CSX Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
3.5

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward
Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • decent pay and benefits, some good people to work with (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook (in 8 reviews)

• 12 hour days are not uncommon and you will most likely be on call 24 hrs per day (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It like going to pre-school.

Current Employee - Road Electricain  in  Selkirk, NY
    Current Employee - Road Electricain in Selkirk, NY

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good wages and benefits, benefits we now pay for.

Cons

no family life, and they screwed the workers out of wages for health care

most people are not as stupid as you are.

CSX could do better.

Former Employee - Railroad Conductor  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Nashville, TN

I worked at CSX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The paycheck and the benefits. There is never a boring day at the railroad.

Cons

The work/life balance. The harassment and being micro managed by management.

Stop treating employees like children especially the veterans who come to work for CSX. They have 0 tolerance for micro management. If you have no faith in your employees then don't expect them to care about you or the company. The guys and girls on the ground are what makes CSX go. Granted there are some people who come to work but do as little work as possible but that is not the majority. The majority would like to be able to come to work, do a job for a decent paycheck without having to worry about being fired.

Wonderful

Former Employee - Enterprise Services Intern  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Enterprise Services Intern in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at CSX as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people, understanding managers. Lot of extracurricular activities to get to know the people and company. Senior management is very approachable. Pay is good as well.

Cons

not that I can think of.

none.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Forget having a life

Current Employee - Freight Conductor  in  Selkirk, NY
    Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Selkirk, NY

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is ok and work is pretty easy. Benefits are ok but you gotta pay for them all.

Cons

On call 24/7, and they will call 24/7!!! Mostly for jobs that your not even qualified to be on. You will have no life, one day off a week. A week day usually. Even if you get to the point you get good seniority as a conductor they will force you to be an engineer and lose it all starting from the bottom again. If you take a day off, they will threaten you with termination. Only way to take time off is FMLA or calling in sick. Company ignores union agreements, denies pay and claims due to you. You pay Union dues to a union that doesn't do anything for you. They will leave you in a hotel for 24 hours or more. You could be gone from home for days just to get called back as soon as you wake up and do it all over again. They force safety down your throat but on a daily basis managers tell you to violate the rules and FRA regulations. Any time anything goes wrong the company hangs you. Even when THEY tell you to do something against the rules they still find a way to blame it all on you.

Let people mark off once and a while to live there lives and spend time with there families. Start paying us our claims and stop taking money out of our pockets. Follow the rules you made and don't force us to violate FRA regulations.

Conductor

Former Employee - Conductor
    Former Employee - Conductor

I worked at CSX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Deffinatley one of the top paying jobs without a college degree. The health insurance is great. Only state employees have better health benefits around where I live. Railroad retirement is probly the best retirement plan out there and the retirement age is age 60. Easy to move around to different locations. Company is closed shop union so where you can work is based on seniorty but this can also work against you if you're new. It can be easy to get overtime here. If you want to work constantly and make money this place might be for you. Better for someone who is in their 20's, single, and has no kids. This place has a 30 year retirement so get in before you are 30 so you can collect the maximum amount of retirement at age 60.

Cons

The attendance policy is overly strict. If you take any non paid time off including sick for more than 24 hours you get written up unless you have a doctor's note. The managment is always trying to write you up or threaten you so they can hold things over your head. As a new employee you will not be able to hold a job with a regular work schedule and you will have to work on call and be available 6 days a week including all holidays. They ship freight 24 hours a day 365 days a year. You will not have a regular sleep patern because of this and it will take years to hold a regular job. You only get 3 personal days as a new hire and 2 weeks vacation. One week must be taken in a block. It is very difficult to make plans around this type of lifestyle. You are subject to random drug and breathalyzer tests so there is no drinking when you are on call for work.

Stop trying constantly trying to write people up and put them out of service. We're the ones who physically move the freight and when we have to put up with trainmasters and road foreman who constantly write us up we do our best to make sure the train never makes it to it's destination or customers never get their cars which ends up costing you guys in the end. Also need to have labor relations stop declining all penalty claims; even the legitimate open and shut cases. If you constantly screw with people, no one will do favors for you when you really need it. Stop promoting a negative hostile work enviornement in the transportation department. It is nerve wrecking and greatly affects my ability to perform my job safely when I have company officers harassing me. Instead of trying to intimidate people management should spend their time looking for new ways to expand the business and grow the company. Stop trying to run off our local customers. There are tons of businesses in the area I work that used to have sidings off of our main line. By closing yards and eliminating jobs your are shrinking the business, not growing it. Get some people who have some railroad experience instead of these clueless people right out of college. Use the same tyoe of timetables and rulebooks in a binder that Amtrak and Metro North have so when there is a new system or general bulletin issued, you can replace the pages istead of having to print and carry around hundreds of pieces of paper.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Intern  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are a great company to work for!

Cons

No cons, they are awsome

Telecommunications and elcectronics field technician

I worked at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and retirement for anyone who sticks it out for 30 years. Railroads promote from within at least to the middle level management positions. The work is never boring and requires a broad knowledge of data and telecommunications protocols. Field technicians cover large geographical territories and work with very little supervision.

Cons

In recent years using gps tracking there has been a tendency to micro manage the field forces.

Field technicians are required by the logistics of their positions to be independent and to work without close supervision. Given proper encouragement and access to training and materials necessary for their work they tend to perform best when managed least.

Worst Company Ever

Former Employee - Train Conductor  in  Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Train Conductor in Charleston, WV

I worked at CSX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co workers, insurance was ok

Cons

Harassment by management, On Call 24/7, Low pay for being on call and forced to work at different terminals

Stop harassment. The majority of managers are hired off the streets and have no idea how to railroad.

company has too much red tape and too political

I worked at CSX

Pros

Great company to work for if you are good at fitting into clicks

Cons

Independent thinkers may find it difficult to work in this culture. Racial inequalities are still major factors.

Been working there about 12 years

Current Employee - Financial Services  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Services in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pretty good pay, retirement pension, good medical benefits, tuiton reimbursement

Cons

Difficult to advance without clique membership, very inflexible system of rules, not much consideration given to a good work history

Express some positive recognition toward employees, empower employees, need better engagement with employees

Worked for CSX? Contribute to the Community!