CTIS (Cable Television Installation & Service)

www.ctis-inc.com
  www.ctis-inc.com

CTIS (Cable Television Installation & Service) Reviews

Updated October 25, 2014
Updated October 25, 2014
1.2

CEO

Long hours, fun work environment, horable management

Current Employee - Cable Technician in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Cable Technician in Augusta, GA

I have been working at CTIS (Cable Television Installation & Service) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work by yourself most of the day. Great work environment around other techs (made some good friends)

Cons

13-16hr work days for 14-21 days in a row then 1 day off and then another 14-21 days in a row. I can't stand the management here. I was on 1 job until 1:30am and my supervisor would not come help me even tho he is required to stay out and help until all the techs complete their routes. 70% of the equipment you get from the warehouse will be broken every day. Just buy your own tools to make your life a lot earlier on jobs. You'll be threatened to get fired a lot but just brush it off.

Get a new project manager. The current manager (who I hear has had the position for over 7 years) needs to quit. Everyone there hates him. He is always rude and talks to you like your stupid. And the managers are not helpful at all. If you get stuck on a job or need advice ect, don't expect your supervisor to answer their phones; and if they do answer, they will be joking around at the warehouse.

Company has no respect for employees and works us like dogs, 80+ hrs weekly, must work 6 a week.

Current Employee - Field Tech in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Field Tech in Jackson, MS

Pros

There is always work, but you will not have any time for a life. Even while working 6 days a week, you won't see a lot of money, around 60% of workforce makes minimum wages with OT of course. Take home company truck, only real positive.

Cons

Scheduling is a nightmare, dispatch is ran by complete fools. Overall, you could describe the management as idiots wrapped up in morons, no joke. Common sense really doesn't exist, a couple field managers have common sense, but they will straight up tell you they can't use it. I would say it's amazing how they are still in business, but I guess Comcast doesn't have a care in the world how a contractor makes their company look. Our turnover rate is through the roof and always has been, I'm leaving in a week, they don't deserve a notice, can't wait to breathe again.... Oh, also we no longer receive any benefits. More money directly to the owners pockets, just horrible people.

quit lying to techs and let us work 5 days a week. And of course, pay us more, not asking for the world, just something semi respectable for our hard work.

Soul Sucking Jerk of a regional manager

Former Employee - Technician in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Technician in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at CTIS (Cable Television Installation & Service) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid (decent money, could be better)

Cons

If the regional manager doesn't like you for any reason (maybe he just doesn't like your face?) he will threaten to fire you on a daily basis. You rarely get any time off and god forbid you get sick because they would rather you be sick and sprerading it in other people's homes than allow you to stay home and get better. They must HATE their employees because they treat them like garbage.

Get a new Regional Manager and start treating employees like people.

Only work here if you are desperate.

Former Employee - Cable Technician in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Cable Technician in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at CTIS (Cable Television Installation & Service) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can meet some really nice customers that on occasion tip, it may be water, food, advice, or money. It's still a tip. They don't have to give you anything.

Cons

With no chance of a Union, this will always be a crappy job. For those who job is wonderful are the ones who kiss butt. 80+ hour work weeks. They want you to call dispatch after you finish so they can clock you out? Nonsense, they want you to call so they can give you more work. Most of the work passed down from Comcast, is stuff they don't want to do. You may get a house that only wants a modem. Well they haven't had cable of any type since the early 90's or later. They need a drop and a cable line in order to get service. A drop may be aerial or underground. 30 minutes to 60 minutes. For your time you will get a whopping $1.75 to $6.00. Now they need a line for the inside. May take 40 minutes to 90 min. Depending if you have run it along the house or through an attic for a wall fish. $4.00 - $16.00. Now it time to set up the internet. If everything goes well 30 min. to an hour. $7.00. Explaining everything to customer another 15 min. Between while you're working till the time you leave, you have to get the job ready for inspection. Making sure you're grounded to power, all new shiny fittings. 60 min. $0.00. The minimum you can make on this is $12.75 the most $ 29.00. For 4 hours....is it worth it. Now if you kiss butt, you'll get triple plays. They pay more. Just imagine if your just installing cable boxes even less. If you're desperate give a go. I did for 2 years then woke up. I ended my slavery.

What comes around goes around!!!!!

Feels like slave drivers

I have been working at CTIS (Cable Television Installation & Service)

Pros

Company vehicle, gas is paid for, company tools, take vehicle home.

Cons

Lotta work for very little pay. They will take money every chance they get. Managment sucks, upper managers don't communicate properly, they keep adding more and more to you as a tech and keep lessening the pay. Very long hours. You work from 7th until the last job in your area is done. Sometimes out till 10pm at night or later and still expected to be in at 7th the next morning. 6/7 day work weeks. Over all not a fun experience.

Learn to listen to your techs that are paying your salary. Stop talking down to them and expecting them to still respect what they are doing. Dispatch is a joke! They tell you one thing over the phone then blast you in emails saying you are disobeying them. Look a lil closer to home before taking it out on the techs.

Beware!!! If u are looking to work for this company

I have been working at CTIS (Cable Television Installation & Service)

Pros

Nutten really good about this

Cons

When they say you get an interview you really take a test once u get there. You sat too long. A lady will call him and he will be right up and he never shows up to talk to you. Your test comes back and you don't get the job because they can't process the application and she doesn't know any information

If your gonna hire someone you better hire them instead of turning good people down

Only work here if you have no where else to go

Current Employee - Cable Technician
    Current Employee - Cable Technician

Pros

The paychecks were on time, and did not bounce. You will learn about cable TV. The interviewer will try to clue you in by saying "This job isn't for everyone..." They'll probably hire you if you look strong, and can pass the drug and driving check.

Cons

Poor training - they offer training, but my trainer walked out/quit, and only after a few weeks of training, they put me in the field (this is common). There's plenty of yelling, high stress, broken equipment that's needed for the job, and performance pressure. Lots of 72 to 80 hour work weeks, and even with that you won't ever see their "performance bonus". If you ask about it, they say if you worked faster, you wouldn't have to work so many hours and you would see a bonus - ha, how original. The jobs that earn the performance bonuses are for their favorite techs. The job is minimum wage all the way. In the interview, they'll say you'll make much more, but in reality it's from all the overtime.

The weekly safety meetings are a joke and put you behind schedule, and you will be expected to climb ladders and work in the wind/rain though the safety meetings say not to, but you'll have no choice if you want to make time and keep your job. Like the other reviewers say, they'll stick it to you when you leave by charging you high prices for the lost screw driver/drill bit, usually to the tune of $200. If you work here, make sure you have it in writing for each tool you receive, keep them at home, and use your own cheap tools instead. I've been here for 6 months and I'm done. The bad atmosphere comes from corporate and local management feels the heat too. They throw the word "fired" around like it's candy coming out of a Pez dispenser, and that tactic, along with the long hours and low pay, cause good people to quit.

A better business model would be to hire more techs, or pay the good techs more, versus paying minimum wage and having an extraordinarily high turnover rate.

Beware..

Former Employee - Cable Tech in Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Cable Tech in Port Charlotte, FL

Pros

I seriously can't think of any real pros of this job.

Cons

Overall a very seazy company. The only thing professional about these guys is that they're pros at screwing the employees. Don't trust them, and if you do get hired, document everything! You'll need it to build your case for Wage and Hourly. Thats what I did and it was worth the hassle.

Its all piece work, which means you will be working 12 to sometimes 16 hours a day and they will find ways to NOT pay you. And when you quit, make sure you quit at the end of the day on Saturday. This is very important because if you dont, you will never see your final paycheck. Why? Because the pay period ends on Thursdays and you're paid on Fridays. They pay you for the week prior and they expect you to quit on a payday because most people do. Dont quit on a Friday because that gives them time to contact payroll and hold your final check the following week (one scam is to claim you have missing tools and bill you for them). If you wait until late Saturday then that weeks payroll is already sent to to be processed by a third party company, which means its too late for them to take money out. If you do this, all they can do is try to bill you for them, which is what they did to me. Luckily I documented everything.

I have no advice to management, only a warning. Your hubris was and is your downfall. Oh yeah, make sure that the next employee you screw isn't related to the Govonor. =O

Very poor! Not a fair company to work for.

Current Employee - Wife of Technician in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Wife of Technician in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at CTIS (Cable Television Installation & Service)

Pros

You might learn a new skill or trade, but that is about it. The only good thing about it is that it is a job.

Cons

They do not fairly treat their employees. The upper management could care less if the technicians have families. If they could keep them out in the field all night they would. If an employee asks for a day off, whether for court, personal reasons, or medical condition--forget it. You are expected to show up. The scheduler makes up his own set of rules for time off even when given advanced notice months in advance. The rules change each day that the techs don't know if they are scheduled or not. There is favoritism, so if your not on this list you get crap jobs. The girls in the dispatch office make personal calls on the companies phones, therefore the techs cannot get through to close out jobs. They have families and they want to get done. One techs house burned down and was told to chose between his family or his job. WHAT Kind of place is this. They are unfair in all aspects. I hope that another company comes in and pulls there contracts out from under them and shuts them down. My husband is trying to find work elsewhere, but for now he is stuck with this place. OH and BTW it must be nice for the management staff to play golf on company time.

Clean up your act. Treat your techs like people and not dogs. Have a little bit of compassion for their families that would like to be able to see them AWAKE. Pay closer attention to the girls in the office and stop the personal phone calls. Get rid of your scheduler, because he is uncaring and cannot schedule. (Jobs should be in the same area- not back and forth all over town as well as equal for all). Your supervisors should have to complete at least 5 good size jobs themselves every week just to remember that it is not an easy job. Stop rushing your techs, they are supposed to work at a safe pace. Unless you want them to get hurt. Start Caring a little more.

not good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at CTIS (Cable Television Installation & Service)

Pros

its a good place to learn a new trade

Cons

the knoxville office has their favorites and does not treat everyone equal especially girls in dispatch always on the phone with friends never can get thru to finish and close jobs to spend time with our families

screen girls in dispatch need time with our family