CVS Health Reviews in Boston, MA

3,053 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,110 Ratings

Pros
  • Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees, flexible schedules around school (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 145 reviews)

• that isn't a bad thing from a customer service standpoint but it can be stressful (in 130 reviews)

More Highlights

71 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic Experience working in a Fast paced, strategic replenishment company

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  North Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in North Andover, MA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in a 24 hour store there is greater flexibility with scheduling the staff as well as personal needs when needed. Tasks are done on specific days and you can be more efficient if you incorporate the overnight staff into the tasks that are normally done during the day. I have to say I love my job in my current 24 hour store.

Cons

If your going for store management you will bounce around. Once you find a store that works for you for location, hours, and team you may just be moving again until you get your own store. Average length in one store is 8 months to a year. Also the pay for management is not as good as some other retailers. There is a pay cut for your training period and most likely you are already took one to come here if your are already in management somewhere. The work load can be a shocker as well even if you are expecting it and are used to something similar.
    Management training is not great for work life. Training in a store and helping out other stores would be much more beneficial than actually transferring to other stores. It doesn't take long for a manager to learn tasks and usually you just need to go through the experience in order to learn. It's tough to constantly adapt to new store managers with different guidelines of schedules when you have young ones at home no matter how flexible you are.

Medical benefits for a family are not very good. Everything is out of pocket and you can't even use the minuteclinic. This needs to be more affordable for a family. Kids HAVE to go to the doctor and we have to work. It's much more convenient to go to the minuteclinic for small things like strep and ear infections. Also as a manager we need to revisit how we do our hiring. The recruiters are working 3 clients per store whether or not that client is responding or not.. Basically you could waste 2 weeks on a client that is not even interested in the job before we move on to someone who does. Our stores need 1-3 people when we are hiring and at this rate is take 3-6 months to hire one person. When you have an immediate need this is way too long. Management Trainees or assistant managers should be on a bench in a couple districts. Once your hired your in one district but many stores are in need of management and it would be nice to be able to get closer to home rather than farther and farther away in most cases. Assistants should be trained by the best store managers and meetings offsite once a month with multiple district managers. I have noticed the DM's are very different and it's hard to switch from one district to another.

PT Cashier Review

Former Employee - Clerk/Cashier  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Framingham, MA

I worked at CVS Health part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible schedule (especially helpful for college students!)
    Convenient locations
    Easy to learn job tasks
    Supportive supervisors and coworkers
    Not picky about taking days off, given fair warning ahead of time (for part timers anyways)
    Stores are clean, inviting and organized
    Raised money for ALS before it was cool
    Sales are worth it if you pay attention

Cons

Customers WILL try to walk all over you. This is probably true in all retail settings, but see my advice to management below. CVS always takes the customer's side even when they are clearly wrong. Workers are instructed to be doormats to customers and give them whatever they want if a conflict arises, and I think some customers have learned this and take advantage. I'm talking large scale scams where they walk out with hundreds of dollars worth of free merchandise and gift cards. It is demoralizing as an employee because customers are usually very rude to you in order to get what they want, and no one stands up for you. Your immediate manager does not have the power to do this because even they are ordered to do this when situations arise--just give the customer what they want to shut them up and make them happy. And repeat. And repeat.

While the sales are usually considered a pro, they can also be very confusing to customers who shop at a lot of stores and don't always pay attention. Sometimes you can explain it so they understand, but they usually just get angry. It never failed to happen every time I worked.

I feel like the only people who care about me in this company are the people I've met in person. My managers, supervisors, and coworkers were great, always there for support and to answer questions. But anything from "higher up" was either a neutral or negative experience. There is no relationship or consciousness of anyone outside of your store except faceless "orders from above" which are only designed to keep customers happy, at any price (including your dignity).
    My advice is to pay more attention to employees, maybe give them places to make suggestions or be part of a community, go around and visit stores for reasons other than punitive ones. We cashiers are the ones who see customers face to face and know their habits and have knowledge that can actually help you design better systems of how to do sales or make shopping easier--if only you would ask.
    I also wish management wouldn't be afraid to lose a few abusive customers to protect their many dedicated employees. Take a look at who the repeat offenders are, and again, listen to your employees more.

Unachievable expectations

Former Employee - CVS Store Manager  in  Salem, MA
    Former Employee - CVS Store Manager in Salem, MA

I worked at CVS Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was about average for the position...health & prescription benefits were very good & affordable. A great team of employees.

Cons

Too many expectations of multiple tasks getting done with little payroll...payroll hours. Management hired based on 45 hours ..unfortunately due to the amount of tasks & no hours , it becomes 55-65 hours sometimes 6 or 7 days.

My advice to senior management is to look realistically at the amount of tasks to be done with the amount of payroll hours, perhaps going into the stores themselves to see how many man hours these tasks really take, rather than just setting goals & deadlines from an office.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Red Tape

Former Employee - Cashier, Photo, Inventory  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier, Photo, Inventory in Quincy, MA

I worked at CVS Health part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible scheduling, opportunity for hours.

Cons

Red tape by management, unrealistic expectations, forever cutting budget/resources, pay, no training.

Reward your current employees in a given store (don't go outside to other stores for employees when you have fully capable staff already)

Interesting first job

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier  in  Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Westwood, MA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

easy to obtain job. pretty flexible with hours.

Cons

Managers and assistant managers constantly switched or quit without much notice.

Stability is key

great place to work if your not management

Former Employee - Management  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Management in Boston, MA

I worked at CVS Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

room for advancement cvs is everywhere if needed to relocate job security

Cons

low hour budgets in the stores makes it very hard to cater to the customer like they want you to.

Dont make it impossible to interact with customers by giving these stores so little hours.

It's just alright, nothing too special

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Boston, MA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

Time and a half pay for sundays and on major holidays, staff are willing to help you when you need it

Cons

it gets difficult to deal with customers who just wants to take out their anger on you, even if you didn't do anything to them

great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In my position I am able to utilize my skills and expertise to help customers and fellow coworkers. Been with the company for a few years and recently began having more conference calls, visits from corporate and vendor brands to maximize regional business potential. I feel incredibly luck to have a great team of coworkers and managers in my store who always communicate well with each other and work together like a real team should.

Cons

the company could improve their communication with us in the stores. Sometimes we don't get necessary information as often as we need depending on the circumstances.

I don't get paid enough for this

Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT in Boston, MA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The comraderie, and some of the benefits (vacation time, 401k match)

Cons

The pay scale. The amount of work on the amount of man hours.

Pharmacy Technician

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Wayland, MA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Wayland, MA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

$10.50 is decent starting pay, and having good coworkers can make the work day a lot more bearable. Work environment was clean and well lit. Managers and corporate never tried to dissuade me from taking a lunch break on appropriate shifts. If there is more than one CVS near you odds are there is an available position, which is invaluable if you are desperate for work.

Cons

Opportunities for significant pay increases are virtually nonexistent, and the ability to transfer locations is wholly dependent on the pharmacy manager. The pharmacy is always strapped for hours, and always has too few employees for the workload. Expect to consistently work with the feeling of being behind, to always be lacking on corporate's arbitrary metrics, and to be constantly stressed to the point of physical illness.

Allow pharmacies more technician hours, relax somewhat on the metrics, and streamline the promotion process / pay increases. Constantly training new technicians is more expensive to you than making sure that the experienced ones stay.

Worked for CVS Health? Contribute to the Community!