CSX

CSX Reviews

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
3.7

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward
Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits for train and engine service (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours, low-ball pay and they DO NOT CARE about your family life and will tell you this to your face (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

In a lot of ways this is the best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Car Inspector in Avon, IN
    Current Employee - Car Inspector in Avon, IN

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I like that we are environmentally friendly and have a pretty stable job. There are some lay offs but no where near as bad as I have seen other industries.

Cons

There is too much nepotism.

If you want to get a handle on waste quit making and implementing knee jerk reactions when something bad happens. A new plan does not have to be implemented just to appease a manager who is too skittish about a situation.

Get your lobbyist to push for more lax blue flag rules. Ie let mechanical employees use 3 step in lieu of blue flag protection.

Locomotive Engineer Birmingham AL.

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and Pay are about it. It's an easy job that is not physically demanding. Union craft position.

Cons

You're not paid for what you do nor how well you do it, you're paid for the inconvenience of being "On Call". Until you've about 10-15 years under your belt, don't expect any regularity in your work schedule. As a side note if you have a family, and don't have to make $100k per year stay away cause it's not worth it. Union Craft Position

Stop hiring transportation management off the street! They have "0" knowledge of how the RR works except for what they are taught at the REDI and in Jacksonville. It is preposterous to take the stance that an man or woman fresh out of college can more adequately manage a craft with no prior experience there of. Utilize the knowledge and experience of the work force you have hat wish to move up and mold them into management. Not, the EDP cause that's a joke which still requires a Bachelors or better. Ever tried to work 24/7 and go to school and get a degree, impossible.

Short Term

Former Employee - Intern in Brunswick, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Brunswick, MD

I worked at CSX as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good benes, nice people, good perks

Cons

long, exhausting work, long hours, hard work.

More face time with your employees.

Extensive

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great opportunity, great benefits, I cant imagine working for a different company. I am here for the long haul. very pleased.

Cons

none, there is no such thing as a perfect world. I am willing to work hard and wait until opportunities to come. for now I am happy.

hard work and be patient

csx

I have been working at CSX as a contractor

Pros

We encourage you to ask questions. This is a chance for you to find out more about us and for us to get to know you.

Cons

Involved in the strategy planning for the solutions for Pipeline planning, Seismic planning, fire mapping and utilities.

Love the work and the people, but the hours are rough.

I worked at CSX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Good leadership. Potential to move up within the company. Awesome benefits and salary.

Cons

Only down side to the job was the schedule. They warn you going in, but it was rough for young family life.

Money

Former Employee - Crew Dispatcher in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Dispatcher in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at CSX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

money is the root of this evil. you have to sacfrice you life for this company. you spend more time at work then at home. but the money is great. Good for singles w/o children

Cons

time and personal life is at minimum to none at all.

My time there was decent despite setbacks.

Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CSX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Although work environment can be very stressful and demanding with management, the job itself was relatively easy and the benefits were decent.

Cons

Poor training, stressful work environment, management did not care about their workers and sometimes unrealistic expectations.

Put more emphasis on training to educate workers to alleviate safety violations and conditions. Have more involvement with workers.

Locomotive Engineers and Conductors have great pay but your family and personal life will suffer extensively.

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and healthcare plan is well above average. Railroad Retirement pension is very good as well if you can last that long. You have Union representation and you will need it!

Cons

In the Transportation Department, you will have many obstacles during your career. Some come with the job because of the 24/7 service requirements. Let's face it, about 2/3 of the U.S. economy travels by rail. Management will provide the rest of the problems. First, though pay is very good in the end, you will spend a great deal of time with payroll, labor relations and your union rep trying to get properly paid for your work. The carrier does not honor agreed work rules and accurate payroll is a constant struggle. Second, due to the management structure you are treated as the enemy not a team member by local and middle management. Almost all infractions carry suspension time from seven to thirty days. You are offered "job insurance" that will help you pay bills while you miss work after being disciplined. Only job I know of where this is needed. You arrive everyday wondering if you will have a job when you get off because when ANYTHING goes wrong, accountability ends with you. Management is almost never responsible for mistakes. The attitude is basically, "How can we put this on the transportation employee?" CSX has thousands of work rules that are engineered to be impossible to follow at a 100% level. This way local management can intimidate you to speed up to unsafe levels in order to meet their performance numbers and easily punish you when you fail or refuse to put their production requirements ahead of safety. The Union tries to fight this daily but the reality is that Railroad Unions have very little power or influence anymore. Third, your life will revolve around the railroad. You will work almost all holidays, nights, weekends, birthdays, etc., etc. Attendance policy is barbaric at best as absence is only excused by way of Urgent care facility or Hospital Emergency room. Literally! Almost everyone in this department has divorced at least once and the lack of schedule will eliminate any possibility of child custody. You will struggle to spend time with family and friends even if you are able to hold things together throughout your career. Your fellow employees will be your family and friends because they are the only ones who will understand.

Management problems really come from the current structure rather than the people themselves. You cannot serve two masters so when management is required to govern production and safety equally, they are put in an almost impossible situation. You grease the wheel that squeaks and the safety wheel only squeaks after an incident while production squeaks at every conference call and throughout the day. Fix this problem, make labor relations bargain in good faith, eliminate payrolls "cut first" mentality, make Crew Management more service oriented and accountable and then the Transportation department and morale will go from one star to five for both labor and management.

Working for CSX

Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at CSX full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Felt like I was doing something important.

Cons

Overly complex rules and regulations. Probably not unique to this company.

More transparency as to company goals.