are allowed to do as well but this may just be a result of being a student worker. There are rarely any issues with regards to customer service.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage and due to the low budget, the possibility of getting a raise is very low. The job can be dull and boring when much of the busy work has been done and patron flow is slow.

Worked here 11 years

Former Employee - Staff
    Former Employee - Staff

I worked at CSU Stanislaus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are great. Excellent health coverage which is one reason I stayed so long. Also free tuition for yourself and/or dependents. And a lot of the people are really wonderful.

Cons

It was a great place when I was young and needed to get started. But there's very little room for growth, no raises to speak of, and lots of red tape. If you're happy being a secretary for the rest of your life and never seeing a cost of living increase, I guess you'll be happy here. I worked my way up as far as I could get and then got out. I hear the current President (as of 2014-15) is great, though, and the administration has a big impact on culture and morale. I worked there under some terrible administrations and morale was low. While benefits are great, compensation (salary) is not.

Look Elsewhere

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Turlock, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Turlock, CA

I worked at CSU Stanislaus

Pros

The students are earnest and seeking to improve themselves for the job market.

Cons

The teaching and service load are very high considering the publication requirements. There is word that the teaching load will increase. The state doesn't support higher education adequately, so there are always budget shortfalls which increases competition for funds within the university. The competitive climate creates tensions, and collegiality is very low. Administrative support for faculty is also very low. While collaboration is preaches, the reality is that the university is a classic bureaucracy with autocratic leadership. Outspoken junior faculty beware! Your ideas are not welcome. New ideas are viewed as an insult and threat to those who developed prior ones.

Advice to Management

Support faculty. Listen to their ideas. Stop preaching collaboration and punishing people with alternative ideas.

5. I kind of liked it at first, but after new management and group of employees came in, everything went downhill.

I worked at CSU Stanislaus part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice staff when I came in. I got to know the contributions of community members around the university. The old staff got well together and really liked each other for the most part - since we really worked as a team and sometimes felt like a family.

Cons

New management/staff that came in - Almost everyone left/got fired in our department, they hired about 10 new employees to replace the old ones (when they said they were lacking funds). The culture changed which led to more selfishness around the department (employees passing the "dirty work" to lower employees and so on just to 'cover' themselves and other unfair treatment). Most new employees lacked communication and expected to lead projects with just leaving sticky notes, copy&pasted emails, or bossing/demanding things from other people around at the last minute. This then felt a burden on me and they got aggravated when things didn't go their way (go figure). The 3 years I worked there, only a quarter raise.

Advice to Management

More fairness, treat everyone the same, encourage promotions and salary raises, more respect. Be available for more 'to the point' meetings when discussing projects.

6. conveient

I have been working at CSU Stanislaus

Pros

Flexible hours with busy schedule

Cons

Low wages and no room for advancment

7. Very active and supportive community

Current Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Turlock, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Turlock, CA

I have been working at CSU Stanislaus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are events going on regularly around campus that are great ways to bond with fellow coworkers. Your work positively impacts the lives and education of thousands of students. Very relaxed work atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to coordinate with other members of the campus community, there are only so many meetings that I can take.

Advice to Management

Look into more open and interactive ways to collaborate around campus. Meetings can really slow down projects.

8. A place with mixed blessings.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Turlock, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Turlock, CA

I have been working at CSU Stanislaus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about teaching at CSU Stanislaus is the student body. Most are first generation college students, work to support themselves financially, have strong connections to family and friends and struggle to balance work, family and school. They participate in class and seek to learn something meaningful while getting educated for ethical jobs.

Cons

A very bureaucratic university, resistant to innovation, highly adversarial faculty-admin relations in a state in continual budget crisis and little support from the public. No support for research, but considered part of your job and expected. Pay raises practically nonexistent. Salaries flat since 1998.

Advice to Management

Improve the campus climate and support the faculty.

Amazing benefits, but worst atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turlock, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turlock, CA

I worked at CSU Stanislaus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits, you get taken care of for life

Cons

People are friendly and semi helpful. If it is not in your job duty, you shouldn't be helping anyone.

Advice to Management

Most say they work in a Team environment, but it is not. People are on their toes constantly and do not feel comfortable in the team setting. This is not for all departments, just one in particular.

10. good place to work for me

I worked at CSU Stanislaus

Pros

good place, peaceful that;s all

Cons

low income for the level

11. Great people, great work/life balance.

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Turlock, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Turlock, CA

I have been working at CSU Stanislaus part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-People are friendly/approachable
    -Involvement in the campus community is valued
    -Most people are passionate about their work and are helpful

Cons

-Salary is not as competitive compared to other types of positions on campus
    -Sometimes academic study is valued more than hands-on experience

RSS Feed </> Embed