CSX

CSX Reviews

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward
Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits for train and engine service (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours, low-ball pay and they DO NOT CARE about your family life and will tell you this to your face (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

4 years conductor

Current Employee - Conductor in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Conductor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CSX

Pros

Great Company!!!
    Great earning potential!!!
    Very challenging work!!!

Cons

Long long long hours.
    Lots of time away from home!

Great.

I have been working at CSX

Pros

Good location and facilities. They place a lot of emphasis on employee satisfaction.

Cons

None that I have so far.

Repairs freight cars

I have been working at CSX

Pros

Good pay, great company, good managers

Cons

laws, hours, work, lunch, training

Great Career to have

Former Employee - Inter-modal Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Inter-modal Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CSX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They teach everything that is required of you, nothing to difficult about training for a IS at all. Very easy

Cons

They lay off very easily, they always hire or train to many people and let the others go after 30 days

Great

Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity at this point in my life

Cons

Don't know any all is well

Keep up the good work

I was a Trainmaster for two years.

Former Employee - Trainmaster in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Trainmaster in Toledo, OH

I worked at CSX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits were outstanding. If someone had to work their entire career in the operations portion of CSX, the retirement package is good. They will teach you the basics of a job prior to sending you to the field. Continuity is not a popular word in my opinion because with knowledge comes power and too many people feel the need to hold that power in order to maintain validity.

Cons

The hours and days are ridiculous. The turnover for both internal and external managers is a testament to how bad lower management is treated. If CSX could keep managers and actually properly staff a location I think this would resolve the long hours issue.

Work on continuity of terminals. ANY officer should be able to walk into a terminal and within a couple of hours be able to manage a terminal based on continuity books and a Standard Operating Plan. Don't abuse lower management. You yourself was once us. Just because you were mismanaged by your superiors is no reason to reciprocate that tradition. Robots do not operate trains. Accidents and rules violations will happen. When they do it is not always a manager's fault. Stop targeting certain union employees just because you do not want them working at CSX any longer. You hired them now deal with it. Try to focus on keeping employees rather than just assuming you will get another batch after these quit. Stop over-hiring the union conductors then furloughing them and using that as a free labor pool in case business gets better. Try harder to allow managers to be closer to where they want to live.The benefits were outstanding. My family was well taken care of.

Tough company for train crews

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits for train and engine service

Cons

Supervisors in the field often have little to no experience in railroad operations. This creates a severe problem in convincing labor that the corporation is actually concerned in improving any process.

Try to speak directly to workers in the field rather that having information filtered by low level managers who's sole concern is preserving their own jobs.

It's the railroad

I have been working at CSX

Pros

Compensation, good people, working out doors...

Cons

Long hours, late nights but no complaints...

A good job until they stopped paying me.

Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Selkirk, NY
    Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Selkirk, NY

I worked at CSX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the change of places to work. I could be going down to jersey one day, out to boston the next. Every trip, train, engineer, day, and trainee is different. I like being a conductor. Its a good job, always a change of pace. Its a great way to make money. Benefits are awesome and good retirement.

Cons

While in the training program for Conductor and engineer we were told by upper level management (System Road Foreman) that there are pay problems.Trainees don't get paid for weeks at a time. Its a known problem in CSX. You can complete everything on your end of submitting your pay and making sure its correct and still your pay would be messed up. I was helping people to fix there pay, because the managers don't know how. And still I didn't get paid because my salary because of how horrible there system is. After not being paid for 3 weeks and complaining to management multiple times about the problem I finally quit CSX and found another job. I was there for 3 years.

Pay your engineer and conductor trainees. Then after you figure out how to pay them every week, the right amount, consistently gIve them a raise. Working a job where I was taking home 1000 a week, then get promoted and take home $400 a week (when they pay you) is just insane. I'm running your trains 6 days a week, spending 24 hours in a hotel and your paying me a take home salary at $12 an hour?!

Worst

I have been working at CSX as a contractor

Pros

Nice office, great view from the office

Cons

very bad management, politics involved