CVS Caremark

2,964 Reviews

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,049 Ratings

Pros
  • Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees, flexible schedules around school (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 145 reviews)

• that isn't a bad thing from a customer service standpoint but it can be stressful (in 130 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Brandon, FL

Pros

The pay is good and the 401k is also good. Bonus can be good and insurance is OK.

Cons

No payroll to support stores. Many store are often staffed with only one cashier and a manager - when the cashier goes on lunch it's only the manager on duty.

Put the needed payroll in the stores to support customer service - sales and workload.

Excellent Experience For Experienced Store Managers

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Owensboro, KY

Pros

Great opportunity for experienced SM's to arrive in the field of medicine.

Cons

A large amt. of metrics is involved.

Push forward!

great work place environment

Pros

great job loved it man

Cons

benefits could be much better

gain more knowledge you fools

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Former Employee - Head Cashier  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Washington, DC

Pros

Benefits. Busy job. Never the same thing. Good rewards. Customer Service experience. Builds great relationships with employees as well as customers.

Cons

Unorganized, Short on staff, Long Hours, Multiple jobs (and not compensated). Annoying tests/surveys/quarterly reports that need to be filled out constantly.

Its hard when we're short staffed. Also, bonuses would be good for all employees and not just

I am a person that loves to use what I learn

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Manassas, VA

Pros

I am a person that loves to use what I learn. I am an older worker. my kids are grown and doing well, so I have nothing else to do. The training is EXCELLENT if you like professionalism. They are somewhat flexible on scheduling.

Cons

They pay for training but it takes me alot longer to go through the online modules than they pay for.
    I have to really learn this stuff because I use it daily.

Pay for more time on the online training modules if you want us to really learn and internalize the information.

Interesting first job

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier  in  Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Westwood, MA

Pros

easy to obtain job. pretty flexible with hours.

Cons

Managers and assistant managers constantly switched or quit without much notice.

Stability is key

Not horrible, not great

Former Employee - Clerk/Cashier  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Clerk/Cashier in New York, NY

Pros

My manager was always really nice to me though I heard about a few occasions where they weren't so nice to others. Most of my coworkers were awesome. The hours weren't too bad except when they asked you to stay later. Nice customers are rewarding, especially when they're sincere with their thanks. Packing out the shelves was my favorite part.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage. Enough said.

Every few weeks, my manager would put off making the schedule until the actual week that it was for. We had to call in almost everyday to see if we were working the next day because the schedule wasn't posted- it was still being made. Plans weren't an option those weeks.

On a couple of occasions, my store manager scheduled three people for one shift: one at the register, one covering the ACOs, and a manager who, more often than not, hid in the office and ignored our pages for overrides/customer service/photo/backup until we specifically said their name. Nobody was on the floor. You can imagine our scores and how we got lectured about them when it was nobody's fault except the person doing the lecturing.

Handling rude customers is not my strong suit. I'm not one to roll over while being berated by someone 3x my age. I understand that customer service is the focal point of CVS but I don't get paid enough to deal with people harassing me over a $0.25 coupon that didn't go through because they bought the wrong item.

Our store was suffering a lot of losses so someone had to stand at the door at all times and greet people unless an ACO needed some troubleshooting. Customers would come in and ask us where something was and instead of, "walking them to the item," like we'd been told to do so many times, we either had to give them directions or page someone (if we had enough people on staff at the moment, that is). I literally LOATHED this position. The time went by so slowly and I felt absolutely useless. I had a lot of time to think while standing there doing absolutely nothing and I realized that if I was actually valued as an employee, I wouldn't have been standing there twiddling my thumbs and would have been working productively elsewhere in the store- not as some makeshift LP.

Use mySchedule- make the schedule 3 weeks in advance. Schedule more people per shift. Hire full time security.

Customer focus but Lacks help

Current Employee - RPH  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - RPH in New York, NY

Pros

Very customer focus, good team

Cons

Cutting hours for techs so no help, too much metrics and paper work in everything

Don't cut hours if you want great customer service

Too many metrics = Can't ever win.

Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist

Pros

Some pros include that it is a large corporation that has many great employee benefits (401k matching, employee stock purchase plan, many locations, transfer most places in the US).

Cons

There are so many metrics that you are held accountable for, it often feels as if you are spinning plates and hoping that they all don't fall and crash. Unfortunately, regardless how positive you start your day or how hard or how efficient you are, you will inevitably fail at meeting all of the ridiculous metrics. No real opportunity for advancement. They expect you to be at the store and/or at meetings 10-20+ hours over your base without compensation or extra pay because you are "salaried".

Slim the metrics down and only have the stores focus on a few key ones. It takes away sense of desire to achieve results when no matter how hard you work you are unable to maintain all of the metrics (over 30) per day at or above target. No matter how well you do in one area, there is always demand from leadership to "Do better" when an arbitrary metric is not met (despite all others being met).

CVS is the most friendly and comfortable place to work

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor A  in  Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Yonkers, NY

Pros

The sense of family and atmosphere is the best part of cvs

Cons

The room for growth is very limited.

Try to reward employees based on there work ethnic and not popularity

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!