CVS Caremark

Updated Jul 20, 2014

2.7 2,764 reviews

CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry J. Merlo

Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say(in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees, flexible schedules around school(in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees(in 143 reviews)

• that isn't a bad thing from a customer service standpoint but it can be stressful(in 129 reviews)

2,764 Employee Reviews

Don't ever work at CVS Pharmacy

ProsSalary, salary, salary, salary, salary

ConsEverything else, money is not worth it, don't be a Pharmacist there.

Great job, bad company

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

ProsEvery store I worked at was like a family at the store level. And most of the customers were great

ConsUpper level management have their heads where the sun doesn't shine, and treat the store employees better

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a customer threatens to kill the entire staff because we asked him for his ID to purchase pseudo ephedrine, we call the cops. You don't allow him to keep getting prescriptions filled there, and make the employees deal with him just because he complained to the president of the company. Support your staff, bc otherwise, one day the customer might just follow through and hurt them. Pay your staff better too: after 14.5 yrs, and no pay raise the last 3yrs, it's not worth it.

how fast the mighty fall

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Woonsocket, RI

Proslooks good on your resume
    providence is a nice city
    as individuals, good people, mostly
    not horrible technology for employees

Consupper management is blind and deaf
    CIO is worthless
    HR is worthless
    your director can lie about you and no one cares

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management? Leave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not highly recommended

District Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsCompetitive salaries for pharmacists and Field Management.

ConsExtremely difficult to move up in the company unless you are a pharmacist. There are salary caps for hourly employees which truly affects long term, loyal employees that cannot get an increase ever again. Once again, this doesn't affect pharmacists. They can get a $2 raise every year and are not capped until over $70 an hour, while as a 15 year employee with a bachelor's degree and working at a District level position, I can't break past $17 an hour. Benefits are virtually nothing. What used to be $10 copay for certain generic drugs is now over $400. Ridiculous. Hours get cut back each year regardless of sales & script growth. New initiatives added about every 3 months that just add to the workload with no hours added. Exhausted employees that feel unappreciated based on salary. Salary=Value and I wish they would understand that before they lose all their competant employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. You can't nickel and dime people and expect the best results. The company is profitable, why not share the wealth? We all know what the CEO makes and we know what our pharmacists make. Store Managers and Lead Techs deserve more. District Trainers and Admins deserve more. How can you have the word District in your title and not even receive a bonus, let alone a pay increase. Shame on you, CVS.

Be Prepared To Be Treated Like An Oncall Slave

Store Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBenefits are great, that's all I can say.

ConsBe prepared to work everyday and get paid for 45 hours. They cut hours every year, no matter how much money you make.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiving stores hours to actually staff the building would increase moral.

2 people can not effectively run the store

Shift Supervisor A (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Prosdecent pay for a retail job

Consthey ask too much with no bodies to do the job

Advice to Senior Managementquit cutting payroll and you will get the customer service you want. 1 employee cannot be the cashier, photo clerk, walk everyone the the item, check in vendors, answer phones, take passport photo's, answer back door, help little old ladies find there lip stick shade all at the same time!!! And do it with a smile. come one!

A matter of time before people die and management blames it on the pharmacy staff they overworked . Shameful.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsConsistent returns in the stock market; the hallmark of bean-counter idiots squeezing inhuman productivity out of an overworked staff.

ConsI've never seen lower morale at any drugstore. The mis-management of personnel is nearly criminal. The company culture is exploitive; they expect too much from their pharmacists and they don't care about burn out. THIS IS A PUBLIC

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics. Stop cutting costs by short-changing staff. Stop behaving shamefully by making pharmacists do too much! You will have the largest class-action lawsuit the world has ever seen on your hands because you are ENDANGERING THE CUSTOMER.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Purposefully understaffed to maximize profit (pharm tech)

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Venice, FL

ProsI enjoy multi-tasking which was good

ConsToo many to list.
    -Upper management is awful and only care about bottom line
    -Understaffed consistently which leads to numerous problems including errors, patients not being dealt with in satisfactory manner
    -low pay even with a degree from a prestigious university I received 9.00/hr to start

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the patients rather than the profit. When the correct number of pharmacy techs were on staff patients were MUCH happier and things flowed far better even during peak season (I live in one of the most famous places for retirees and "snow birds")

Pharmacist Tech

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsNo pros

Horrible company to work for... violate HIPPA with employees and

ConsNo Cons

CVS deserves no STARS

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do better with customer service

Terrible company, terrible values

Shift Supervisor A/Cashier (Former Employee) Goshen, IN

ProsCoworkers were great. If you want to advance there are opportunities. Gives you experience in retail. Good chance to work with people.

ConsHaving to cave into bad customers, regardless of policies. Heat on management transfers to heat on hourly employees for everything. Just overall a corrupt company. Unrealistic expectations. There are pay caps for all hourly employees!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany values need to change, treat/pay your employees better, understand that your employees are not super human understand what is realistic and what is not!

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!