CVS Caremark

Updated Jul 20, 2014

2.7 2,764 reviews

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say(in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees, flexible schedules around school(in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees(in 143 reviews)

• that isn't a bad thing from a customer service standpoint but it can be stressful(in 129 reviews)

2,764 Employee Reviews

Store manager

Store Manager CVS (Former Employee) Parrish, FL

ProsSolid company to work for and pays well for store managers.

ConsStores are often running with two employees and only one while employees are on break - while offering services that require additional help to fulfill those services as a result customer service suffers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff the stores to run as they are intended.

very low pay very busy work place

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

Prosnice people hard work for one night

Conspharmacy complaints about time to fill perscriptions

Advice to Senior Managementhave tough skin

My experience at CVS Caremark was a positive one

Account Manager (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsAble to work on own as long as you get the work done.

ConsToo many changes in last 4 years, all benefits have been reduced

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at candidate without college degrees, you'll find experience, skill sets and dedication.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK Company

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Watsonville, CA

ProsConsistent hours. A lot of opportunity to hone your skills in a competitive environment. Lots of work to do so hours on the clock go by fast

ConsInconsistent management. My district changes District Managers almost every year. Expectations are always changing. Raise reviews are a max of 2%. Its not a lot if your manager even remembers to put you in for one. I feel like they are not competitive in terms of pay compared to the averages I see nation wide. In terms of keeping up with cost of living, I am almost breaking even in terms of starting pay to current pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your long term employees. Technicians are a dime a dozen. When you get a good one who can do it all and do it well take initiative to keep them happy.

Company is great to work for, store level management is not.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe best reasons to work for CVS are all the great benefits that the company offers: Medical insurance, vacation time, 401K, employee discount, etc., etc. The company offers some of the best benefits in the industry and is one of the most successful companies of its kind.

ConsBig problem with management. Members of management abuse their position and authority to further their personal interests even in detriment of the company. There is a lot of favoritism and nepotism and promotions are not given based on merit and skills and knowledge of the job but to people that the manager likes. Security is non-existent and theft is rampant but LP chooses to blame the employees before looking at the real cause of shrink. If they had in-store security they would see that it is outside theft that is the main cause of shrink.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management that most likely will not be followed would be to be fair, to treat people with dignity and respect, and to promote people based on merit, Knowledge of the job, and skills. Giving titles and promotions to people that do not deserve it only creates resentment and hostility.

CVS

Prosgreat coworkers and the new stores are really nice

Consfew hours for hourly employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter raises for long term employees (opposed to 3%) and more hours for employees. Less micromanaging

Always improving . . . but very harsh.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsEach CVS has a range of 4-5 shift managers who work diligently to create a store perfect for customers, D.M.'s, and G.M.

ConsAll the work loaded upon the shift managers is usually given to the sales associate, meaning that rushed worked is done and time away from the counter is needed leading to potential theft.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be two sales associates day (normal) and night!!

Great Company

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsNice call center, ok pay and benefits

Conshas very strict attendance policies

Good experience so far

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Lincoln, RI

ProsLarge initiatives give top performance great experience

ConsToo many layers of management in some areas

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the Technology office and PMO

Learned a lot at CVS Caremark

Pharmacist Intern (Former Employee)

ProsCVS is a successful company and you could see why through the training they provide. They offer very thorough training and I learned a lot through the required training modules they regularly provide. They had a great program for pharmacist interns in my area to ensure that we were getting adequately trained each year while I was in pharmacy school. They basically train you so that by the time you graduate you will be able to successfully transition into becoming a pharmacist and be able to run the pharmacy yourself. We were also given a raise every year.

ConsThe only problem i had was that we were understaffed at times. This was very stressful especially since we were a busy pharmacy. They also eventually cut my hours so I was not working as often as I would have liked to.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to ensure that the pharmacists and pharmacy managers are actually teaching pharmacist interns, rather than just treating them like pharmacy technicians and using them only for labor.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!