CSX Reviews

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
3.5

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward
Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • decent pay and benefits, some good people to work with (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook (in 10 reviews)

• no family life, and they screwed the workers out of wages for health care (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working at CSX

Current Employee - Systems Administrator I  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator I in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love my work at CSX. The work in the IT department is both challenging and rewarding. I have the opportunity to work on projects in other departments and in other areas of IT. I also really enjoy the people I work with, which makes a huge difference for me. The company shows in many ways that it is concerned about me, my family, and the community. That's important to me and it's something that I can stand behind.

Cons

There are plenty of jobs that I'm interested in, but most of them are in Jacksonville, FL. While I'm fine with living in Jacksonville, the opportunities to relocate are not great.

Introduce paternity leave so that good employees can also be good fathers.

Great company, wonderful co workers

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent office environment with helpful and professional co workers. Projects can be challenging but have an overall meaning.

Cons

Commute to downtown is rough, the IT help desk process can take a whole lot longer than you have to finish projects.

Csx

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at CSX full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and the building has a gym and cafeteria

Cons

Lots of politics and a old boy network

Think about how you are treating your employees that are experts in their fields and educated. If you treat these people like hourly employees you don't get as much out of them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad management

I worked at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits horribly led management

Cons

The management's led by peple who hold grudges

GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR PROFESSIONALS, AVERAGE EMPLOYEES WILL NOT SURVIVE

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

All compensation programs, including, basic pay, railroad retirement, bonus, 401K match. Smart connected coworkers, willing to help with anything, safety focused at every level, workload is extreme where you must be at your best every day, professional dress, Senior management are easy to talk with.

Cons

Mangers take EVERY LITTLE error and mistake and blow it out of proportion. They spend 99% of the feedback time on the 1 % of mistakes. They spend 1% of the feedback time on the 99% positives. Dont worry about what other supervisors think about your employee.

Stop focusing on the small mistakes that employees make, we are human, we make mistakes, just accept it. Focus more on the positive influence we have on our industry, co workers and community.

CSX provides a stable organization dedicated to continuous improvement with moments of challenges and years of rewards.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits of working here have been safety mindset, customer focus (new), developmental programs, tuition re-imbursement, railroad retirement, community involvement, great health benefits and the opportunity to work in challenging jobs.

Cons

Most of the challenges come from a results driven culture, where diversity hasn't always been a priority. Change in leadership happens often. The business flows with the economy sometimes resulting in furloughs and layoffs. Union agreements govern a large majority of the work and sometimes limits options for increasing production. The work hours for our field jobs can be challenging for employees with families.

Thank you management for providing mechanisms for employees to share their experiences. More so thank you for listening and addressing the unethical behaviors and demanding professionalism and respect within the workplace. Senior leaders please continue to be visible and improve communications through transparency. Requiring people development and management training while continuing to insist on equal opportunity for all keeps me going. I know change is coming.

I couldn't imagine working anywhere else

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, great pay, great benefits, great atmosphere... great company that provides for this nation

Cons

Very fast-paced, ever changing environment

Many careers within one company

Current Employee - Talent Advisor  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Talent Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

CSX has a strong people focus culture, putting people first has allowed leadership to ensure our place as one of the best places to work in the industry; I've had several different types of positions (different careers if you will) while staying at one company; Working in Talent Acquisition allows me to ensure CSX is getting the best future employees available.

Cons

Our industry is 24x7 and there are times when that lifestyle can be difficult to maintain; While we don't have overtime compensation for management employees, we have a performance based bonus program that compensates for the long hours.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Training Instructor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Training Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging work, opportunity for advancement, growth and the variety of work

Cons

When newly hired you will work a lot of hours and when on the mainline running trains you will be gone from home a lot.

Work to develop your employees for the good of the company

Great people, great place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Director  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Director in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you are motivated by working with great people who all understand and are committed to a companies core values, you will love it here. CSX is a company that rewards its employees for hard work, innovation, and goes the extra mile to develop people.

Cons

This is not really a con, but if you are looking to hire on to a company and coast through your career, this is not the place for you.

Worked for CSX? Contribute to the Community!