CVS Caremark

2.7 2,714 reviews

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

2,714 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "If you are full time they do offer good benefits"
    in 87 reviews
  • "Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say"
    in 84 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management only "crawls out from under their rock" in one of their many "crises""
    in 136 reviews
  • "Also have to answer customer service calls even though has nothing to do with our job"
    in 116 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

overworked and underpaid

Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Current Employee)

Prosyou learn alot at this job

Consoverworked and expected to do the job of multiple people

Opportunity to be trained as a pharmacy tech and get paid while you learn.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsIt is a very fast pace career to work in the pharmacy, always an opportunity to learn and never a dull moment.
    It gives you a good feeling to be able to help people.

ConsUpper management is always coming up with new programs to call customer , cutting hours and asking for more customer service. Would be a great company to do undercover boss in the pharmacy. The executives up where the air gets thin have no idea what it is like in the pharmacy.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of running the company on a FRY AND BURN system they should add hours so more people can be hired an paid in accordance to the importance of the job which can be life or death if a mistake is made.
    It is not like making and selling pizza's.

Mediocre Company

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Athens, GA

ProsEasy to get a job here and you dont have to do very much work. Management can be pretty laid back.

ConsThe company drains the life out of you. It is a pretty easy company to work for but terribly boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like you care.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was fired at 7 months pregnant for not completing all of my training modules.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe hours were so flexible. My pharmacy manager completely understood the fact that I had to work out babysitting issues. And he was great; he always had our backs.

ConsA lot of the training modules had to be completed on our own time and my laptop went on the fritz for a while. I ended up having two uncompleted modules. For that, I was fired by my pharmacy manager's regional manager less than two months before giving birth to my second daughter. Since then, I have been blacklisted from most pharmacies.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen someone is pushing for a second chance, it shows that they care about their job. You should have talked to me face-to-face instead of using my pharmacy manager as a middle man. TALK DIRECTLY TO THE PERSON WHOSE LIFE YOU'RE ABOUT TO RUIN.

Not great...

Pharmacy Technician Trainee/Pharmacy Service Associate (Former Employee)
    Rockwall, TX

ProsSome definitely not all of my coworkers were very hard working and nice which made it good to be around also customers...

ConsNot good pay..suppose to be doing production, drop off,pick up,or drive thru yet every single night stuck in drive through. Schedule was up and down and lucky to get 4 hours..some customers were rude and employees lazy but wanted you to compensate for it ....no breaks or lunches even when entitled to one

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do a lot more reviewing of some of the pharmacy's, some of those pharmacist know a lot but can not manage and don't have equality with new vs old employees

Store Manager

Retail Drug Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Upland, CA

ProsThe company does have opportunity for advancement, great benefits, 401K plan and great pharmacy operation. The leadership train provided is good and beneficial.

ConsThe work-life balance is not there and they operate strictly on metrics. The systems and operational processes are outdate and unrealistic. Culture and moral are a big issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to listen to the associate more and open up to receiving feedback. Show more respect towards people.

The grass is not greener on the other side.

Store Manager Trainee (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe money, CVS does pay more than its competitors, there have been times when i really wanted to quit then i saw my bank account and it reminded me on why i need to hold on for a while longer. This answer may depend on the person and any negotiation.

ConsTime, you will be expected to accomplish task with no payroll. Your store manager, yes even though you're applying for a store manager trainee position when they dont tell you is that you will have 3 months of training or less then you will go to Assistant store manager. The position holds a lot of responsibility, no support. Your pay gets cut! yes you heard me right when you are training you work 40 hours a week and lets say you're making 52k/year that would break up your pay to about 25/hour, (by the way you are salaried/hourly) once you've completed your training you are mandated to work 45hours a week so your hourly rate goes down to $22.22/hour to adjust for the additional 5 hours. You do not start seeing over time till you hit 45 hours. if you miss a day or a couple hours you will lose that money there is no readjustment.
    Your discount sucks! you get 20% off of everything NOT ON SALE and 30% off of CVS brand items NOT ON SALE, your customers on average get 25% off constantly. The company cares more about customers than employees, doesn't matter what the scenario is if a customer makes a stink about anything you are held accountable for everything, doesn't matter how great you're doing, or weather you were short staffed or pulling a double, if the customer is unhappy and they take the survey you're screwed END OF STORY. Going to work is a constant battle because you may come across a troublesome individual or someone can be having a bad day, they can take it out on you and you'll have no choice but to take a write up.
    Your schedule will be the most inconsistent think in your life, you may open one day 7-4 and close the next or overnight. sometimes more often you will see something like this close saturday 2-11 and open monday 7-4. NO WORK, LIFE, BALANCE!. Store managers get 80% of profit in their bonus, as an assistant you get 20% and if there is more than one assistant, you'll end up sharing the bonus pool.
    There is not one person that i know that can truly say they are happy with CVS, but when you need to make a certain amount of money to survive you are left with no choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementSadly there are no perks, you will do everything and all that your staff does, some days you will be a glorified stock guy or a cashier and some days you will be a manager. The culture sucks, but hey its retail which means you sign your life away.

High Stress, Low Support

Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Former Employee)

ProsThere aren't many pros to this job. There is little opportunity to advance and all management cares about is the script count. They will hire anyone with a state registration no matter what their skills are.

ConsBad hours, sour management, you are treated as a disposable commodity. They will hire anyone off the street if you can legally work as a pharmacy technician which leads to dangerous mistakes.

Their attitude toward the employee would be quite at home in 16th century England.

Shift Supervisor B (Current Employee)
    Warrenton, VA

ProsPaychecks come without fail every two weeks. Benefits are okay, the employee discount is 30%, no one much bothers you if you look busy.

ConsLousy IT hardware, flawed performance metrics, a don't make waves attitude toward solving systemic issues, an SS style internal group named Loss Prevention that presumes every employee is guilty of something but they just haven't caught them yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want great things to be accomplished, you will have to come up with significant capital improvements to your IT infrastructure at the store level. You also need to treat your employees with TRUE respect and not presume them guilty of theft without any factual evidence. Do not continue to kiss the customers backside at the expense of discarding the principles of right and wrong.

Where to start...

Shift Supervisor B (Current Employee)
    Spring, TX

ProsAlthough I don't have many positives about CVS, my regular customers have to be the top of the list. Pay is also decent, for a 21 year old. Great brand new store in good part of town and co workers that pull their weight.

ConsEvery time I am given a chance to express my opinion about CVS I always say the same things..myVoice, Daily observations (every shift you have to put a positive and a negative comment about your co-workers performance), Survey scores (where anything but a 5 doesn't count). CONSTANT criticism and you need to be able to handle that. Minimum hours, and being in a brand new store and $10,000 above our budget.. We have to wait until the new year for more hours which is ridiculous. I've worked with the same co workers for over a year now and I feel I still barely know them because it is always just a shift and a cashier and the two are always busy doing separate things. No sense of unity or teamwork. Management is a joke and the district manager constantly breathes down your neck if your not on top of business and threatens to fire any and everyone that doesn't do their job. If you are not a people person or can't fake a smile, don't even apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the criticism. Give us more hours and stop wasting the ones we do have on two 1 hour long conference calls a week.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!

CVS Caremark – Why Work for Us?

Our Company CVS Caremark is a pharmacy innovation company that is reinventing pharmacy for better health. We are continuously developing new ways to improve access for patients, promote better health outcomes and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CVS Caremark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CVS Caremark CEO Larry J. Merlo. All 2,714 reviews posted anonymously by CVS Caremark employees.