CTLGroup

2.5

Brent Nixon

Back on track

I have been working at CTLGroup full-time

Pros

A company with an incredible history
    Leading structural and material testing labs in the nation
    Extraordinary capabilities in some niches like rail component testing, petrography, cement and mortar testing, cable testing, materials consulting, etc.
    A recent change in leadership has improved working environment

Cons

Facilities are a bit outdated
    Business mentality is still needed by some staff
    Lack of ownership opportunities for staff

Big improvements and a bright future

I have been working at CTLGroup full-time

Pros

CTLGroup has been at the leading edge of structural engineering and material science (especially cement and concrete) for nearly 100 years. There is no better place on earth to find that expertise. The recent changes in corporate leadership brought new focus on developing people and advancing the state-of-the-art. And the opportunity to solve some of the construction world's greatest challenges makes the company an excellent place for young and mid-career star performers.

Cons

Some of the senior staff, though among the best known experts in their field, seem to prefer solving technical problems rather than developing business or managing work by others.

Make sure managers and senior staff understand they need to be accountable for generating revenue, delivering profitable projects, and ensuring client satisfaction.

Great place to work with bright minded indviduals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at CTLGroup full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Industry leaders; friendly and helpful staff; great workplace environment to learn and grow professionally dining in service

Cons

Communication lacking at times. Facilities needs a face-lift. Office groups tend to be isolated.

Continue to open lines of communication among staff

Inspired and Engaged

I have been working at CTLGroup full-time

Pros

The existing leaders are inspiring. They understand the business and are focused on the future. My co-workers are really great. Not only are they brilliant at what they do, but they are unselfish and engaged at creating a welcome culture. Opportunities for a diverse workload is second-to-none. I'm having fun and looking forward to a bright (and rewarding) future.

Cons

Some of the existing systems are outdated, but there is an upward trend. I'd like to hear about the huge successes we are having more frequently.

You are heading in the right direction. I can't wait to hear what's coming next!

A legendary engineering firm with exceptional talent and knowledge!

I have been working at CTLGroup

Pros

Leadership focus on reframing practice strategy for expert services over the past several years that started with former CEO. He was able to bring the vision and operations leadership to recalibrate the value proposition of the firm, moving the management and talent focus on growth in markets, clients and geographic expansion. Attracted and retained senior level talent for key management and operational roles.

Cons

The firm's culture continues to lag progress, as well as lack of resources to improve facilities and provide new technology and incentives to retain talent.

Ownership model needs to change to allow significant re-investment to happen.

Culture change was in the works.

I worked at CTLGroup full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Former CEO offered the staff the opportunities to expand their expertise and broaden their horizons.

Cons

Too many hold outs from R&D days that figured no marketing or business development with current or future clients was needed and as a result, too many on the staff sat around figuring the work would come if they waited for the phone to ring.

Figure out how to first recruit the sorely needed staff and then mentor/train/encourage staff so they stay. Hire people who not only have technical (hard) skills but also personalities (soft) skills.

A very challenging company to work for

I worked at CTLGroup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people who work there

Cons

The former President and his minion ruled the company by fear and intimidation.

Prior President was just an absolute embarrassment and shameful how he ran this business.

CTL is falling apart and will soon be out of business

Former Employee - Associate II in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Associate II in Skokie, IL

I worked at CTLGroup full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I totally agree with several of recent reviews. There is basically nothing good to mention. Well, the old, shabby building's basement is a great haunting house without any need to decorate.

Cons

Too many to list. Dictatorship from top management to mid-levels; incompetent CEO (just got fined) and managers (one was fined too); unhealthy working environment...

Learn to be a human being and do something humae

Run away from this place, unless senior management has been completely replaced since posting date

I have been working at CTLGroup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generally nobody works long hours as they follow the President and Senior Managers lead.

Cons

The President of the company has an unengaged, autocratic management style that harbors fear and dishonestly. He has routinely made threatening remarks to all levels of staff. It basically is his way or the highway. He takes a “do as I say, not as I do” approach to management. Senior management nurtures and support the culture.

Senior Management (Vice Presidents and Directors) is ineffective and provides no technical leadership. None of these people are rain makers and/or are significantly billable and therefore provide no role model for the general staff on any important metric. PCA (owners) should clean house!

Terrible experience at this place.

I worked at CTLGroup

Pros

I honestly have nothing positive to say about this company except the benefits were OK.

Cons

My perspective of the company as I experienced it:

-Management likes to intimidate employees. There is a "my way or the highway" attitude, and employees are fearful of their jobs.
    -Many people have quit or were let go in the past few years. Loyalty to the company is not appreciated at all.
    -The facilities are dirty and run down. It is an embarrassment to clients.
    -Pay is only mediocre. Raises are terrible.
    -HR does not show fairness to employees when they have concerns. Employees are even yelled at. I've seen employees in tears.

This company needs a complete restructuring & turnaround. They need to clean house.