CTS Corporation Reviews

Vinod M. Khilnani

1. Run before it's too late

Current Employee - Engineer in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at CTS Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The place is disorganized if you get the right position very little will be expected, sleeping at work is common and not discouraged. If you can play the local politics, which are immense, then no matter how poorly you perform you'll be ok. It is also good for laughs and to actual observe some of the jokes about bureaucracies and inefficiencies that you've read in Dilbert. If you like history the building, computers and tools that you use are antique. If you want a good laugh you get to frequently hear the elderly employees going off about politics or religion. It may not be bad for a 1 - 2 year fill in job, but certainly not long term.

Cons

Make sure you have everything they tell you for your offer in writing, even then you will have to speak up to make happen. Intelligence and technical ability are not appreciated and actually punished. Absolutely no career opportunities, any promotions are entirely based on politics, goals and reviews are intentionally ambiguous to aid this. Your boss will likely be unqualified, completely unable to understand what you are doing and unable to provide any training or support/learning opportunities. The people who have succeeded are good at avoiding projects that are going poorly, stealing credit for others work and finding scapegoats, it's a nasty backstabbing environment. After record profits they laid off employees just to hit immediate goals for managements immediate bonuses ignoring future success. Annual raises are either cancelled or well below inflation. They do have some engineers that have been CTS for a long time, don't let this fool you it is only because they were not able to find work elsewhere and having CTS on your resume does not help.

Worry less about appeasing immediate stockholder returns to get your bonus and look down the road at least a few years. Actually try to look at what is going on at Elkhart and question why you have more managers/supervisors than engineers. Try to move out of the 1960's in into modern times.

Former Project Engineer

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Elkhart, IN

I worked at CTS Corporation

Pros

Good place to start your career.

Cons

The culture was oppressive. I have heard from several current employees that the new management is not getting it done.

Mismanaged; new team not making it better

Current Employee - Manager in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at CTS Corporation

Pros

Good for a "fresh-out" engineer to get his foot in the door, then leave after 2 years. No rush hour in this area.

Cons

Quality engineers reported directly to engineering managers, and many procedures were eliminated to streamline. Imagine the damage an engineering manager or director could do if he pushed his quality engineer to ignore failures. The new execs eliminated this conflict of interest, but promoted the abusers rather than fire or demote them. This, in part, demoralized the troops. The performance review system has nothing to do with promotions and salary.

Engineering directors and managers don't need performance bonuses. They'll just game the system as some already have. Eliminate them and use the money to clean and rehab the offices.
    Distribute employee job descriptions. You must not realize just how confused it is.

5. Just ok

Former Employee - Administrative Support in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Support in Lisle, IL

I worked at CTS Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office environment was very nice and so were the people. The benefits provided were also decent, so that also helped.

Cons

Growth opportunities were limited for most unless you rubbed elbows with the right people in charge, which was a challenge as the corporate office was located in Elkhart, IN at the time.

Chaotic, mismanaged and unorganized, otherwise a great experience.

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Elkhart, IN

I worked at CTS Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learned to manage a group of individuals as well as multiple products. I accelerated in my time management ability. I learned about unfamiliar products and prototypes.

Cons

The only recognition received was that of negative enforcement. There was no team effort above my pay grade, only individuals faulting others instead of pulling together.

Please get all of the facts and pertinent information before acting. Do not reinforce individuals because they tend to be loud or try to intimidate, positive attitudes should be rewarded. Hard work, personal effort and team players will make a corporation successful, and gain respect where it is due...management.

7. working for more than a yr

I have been working at CTS Corporation

Pros

good company to work with

Cons

no negative as of now

good management

8. Good learning experience.

Former Employee - Administrative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in San Jose, CA

I worked at CTS Corporation

Pros

The people were the best part of this company, learned many essential skills which I will use through out my career.

Cons

Lot of turn over in past two years, hard to make it through. Employees losing momentum.

9. Do not work at CTS

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Moorpark, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Moorpark, CA

I worked at CTS Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some nice people. nice bathrooms........

Cons

Too many to list; it would hurt my fingers.

show SOME value to employees or fire them and get new ones.

10. Awesome place to work

I have been working at CTS Corporation full-time

Pros

great pay, amazing work environment

Cons

poor management. they play favorites with employees

improve ur interview process

11. Just another American based company that takes jobs away from American workers for a better bottom line.

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Carol Stream, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Carol Stream, IL

I worked at CTS Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The facility I worked at was a very friendly environment filled with highly skilled and helpful coworkers. Hours were reasonable with occasional over time.

Cons

The facility I worked for was closed, all production lines were moved to Juarez, Mexico to save money and raise profits for share holders. Numerous awards in excellence and a highly skilled core of employees was not enough to stop them from closing down this factory. No raise in 3 years of service.

Learn to value your skilled employee's more than your share holders.