CVS Caremark

CVS Caremark Reviews in Detroit, MI

Updated Jul 11, 2014

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say(in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees, flexible schedules around school(in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees(in 143 reviews)

• that isn't a bad thing from a customer service standpoint but it can be stressful(in 129 reviews)

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CVS- Okay job but do not plan to stay.

Cashier Sales Associate (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe flexibility of the schedule.

ConsLack of extra employees due to high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing really.

Good place to work then it went downhill.

Retail Drug Store Manager (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsPay was good and benefits.

ConsToo many tasks to do with no help too many budget cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to pay attention to your people more.

Going downhill

Shift Supervisor A (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe reasons that are good to work for this company... i cant think of any anymore.

ConsThe company will work you to death. They dont care about their employees at all. They cut hours tremendously and expect you to do the job of 2+ people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise against it but if you're ever so inclined... Good Luck!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsIts a job. The people you work with are very nice and are hard workers.

ConsThe company severely under staffs the stores and needs to work very very very quickly to eliminate unnecessary tasks so that managers are free to actually help the customer and try to complete the unrealistic expectations of overwhelming ad set,menial tasks and planogram changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKill menial tasks for management these consist of verifying deposits after they have been entered. Having associates sign off on checks, amount of signs and items on sale weekly. Outdates process extra reports from loss prevention. Amount and timing of planogram resets. P&l response items and viewing should be limited to actual store controllable items. too much info spending too much time on unnecessary tasks.

in my years of working with cvs, it was a good a company to work for until new personnel did not make good decisions.

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

Prosflexibility with schedule
    job is not strenuous or does not need a lot physical

Consno good advance opportunities for women of color
    Benefits were terrible
    no good salary benefits

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to employees
    in order to have good customer satisfaction employees have to be happy also

Probably the biggest employment mistake I have made.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsIt is a short, sad drive to work, but a short happy drive home.

ConsI am shift manager with much retail experience, including big box management. I took the position as I work through school after a former employer refused to allow time to go to school. I have nearly two years as a shift supervisor.

There is increased micro management from district level up, and yet there is no accountability of store managers to corporate beyond the numbers to the bottom line.

CVS preaches respect to the individual employee, but it is sorely lacking. In my store and two stores near me there have been harassment complaints made, including sexual. In one case, the manager was given a month off for a "medical" leave, and the complainant was transferred to another store upon his return.

I have processed payroll for the store manager, part of of my duties, and seen days off taken without vacation pay or sick time used, and full pay received, twice. Everywhere I have worked, theft of company time is usually a termination offense. Yet although the first report was nearly three months ago (and again three weeks ago), no action has been taken.

This same manager has had two "no call, no shows" for work in the past 18 months, one forced leave of absence following a verified harassment complaint, and still remains. And these type of problems persist. And when you are called in to cover his no shows, you are given another day off so as not to generate overtime.

While the district and regional manager are aware of this, there is no obvious interest in resolution.

Other problems persist, but there is not room to list them. Topics would include constantly cut budgets even in stores that generate profits, constant efforts to reduce operational costs, and labor law violations that include transporting deposits to the bank on your way home. (Labor laws state this is an OK practice for salaried employees, but not for hourly employees. Wal-Mart has paid heavy penalties for these violations, as evidenced by news reports and class action lawsuits.)

Advice to Senior ManagementRead and learn from the Sam Walton autobiography. While most people don't seem to value the Wal-Mart world and even criticize it, sometimes deservedly, he managed to build an empire on some pretty basic principles.

District Manager

District Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsSalary is very competitive with other retail companies

Consworkload is out of control. Creating stress and job insecurity

Advice to Senior Managementstay away

District Sales Manager

District Sales Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsLarge corporation with relocation possibilities

Conswork load is unattainable. Giving you the feeling of failure daily

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your good people

great

Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

Prosvery greate to work there

Consmanagement sucks they like to take orders

I am over it

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsDiscounts on merchendise. I guess depends who does it but flexiable schedule.

ConsGetting a break during work? whats that? You work 8-9 hours a day and you don't get to rest or eat. Barely any training. Expected to do the job or 2-3 people. Stressful stressful job. I read reviews before I started and just thought they were lazy peolpe complaining. I have helped out at 4 different stores besides my own, its the SAME. Take the reviews seriously if your thinking of becoming a pharmacy tech. Im counting the days until I can put in my two weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain properly. Yeah we don't clock out for breaks, but acually make sure we GET A BREAK.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!