CSX

www.csx.com

CSX Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward

Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • decent pay and benefits, some good people to work with(in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook(in 8 reviews)

• 12 hour days are not uncommon and you will most likely be on call 24 hrs per day(in 8 reviews)

csx

ProsWe encourage you to ask questions. This is a chance for you to find out more about us and for us to get to know you.

ConsInvolved in the strategy planning for the solutions for Pipeline planning, Seismic planning, fire mapping and utilities.

Money

Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Prosmoney is the root of this evil. you have to sacfrice you life for this company. you spend more time at work then at home. but the money is great. Good for singles w/o children

Constime and personal life is at minimum to none at all.

Extensive

Logistics Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

Prosgreat opportunity, great benefits, I cant imagine working for a different company. I am here for the long haul. very pleased.

Consnone, there is no such thing as a perfect world. I am willing to work hard and wait until opportunities to come. for now I am happy.

Advice to Senior Managementhard work and be patient

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My time there was decent despite setbacks.

Freight Conductor (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAlthough work environment can be very stressful and demanding with management, the job itself was relatively easy and the benefits were decent.

ConsPoor training, stressful work environment, management did not care about their workers and sometimes unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more emphasis on training to educate workers to alleviate safety violations and conditions. Have more involvement with workers.

Locomotive Engineers and Conductors have great pay but your family and personal life will suffer extensively.

Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsPay and healthcare plan is well above average. Railroad Retirement pension is very good as well if you can last that long. You have Union representation and you will need it!

ConsIn the Transportation Department, you will have many obstacles during your career. Some come with the job because of the 24/7 service requirements. Let's face it, about 2/3 of the U.S. economy travels by rail. Management will provide the rest of the problems. First, though pay is very good in the end, you will spend a great deal of time with payroll, labor relations and your union rep trying to get properly paid for your work. The carrier does not honor agreed work rules and accurate payroll is a constant struggle. Second, due to the management structure you are treated as the enemy not a team member by local and middle management. Almost all infractions carry suspension time from seven to thirty days. You are offered "job insurance" that will help you pay bills while you miss work after being disciplined. Only job I know of where this is needed. You arrive everyday wondering if you will have a job when you get off because when ANYTHING goes wrong, accountability ends with you. Management is almost never responsible for mistakes. The attitude is basically, "How can we put this on the transportation employee?" CSX has thousands of work rules that are engineered to be impossible to follow at a 100% level. This way local management can intimidate you to speed up to unsafe levels in order to meet their performance numbers and easily punish you when you fail or refuse to put their production requirements ahead of safety. The Union tries to fight this daily but the reality is that Railroad Unions have very little power or influence anymore. Third, your life will revolve around the railroad. You will work almost all holidays, nights, weekends, birthdays, etc., etc. Attendance policy is barbaric at best as absence is only excused by way of Urgent care facility or Hospital Emergency room. Literally! Almost everyone in this department has divorced at least once and the lack of schedule will eliminate any possibility of child custody. You will struggle to spend time with family and friends even if you are able to hold things together throughout your career. Your fellow employees will be your family and friends because they are the only ones who will understand.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement problems really come from the current structure rather than the people themselves. You cannot serve two masters so when management is required to govern production and safety equally, they are put in an almost impossible situation. You grease the wheel that squeaks and the safety wheel only squeaks after an incident while production squeaks at every conference call and throughout the day. Fix this problem, make labor relations bargain in good faith, eliminate payrolls "cut first" mentality, make Crew Management more service oriented and accountable and then the Transportation department and morale will go from one star to five for both labor and management.

Working for CSX

Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFelt like I was doing something important.

ConsOverly complex rules and regulations. Probably not unique to this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency as to company goals.

Great Company

Prosgreat pay, benefits ,and opportunites

ConsCareer growth opportunities seem to be all about timing

Hard to describe in one sentence experience at CSX

Project Manager (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsSome hardworking sharp people to work with including PMO who is thriving to instill good project management practices.

ConsFirefighting mode of operation. Politics heavily impact productivity and moral. Poor management support.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take a close look at the technology middle management conduct, ethics and competency level to mitigate deteriorating work environment. Politics is a predominant factor negatively impacting project outcomes and team productivity. Hiring and promotions practices are often based not on proficiency and performance but internal network connections.

Great career, Old school culture

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits and advancement opportunities. Good experience.

ConsOld school mentality of staff

Advice to Senior ManagementTell it like it is to new employees. Stop misleading new hires.

CSX is a good place to work and encourages internal advancement

Law Department (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsProfessional environment, bonuses, opportunities for advancement, work life balance

ConsLow salary, slow moving like a government agency

Worked for CSX? Contribute to the Community!