CVS Caremark

Updated Mar 17, 2014

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great company in a rough industry

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsCVS is very focused on training. You will know how to do a job fully before you are assigned to it. It's a retail management job where the manager can get full weekends or other consecutive days off without jumping through hoops. You have a lot of control over your environment, and even if you go against the company standard, if you can back up your reasoning with sound logic and good numbers you will be supported in your decision. it is a place where you truly can control your destiny! All this on top of a very good salary and a fantastic benefits and bonus package.

ConsRetail management mans retail hours. Retail management means standard retail staffing issues. Like most businesses, labor budgets are trimmed, but the workload is not. There are certain areas that are over-micromanaged, which get in the way of doing more useful tasks... The hiring process is too clunky and time consuming. You have to start replacing an employee two to six weeks before they ever let you know that they're quitting...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're spending millions on paperwork, signs, and other things that are ignored by most stores all the while wondering why the company's reputation for customer service is so low. Spend that money on your people instead, and not the managers, but the hourly cashiers and supervisors. If every store had an hours budget increase of only 10% the stress on the management and the positive effect on customer relations would create benefits that far outweigh the cost.

It was okay

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsIt was a job... So yeah

ConsIt was just to pay the bills

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any advice

Customer service/merchandiser

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsIts a great place to work. You get to meet people all the time. However some customers will annoy you.

ConsLack of enough hours for some stores. No overtime whatsoever for most people.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure people have enough hours and some overtime as much as possible.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Always changing..

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsI like my coworkers, flexible scheduling

ConsAngry customers, low pay (even with experience), not enough techs to meet customer demand, very busy, always on feet, RULES ARE ALWAYS CHANGING. management chances and adds requirements on the daily (making the job more and more complicated)

not great not terrible

Shift Supervisor B (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

Pros-Get a lot of experience multitasking
    -Affordable healthcare
    -Flexible schedule

Cons-So tasks do not get done because of lack of staff
    -Pay is not good for as much work as they ask of you
    -Sometimes work/life balance is not good when you don't have seniority and want to work full time

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cut so many corners with the ability for stores to staff properly because customers notice.

Great Starting Point!

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

ProsGood strong learing experience available with this company! Plenty of free education about becoming a tech and what to expect.

ConsNot very good management, High employee turn over rate, no merit raises for effort and performance ect....

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation to your employees! A simple gesture of kindness will motivate many!

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsFlexible work schedule. Never boring, time goes fast. If you put in hard work it is usually rewarded.

ConsCVS took away too many employee hours and pay cashiers next to nothing, so hard to hire good talent, and if you do they don't stay because of the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry a little less about your stock price and give more hours to stores to take care of the customers.

Great experience at CVS

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)
    Newark, OH

ProsAs a pharmacy technician, I really got to know the regular customers.

ConsIt seemed like the pharmacy was either really busy or no one at all was in there and we were twiddling our thumbs. Maybe that was just my location, but it got old after awhile.

Depends

Retail Drug Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

Pros20% discount, fast-paced, able to build relationships with diverse groups of customers and staff. Benefits ok. New initiatives ca be helpful.

ConsNo work-life balance for managers. Poor integrity of upper management to store employees. More money for the stakeholders does not filter down to good employees doing a good job for the company. Extreme "big brother" threats without providing support or resources for success. Bonuses tied to several factors, not necessarily store profitability at store level, which makes it a dangling carrot. DMs who make friends with certain managers is a conflict of interest, in my opinion, because it creates resentment among peer groups when the manager friend gets rewarded time and time again overlooking others who are doing good things also.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee engagement surveys are not followed through by upper management. Constant threats of losing your job makes the culture unnecessarily stressful. It would be a good idea to look at regional managers and district managers to see how well they actually support managers and stores. Give real ideas to new people and be a resource for development for the goal of achievement for both parties.

Takes advantage of their workers

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Upper Arlington, OH

ProsEasy job, everyone is friendly, not a hard time getting a decent amount of hours, they provide lunch when you do have to work on a holiday

Consyou basically have to work every holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, New Years Eve), a lot a nasty customers, the pay is very poor and raises never occur

Advice to Senior ManagementReward hard work with raises

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!

CVS Caremark – Why Work for Us?

Our Company CVS Caremark is a pharmacy innovation company that is reinventing pharmacy for better health. We are continuously developing new ways to improve access for patients, promote better health outcomes and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CVS Caremark reviews and ratings in Columbus, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CVS Caremark CEO Larry J. Merlo. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by CVS Caremark employees.