CVS Health Reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

Very busy

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Miami, FL

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits; over time was available.

Cons

Very little help. Reduced tech hours

Advice to Management

There is only a maximum number of duties that can be safely performed by one person only. It does not matter if you pay him one million dollars a year. You need to provide hours for pharmacist to perform his professional duties in a responsible manner. Patient care should be your priority as a company - this goal is not just to look pretty on a wall.

3. Cashier/Clerk

Current Employee - Accountant in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Accountant in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a very nice company to work for

Cons

I can't find anything to say about it

Advice to Management

Do for your employee what you want other to do for you.

Not good anymore

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in South Florida, FL

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Plenty of locations in the country to choose from. Would make an ok part time job but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

Cons

Low pay
    High workload
    Low opportunities
    High stress
    Low moral
    High turnover

Advice to Management

No reason

Don't recommend working with CVS

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at CVS Health

You get to learn
    Not many pros honestly besides the experience

Cons

Did not care about employees
    Low pay (pharmacy tech position)
    Disrespectful Customer/co workers

Advice to Management

Pay people better wages for all the hard work they put in.

7. Unrealistic, Uninspiring and Unfocused

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Fairly decent employee discount, free flu shots. I like the path they are taking with no longer selling of tobacco products. If you can deal with all the demands there is a good opportunity for advancement within the store.

Cons

Low pay
    lack of staffing,
    way too much focus on meeting arbitrary survey results,
    extreme distrust of employees.

Advice to Management

Stop relying on survey results to determine the value of your employees. There are so many more factors involved than the employee not doing their job. With the loss of tobacco revenue, budgets have been cut drastically but the idea of having only a manager and a cashier to cover the front of the store is suicidal. Long lines and cranky customers wind up being the cashiers fault and shows up as a negative on the survey.
    The expectation of 24-hour turnaround on deliveries is impossible. The DC pushed out Valentine candy in the midst of Christmas and Easter in January. The back rooms become clogged with excessive merchandise. Considering that stores receive deliveries on a weekly basis, the size of the deliveries are too much.
    Reconsider how and when promotions are run. Every week we seem to put the same items on sale alternating between BOGO or 2for. The amount of hours spent taking down tags and putting up tags could be better spent actually bringing product out to fill the shelf or with helping customers.
    LP seems obsessed over tracking refunds, voids and coupons. The amount of duplicate and even triplicate documentation is staggering. Customer theft is constant because there is no one on the sales floor but heaven forbid if a cashier has a refund that doesn't have a reason written on it, has also been recorded on an accountability sheet and then noted at the end of the night on the register totals. All of which is supposed to be signed by the MOD.
    Advice to Management would be to relax and let people do their jobs, loosen up the purse strings and hire enough personal to make customers happy and stop badgering employees for not meeting goals that we made up by someone who has never worked a 9-hour shift on the sales floor.

8. Eh.

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time

Pros

In my experience working at CVS Health I have had really awesome coworkers. Most coworkers are hard working, very kind, and understanding. We also have a pretty lively crowd of customers coming in and I can honestly say that I very much enjoy most of their company. Key word is "most." Another great thing is the 20% discount on non cvs brand items and 30% on cvs brand items. I can't tell you how many fantastic deals I've found working at CVS.

Cons

Working Christmas Eve with one manager and one cashier was probably the most stressful event I have encountered in my life so far. The line was so far down the store that it was barely touching pharmacy. We were constantly busy and we had nothing but customers complaining about the line. I work by an expressway so there are constantly people in our store. We recently switched from 24 hours to a 17 hour store in January. The expected workload for a cashier is almost completely unrealistic. For example, if you're working night shift from 4pm-12am you are expected to put up sale tags, stock front store and aisle candy, face the store, vacuum the whole store, throw out the trash, bring in the carts (which are usually spread out all over the parking lot) and take care of customers in between all of that for 8 dollars an hour. While the manager on schedule is usually doing totes, checking expiration dates, doing endcaps, counting drawers ect. All this work would be easier to do if we had an hour or so after we close to spruce up the place but unfortunately our store manager wants the store armed by 12:10. Our shifts would be so much easier if we had at least one more cashier on duty but supposedly we don't have the hours for that. The schedule changes are so consistent that it's really hard to keep track of what days you work. There were a couple of times where my manager changed my schedule on my day off to work the following day as if I was supposed to know. Also I changed my availability twice and my manager STILL put me on the days I can't work because of school. There was also the time in February, on check day, when I went to pick up my check my manager could not find it. My manager called Payroll to cancel and reissue on the same day but after two weeks I recieved nothing. I called payroll again to see what happened and payroll never sent the check. They told me my check would be in my mail box within 7 to 10 business days and I did not recieve my check until last week (a month and a half later). It was unbelievable.
    In a nutshell, cashiers do not get paid enough for all of the work they do and management isn't very caring or helpful. They act like you have no life outside of work.

Advice to Management

Work a cashier or management shift for a day just to see the weight you put on our shoulders.

Pharmacy Tech Trainee

Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech Trainee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech Trainee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice coworkers and management, intensive training, fast paced, free pharmacy tech training, nice employee discount.

Cons

I think the immediate management is intimidated by corporate to treat you a certain way. Store management is not trained to work with employees who may have disabilities and they don't even ask what things you may need to negotiate in regards to a disability. If you ask for disability accommodation your hours are cut and you start to get harrassed with made up infractions to intimidate you into leaving or asked to do things that aggravate your disability. This is because everything is centered around the hours that store managers are allowed to have to staff their store. They have not considered disability accommodation into that equation so they just try to get rid of you or intimidate you into leaving. They are all about corporate numbers and profit margins not people or employees. The pay is poverty level. They are so understaffed that the best they can do is make sure you have a lunch break but that's it.

Advice to Management

Treating your employees like criminals is insulting and looks bad in front of your customers. It sends a message to the community that you do not trust your employees so why should your customers? Training modules give lip service about keeping and retaining employees but low pay, low hours and constantly looking for faults of understaffed employees just creates high turnovers and gives CVS a bad reputation as an employer.

10. dreadful, unorganized, depressing

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Coconut Creek, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Coconut Creek, FL

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

There arent any pros. Nothing is good.

Cons

Everything is bad. The company doesn't care about their employees and they dont pay any money and they dont give raises.

Advice to Management

Be better

11. Great Staff

Former Employee - Pharmacy Tech Trainee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Tech Trainee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone helped each other out in such a buy pharmacy

Cons

Not much training due to high volume and not enough people woking at one time

Advice to Management

Think management was always very helpful at all times