CSX

CSX Reviews

Updated February 28, 2015
Updated February 28, 2015
3.5

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward
Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits for train and engine service (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours, low-ball pay and they DO NOT CARE about your family life and will tell you this to your face (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

new employee

I have been working at CSX

Pros

great money and people steady work, big company good values they never want to see anyone get hurt quality training, ability to move thru out the company, can change locations thru the usa,

Cons

its a job, it does take you away from your family, find your niche and make the best of it

A great internship program.

I worked at CSX

Pros

Collaboration to solve specific problems to recommend actionable solutions. Really understand and learn the components of the business. Pretty competitive job interview process.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

More Money, More Problems

Former Employee - Trainmaster in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Trainmaster in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CSX

Pros

Great pay and benefits for new employees. Training is extensive as you spend several months shadowing other Trainmasters or taking exams in the Atlanta office.

Cons

The job can be really good or really bad depending on who you are paired to train under. Unfortunately I got one of the worst. Work-life balance was nonexistent. In the first few minutes after being placed in a terminal, I usually worked 12 nights on, 2 nights off, for about 13-17 hours a day. I was fresh out of college so I thought this was the norm based on the great pay in comparison to many of my college peers.

The high turnover, rampant obesity, and high rate of divorce with in your transportation department should be a clear sign that the culture is wrong. Moving employees to new city every year and hoping they'll be happy by throwing more money at them is an awful way of conducting business.

If money is the only reason you wake up in the morning.. this might be for you

Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at CSX full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits.. railroad retirement is second to none. This section has a minimum of twenty words.. and I don't have much else to say that's positive.. unless you really like trains, rain, and snow.

Cons

Zero quality of life. The schedule allows for no planning of social functions, or even doctors appointments. With a new attendance policy enacted (3/15), you are penalized for sick days.. even with valid documentation from your physician.

Freight Conductor

Current Employee - Freight Conductor
    Current Employee - Freight Conductor

I have been working at CSX full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to get trips and make money if you are okay with working conditions. Room to grow professionally if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

While many other jobs within CSX will have structured hours and time off. Freight conductor is not one of them. DO NOT expect to know when you will have time off. When it comes, expect using time to get much needed rest. Time between trips is spent resting catching up from last trip and getting ready for next. After mandatory 10 hour rest, wait for next call. Call could come immediately or a day later. Makes it very hard to plan day/sleep patterns to arrive for next trip bright eyed and bushy tailed. Safety stressed but many find it confusing when standards are broken by management to get job done but then enforced when convenient. Very poor Union vs Management environment.

Learn to value families and create a manageable schedule for those who transport your freight. Inequitable enforcement of standards makes upholding the standards confusing for the lower level worker. I will be moving to other employment at first opportunity.

busted

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at CSX

Pros

if transportation employee, decent pay and benefits

Cons

gone all the time. no home life

work better with the union

wish I had a life

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at CSX

Pros

decent pay, elementary type work

Cons

no life, no life, no life, no life, no friends, no family, and did I mention no life

put yourself in our shoes

I've been with CSX for 14 years and am a lifetimer. I love my job, my team, and my company

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long term stability, incentives, and benefits. Younger generation of employees have a lot of opportunity for growth in the next 5 - 7 years. Corporate culture is great with a strong E-team at the helm.

Cons

Depending on projects, work-life balance can be a challenge at times; nevertheless, you just have to take the good with the bad.

Great company but very long hours worked

I worked at CSX

Pros

Great pay great coworkers, a great safety first company

Cons

Lousy supervisors and overworked frequently , always getting mandatory stay

Lighten up on the constant , everyday, mandatory shift. Not everyone wants to stay an extra 4 to 8 hours after their shift is over

Met you at Black Enterprise Conference, would they be proud of you?

Former Employee - Transportation Division in Rocky Mount, NC
    Former Employee - Transportation Division in Rocky Mount, NC

I worked at CSX full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company offers a great medical benefits package. As for leadership, most races outside of the Caucasian race are afraid to be a part of the management program prior to gaining seniority in some other trade, because of the Company's mistrust and track record.

Cons

Females are totally ostracized, African American's are totally unwelcomed , male African Americans are tolerated and are very non-vocal in an effort to maintain their jobs. Many will not pursue training and those that have tell the stories of being passed over and over even though they've exceeded the training, education, and qualifications required.

Be honest, follow the rules as you write them. Follow-up on management issues, make sure they are in-fact doing what they should. Should gender or race matter as long as the job is complete to your satisfaction. Listen, not everyone is looking for a free way out! Most of us just want a fair way out! The office culture will soon catch up, and customers will soon listen and pay attention to what's truly happening. When you toot your horn with Black Enterprise, Computerworld 100 Best Places To Work 2014, Fortune, etc. tell them just how many women and African American's or even other races other than Caucasian (Males) you retain. The numbers are phenomenal.