CVS Caremark

2,954 Reviews

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,044 Ratings

Pros
  • Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees, flexible schedules around school (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 145 reviews)

• that isn't a bad thing from a customer service standpoint but it can be stressful (in 130 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent starter

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Good exposure to people.
    Good first/early job.

Cons

Monotonous, not really much going on.

Too Out of touch

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager  in  Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

Pros

If you're doing your job competently, you have the freedom to do almost whatever you want. As a manager you have freedom over most aspects of your store if you choose to use it.

Cons

Anyone who works above store level is far too out of touch with what happens on a day to day basis. Constantly getting hours cut to help improve the bottom line. Managers and Assistants are required to pick up the slack with getting the tasks done, but then are reprimanded for not spending enough time being an "office manager."

All Support staff should have to spend one day in the store each month, so they realize what impact their demands are causing. All they ever do is sit around in meetings, and then tell us how we're doing our jobs wrong. How can you say I'm doing my job wrong when you couldn't do it yourself?

Shift Supervisior

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Phila, PA

Pros

Good hrs, okay pay, great employees

Cons

Managers should pay attention more to people that they hire. A lot of them don't care about the job and the people who care have to pick up their slack.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pharmacist

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Abington, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Abington, PA

Pros

Flexible moving you i guess

Cons

Work long hours and expect you to keep doing all of their corporate stuff too

Hard work, no breaks, Pharmacy

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

I really enjoyed the work I did, it was fast paced.

Cons

Breaks are non existent. As a pharmacy employee you basically are running around all day doing everything.

While I enjoyed working with CVS I will say that the pharmacy technicians are underpaid. I think more money and more breaks would go a long way.

A good experience

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B  in  Glassboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Glassboro, NJ

Pros

Everyone I worked with was nice and were fun to work with.

Cons

There were never enough hours to complete the jobs that were asked of us.

Give more positive feedback.

High turn-over and under staffed

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Browns Mills, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Browns Mills, NJ

Pros

The people you work with are great. There are times that you can really help people.

Cons

Severily under staffed. I became a manager 5 years ago and since then have lost a quarter of my staffing budget per dollar earned. The workload continues to increase with the addition of tasks that do not relate directly to the operation of the business. My district of 20 stores has lost 8 store managers in the past 9 months. A few these managers had over fifteen years of success with the company and were still strong managers. The company obsesses over numbers. The problem occurs when metrics are not budgeted accurately and then managers are held to an impossible standard.

Add staffing to the stores immediately, and listen to the voice of your managers they run your business a little respect for our knowledge would go a long way to lasting success.

Great company, but managers = too many hours, non manager = never enough hours.

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great company to work for, the store I work for has a crew of very friendly co-workers, and my managers are great people. The hours are decent, and if you want more, there's usually someone who will want to give you their hours, since most of them are just teens needing some extra bucks (get it? :P)

Cons

"flexible" schedules = random schedules, if you're able to get a normal, 9-5 Mon-Fri job here, you should play the lottery, because you are VERY lucky. other cons are, if there is a second cashier besides you working at the same time, you'll be expected to do other odds-and-ends, such as facing the store, condensing displays, etc. That's all well and good to me, but it gets very annoying getting called up (literally) ever 5-10 minutes, as our company has a policy where if there are more than 3 people in line, you need to call another cashier up to ring people out, and in a very busy store, it can get very frustrating.

For district managers -- Give your stores more hours, seriously. I understand the company is trying to cut costs and save money, but giving your stores more hours will help a lot with that.

underpaid, overworked, customers are disgusting and stupid

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Southampton, PA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Southampton, PA

Pros

depends on location, some areas have better customers

Cons

Terrible training, meaning almost none. Customers are rude and yell at techs for things that we don't control (how much their prescriptions cost, insurance, etc.). Middle aged working class people do not know how insurance works and demand that the pharmacy call their insurance for them. Feels like an unsafe environment, especially with unstable customers. Breaks are almost nonexistent (barely enough time to use the bathroom). Unrealistic expectations from both management and customers. Go work at mcdonalds, less responsibility, less stress and you get paid the same amount.

Originally applied as a cashier in the pharmacy, but was offered Pharm. Tech.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Glassboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Glassboro, NJ

Pros

Great training structure. Gave all the resources to feel confident and competent in the workplace.

Cons

Not much room for promotions in the pharmacy unless planning to go to school for that career. Worked part-time while going to school- hard to be flexible with schedule.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!