CVS Health

Updated December 23, 2014
2.4

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Good for experience, not long term for me

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount, aetna insurance benefits, growth potential. If you decide this is the career path for you, you work hard and you will be promoted to a store manager at some point. Can be very rewarding if you like what you do. Fairly easy job, just depends on the area you're in and rather you're at a 24hr store or not.

Cons

More work with less employees is required.
    Not a lot of hours and help to get things done. Being a store manager can require no work/life balance and crazy man hrs. Depending on which store you're at. The stores are open all year round...... This job is not for everyone. Retail can suck the life out of you. Cvs can suck the life out of you.

With all the stores this company has, give each store more working hours to hire more employees. Stop cutting security hours when we need them most. Close all stores on Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Customer Experience

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You meet a lot of people, customers and employees. You can make a difference in people's lives just by being there. Hourly promotion is achievable.

Cons

Bottom line problem is the hours piece. This company builds a stock price but does not put any money in hours for the stores. Multiple tasks without hours to make it happen. Apologizing to customers constantly because they have to wait.
    There is no recruitment team or recruiter. The training hours come out of your store budget so you have to cut on minimum hours already.

It really doesn't matter. If senior management did what was right then you may see 4 stars. Nobody is perfect. But if you think micromanagement is important but salary management works 70+ hours on a 45 hour base salary is right..... then there is no problem in thier eyes.

Abusive work environment for Store Managers

Current Employee - Store Manager CVS in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager CVS in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

From my experience, experienced Store Managers are paid well.

Cons

Minimal payroll hours to run stores. The Store Manager is the only salaried employee in the store and is expected to work as many hours as it takes to keep up with the enormous amount of daily workload since the company continues to remove payroll hours from stores. Being able to delegate is extremely challenging since many stores run with one manager and one cashier at a time. The company runs these stores on such a razor thin employee coverage, that most managers I know are completely overwhelmed and dissatisfied with their job. The company has spent tons of time and money to develop and budget down to how long it "should" take to complete everything each day and continues to be completely disconnected from reality.

Change your business model. Treat Store Managers better, by providing more payroll hours instead of less. You expect the stores to provide world class service while beating your employees down daily. People can only run at a high level of productivity for so long before they break and become resentful for the work environment that the company creates and promotes. Sham on you!

CVS- Okay job but do not plan to stay.

Current Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility of the schedule.

Cons

Lack of extra employees due to high turnover rate.

Nothing really.

Good place to work then it went downhill.

Former Employee - Retail Drug Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Retail Drug Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was good and benefits.

Cons

Too many tasks to do with no help too many budget cuts.

Need to pay attention to your people more.

Going downhill

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The reasons that are good to work for this company... i cant think of any anymore.

Cons

The company will work you to death. They dont care about their employees at all. They cut hours tremendously and expect you to do the job of 2+ people.

I would advise against it but if you're ever so inclined... Good Luck!!

Store Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its a job. The people you work with are very nice and are hard workers.

Cons

The company severely under staffs the stores and needs to work very very very quickly to eliminate unnecessary tasks so that managers are free to actually help the customer and try to complete the unrealistic expectations of overwhelming ad set,menial tasks and planogram changes.

Kill menial tasks for management these consist of verifying deposits after they have been entered. Having associates sign off on checks, amount of signs and items on sale weekly. Outdates process extra reports from loss prevention. Amount and timing of planogram resets. P&l response items and viewing should be limited to actual store controllable items. too much info spending too much time on unnecessary tasks.

in my years of working with cvs, it was a good a company to work for until new personnel did not make good decisions.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Detroit, MI

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility with schedule
    job is not strenuous or does not need a lot physical

Cons

no good advance opportunities for women of color
    Benefits were terrible
    no good salary benefits

listen to employees
    in order to have good customer satisfaction employees have to be happy also

Probably the biggest employment mistake I have made.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a short, sad drive to work, but a short happy drive home.

Cons

I am shift manager with much retail experience, including big box management. I took the position as I work through school after a former employer refused to allow time to go to school. I have nearly two years as a shift supervisor.

There is increased micro management from district level up, and yet there is no accountability of store managers to corporate beyond the numbers to the bottom line.

CVS preaches respect to the individual employee, but it is sorely lacking. In my store and two stores near me there have been harassment complaints made, including sexual. In one case, the manager was given a month off for a "medical" leave, and the complainant was transferred to another store upon his return.

I have processed payroll for the store manager, part of of my duties, and seen days off taken without vacation pay or sick time used, and full pay received, twice. Everywhere I have worked, theft of company time is usually a termination offense. Yet although the first report was nearly three months ago (and again three weeks ago), no action has been taken.

This same manager has had two "no call, no shows" for work in the past 18 months, one forced leave of absence following a verified harassment complaint, and still remains. And these type of problems persist. And when you are called in to cover his no shows, you are given another day off so as not to generate overtime.

While the district and regional manager are aware of this, there is no obvious interest in resolution.

Other problems persist, but there is not room to list them. Topics would include constantly cut budgets even in stores that generate profits, constant efforts to reduce operational costs, and labor law violations that include transporting deposits to the bank on your way home. (Labor laws state this is an OK practice for salaried employees, but not for hourly employees. Wal-Mart has paid heavy penalties for these violations, as evidenced by news reports and class action lawsuits.)

Read and learn from the Sam Walton autobiography. While most people don't seem to value the Wal-Mart world and even criticize it, sometimes deservedly, he managed to build an empire on some pretty basic principles.

District Manager

Current Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary is very competitive with other retail companies

Cons

workload is out of control. Creating stress and job insecurity

stay away