CVS Caremark

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.7 2,772 reviews

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say(in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees, flexible schedules around school(in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees(in 143 reviews)

• that isn't a bad thing from a customer service standpoint but it can be stressful(in 129 reviews)

2,772 Employee Reviews

Perpetually lower payroll budgets coupled with perpetually higher workloads and expectations.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPay is decent for the industry standard. I still get to manage my store my way, for now.

The company is extremely innovative. Not only with new generic products for the shelves but also with equipment and customer satisfaction.

ConsPaperwork - Lots of paperwork. So much so that a store manager in a high volume store (the stores that take the brunt of the annual budget cuts) is mostly stuck between being in the office doing paperwork and checking as there is no one else to do so.

Budget cuts - managers hold out every year and wait for things to improve but they get worse and worse. One day the budget cutting bubble will burst and stores will end up with 1 keyholder operating the entire store. Don't be surprised if you start seeing that walking into your local store.

I've been a member of management for over 12 years and I've yet to see a year where payroll budgets increased. Instead, they dive past the point of reason.

As most reviewers previously stated, I'm not sure if any of the upper management have ever worked a day of their lives in a store. Managers are expected to complete all the typical manager duties. Which is fine. On the flip side, budget constraints have forced store managers to be the second checker, merchandiser, re-stocker, janitor, cart attendant, parking lot cleanup, exterior cleaner, mop boy, trash man, photo lab supervisor, card clerk, receiver, scanning coordinator, the list goes on.

Some might argue that it's simply a question of delegation and follow through. How do you delegate if you're the only person in the store?

Advice to Senior ManagementEase back on the paperwork and action planning. Most managers know how to run a store without you holding their hands every step of the way. Micro management starves creativity and character.

The company generates over a hundred billion dollars in revenue every year, why not go back and support the stores?

New managers flip in and out of the company for a reason. And the ones that don't are miserable. I've seen some of the best and brightest veteran managers simply give up after taking so much.

Boring, bad pay, Rude customers

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Venice, FL

ProsEasy work, hires with no experience necessary, nice coworkers

ConsHorrible with raises, lots of "modules", never anything to do until you have too much to do, all of my coworkers were sweet people on low wages in constant fear of losing their job, and the customers were horribly rude and cranky, or kind of creepy when I worked nights.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with some decency, give better raises and more freedom.

low hours, low pay, unreasonable expectations

Front Clerk (Current Employee) Spartanburg, SC

Prosfairly easy work, but rather boring. If you're a hard worker you should be able to get promoted to shift manager. Unless you do something really stupid you won't ever get fired, 20% employee discount (30% on store brand).

Conslow pay for pretty much all positions, corporate never gives the stores enough hours, there can be a lot of unreasonable pressure put on the employees, it seemed like a very boring and unrewarding job to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your stores more hours and more employees so you can be more flexible with scheduling. The people who are interested in full time positions need to be able to get them. I have been working 32 hours on average a week and am still considered part time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Always Hectic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you have a good team and a good pharmacist things should run smoothly.

ConsPay, promotions, lack of help, corporate programs, upselling

5 years and 2 promotions is a lot for less than a dollar worth of raises.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Clawson, MI

ProsI worked with wonderful people. The customers were generally understanding of situations. My schedule and hours at work were reasonable and flexible.

ConsI worked at CVS for over 5 years. During this period I was promoted twice - from Cashier to Photo Lab Supervisor, then to Shift Supervisor. With 5 years of annual raises and 2 promotional raises, I was still only making 90 cents more than what I started with.
    I was also very disappointed with the general work load for each employee. When I started at my store we had 16 employees (including management) and after 5 years of employment we had 7 employees doing the same work load.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better. They work hard.

SMT warning

Sales Manager Trainee (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a job, which can be hard to find. There are always twenty more things that need to be done, so you will never be bored.

ConsBiggest warning is that the hiring district manager probably will not tell you that you were hired at a redlined rate of pay and you will never be eligible for a raise unless you get promoted. You will only find that out after your first year of employment and have poured your heart and soul into the job. Discount is hardly more than what you can get the product for elsewhere or what the customers get it for on sale. To get anywhere you have to work off the clock to manage to get your tasks done plus training and everything else expected of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest. Pay your people what they deserve. Stop cutting payroll and benefits.

Not enough payroll to get the unending number of tasks done daily

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCvs is a stable company with a wealth of financial resources that will ensure its long term existence. Is also putting in place a number of initiaves to try and make your job as a store manager easier.

ConsCvs is the most task driven company I've ever worked for. On top of this my payroll dollars to run the store each week have decreased an average of 60 hours per week from when I started 2 years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen can't talk about providing great customer service on one hand and give our managers bare bones payroll budgets to run the stores on the other.

Too Out of touch

CVS Store Manager (Current Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

ProsIf you're doing your job competently, you have the freedom to do almost whatever you want. As a manager you have freedom over most aspects of your store if you choose to use it.

ConsAnyone who works above store level is far too out of touch with what happens on a day to day basis. Constantly getting hours cut to help improve the bottom line. Managers and Assistants are required to pick up the slack with getting the tasks done, but then are reprimanded for not spending enough time being an "office manager."

Advice to Senior ManagementAll Support staff should have to spend one day in the store each month, so they realize what impact their demands are causing. All they ever do is sit around in meetings, and then tell us how we're doing our jobs wrong. How can you say I'm doing my job wrong when you couldn't do it yourself?

Tired of not being recognized!

Shift Supervisor B (Current Employee) Leesville, LA

ProsI do like my store, but it is hard for me to keep coming back when all that I do goes unnoticed and gets undermined on a daily basis because "I AM YOUNG" and "I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RETAIL" I work with all women in their 40s and they have all worked in retail their whole lives, when I am 20 year old male and have worked in retail since I was 16 and I have a year of business management school and experience in my background. I am tired of getting undermined! When I do something or recommend something, it is never right, or good enough. I want to work for people who acknowledge me and value what a great asset they have. Don't even get me started about the DM. He is a piece of work that's for sure.

ConsNearly everything that I listed in the PROS were CONS.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to recognize other people than yourselves! You don't do EVERYTHING! You have a very strong lead directly below you that carries most for the weight of the store and you don't realize it unless it goes undone!

Rewarding in growth opportunities, terrible in pay and employee relations.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

Pros- There was so much opportunity and room for growth at CVS. I started there as a cashier and ended as a store manager, if you want it CVS is more than happy to give it to you.
    - Plenty of open opportunities in front store, pharmacy and corporate allowing a lot of freedom to move and experience the company as a whole.
    - In the last several years I worked there they really changed and only promoted to higher positions from within the company. At one point they would just hire managers off the street and pay them insanely more than the other managers who had worked there for years.
    - VERY flexible with hours, more so than any other employer I have ever heard of
    - They take the 40 hour work week (except for store managers and up) very seriously and are always making sure that employees are receiving their breaks
    - It seems obvious with CVS being a PBM but the benefits for full-time employees were fantastic.
    - Always developing and implementing new systems that have a competitive edge over competitors.

Cons- Pay Pay Pay! They expect you to start your cashiers out at Minimum wage! and once they screw you in the beginning there is no rescue! The yearly increases are PATHETIC (2%)!! the only real way to get any extra is to get promoted (6%) and even then they'll try to screw you out of pay. When you hit store management they try to screw you again and use your bonus (which isn't guaranteed) as a reason to offer you lower salary. I get that its a decision from MUCH higher up the ladder than retail management but they expect people to work hard and living/breath CVS while paying them total crap compared to other places which have you do less for more.
    - They don't really give a crap about how their employees feel about working there. They set up a good front with the yearly employee satisfaction survey and they do indeed implement new programs each year based on the results (which are available to ALL employees). Somehow they fail every year to address the real issues with working there, the SAME 3 or 4 questions have been the worst rated questions for YEARS and NOTHING has been done to address them. Instead they try to distract you with stupid things like letting staff decorate their break rooms and new helpful system on the Telxons for doing tedious tasks like push. Your voices are being heard, corporate just has selective hearing.
    - Every try to cram 10 pounds of crap into a 2 pound bag? CVS does every day. Unless your store is bringing in SERIOUS cash flow you get the joyous status of "minimum hours store" (which is almost everybody). Unless you have an all star staff (good luck getting that with the pay rates they allow) you're pretty much going to spend 50 hours a week or more at your store to get everything done on time and properly, oh and you're only going to get paid for 45 of those hours... ever. If I got paid for the hours I was expected to work over 45 in all my time as a store manager that job would be totally worth it.
    - Corporate will make all sorts of promises to you to get you to something undesirable. Word of advice, get that crap in writing and signed by you both. Corporate has to be the most epic liar I have ever known and if you don't have that written proof they are going to turn around and slap you in the face with it.
    - Think long and hard before taking on any kind of real challenge. Once you accept it, you're stuck there. If you lose the challenge you lose your job. As I said before make sure you have a written and signed plan of action for such an instance. After 9 years of loyal and dedicated service to CVS and proven ability to successfully manage stores and people they were just fine to throw me out after not being able to recover a store which would have been better off being burned and rebuilt.

Advice to Senior Management- Don't make promises you can't deliver on.
    - If you put someone into a position who isn't ready because none of the other people who work for you are willing to do it don't act shocked when it doesn't work out as expected.
    - Don't let great long time employees go because of your failure to properly manage your people and business.
    - Watch the favoritism. I was lucky to always be on the favorite side but watching the way some of the less fortunate managers were treated was bad many times.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!