CVS Caremark

2.7 2,360 reviews

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

2,360 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They have some good benefits for full time employees"
    in 83 reviews
  • "Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say"
    in 78 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management decreases payroll every year and always asks you to do more with less"
    in 119 reviews
  • "It was difficult to meet customer service standards without adequate staffing"
    in 103 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pharmacy technician for over 20 years. Job stability

I have been working at CVS Caremark

ProsThere are stores all over the US--so if you move chances are you can transfer! One of the biggest chains= stability. If you are full time they do offer good benefits. Time n a half pay for holidays and Sundays.

ConsNot enough help (budgeted hrs) for the work load, pay could be better, they don't appreciate the knowledge long time employees bring into play each day. They'd rather have more new, part-time employees they can pay less $$.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your stores more hours --compensate loyal employees who are knowledgeable, that work diligently to train new employees, and show up every day.

Worked as a pharmacy technician for 2 years

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at CVS Caremark part-time for more than a year

ProsThey hold themselves to their standards and metrics very strictly. Place was always kept incredibly clean, customer service and experience was the priority along with accuracy of prescriptions. As employees we were eager to sort out insurance issues with as little hassle as possible for the customer. Decent starting pay for an entry level hourly job (lead tech is the next level up). Management seemed flexible with scheduling, working around class, other obligations.

ConsAs an employee you are just a number in many ways, especially for the regional managers and corporate. While I was working there, they changed their workflow system in a way that made it more cumbersome for employees to do the same amount of work that was done with the previous system. Yet, they expected work to be done ever faster. Customers are not expected to wait at all, despite the pharmacy staff routinely being understaffed due to high turnover and insufficient hiring. If you work in even a somewhat populated area, there will be little downtime and you will work tirelessly between their constant drive-thru, in store customers, and repetitive phone calls of customers asking if their prescriptions are ready even though they receive a text alert anyway. They waste paper like I have never seen before. The pharmacists loved doling out health advice but were themselves some of the unhealthiest people I had ever met. Don't expect much in the way of raises despite more responsibilities continually being put on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat you employees better and hire more people to keep up with your volume. People aren't robots unfortunately.

It was a great high school job

Customer Service (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at CVS Caremark part-time for more than 3 years

Pros-making friends
-mindless work
-time went by fast
-good pay for a high schooler
-plan schedule

Cons-boring
-late hours
-no growth in the company unless you want to be a manager for the rest of your life

Originally applied as a cashier in the pharmacy, but was offered Pharm. Tech.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
Glassboro, NJ

I have been working at CVS Caremark part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat training structure. Gave all the resources to feel confident and competent in the workplace.

ConsNot much room for promotions in the pharmacy unless planning to go to school for that career. Worked part-time while going to school- hard to be flexible with schedule.

Good Part Time

Shift Supervisor B (Current Employee)

I have been working at CVS Caremark part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible hours, career advancement and easily are able to move to other stores if you need to relocate. Big plus for college students

Conslower pay, not enough resources so work is constant rude customers but that is not CVS' fault. Be Nice people!

A changing company

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at CVS Caremark full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLarge national company with lots of potential to move up. If you're willing to work hard and put in the time, you can make it to a management position.

ConsThe comp[any has changed a lot. They have dramatically cut hours for staff, while increasing workload for management. Very little support from field management.

You need to be cloned to work for this company

Cashier (Current Employee)
Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at CVS Caremark part-time for more than 3 years

ProsClimb the ladder get paid good. Good benefits,employee discount,nice co-workers,nice vacation time,sick days and personal holidays

Consa lot of multi tasking and being asked to do more. Not enough help. You are ask to do too many things at once by different people. No one knows what the other supervisor or manager asked you to do. The last person who gave you orders wants the job done now,not in the order or importance of task. Dirty jobs ex: cleaning out the public trash cans outside of store,cleaning dog poo of the floor ( YES THEY ALLOW DOGS IN THE STORE) which is a no no unless it is a service dog.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your crap together and get more help at the times it is required. Don't have lazy upper management/supervisors. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians Get outside help to clean bathrooms,dog poo and the outside garbage.

QA Consultant

Quality Assurance Consultant (Current Employee)
Richardson, TX

I have been working at CVS Caremark full-time for less than a year

ProsScope for learning
Lot of QA opportunities

ConsNo space for employee to sit

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand the employee cubicle

good place to work

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
Kernersville, NC

I have been working at CVS Caremark part-time for less than a year

Prosflexible schedule, growth and advancement opportunities available, continuous training to keep you learning and up to date.

ConsDon't seem to have any so far.

Advice to Senior Managementits fine

Pharmacy Tech

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CVS Caremark full-time for more than a year

ProsFast pace work environment, learn great people skills, learn new things daily.

ConsPay is not that great and our management was not the best.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!

CVS Caremark – Why Work for Us?

Our Company CVS Caremark is a pharmacy innovation company that is reinventing pharmacy for better health. We are continuously developing new ways to improve access for patients, promote better health outcomes and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CVS Caremark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CVS Caremark CEO Larry J. Merlo. All 2,360 reviews posted anonymously by CVS Caremark employees.