CVS Caremark

2.7 2,350 reviews

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

2,350 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They have some good benefits for full time employees"
    in 83 reviews
  • "Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say"
    in 78 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management decreases payroll every year and always asks you to do more with less"
    in 119 reviews
  • "It was difficult to meet customer service standards without adequate staffing"
    in 103 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pharmacy technician for over 20 years. Job stability

I have been working at CVS Caremark

ProsThere are stores all over the US--so if you move chances are you can transfer! One of the biggest chains= stability. If you are full time they do offer good benefits. Time n a half pay for holidays and Sundays.

ConsNot enough help (budgeted hrs) for the work load, pay could be better, they don't appreciate the knowledge long time employees bring into play each day. They'd rather have more new, part-time employees they can pay less $$.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your stores more hours --compensate loyal employees who are knowledgeable, that work diligently to train new employees, and show up every day.

Originally applied as a cashier in the pharmacy, but was offered Pharm. Tech.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
Glassboro, NJ

I have been working at CVS Caremark part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat training structure. Gave all the resources to feel confident and competent in the workplace.

ConsNot much room for promotions in the pharmacy unless planning to go to school for that career. Worked part-time while going to school- hard to be flexible with schedule.

good place to work

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
Kernersville, NC

I have been working at CVS Caremark part-time for less than a year

Prosflexible schedule, growth and advancement opportunities available, continuous training to keep you learning and up to date.

ConsDon't seem to have any so far.

Advice to Senior Managementits fine

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pharmacy Tech

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CVS Caremark full-time for more than a year

ProsFast pace work environment, learn great people skills, learn new things daily.

ConsPay is not that great and our management was not the best.

CVS Caremark

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CVS Caremark

ProsGood company if you're looking for a big name company to have on your resume.

ConsDepending on which department you work for, you're dealing with an interesting management techniques when it came to contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey wouldn't listen if you tried.

Great people, great environment

Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Former Employee)
Florence, AL

I worked at CVS Caremark part-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly co-workers, competitive pay, challenging work environment

Conssome customer interaction, time-off policies

Pharmacy Technician too much to handle

Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Current Employee)
Superior, WI

I have been working at CVS Caremark full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people to work with as long as they are all trained together and the same way. Great learning experience for being a pharmacy technician. Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say.

ConsVery demanding beyond reason. Anything above general store manager and they don't listen. Hours are cut with work increasing and it's always a fight to keep your head above water. Too much stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the pharmacy technicians happy, not just the pharmacists.

Worked as a pharmacy technician for 2 years

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at CVS Caremark part-time for more than a year

ProsThey hold themselves to their standards and metrics very strictly. Place was always kept incredibly clean, customer service and experience was the priority along with accuracy of prescriptions. As employees we were eager to sort out insurance issues with as little hassle as possible for the customer. Decent starting pay for an entry level hourly job (lead tech is the next level up). Management seemed flexible with scheduling, working around class, other obligations.

ConsAs an employee you are just a number in many ways, especially for the regional managers and corporate. While I was working there, they changed their workflow system in a way that made it more cumbersome for employees to do the same amount of work that was done with the previous system. Yet, they expected work to be done ever faster. Customers are not expected to wait at all, despite the pharmacy staff routinely being understaffed due to high turnover and insufficient hiring. If you work in even a somewhat populated area, there will be little downtime and you will work tirelessly between their constant drive-thru, in store customers, and repetitive phone calls of customers asking if their prescriptions are ready even though they receive a text alert anyway. They waste paper like I have never seen before. The pharmacists loved doling out health advice but were themselves some of the unhealthiest people I had ever met. Don't expect much in the way of raises despite more responsibilities continually being put on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat you employees better and hire more people to keep up with your volume. People aren't robots unfortunately.

Great, fast-paced, work-environment

I have been working at CVS Caremark

ProsLots of room to grow professionally. Let your goals be known.

ConsMust be able to manage all types of patients and find a creative solution to solve situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn regards to pre-emerging leaders give them more information about the program

Okay Company

I have been working at CVS Caremark

ProsSome growth opportunities if you stick around long enough.

ConsPeople aren't always nice. Cut throat.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!

CVS Caremark – Why Work for Us?

Our Company CVS Caremark is a pharmacy innovation company that is reinventing pharmacy for better health. We are continuously developing new ways to improve access for patients, promote better health outcomes and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CVS Caremark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CVS Caremark CEO Larry J. Merlo. All 2,350 reviews posted anonymously by CVS Caremark employees.