CSX

CSX Reviews

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward
Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits for train and engine service (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours, low-ball pay and they DO NOT CARE about your family life and will tell you this to your face (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Csx

Former Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at CSX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and the building has a gym and cafeteria

Cons

Lots of politics and a old boy network

Think about how you are treating your employees that are experts in their fields and educated. If you treat these people like hourly employees you don't get as much out of them.

CSX is excellent employer to work for

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation. Excellent leadership team

Cons

Limited health insurance coverage choices

GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR PROFESSIONALS, AVERAGE EMPLOYEES WILL NOT SURVIVE

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All compensation programs, including, basic pay, railroad retirement, bonus, 401K match. Smart connected coworkers, willing to help with anything, safety focused at every level, workload is extreme where you must be at your best every day, professional dress, Senior management are easy to talk with.

Cons

Mangers take EVERY LITTLE error and mistake and blow it out of proportion. They spend 99% of the feedback time on the 1 % of mistakes. They spend 1% of the feedback time on the 99% positives. Dont worry about what other supervisors think about your employee.

Stop focusing on the small mistakes that employees make, we are human, we make mistakes, just accept it. Focus more on the positive influence we have on our industry, co workers and community.

CSX provides a stable organization dedicated to continuous improvement with moments of challenges and years of rewards.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits of working here have been safety mindset, customer focus (new), developmental programs, tuition re-imbursement, railroad retirement, community involvement, great health benefits and the opportunity to work in challenging jobs.

Cons

Most of the challenges come from a results driven culture, where diversity hasn't always been a priority. Change in leadership happens often. The business flows with the economy sometimes resulting in furloughs and layoffs. Union agreements govern a large majority of the work and sometimes limits options for increasing production. The work hours for our field jobs can be challenging for employees with families.

Thank you management for providing mechanisms for employees to share their experiences. More so thank you for listening and addressing the unethical behaviors and demanding professionalism and respect within the workplace. Senior leaders please continue to be visible and improve communications through transparency. Requiring people development and management training while continuing to insist on equal opportunity for all keeps me going. I know change is coming.

I couldn't imagine working anywhere else

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great pay, great benefits, great atmosphere... great company that provides for this nation

Cons

Very fast-paced, ever changing environment

Many careers within one company

Current Employee - Talent Advisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Talent Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CSX has a strong people focus culture, putting people first has allowed leadership to ensure our place as one of the best places to work in the industry; I've had several different types of positions (different careers if you will) while staying at one company; Working in Talent Acquisition allows me to ensure CSX is getting the best future employees available.

Cons

Our industry is 24x7 and there are times when that lifestyle can be difficult to maintain; While we don't have overtime compensation for management employees, we have a performance based bonus program that compensates for the long hours.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Training Instructor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Training Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work, opportunity for advancement, growth and the variety of work

Cons

When newly hired you will work a lot of hours and when on the mainline running trains you will be gone from home a lot.

Work to develop your employees for the good of the company

Great people, great place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Director in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Director in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are motivated by working with great people who all understand and are committed to a companies core values, you will love it here. CSX is a company that rewards its employees for hard work, innovation, and goes the extra mile to develop people.

Cons

This is not really a con, but if you are looking to hire on to a company and coast through your career, this is not the place for you.

"How Tomorrow Moves" Your Career

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CSX has many opportunities for all areas in business as well as in craft trades. There are several companies under the CSX Corporate umbrella. CSX provides excellent training and support to further your knowledge base and prepare you for future responsibilities and compensation. The culture is excellent for anyone wanting to advance in their careers. Excellent benefits and reward/recognition programs as well as advancement opportunities. Salaries are very competitive with other similar industries. The five core values of the company are taken seriously and our reputation is impeccable. The executive team provides innovative leadership. Communications are timely and transparent. You control your future by participating in training and desire to do a good job. CSX, a great place to work and grow.

Cons

Cons are very few. As with any large corporation, there is a bureaucracy. This is softened by the quick response to needs by the differing departments.

Keep up the good work. Due to your leadership, we are a respected company in the communities that we service. The TV commercials generate interest in the rail industry. Mr. Ward, love the weekly voice-mail updates.

Tremendous team and unlimited opportunities.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for another Fortune 500 company for 12 years prior to working at CSX. My best day there is my worst day at CSX. CSX takes stock in their employees empowering them to work towards any professional goal they might aspire to reach.

Cons

Nothing significant to mention here.

I am very pleased with the opportunities presented to me for personal/professional growth.