CSX Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014

3.4

CSX Chairman, President, and CEO; President and CEO, CSX Transportation Michael J. Ward
Michael J. Ward

Pros
  • decent pay and benefits, some good people to work with (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, great bonus (when we earn it - most years), decent benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Also on call 24/7 and the phone rings off the hook (in 8 reviews)

• 12 hour days are not uncommon and you will most likely be on call 24 hrs per day (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Conductor

Former Employee - Conductor
    Former Employee - Conductor

I worked at CSX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Deffinatley one of the top paying jobs without a college degree. The health insurance is great. Only state employees have better health benefits around where I live. Railroad retirement is probly the best retirement plan out there and the retirement age is age 60. Easy to move around to different locations. Company is closed shop union so where you can work is based on seniorty but this can also work against you if you're new. It can be easy to get overtime here. If you want to work constantly and make money this place might be for you. Better for someone who is in their 20's, single, and has no kids. This place has a 30 year retirement so get in before you are 30 so you can collect the maximum amount of retirement at age 60.

Cons

The attendance policy is overly strict. If you take any non paid time off including sick for more than 24 hours you get written up unless you have a doctor's note. The managment is always trying to write you up or threaten you so they can hold things over your head. As a new employee you will not be able to hold a job with a regular work schedule and you will have to work on call and be available 6 days a week including all holidays. They ship freight 24 hours a day 365 days a year. You will not have a regular sleep patern because of this and it will take years to hold a regular job. You only get 3 personal days as a new hire and 2 weeks vacation. One week must be taken in a block. It is very difficult to make plans around this type of lifestyle. You are subject to random drug and breathalyzer tests so there is no drinking when you are on call for work.

Stop trying constantly trying to write people up and put them out of service. We're the ones who physically move the freight and when we have to put up with trainmasters and road foreman who constantly write us up we do our best to make sure the train never makes it to it's destination or customers never get their cars which ends up costing you guys in the end. Also need to have labor relations stop declining all penalty claims; even the legitimate open and shut cases. If you constantly screw with people, no one will do favors for you when you really need it. Stop promoting a negative hostile work enviornement in the transportation department. It is nerve wrecking and greatly affects my ability to perform my job safely when I have company officers harassing me. Instead of trying to intimidate people management should spend their time looking for new ways to expand the business and grow the company. Stop trying to run off our local customers. There are tons of businesses in the area I work that used to have sidings off of our main line. By closing yards and eliminating jobs your are shrinking the business, not growing it. Get some people who have some railroad experience instead of these clueless people right out of college. Use the same tyoe of timetables and rulebooks in a binder that Amtrak and Metro North have so when there is a new system or general bulletin issued, you can replace the pages istead of having to print and carry around hundreds of pieces of paper.

Telecommunications and elcectronics field technician

I worked at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and retirement for anyone who sticks it out for 30 years. Railroads promote from within at least to the middle level management positions. The work is never boring and requires a broad knowledge of data and telecommunications protocols. Field technicians cover large geographical territories and work with very little supervision.

Cons

In recent years using gps tracking there has been a tendency to micro manage the field forces.

Field technicians are required by the logistics of their positions to be independent and to work without close supervision. Given proper encouragement and access to training and materials necessary for their work they tend to perform best when managed least.

long hours good pay

Former Employee - Freight Conductor  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Freight Conductor in Richmond, VA

I worked at CSX full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is good and the benifits are above average.

Cons

Watch your back. They are very strict about 100% compliance to the rules.

live by the same rules you expect your employees to live by.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good experience

I have been working at CSX

Pros

team oriented and good work life balance

Cons

sometimes slow and very bureacratic

Worst Company Ever

Former Employee - Train Conductor  in  Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Train Conductor in Charleston, WV

I worked at CSX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co workers, insurance was ok

Cons

Harassment by management, On Call 24/7, Low pay for being on call and forced to work at different terminals

Stop harassment. The majority of managers are hired off the streets and have no idea how to railroad.

Been working there about 12 years

Current Employee - Financial Services  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Services in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pretty good pay, retirement pension, good medical benefits, tuiton reimbursement

Cons

Difficult to advance without clique membership, very inflexible system of rules, not much consideration given to a good work history

Express some positive recognition toward employees, empower employees, need better engagement with employees

Beware of Cindy Sanborn

Current Employee - Trainmaster  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Trainmaster in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

No work/life balance for managers. If you don't write up enough T&E employees you are putting your job on the line. You only get promoted if you will move at the drop of a hat AND are in a certain click.

Biggest Con of all: Cindy Sanborn, Cindy Sanborn, Cindy Sanborn

Get a Chief Transportation officer that can relate to their employees.

Great company to work with. Learned to generate ideas.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good work environment and culture

Cons

Not so satisfactory pay and less office locations

Please hire international Masters' students

Living the Dream

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get paid good money without a college degree.
    Good coworkers. Co-workers have a family type bond.
    You can start from the ground and move up in the company.
    Benefits are good.

Cons

The pay is good, but you're selling your social life for an easy buck.
    Co-workers become like family because you spend more time with coworkers than your family.
    If you have a college degree and no nothing about the railroad you can move up and be a boss. This is a pro and con depending on your point of view. While people that have years of railroad knowledge and experience get left behind because of the BS charges on their work history or they don't know the right people.
    Benefits are good, but it's not cheap working for the railroad. Benefits, union dues, run off insurance adds up.

A common phrase I hear at work is...This would be a cool job if it wasn't for management.

Overworked and Underpaid

I have been working at CSX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on if you fit in with the culture, you can skyrocket quickly.

Cons

If for any reason you are not in lock-step with the culture, don't expect career progression. If you work in Finance, expect to be overworked by your boss and "business partners" while underpaid and insulted constantly, and watch the golden employees get promoted quickly.

Doing a good job getting in tune with rank-and-file employees, but get in touch with your lower level management employees or expect an exodus.

Worked for CSX? Contribute to the Community!