CVS Caremark

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Shift Supervisior

Shift Supervisor A (Current Employee)
    Phila, PA

ProsGood hrs, okay pay, great employees

ConsManagers should pay attention more to people that they hire. A lot of them don't care about the job and the people who care have to pick up their slack.

Pharmacist

Pharmacist (Current Employee)
    Abington, PA

ProsFlexible moving you i guess

ConsWork long hours and expect you to keep doing all of their corporate stuff too

Hard work, no breaks, Pharmacy

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsI really enjoyed the work I did, it was fast paced.

ConsBreaks are non existent. As a pharmacy employee you basically are running around all day doing everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I enjoyed working with CVS I will say that the pharmacy technicians are underpaid. I think more money and more breaks would go a long way.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good experience

Shift Supervisor B (Current Employee)
    Glassboro, NJ

ProsEveryone I worked with was nice and were fun to work with.

ConsThere were never enough hours to complete the jobs that were asked of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more positive feedback.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

High turn-over and under staffed

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Browns Mills, NJ

ProsThe people you work with are great. There are times that you can really help people.

ConsSeverily under staffed. I became a manager 5 years ago and since then have lost a quarter of my staffing budget per dollar earned. The workload continues to increase with the addition of tasks that do not relate directly to the operation of the business. My district of 20 stores has lost 8 store managers in the past 9 months. A few these managers had over fifteen years of success with the company and were still strong managers. The company obsesses over numbers. The problem occurs when metrics are not budgeted accurately and then managers are held to an impossible standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd staffing to the stores immediately, and listen to the voice of your managers they run your business a little respect for our knowledge would go a long way to lasting success.

Great company, but managers = too many hours, non manager = never enough hours.

Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat company to work for, the store I work for has a crew of very friendly co-workers, and my managers are great people. The hours are decent, and if you want more, there's usually someone who will want to give you their hours, since most of them are just teens needing some extra bucks (get it? :P)

Cons"flexible" schedules = random schedules, if you're able to get a normal, 9-5 Mon-Fri job here, you should play the lottery, because you are VERY lucky. other cons are, if there is a second cashier besides you working at the same time, you'll be expected to do other odds-and-ends, such as facing the store, condensing displays, etc. That's all well and good to me, but it gets very annoying getting called up (literally) ever 5-10 minutes, as our company has a policy where if there are more than 3 people in line, you need to call another cashier up to ring people out, and in a very busy store, it can get very frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor district managers -- Give your stores more hours, seriously. I understand the company is trying to cut costs and save money, but giving your stores more hours will help a lot with that.

underpaid, overworked, customers are disgusting and stupid

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)
    Southampton, PA

Prosdepends on location, some areas have better customers

ConsTerrible training, meaning almost none. Customers are rude and yell at techs for things that we don't control (how much their prescriptions cost, insurance, etc.). Middle aged working class people do not know how insurance works and demand that the pharmacy call their insurance for them. Feels like an unsafe environment, especially with unstable customers. Breaks are almost nonexistent (barely enough time to use the bathroom). Unrealistic expectations from both management and customers. Go work at mcdonalds, less responsibility, less stress and you get paid the same amount.

Originally applied as a cashier in the pharmacy, but was offered Pharm. Tech.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Glassboro, NJ

ProsGreat training structure. Gave all the resources to feel confident and competent in the workplace.

ConsNot much room for promotions in the pharmacy unless planning to go to school for that career. Worked part-time while going to school- hard to be flexible with schedule.

terrible place to work

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

Prosthere are no pro's working for this company as a career move

Consno life/work balance and lack of customer service

Advice to Senior Managementallow for more than 2 people per shift expand on your labor constrictions and get focussed on customer service

CVS IS HELL

Shift Supervisor B (Former Employee)
    Blue Bell, PA

ProsThere was absolutely nothing good about this job.

ConsWhere to start. They give the worst discount, customers as well as other employees treat you like dirt. The ALL talk about you behind your back, and yes this includes management. Its a complete joke when it comes to pay and getting a raise. They expect you to go far and beyond normal expectations for any retail store. and the best part is they pay you sh*t money. There is no room to advance and the hours are just a joke. You always get the crappy hours when you're the least liked one of the group. I haven't seen or heard so much drama and trash talking since high school. Corporate makes it seem like the best company to work for when in fact it is the absolute WORST! Managers mess around with other employees( I've seen with my own eyes) and corporate just turns a cheek, as they do when management or other employees treat a cashier like crap.
    my advice to you. When you see that CVS is hiring online. KEEP SCROLLING!!!! Not worth your time being stuck in a sub-par job with a crappy environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI always heard you complain about work not being done, and always throwing someone under the bus. Here's a little advice. STOP COMPLAINING AND DO YOUR JOB. and one more thing. You have young teenagers working for you. How about you treat them with a little respect. That is, if your mother taught to that.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!

CVS Caremark – Why Work for Us?

Our Company CVS Caremark is a pharmacy innovation company that is reinventing pharmacy for better health. We are continuously developing new ways to improve access for patients, promote better health outcomes and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CVS Caremark reviews and ratings in Philadelphia, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CVS Caremark CEO Larry J. Merlo. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by CVS Caremark employees.