CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC
www.ctb.com Monterey, CA 500 to 999 Employees

CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC – New York – “Office View”

Ellen Haley

Other temporary work pays better, but job does take intelligence

Scoring Evaluator (Former Employee)

I worked at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people to work with, for the most part
Interesting and engaging work
7 1/2 hour work day for full-time; many projects are part-time (5 hour days)

ConsTemporary and seasonal only; CTB/McGraw-Hill contracts through Kelly Services and DeployIt.
Pay has been 10.00 per hour for seven years - this is a reduction from the 12.00 per hour I received in 2005

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to retain your best scorers, you may want to provide more opportunities as well as better compensation.

Did excellent job, management sabotaged most of us from beginning.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC

ProsLoved the work. Interesting work with the schools and how children are taught.

ConsManagement has you doing several other projects while trying to complete your own work. A member of management will choose someone who does excellent work to do his/her job. An example is management will have another supervisor pull all her papers for scoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange. They got rid of good people and kept the "bad." All politics.

Assessment Editor

Assessment Editor (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC as a contractor for less than a year

ProsJob variety, positive work culture, flexible hours, great pay

ConsJob instability, contract job with no assurance of being hired permanently.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication about future employment and job stability.

The white collar outer circle of hell

Director (Former Employee)
Monterey, CA

I worked at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsChallenging work, with a built-in mandated set of customers that need your product. Robust established mainframe infrastructure for providing that product, and an on-call group of on-demand slaves (Kelly workers) to do your bidding. Good food in the cafeteria. Nice location.

ConsCompletely incompetent posturing hack layer of middle managers. Practically every middle manager there has 25-30 years in with the company, but it's one year experience 25 or 30 times over. A slavish devotion to "rules", and all of them are just marking time until retirement. They are absolutely unemployable elsewhere, and since they're too old to join the Army and live off the Government, or can't get on shuffling papers at the DMV, CTB is about it.

There is a reason this company ex-division of McGraw-Hill has bled money since 2005. At that time they were almost 1000 people and the industry leader, and now they are approaching less than 300, and losing $ every quarter. Upper management is too obtuse or uncaring to realize that their usually good initiatives to improve service and performance are met with lip-service by the core layer of middle-management hacks, who then quietly go about sabotaging things.

Their favorite two phrases are: 1) "We don't do it that way here.", and 2) "That's never been tried before."

Virtually all of the competent managers had been fired or quit, or were micro-managed to death, leaving only the posturing incompetents in charge, a couple of which don't even have actual High School diplomas, by the way, just GED's.

McGraw-Hill Corporate in NY saw the handwriting on the wall a couple of years ago, and divested themselves of the CTB turkey. If you want to be a wage slave in the epitome of a corporate drudgery environment, drinking crappy coffee and begging for supplies, while being micro-managed to death by hacks, then go for it. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and get a job handing out towels in a house of ill-repute, or digging ditches.

Either would be preferable to putting up with people who don't care about their employees, don't care about the success of their company, and most importantly, DON'T care about their State Department of Education customers, or the children in those states that must take their tests.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to "upper" management: fire every middle manager hack you have there with more than 25 years, and get yourself some people who care about employees and most importantly, care about the customers. Don't worry, they'll get jobs right away; there are car washes everywhere.

great support

I have been working at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC

Prosthe work is very flexible

Consthe work can be overwhelming sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementnone

A very professional yet challenging environment. A great introduction into corporate America.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC full-time

ProsWorkplace flexibility, some upward mobility. Supports professional development.

ConsVery bureaucratic processes make adapting to the market very challenging.

A sad miss

Scorer (Former Employee)

I worked at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI was impressed with now much care scorers gave the children whose work was being scored

ConsThat care above mentioned was wasted given how rubrics are created and ignore so much of what many of the children write. It was also disheartening to see how much our children really need help from what I read in their essays especially knowing that how scores are devised, they won't get that help.

CTB shortchanges itself and employers just as much. Simple, inexpensive things that would help moral and productivity aren't done simply because they are so cheap to their employees. Just supplying coffee, real coffee at no charge rather than ersatz coffee at ridiculous prices would go far to relieve tedium of repetitive work. Keeping the room from overheating too would help productivity tremendously.

This work is contracted by the project. Scorers are hired weeks in advance only to be told when they show up they will only work for part of that day or week. At only $10/hr, this kind of insecurity makes just affording the gas to get to work the next week a sacrifice. (I put it in the text because the chart up front hides the salary to "protect" whether it protects callous practices of the employer or employee weakened by those practices is not clear) very one I knew was on food stamps, grateful to have any work at all but it is not way to live. Someone above mentioned the dirty disgusting people. They aren't but many do wear worn and frayed clothes from church barrels because they can't afford better. No healthcare to speak of. This kind of employment is making poverty of having earned the college degree it took just to qualify for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat does this sort of employment of educated people say to the children who are supposedly the benefactors of your product. That a college education may do little for them is not lost on them. Its shocking to read a child's words who literally say how much they know it's a sham.

Great place to work if you like being a white collar slave.

Test Evaluator (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsWeekly paycheck, diverse workforce, interesting work assignments, The workforce is highly educated,: many scorers have at least a bachelors degree, many have masters and doctorates.

ConsNo transparency about true length of projects. Every man for himself atmosphere. The location facility is old and needs remodeling. White collar atmosphere. The workforce morale is very low; people; workers are afraid to ask questions or raise questions about even minor things for fear reprisals. Too many people at middle management level. Pay is very low for such an educated workforce.educated. A lot of the worker have poor social or interpersonal skills and supervisors and team leaders don't know how to conduct themselves in a professional manner. I've seen better business etiquette from people in service industry jobs like retail, food service and travel. hospitality

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some transparency about true length of assignments and about assigning evaluators to other areas within same project. Also, offer bonuses to evaluators just like team leaders and supervisors receive when projects are completed early or time because these projects wouldn't get done without the evaluators. Remodel the building or move to a new location where the amenities are better; where the plumbing works, there isn't mold and allergens in the air that cause employees to have respiratory problems.

A structured experience with job security as long as you qualify for each round of testing.

Test Evaluator (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC full-time for less than a year

ProsAttire is business casual, but it also means casual, like jeans, sneakers, sandals, t-shirts. Don't have to answer any phones or talk to any customers. Very repetitive work if you like structure, and the expectations are clear. They are always in need of people to work their projects. Occasional overtime. Team leaders are very helpful in answering questions and making sure their evaluators know everything they need to know before qualifying. This could be a bad thing, but when team leaders state a production goal, it helps me become more productive knowing how many tests I need to score per hour. Good opportunity for someone with at least a Bachelor's degree looking for part time or short term work. They offer shifts from 8:30-4:30p or 6:30-10:30p so it definitely could serve as a second job to some folks.

ConsA 37.5 hour workweek, very repetitive work; what I mean by repetitive is doing the same thing every minute of every hour of every day. You will be scoring one question from a test booklet and have to focus on that question only, so it can get mentally draining and boring. Another negative is that if you do not pass the qualifying rounds then you may be out of a job. Qualifying rounds are initiated before you are allowed to score anything, and you study the rubric on your own, then answer a series of questions. You have 2 chances to pass and must make at least a 80%, 90% or 100% in some cases. If you don't pass, they may assign you to another qualifying round for a different question, or you just may be no use to them. Also, some of the rubrics could be more specific and easier to understand, it's frustrating sometimes because you pretty much have to teach yourself the rubric before qualifying. Everyone makes the same rate- $11.05 an hour. You can never advance as a Test Evaluator. Everyone has the same responsibility and makes the same rate per hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeclare production goals more often to keep people motivated and productive. Make the rubrics easier to understand so evaluators have a better understanding of how to score accurately.

Unpleasant management of short term, high pressure national test evaluation teams

Test Evaluator (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC part-time for more than a year

ProsA good opportunity to earn a little money for 4-6 weeks while otherwise unemployed.
Clean environment, well-organized systems to manage the flow of hundreds of people in an out of work stations throughout the day.

ConsThe short-term nature of the jobs, and the brief breaks allotted during the workday allow for little human interaction. Everyone sits behind computers in rows of tables that fill an enormous warehouse-size room, so individuals are mostly isolated and the environment is impersonal.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. The system is an efficiency machine aimed to complete as many tests as possible in as little time as possible, minimizing manpower.

Worked for CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC CEO Ellen Haley. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC employees.