CSX Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.7

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward
Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • decent pay and benefits, some good people to work with (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook (in 10 reviews)

• no family life, and they screwed the workers out of wages for health care (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I couldn't imagine working anywhere else

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great pay, great benefits, great atmosphere... great company that provides for this nation

Cons

Very fast-paced, ever changing environment

Many careers within one company

Current Employee - Talent Advisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Talent Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CSX has a strong people focus culture, putting people first has allowed leadership to ensure our place as one of the best places to work in the industry; I've had several different types of positions (different careers if you will) while staying at one company; Working in Talent Acquisition allows me to ensure CSX is getting the best future employees available.

Cons

Our industry is 24x7 and there are times when that lifestyle can be difficult to maintain; While we don't have overtime compensation for management employees, we have a performance based bonus program that compensates for the long hours.

Very good

Current Employee - Track Maintenance in Fostoria, OH
    Current Employee - Track Maintenance in Fostoria, OH

I have been working at CSX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay. Never asked to take on a task without being trained and equipped to accomplish it.

Cons

Union. Pay is exceptional but virtually no chance for advancement after 3-5 years.

Higher management is heading in the right direction but needs to be more sensitive to feed back from the lower levels.

Operations research intern

Current Employee - Operations Research in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Research in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Big team, many co-workers to work with.

Cons

Manger is not good, pay is extremely low, about $25 per hour, too low in FL.

Raise the pay, respect the employees.

Very good Jobs

I have been working at CSX full-time

Pros

potential to move up fast.

Cons

long hrs, away from home.

Right results WRONG WAY!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits, nice health and wellness facilities, promotes higher education, stable company if your looking to retire.

Cons

Very political and unethical. HR are the worst! They enforce policies to other departments but when one of their own violates a policy they sweep it under the rug. No place for minorities if you are seeking for a leadership position. promotions and hiring practices are based on favortism over experience and education. Very inconsistent with their policies. Bad management with a good old boy system mentality.

Do the right thing. Follow the core values and code of ethics you put in place for everyone.

Its about who you know

Current Employee - Human Resource Analytics in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resource Analytics in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There's plenty of jobs to apply for. Work-life balance is good for the office type jobs. Comp and benefits are good.

Cons

Not so much diversity in the workplace. Its a glass ceiling for minority women regarding promotions. The promotions are based on who you know, if they like you, and whether you fit the corporate color. They encourage you to speak up but concerns or issues but be prepare see that your career is at a halt. Bad behaviors are rewarded. Inconsistent performance management. I've been in both union and management positions. If it was up to me, I rather work in a union position that makes more money than managers and less of the bureaucracy.

Be fair and consistent.

Joining pay is less compared with other companies but will work out good after staying for more than 5 years.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment. Year end bonus, Flexible timings those who work in Technology and long term retirement benefits.

Cons

The pay depends on what field or technology you are working. Initial joining pay will be less compared with other companies. It increases 2 to 3 percent every year. The company offers good bonus every year but again it depends on company profits and individual performance. Do not depend on bonus. Also there is a TCU agency fee that some employees needs to pay monthly and it depends on percentage of salary. That will come around 70 to 100 dollars per month after tax money. Company does not offer promotions automatically depending on work experience. Need to look for job postings and apply.

If there are any job postings available, inform internal employees first before posting to public. If any individual employee from CSX does not fit for that position make that job posting public.

Solid corporation with good benefits

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extensive and above average benefits package
    Excellent earnings potential

Cons

It is a 24/7-365 job, no such thing as holidays/holiday pay on the road
    Be prepared to sacrifice everything you know in your personal/home life as you are now married to the rails.
    Management is typically made up of fresh recruits from college or other businesses with no rail experience

Hire and promote from within the ranks so as to gain employees and managers with a working knowledge of the industry.

Trainmaster

Current Employee - Trainmaster in Great Lakes, IL
    Current Employee - Trainmaster in Great Lakes, IL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It helped me get my next job. That is really it

Cons

Leadership is a neanderthal approach. You are expected to be unethical to achieve "the numbers" if that's what it takes. Be prepared to be thrown under the bus early and often. Little known secret: You manager does not have to allow you the benefits promised from HR during orientation. You cannot move within the company without your manager "releasing" you - regardless of what HR desires. Long hours, low-ball pay and they DO NOT CARE about your family life and will tell you this to your face. Avoid Avoid Avoid.

Take two weeks off then quit