CVS Health

3,680 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,358 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fast paced work with little training.

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Columbus, OH

I have been working at CVS Health part-time

Pros

CVS provides a decent salary for their employees.

Cons

Little training provided to employees.

Provide better training.

Worst place to work

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Lancaster, OH
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Lancaster, OH

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got to meet nice customers

Cons

Management was hott after young females. Anyone who questioned management was written up. Family members working together when one has management credentials, against policy but overlooked because of management relationship with lead tech. Lead tech works all day early shifts regardless of My Schedule and NEVER works Friday Saturday or Sunday. Her and her aunt run the pharmacy. NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!!!

Be fair. Loyal employees are hard to find and when they don't meet your expectations by flirting with you. It's not a negative attribute

Good learning experience, but do not recommend for long term career!

Former Employee - Pharmacy in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Pharmacy in Columbus, OH

I worked at CVS Health as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with and the customers we helped

Cons

We sometimes did not have enough people working at a time which was not fun during rush hour! Also, CVS will sometimes push fourth initiatives without realizing how it will negatively affect stores. The surveys on the receipts were horrible!

Allow more hours for help! Stop with the receipt surveys!

Cvs pharmacist

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Columbus, OH

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great experience working for cvs

Cons

None that I can think of

Great company to work for, taken care of by manager

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Powell, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Powell, OH

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working at CVS was being able to see the value in being dependable to your boss and willing to work hard. The more I did, the more tasks I was trusted with, the more I felt accomplished. I was able to become a shift supervisor at age 20, just from being dependable to my manager.

Cons

The main challenge was pay. My manager always tried to get me raises, but I didn't improve my pay over 5 years very drastically at all.

Don't be afraid to delegate tasks to workers, some that seem lazy, may need extra responsibility to achieve something greater.

It was so good for so many years then new management starting getting rid of pharmacists with lots of years of experienc

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Columbus, OH

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

salary is good benefits are good

Cons

pharmacies are not adequately staffed and they micro-manage you to a point that you would not believe

Get out while you can. They only care about targets that they set and nothing else

Going downhill fast

Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Manager pay and bonus potential are very good, as is the health insurance package.
    -Higher ups, for the most part, are very approachable and easy to talk to.

Cons

Labor budgets are cut to next to nothing while workloads are increasing. Store managers should expect to work six or seven days a week, some of those double shifts, and still get daily texts and emails about how they are falling short of expectations and need to work harder. The starting pay for your part time staff is minimum wage, and the expectations are astronomical, meaning that when you finally DO find that cashier or pharmacy tech that can produce to company standards, they will leave as soon as they realize that every single job available on your street will pay them more and offer less stress,
    There are only two people permitted on the clock at any one time: the cashier and the manager/supervisor. Since the cashier is at the register, the manager supervisor must:
    -act as backup cashier
    -act as a backup pharmacy technician
    -be the store's janitor and maintenance person
    -work out the entire product delivery (within 24 hours, according to company standards. Some stores get as many as ten full pallets of product)
    -work all backstock
    -Do all HR and banking
    -Set all merchandise and do all resets
    -complete ordering, inventory counts, ad signage, et al
    -all this while the front store is handling 50-60 transactions an hour, this requiring you to be at the register away from these tasks
    -If you don't complete these tasks because you are helping provide customer service, you will, get written up
    -If you ignore customers in order to complete these tasks, you will get written up
    -If you manage to juggle the jobs of four different people by yourself and complete a 16-hour workload for every four hours you work, but the customer service survey shows you only earning a '4' (Very good) on a scale of 1-5, you will get written up.

The structure is physically and mentally exhausting and emotionally deflating. You will become a robot, and that is precisely what they want.

Do NOT take this job if you have a family or friends that you would like to see occasionally, as that will no longer be possible.

Provide your team with the tools they need to succeed!

Although CVS is already seemingly rated pretty poorly, my experience was more of the same.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Lancaster, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Lancaster, OH

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Somewhat of a company discount, 30% on CVS brand items, 20% on most regular items, but it excludes dairy, sale or clearance items. There are a great many job functions that I really enjoyed when you had the opportunity to work out in the store or back stockroom.

Cons

Please take in mind that the store location I worked was considered one of the toughest in the region, and my general manager insisted that "if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere". Streamlined minimal staffing, and a general manager that is incentive driven, made the internal job functions stressful to say the least. If a shift supervisor became dissentious, they had way to much ability to pick among staff to assign more favorable tasks out from behind register (nobody wanted to run register!!!) and make you suffer with no regard for any length of service you had been faithful for!!! I was also continually asked to change my start times every week which made work-life balance next to impossible.

I would suggest a more realistic approach to staffing to ensure a customer experience that is more representative of the idyllic vision that is portrayed in commercials and picture advertising. Also, implementing a solid seniority system for workers would help to ensure that dedication, customer service, and consistency would not go wasted or unnoticed at the cost of associates. I had prior worked for Walgreens at their Perrysburg Ohio DC for six years and left because of personal struggles, but I regret leaving them now. I have not seen any better working conditions for any company, and their employee relations were the best I have seen anywhere!!!

It was okay

Former Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was a job... So yeah

Cons

It was just to pay the bills

I don't have any advice

Customer service/merchandiser

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its a great place to work. You get to meet people all the time. However some customers will annoy you.

Cons

Lack of enough hours for some stores. No overtime whatsoever for most people.

Ensure people have enough hours and some overtime as much as possible.