CVS Health Reviews

Reset
2.4
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo

Pros
  • Work life balance is very positive (in 42 reviews)

• Great for students with flexible hours (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • If you wont work life balance don't work here (in 67 reviews)

• Always getting yelled at from upper management (in 172 reviews)

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

2. Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Indian Rocks Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Indian Rocks Beach, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at CVS is for their great pay and benefits.

Cons

Downsides to working at CVS include not having enough time to thoroughly complete tasks due to lack of employees per shift.

Advice to Management

I suggest their should be more employees on staff during both morning and night shifts to provide enough time and man power to keep stores running smoothly.

3. Pharmacy Technician

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Great benefits, flexible to school schedule

Cons

Hours cut off, annoying waits on the phone

Advice to Management

Train employees in Customer Service.

5. Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Intern in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Clearwater, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, and management wasn't bad

Cons

Lousy pay and cranky customers

6. pharmacy manager

Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great stock options, Overall good benefits

Cons

No schedule break, High stress, Lack of support from upper management, under staffed pharmacies for demand of how quickly rx's should be filled.

Advice to Management

Support the pharmacy manager when the manager raises concerns over lack of store help. The well being of employees and customers should be top concern over being 5 hours over budget.

7. Pharmacy

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company, descent company match and benefits

Cons

over worked with little to no break. For a large company, the infrastructure can be more up to date (registers, pharmacy system, ordering). Very corporate and numbers based.

Advice to Management

Be more patient/costumer focused and not numbers focused.

8. Meh.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valrico, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valrico, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing positive to say about my experience with CVS except they help to pay the bills.

Cons

So much to cover... I don't even know where to begin and I know I don't care to take the time to write up a book of cons for the site... If you have other options, work elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Start pretending to care about your workforce.

9. Pharmacist

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job included a good salary, benefits, and healthcare. The company is constantly expanding and employees can benefit from stock options. Overall, it is a good job if you are fresh out of school

Cons

The company is always under-staffing and cutting hours. There is a high burn out rate due to constant stress. Most pharmacist don't last with the company for longer than 2 years.

Advice to Management

Always try to take the viewpoint of the pharmacist or the technician. They are constantly over worked. Be clear about what is expected of employees. If customer service is always the first priority, keep that in mind when staffing a pharmacy.

It used to be a great company to work for. ..

Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Tech/Inventory Specialist in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've had the opportunity to work with some of the most amazing pharmacists and PICs. My team consistently provides exceptional customer service.

Cons

Too many tasks to perform and not enough time or help to complete them. Lots of red tape to go through even for the simplest of tasks.

Advice to Management

Go back to the way it was 3 years ago. With adequate tech hours and adequate pay for those techs, your stores will be able to perform in the manner that you expect. Also, with steering your focus on loss prevention with the ads and screen savers and "motivational posters" in your break rooms, you give the impression that your employees are criminals. If you don't trust the people that work for you, set a higher standard for employment. Require your technicians to have some degree of higher education (and compensate them accordingly). I used to love working for this company. It seems that profit margins have become more important than employee satisfaction.

11. CVS opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I worked at CVS for 5 years as a Hallmark card specialist. I floated between 4 different locations. Overall I found working for CVS comfortable and found other opportunities within the various locations. Overtime I maintained the cosmetic sections and did other projects to earn additional hours and pay. The part-time benefits are good.

Cons

Working at 4 different locations made it apparent that the manager make a huge difference on how the store is run. The good managers kept their employees and moral was good. The opposite occurred with a manager who was lazy or not engaged with his store.

Showing 222 of 5,111 reviews