CUNA Mutual Reviews

Reset
3.2
CUNA Mutual President and Chief Executive Officer Robert N. Trunzo
Robert N. Trunzo

Pros
  • There's also an onsite workout facility which to a better work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule; salary & benefits; underground parking and onsite cafeteria; reasonable work load (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Politics within the Credit Union, not CUNA (in 8 reviews)

• Work-Life balance could be better (in 3 reviews)

1. Sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at CUNA Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair company, great presence in a good marketplace, it's hard to get fired if that's what you are looking for, good benefits,

Cons

Slow to change, they say if you don't like something, particularly your manager, just wait a little while and it will change

Advice to Management

Be more open minded

2. Slow to adapt new technologies

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at CUNA Mutual full-time

Pros

Friendly Co-workers, Nice Campus, Competitive Wages

Cons

Slow to adapt new development technologies

Company has taken a turn for the worse

Former Employee - Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at CUNA Mutual (More than a year)

Pros

Gym, underground parking, decent benefits. Lots of really nice people working there. They do a decent amount of philanthropy work, which is nice.

Cons

Terrible management who only care about themselves (in many departments). Bad work-life balance under new CEO--he's only concerned about making money, not about the long hours people are working. Difficult to move up unless you brown nose all the time--doesn't matter how good you would be at the job. Horrible technology. Managers rank their team on a curve that leads to a horrible work environment.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the year-end review curve! Hire people into management positions that can actually manage; just because someone is good at their current job doesn't mean they will be good managing others. Also, make managers learn what their employees do! It's hard to find for what your team needs when you don't know how hard they're working or what they're up against.

5. Terrible in all ways

Former Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI

I worked at CUNA Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were very few pros to working here. The campus was nice, but I was reprimanded more than once for leaving my desk during my lunch to walk around. After that I mainly just sat in my cube 10 hours a day. Where I sat you couldn't even tell if the sun was shining or if it was raining.

Cons

This was one of the worst work environments I can possibly imagine. The hours were long, there was frequent and continuous turnover at all levels of the company. I had 5 managers in 2 years there. The micro management was stifiling and depressing. Some of the managers seemed to particularly enjoy bullying their employees and did everything they could to diminish them. There were more managers than staffers in my department which meant that everyone had task lists that were excessive and unacheivable. If you have family or kids, don't expect to see them much because they seem to want you there all the time. This place is unpredictable, unstable and the managers are demeaning and often just cruel. The turnover is high, unfortunately the worst of the people are the ones that stick around.

Advice to Management

Restructure your management, change your values, encourage REAL work life balance, be careful about who you promote and how they deal with people. Some managers would suck up big time to their superiors and then cut down anyone they could when they were left alone.

Micro Managed Nightmare

Former Employee - IT Department in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - IT Department in Madison, WI

I worked at CUNA Mutual

Pros

Great Co-workers, and Union Contract

Cons

Seems to be an overabundance of Middle-Managers
    "Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new cover-sheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great... All right!"

Advice to Management

Work by example...7 of 8 hours a day in meetings is not productive!

Horrible Bosses

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at CUNA Mutual full-time

Pros

Benefits, parking garage, Life Site (on site health club for employee use), CUNA Mutual philanthropy does a nice job benefiting the community.

Cons

Power abusing management. Fear based, toxic culture. You will have lots of surprises in your review and if you're new, your chances of ending up on the low end of the forced ranking curve is extremely high. Your chances of getting a low ranking also go up if you're close to retirement or if you're a woman. If you are lucky to get a decent manager you may be okay, but your chances of getting a micromanaging, ignorant, power abusing moron with zero people skills is quite high as they run rampant here. Definitely stay away from Lending IT and Enterprise Content Management.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who understand the meaning of leadership, have good people skill and know how to inspire and support staff. Though there are a few good ones, many managers in IT suck every ounce of job enthusiasm out of their direct reports by micromanaging and bullying. Treat employees like they matter. Don't use training as a reward.

CUNA Mutual Pros and Cons of the Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at CUNA Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay, bonuses and benefits are either at market or a bit better. The people definitely have a good midwestern friendliness and work ethic. Because of size, good amount of internal opportunities. Having been to two of four locations - the two have workout facilities and cafeterias. Headquarters in Madison, WI, has free underground parking! Depending on manager and area, flexibility to work from home on a limited basis. Many managers, outside time-sensitive areas like call centers, are flexible with work schedules - as long as you get the work done. Madison building has open atrium with lots of natural lighting and glass elevators - almost 'hotel-like' in ambiance, allowing people to meet and collaborate out in the open.

Cons

A 'safe'/conservative organization stems from it's roots in financial services/insurance leads to group think when it comes to decision making. Not wanting to make a mistake or take too much risk affects timeliness of decisions and ability to act efficiently. Many topics or questions need to be run by many people in different areas. Getting people to feel empowered is a cultural hurdle. Change is a challenge and "we've always done it this way" is brought up in discussions, though there has been improvement with this as new hires try to sway the tenured staff to consider different options to solving problems. Information Technology group needs to be more forward thinking. Some organizations have the business preventing changes in technology, but in this org it can be IT that hold things back. In IT area it can difficult to figure out who to contact for what need with all their forms and processes for things that should be simple, they can get complex and over complicated. With the hiring of a new CIO, this too may be addressed in the near future. Finding documents and resources via Sharepoint or Intranet can be more than a challenge.

Advice to Management

CEO Bob Trunzo realizes that our culture wants us to have things 90% right before moving forward on something. He's stated that we need to be better at not shooting for perfect. Leaders need to be empowered to make decisions on their own. They also need to know that it is okay to take risks and make mistakes. People should not be rewarded or receive a pat on the back because they brought up an obstacle that would prevent moving forward. We should consider options on how to do something not why we shouldn't. Allow experts in their area to be experts and guide those they consult.

Great company to work for, strong values, work life balance.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at CUNA Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Focused leadership, investing in the future with strong financial results.

Cons

Very meeting heavy culture and a lot of projects.

Advice to Management

More jeans days, reduce meetings or do no meeting days to allow everyone time to focus on making the right choices for our project execution and strategic direction.

Under utilizing technology

Former Employee - Account Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Account Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at CUNA Mutual

Pros

Friendly, hard working people and a nice work place

Cons

Under utilizing the technology. There are some great tools available, but decisions were made to take the path of least resistance and keep doing accounting the way its been done for decades

Advice to Management

Invest in updating your technology and business process to leverage the tremendous wealth of human experience and data available to you. Instead of spending so much time manually compiling data, invest in tools and systems integration that will automate your data and give your employees the time to analyze what they are doing.

11. If you're desperate.....work at Cuna Mutual Group. Horrible Environment.

Current Employee - PMO Resource in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - PMO Resource in Madison, WI

I have been working at CUNA Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers in the IT & PMO areas, Contractors really know their stuff and have elevated skill sets compared with others in the Industry. Pay is good as a contractor and decent as a FTE. Cuna has a nice bonus program and average benefits plus pension.

Cons

The Business areas rely WAY to much on the PMO and IT areas. If you are a BA or PM at Cuna, be prepared to do an excessive amount of hand holding with business areas. Be prepared to be on a project well past deployment and implementation. Cuna Mutual culture is the epitome of "But we've always done it that way". Be prepared for business areas really not comprehending what a BA or PM does. Business leaders speak to changes Cuna is making but it's very rarely seen. A lot of "fluff" to pump up employees. Contractors are put on projects the FTE's don't want to work on, because of various reasons including the project being set up to fail or difficult stakeholders. Management will acknowledge that specific stakeholders are "problems" but nothing is done to help the workers in the PMO or IT area. Once an employee or contractor leaves a project for political issues a new contractor is thrown into the pit.

Cuna Mutual is extremely "clicky". Get ready to go back to high school. Lots of gossip between Managers, other department areas and employees. Almost all people I worked with were very fake. I was told to run away from Cuna by ex employees, I wish I would of listened. I watched an employee scream at someone from facility management because a chair was left in the hallway. Managers often change their minds and "forget" or "don't remember that outcome" from a meeting.

There are also mold issues and mice issues in some of the buildings. The entire atmosphere feels "stale". I've never seen so much talk about creating progress forward with so little action to back it up.

I agree with other posts that for a company this size there organizational structure is bananas. They really need to invest in a reorganization or all company areas. If that request gets documented now, it may just be approved in 5 years.

PMO practices seem old and outdated. But this is being looked into by experienced team members so hopefully it will get better in the future.

CUNA tends to have a lot of meetings just to have meetings which affects work getting completed on time.

Advice to Management

Don't make your contractors go to your company portfolio meetings. Contractors could care less on what the current company portfolio is, they just want to work on their assigned projects.

Fix your outdated PMO processes.

If there is a specific project where you have a lot of PMO resource turn over, look to discover the underlying issues.

RSS Feed </> Embed