CVS Health

3,444 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,276 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

146 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

Customer service, photo specialist and stocking associate.

Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great leadership with shift supervisors, shift managers, assistant manager and manager. Cashiers are given on-the-job training with customer service, stocking and sales floor experience. When the right people are put in management positions, the dynamics are great!

Cons

Cashiers are given a 3 hour course of company policies but no preparation for the sales floor or customer service advice. The first day I was on the job, I was given approximately a 2 minute tutorial on the register and both shift supervisors left to work in the back room and on the sales floor. I was not even told how to work the phone to call for assistance when I needed it.

Make sure the right people are promoted within each store and are qualified for leadership positions. Give the right kind of training, not only to the people who are promoted, but to everyone.

Overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very fast paced with a lot to learn, it's a great alternative to the typically dull retail environment. You'll quickly become part of a pseudo-family of pharmacists/technicians.

Cons

Constantly expected to prioritize selling as many scripts as quickly as possible (via corporate sales metrics) above all else. You're expected to do more with less hours/manpower, which is budgeted based on sales per week. It can quickly become a very stressful and frustrating work environment.

Listen to your pharmacists/techs, metrics only make it harder to keep patients and employees happy. Seasoned technicians deserve compensation appropriate for the skills they possess. Healthcare first, sales second.

20years and no reason to leave

Current Employee - Store Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Innovative, training, benefits, healthcare, incentive

Cons

Long hours, minimal hours for help, high task level,

It is important to invest I the hourly pay so sales can increase

Good company that expects alot of its managers

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and oppurtunity to move around

Cons

Long hours and somewhat low wages. Once you make store manager it is hard to move up

Hold Pharmacists responsible for the pharmacy area

Store Manager in resignation

Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - CVS Store Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stability and Generally it is not as hard as complexed as other retail operations. You are Store Manager but you are mainly in charge of Grocery and HBC which is 20% business and you act as support and secretary with the stuff they need.

Cons

You are manager on paper unless you are in 24 hour store with bigger payroll. If you are not you will likely have one cashier and yourself in the building plus RX stuff. Which means you will have to do everything by yourself, including planograms, cleaning, facing up, dealing with all kind of issues, taking out trash, banking, deposits and all financials, build displays and so on. There is very little delegation.
    If you are not of RX background, Store Manager is probably as far that you can go up.

Put more hours in the store, especially that you are making a lot of money.

Not the greatest company to start a career.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Winter Haven, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Winter Haven, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules dependent on store managers.

Cons

Higher ups don't care about hourly employees.
    Trying to get a raise is like pulling teeth irregardless of experience and performance given a we can train anyone attitude.

Pay better attention to hourly store level employees they run your stores and build your rapport with the community treating them like expendable pieces in a game will not give you effective results

Did an online application over a week ago. I haven't heard from anyone yet. Hope to hear something soon.

Current Employee - Cashier At Cvs in Longwood, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier At Cvs in Longwood, FL

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

The online application was easy. I'm not sure about the interview process or how it works.

Cons

Wish the turn around time for an interview was faster.

Very Satisfying

Current Employee - N/A in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - N/A in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to assist and help others

Cons

No consistency, no recognition not enough incentives no raises

Be more informative with your employees, recognize all employees and not a select few. Be more consistent and encourageable with the work environment

cvs lead technician

Former Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician CphT in Pensacola, FL

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits and schedule as well as employee discounts

Cons

get rid of senior workers to lower paid new employees

don't complain that employees make too much money. it makes them feel worthless..