CVS Caremark

Updated Jun 2, 2014

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You will make a lot of money, but it is the most stressful job you can have.

Pharmacist (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsThey pay you very well. They have a great 401k and employee stock purchase plan. They offer some really great benefits. Advancement is very attainable.

ConsThey will squeeze every possible minute of work out of you. You are expected to work an extra 5+ hours (I put in about 10-20) each week without pay. They will not give you sufficient help. It is near impossible to get your vacation approved without giving them something else in return. Their grading system on store metrics is very harsh.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more tech help. They are not very expensive and they are the backbone and face of the pharmacy. Majority of tasks and customer interactions happen with them. In order to better serve the customer, it is imperative that we have an ample amount of tech help. Just 1 extra tech throughout the day would increase service exponentially. Also the grading for a customer survey is flawed. A 4 should not count against your score. I for one only answer 4 on surveys if the service was exceptional. After all, when you do performance reviews, how often do you give outstanding performer? Because that is a 5 and they are 1 in a million.

Another Day in Paradise

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsGood benefits if you can get full time status, decent perks and training, widely spread over many markets, ok job security

ConsLong hours, lowest pay grades of any major pharmacy chain, terribly overblown "do more with less philosophy", mentally taxing and repetitive

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay pharmacy employees a better rate, sub $10/hr pay for licensed, multi-year experienced techs is a huge downfall.

Good Company to work for great benefits.

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsThe rate of pay was 13.00 AS A PHARMACY TECH NOT CERTIFIED.

ConsThere was no overtime offered.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Flexible , but they care more for their $$$ than their employees

Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours
    Other employees are super nice
    Lots of people from very diverse background
    They pay for your certification after 6 months on the job

ConsMinimum wage
    Only part-time
    Even with hours available they want you to work less time and triple the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you pay better and treat your employees nice instead of wanting to squeeze the life out of them , you would really decrease the super turn over rate

Decent company, but it's still Retail.

Shift Supervisor A (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule
    Good Benefits Packages
    Competitive Pay
    Strong, stable company
    Fairly good job security if you want to stick around
    Get to meet all kinds of interesting people

ConsLittle personality allowed
    Friendships with co-workers are generally discouraged
    Skeleton crew payroll budgets. Makes it nearly impossible to accomplish necessary tasks without burning out management crew.
    Inconsistent schedules make seeing friends and family difficult, especially if they don't live nearby
    Advancement options are few and far between, especially if you don't want to stay in Retail Management
    Communication of new programs are often vague.
    Local DM prefers to transfer in existing Store Managers regardless of their track records as opposed to giving opportunities to local supervisors that have done exemplary jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication with employees. Offer more options for advancement within the company. Give stores more payroll. 2 employees (one clerk and one manager/supervisor) is simply not enough staff to get the job done.

Good Atmosphere, Bad Pay

Shift Supervisor A (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsThe atmosphere in the store is that of a family. I really appreciate how flexible the scheduling is. It was easy to get time off when I needed it. Everything in the store is on a schedule, from getting in merchandise to when it is time to reset a planogram, so the work is very predictable, and the more interesting tasks are for managers or shifts to do, which is a plus. Cashiering was only necessary for register backup or when someone was at lunch.

ConsThe raises suck - don't expect to get much at all since they are not truly based on merit like some companies. There are not enough hours in the store to complete all of the tasks that are necessary for day to day operations, let alone the extra projects like planograms. The most time consuming projects had to be completed by the store manager just to make sure our store did not fall behind. The company will always stand up for the customers instead of the employees, making it difficult to do anything about people who shop and abuse the system. Instead, when a customer service issue arose, I was trained to throw money at the customer just to stop a complaint even when the customer was wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementCVS makes a profit every single year. Every year we build a lot of new stores. Instead of focusing on how much of a profit we make, it is necessary instead to push some of that money back into the system, allowing CVS to offer more money to cashiers, shifts, and managers, who do more work than they get paid for on a daily basis. The stress of being too many things in one job leads to high turnover, so no one in a store is ever 100% trained in anything.

If this is your only job, you will be working from pay check to pay.

Raleigh, NC

ProsProfessional growth, customer care and Training for Certification.

ConsAppreciation, Community Outreach, Pay & Retention

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on Relationship Management and Have Integrity to Prevent People from Leaving

Good Company

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat, solid company! Like working for them.

ConsNothing on CVS, just the store I work at. Men in the pharmacy must wear ties.. Not fair to men, that don't get paid a whole lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the ones that don't show up to work.. It's not fair for the rest of us.. Don't make men dress in suits and the women don't have to wear anything. Go back to standard CVS shirts in the pharmacy.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!

CVS Caremark – Why Work for Us?

Our Company CVS Caremark is a pharmacy innovation company that is reinventing pharmacy for better health. We are continuously developing new ways to improve access for patients, promote better health outcomes and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CVS Caremark reviews and ratings in Raleigh, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CVS Caremark CEO Larry J. Merlo. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by CVS Caremark employees.