CVS Caremark

2.7 2,706 reviews

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

2,706 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "If you are full time they do offer good benefits"
    in 87 reviews
  • "Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say"
    in 84 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management only "crawls out from under their rock" in one of their many "crises""
    in 136 reviews
  • "Also have to answer customer service calls even though has nothing to do with our job"
    in 116 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I don't get paid enough for this

Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe comraderie, and some of the benefits (vacation time, 401k match)

ConsThe pay scale. The amount of work on the amount of man hours.

Learned a lot at CVS Caremark

Pharmacist Intern (Former Employee)

ProsCVS is a successful company and you could see why through the training they provide. They offer very thorough training and I learned a lot through the required training modules they regularly provide. They had a great program for pharmacist interns in my area to ensure that we were getting adequately trained each year while I was in pharmacy school. They basically train you so that by the time you graduate you will be able to successfully transition into becoming a pharmacist and be able to run the pharmacy yourself. We were also given a raise every year.

ConsThe only problem i had was that we were understaffed at times. This was very stressful especially since we were a busy pharmacy. They also eventually cut my hours so I was not working as often as I would have liked to.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to ensure that the pharmacists and pharmacy managers are actually teaching pharmacist interns, rather than just treating them like pharmacy technicians and using them only for labor.

great

Boston, MA

ProsIn my position I am able to utilize my skills and expertise to help customers and fellow coworkers. Been with the company for a few years and recently began having more conference calls, visits from corporate and vendor brands to maximize regional business potential. I feel incredibly luck to have a great team of coworkers and managers in my store who always communicate well with each other and work together like a real team should.

Consthe company could improve their communication with us in the stores. Sometimes we don't get necessary information as often as we need depending on the circumstances.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was ok.

ProsTraining was paid and easy.

ConsNot that much room for growth.

CVS Pharmacy - Not so well oiled machine.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsFrom my experience and those of people I know, it is fairly easy to get hired here. As a college grad with no job experience looking to get into the medical field, you can't do much better than to start here. Busier pharmacies are looking for a hot body to stick in front of the register or at the drive-thru, you can basically be a Neanderthal. Pay rate is decent. Scheduling is generally very flexible, especially if you work at a 24-hour pharmacy. Working in a 'team' environment is helpful when it comes time to ask questions or pass off a problem. Some coworkers can be great to work with, which helps since you are literally in the same small room together for hours each day. Meeting and developing relationships with patients is often rewarding.

ConsYou'll be lucky to get 10-15 hours per week starting out. Definitely not a job to live on. Most of my coworkers are students or have another job. CVS likes to think its training program is extensive and puts an emphasis on customer service. Basically, to become a 'pharmacy technician trainee', you will attend several classes which are glorified lectures where packets of information are drilled into you to be regurgitated on online quizzes and then promptly forgotten until you're actually on the job where you will learn 90% of what you need to do your job. The learning curve is steep and the stress is high. I've seen many people quit within the first month. Dealing with difficult patients can be a struggle. One coworker told me she used to go home crying regularly. Some pharmacists can be condescending and downright disrespectful. Great practice for going into the medical field, but not so fun if you're just doing it as a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom what I've seen and heard management mainly cares about the bottom line, which is number of scripts filled and money earned. Surprise surprise. They send down ludicrous policies that are so out of touch with the reality of retail pharmacy they may as well have been drafted up by Martians. Hour wait times for rebills? Zero tolerance for wait times over 15 minutes? Three uses of a customer's name per interaction? Give me a break. Maybe our customer service scores are in the toilet because people hate to be confronted with anything other than stellar outcomes and instant gratification. In a perfect world, insurances would never ask for prior auths and obvious addicts could just go ahead and pick up that Oxycontin script two weeks early. Wearing a name tag that says I Can Help! and using someone's name five times isn't going to magically make people stop being cantankerous.

It was Okay

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGood company, good hours, the store was always clean. Coworkers were very helpful in teaching me everything I needed to know.

ConsBad pay, late shifts, had to work int he pharmacy sometimes even though I was not qualified.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

CVS/Caremark is bottom line driven with little concern for It's employees and run like a factory.

Pharmacist (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe pay and benefits are good .

ConsPharmacists are overworked, especially as the bottom line concern has resulted in cutting technician hours, less time for consulting with patients and adding responsibilities such as immunizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating Pharmacy and your Pharmacists as the healthcare professionals you like to advertise to your patients.

Communication Could be Better

ProsI enjoy the people that I work with; the pay is good and the commute is good - not too much traffic. The employee discount is one of the best benefits.

ConsMost communication is very one-sided - orders from those in charge. There is little opportunity to give feedback and feedback is usually ignored.

Good Entry Level Position

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsNice working environment, ample training, friendly employees

ConsCan get very busy at times in the pharmacy, full time takes a while to attain

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hours for pharmacy staff to reduce workload

unreasonable expectations with lack of support

CVS Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Canton, MI

ProsReputation and market position as leader in Rx retail segment. Learnnet is a satisfactory learning and educational tool.

ConsLack of management support. Constant unfavorable realignment of budget expectations, while performance continues to improve and bottom line increases. Conflicting support of core initiatives, want us to provide the highest level of customer service, while reducing payroll hours. Disservice to employees who dedicate their lives to the success of this company, no real recognition or appreciation from mid through senior level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a genuine effort to recognize performing stores/pharmacies with additional payroll and recognition. Stop reducing payroll in high volume store environments, you have succeeded in squeezing blood from the stone.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!

CVS Caremark – Why Work for Us?

Our Company CVS Caremark is a pharmacy innovation company that is reinventing pharmacy for better health. We are continuously developing new ways to improve access for patients, promote better health outcomes and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CVS Caremark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CVS Caremark CEO Larry J. Merlo. All 2,706 reviews posted anonymously by CVS Caremark employees.