CSX Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward
Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • decent pay and benefits, some good people to work with (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook (in 8 reviews)

• 12 hour days are not uncommon and you will most likely be on call 24 hrs per day (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad management

I worked at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits horribly led management

Cons

The management's led by peple who hold grudges

GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR PROFESSIONALS, AVERAGE EMPLOYEES WILL NOT SURVIVE

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

All compensation programs, including, basic pay, railroad retirement, bonus, 401K match. Smart connected coworkers, willing to help with anything, safety focused at every level, workload is extreme where you must be at your best every day, professional dress, Senior management are easy to talk with.

Cons

Mangers take EVERY LITTLE error and mistake and blow it out of proportion. They spend 99% of the feedback time on the 1 % of mistakes. They spend 1% of the feedback time on the 99% positives. Dont worry about what other supervisors think about your employee.

Stop focusing on the small mistakes that employees make, we are human, we make mistakes, just accept it. Focus more on the positive influence we have on our industry, co workers and community.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Training Instructor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Training Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging work, opportunity for advancement, growth and the variety of work

Cons

When newly hired you will work a lot of hours and when on the mainline running trains you will be gone from home a lot.

Work to develop your employees for the good of the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, great place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Director  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Director in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you are motivated by working with great people who all understand and are committed to a companies core values, you will love it here. CSX is a company that rewards its employees for hard work, innovation, and goes the extra mile to develop people.

Cons

This is not really a con, but if you are looking to hire on to a company and coast through your career, this is not the place for you.

"How Tomorrow Moves" Your Career

Current Employee - Solutions Architect  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

CSX has many opportunities for all areas in business as well as in craft trades. There are several companies under the CSX Corporate umbrella. CSX provides excellent training and support to further your knowledge base and prepare you for future responsibilities and compensation. The culture is excellent for anyone wanting to advance in their careers. Excellent benefits and reward/recognition programs as well as advancement opportunities. Salaries are very competitive with other similar industries. The five core values of the company are taken seriously and our reputation is impeccable. The executive team provides innovative leadership. Communications are timely and transparent. You control your future by participating in training and desire to do a good job. CSX, a great place to work and grow.

Cons

Cons are very few. As with any large corporation, there is a bureaucracy. This is softened by the quick response to needs by the differing departments.

Keep up the good work. Due to your leadership, we are a respected company in the communities that we service. The TV commercials generate interest in the rail industry. Mr. Ward, love the weekly voice-mail updates.

Tremendous team and unlimited opportunities.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked for another Fortune 500 company for 12 years prior to working at CSX. My best day there is my worst day at CSX. CSX takes stock in their employees empowering them to work towards any professional goal they might aspire to reach.

Cons

Nothing significant to mention here.

I am very pleased with the opportunities presented to me for personal/professional growth.

CSX is a good place for a long-term career

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay is good, as are benefits. Growth opportunities are provided, and can enable a person to work in multiple different departments during a career with the company. Employees are encouraged to develop themselves, both technically and as regards management ability. Bonus program has paid well the last few years, even in a down economy.

Cons

Corporate culture is always a challenge, navigating the politics. Overtime is expected to be worked without compensation, though some managers make efforts to provide balancing time off for their people. There is no clear promotion path for many positions, and this encourages employees to move and take new a new job in a different department in order to advance. Bonus distribution is not as objective as I would like, and requires immediate management to negotiate the money for their direct reports.

Don't forget the little people who keep things operating. Everyday tasks are just as important as the big visible projects, and deserve recognition. Projects which lay foundations of software and data, but without immediate ROI, are sometimes necessary to accomplish, in order to enable development of other projects that do have large ROI.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pride amongst CSX employees is incredible. Anywhere I go in the community, people come up to me asking how I got on at CSX and how they would love to work for us. I am proud to work for such a great company where the benefits are excellent and the people are wonderful to work with. The career opportunities are also very robust - you truly can work here forever.

Cons

Given the rich history of the railroad, we still opportunity for employees who are in the various unions to feel connected to the employees in Corporate Headquarters in Jacksonville. CSX Executives are making great strides, though, and the divide gets smaller everyday.

We love seeing you! Please keep walking around and attending community events with us.

I couldn't imagine working anywhere else

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, great pay, great benefits, great atmosphere... great company that provides for this nation

Cons

Very fast-paced, ever changing environment

Many careers within one company

Current Employee - Talent Advisor  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Talent Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

CSX has a strong people focus culture, putting people first has allowed leadership to ensure our place as one of the best places to work in the industry; I've had several different types of positions (different careers if you will) while staying at one company; Working in Talent Acquisition allows me to ensure CSX is getting the best future employees available.

Cons

Our industry is 24x7 and there are times when that lifestyle can be difficult to maintain; While we don't have overtime compensation for management employees, we have a performance based bonus program that compensates for the long hours.

Worked for CSX? Contribute to the Community!