CSX

CSX Reviews

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
3.7

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward
Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits for train and engine service (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours, low-ball pay and they DO NOT CARE about your family life and will tell you this to your face (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Tremendous team and unlimited opportunities.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for another Fortune 500 company for 12 years prior to working at CSX. My best day there is my worst day at CSX. CSX takes stock in their employees empowering them to work towards any professional goal they might aspire to reach.

Cons

Nothing significant to mention here.

I am very pleased with the opportunities presented to me for personal/professional growth.

CSX is a great company to work for. It is definitely "How Tomorrow Moves". I absolutely love working for CSX.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CSX is like a family. We care about each other. The work is interesting and challenging. It is relatively easy to balance the work life with family life. The benefit, salary and bonus are awesome!!!

Cons

Headquarters in in a city that is riddled with crime, minimal cultural events - not an exciting place to live. The commute into downtown is not appealing. The company's stance on safety was not reflected in location selection.

Substantial training should be provided to new managers. It does not appear that managers are trained at all. Some of the recently promoted managers are making mistakes that can have an adverse impact on the company's branding.

CSX is a good place for a long-term career

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is good, as are benefits. Growth opportunities are provided, and can enable a person to work in multiple different departments during a career with the company. Employees are encouraged to develop themselves, both technically and as regards management ability. Bonus program has paid well the last few years, even in a down economy.

Cons

Corporate culture is always a challenge, navigating the politics. Overtime is expected to be worked without compensation, though some managers make efforts to provide balancing time off for their people. There is no clear promotion path for many positions, and this encourages employees to move and take new a new job in a different department in order to advance. Bonus distribution is not as objective as I would like, and requires immediate management to negotiate the money for their direct reports.

Don't forget the little people who keep things operating. Everyday tasks are just as important as the big visible projects, and deserve recognition. Projects which lay foundations of software and data, but without immediate ROI, are sometimes necessary to accomplish, in order to enable development of other projects that do have large ROI.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Human Resources in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pride amongst CSX employees is incredible. Anywhere I go in the community, people come up to me asking how I got on at CSX and how they would love to work for us. I am proud to work for such a great company where the benefits are excellent and the people are wonderful to work with. The career opportunities are also very robust - you truly can work here forever.

Cons

Given the rich history of the railroad, we still opportunity for employees who are in the various unions to feel connected to the employees in Corporate Headquarters in Jacksonville. CSX Executives are making great strides, though, and the divide gets smaller everyday.

We love seeing you! Please keep walking around and attending community events with us.

Very good

Current Employee - Track Maintenance in Fostoria, OH
    Current Employee - Track Maintenance in Fostoria, OH

I have been working at CSX full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Never asked to take on a task without being trained and equipped to accomplish it.

Cons

Union. Pay is exceptional but virtually no chance for advancement after 3-5 years.

Higher management is heading in the right direction but needs to be more sensitive to feed back from the lower levels.

Operations research intern

Current Employee - Operations Research in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Research in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Big team, many co-workers to work with.

Cons

Manger is not good, pay is extremely low, about $25 per hour, too low in FL.

Raise the pay, respect the employees.

Very good Jobs

I have been working at CSX full-time

Pros

potential to move up fast.

Cons

long hrs, away from home.

A company that is growing and is positioned well to benefit as the economy improves

Current Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has lot of good people with years of experience. There are lots of potential opportunities available for career, benefits are really good at least on par with top organizations.

Cons

Slow to make or adapt to change. Since the industry is partially immune it may be a good reason but talent won't stay for long

Right results WRONG WAY!

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits, nice health and wellness facilities, promotes higher education, stable company if your looking to retire.

Cons

Very political and unethical. HR are the worst! They enforce policies to other departments but when one of their own violates a policy they sweep it under the rug. No place for minorities if you are seeking for a leadership position. promotions and hiring practices are based on favortism over experience and education. Very inconsistent with their policies. Bad management with a good old boy system mentality.

Do the right thing. Follow the core values and code of ethics you put in place for everyone.

Its about who you know

Current Employee - Human Resource Analytics in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resource Analytics in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There's plenty of jobs to apply for. Work-life balance is good for the office type jobs. Comp and benefits are good.

Cons

Not so much diversity in the workplace. Its a glass ceiling for minority women regarding promotions. The promotions are based on who you know, if they like you, and whether you fit the corporate color. They encourage you to speak up but concerns or issues but be prepare see that your career is at a halt. Bad behaviors are rewarded. Inconsistent performance management. I've been in both union and management positions. If it was up to me, I rather work in a union position that makes more money than managers and less of the bureaucracy.

Be fair and consistent.