CVS Health Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

3,043 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,106 Ratings

Pros
  • Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits for part time employees, flexible schedules around school (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 145 reviews)

• that isn't a bad thing from a customer service standpoint but it can be stressful (in 130 reviews)

More Highlights

64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's just ok

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orange, CA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mostly straight forward just keep your head down.

Cons

Workplace politics depending on who you work with.

The only thing that really made it worthwhile were the co-workers...

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Ventura, CA

I worked at CVS Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Depends on where you work but the co-workers were what kept me sane.

Cons

If you cant stand on your feet for long periods of time in a fast-paced environment I don't suggest you work here.

My First Pharmacy Technician position.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee/Pharmacy Service Associate  in  Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee/Pharmacy Service Associate in Northridge, CA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time for less than a year

Pros

They have Many good Employees
     And Great Training.
    They work with your personal schedule.
    So far seems like an all around good company.

Cons

They have a really Long application process.
    Their internal Software for modules is Not Mac friendly so for me all upkeep must be done at library or on the job and that's difficult.
    They have Many Lazy Pharmacists that are not team players and will complain the whole shift making it at times unbearable.
    Compared to other retail companies it seems that they have Low pay.

Find a way to weed out all the complainers and lazy people and you'll be set. Also remember that the customer is not always right and back up your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful work environment. Unrealistic work expectations.

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is better than other retail chains, but only for pharmacists. They have a sense of community responsibility (removing tobacco products, and promotes charitable giving, although not to the extent of other companies I've worked for).

Cons

They expect too much work from employees and give too little support and an inferior, inefficient, confusing computer system to do it with. Everything is micro managed. There are too many "metrics" you are measured by. They expect you to do online training, but they do not give you enough time to actually do it...employees often have to do it during a shift, while helping customers, answering phones, and filling prescriptions so that no one really learns anything and often have to ask others for the answers to the evaluation test that you have to pass in order to get credit for the course. They measure you on how many vaccinations you give, how many phone calls you make, how many people enroll in an automatic refill system that doesn't work the way it should, how many people enroll in text messaging, how many prescriptions you fill on time, how long it takes to get a person through the drive through window,......I could go on and on. Every computer upgrade, innovation, procedure they introduce brings groans to the staff because they always result in more work and more bugs. This is a company run by non-pharmacists...or pharmacists who have not stepped foot in a pharmacy to work in years.

Also, this is a company based on the east coast and the decisions that they make make it obvious that they do not consider the west coast stores at all. The outside vendor order line (for certain items) has a deadline of 4pm PST, meaning if a patient came into a CA store on a Thursday after 4pm and we have to order brand name Diovan for them, they would have to wait until Monday to get it! And if you try an order a non-preferred generic (because the preferred is out of stock at both the CVS warehouse and the OV) you can only order enough for one patient...never mind that you have 10 patients waiting for it.

Listen to your store level employees. They are the ones on the front lines and they know the most efficient way to do things. Your employees WANT to give good customer service, they WANT to help the patients that they have come to know and love. Give them the proper support and tools (meaning more labor hours and a more efficient computer system) they need to do it! The environment CVS creates by cutting hours while increasing expectations is exhausting, stressful, and dangerous. You are placing way too many demands on the pharmacists (technicians too, but pharmacists are ultimately responsible for everything) and misfills are inevitable and we just pray that the misfills are not bad ones. Try being the only pharmacist on duty and having to verify 1-2 prescriptions per minute (and being timed and evaluated on whether you did it on time), counseling all new rxs properly, counseling patients with OTC questions, mixing all meds that need reconstituting (because techs are no longer allowed to do this simple task), answering all MD calls, giving vaccinations, properly supervising your staff, etc... All at the same time! I've had to do this more times than I can count. Your employees are tired and they dread coming to work. Consider that your west coast stores have different needs than your east coast stores. Do not micromanage every aspect of running a pharmacy. Pharmacists are trained professionals and should know how to manage their inventory properly, they should not have to get special permission to order test strips and other items. If they can't, then they should be let go or never hired in the first place. There is no longer a shortage of pharmacists or technicians on the market, you can afford to be choosy with who you hire. Hire qualified and competent people so that you don't have to micromanage them and you can focus your resources on making the pharmacy a more pleasant place to work. Happy employees mean better customer service and happier, more loyal customers.

Cvs is a fun place to work. It can be hard sometimes but very rewarding.

Current Employee - Cashier At Cvs/Photo Tec  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier At Cvs/Photo Tec in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have learned and have been trained in everything in the store in under less than a year. They are plenty of opportunities to move up in this company.

Cons

Some of the works and customers can be very rude and disrespectful. You just got to kepp your head about it and move on with your day there will be ups and downs in this company.

Give more people a chance to move up. Make sure that all front ends are trained in everything and are will to work with each other, respect each other.

It was an OK job

Current Employee - Cashier Sales Associate  in  Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They really work with your schedule

Cons

Sometimes dealing with inadequate management

Make sure to train all management well

CVS Caremark overall doesn't care about there employees, their stores and what you need to succeed.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B  in  Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Only Pro would be Experience. As a shift, you do everything and pick up everything. It teaches you hard work and you build managerial skills like decision making and writing down work lists, staying on top of employees; makes you be the best you can.

Cons

*1-2% your pay rate raises; if you even get one.
    *Stores need more hours; they strangle the life out of you with 240 hours or less for the week. That's compared to 6 employees working 40 hours to run a store: 2 in the morning / 2 in the after noon / 2 closing... but remember, 49 hours goes to Store Lead manager. So more like 5 employees a day, 2 being morning cashier, and Closing cashier. Leaving Only 2 shifts to do all the Load, facing, stocking , push, Photo orders, keeping Customer service up, checking, Work load manager tasks, price changes, AMM's, DSD, Helping pharmacy, Ca pricing audit, watching for theft, getting the store sales up, and cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming, Impress at the end of the day, checking for Under/ Overages, Light LP work, Observations needed taken through out the day on an employee, PUTTING UP AD TAG...(shutter) Ect...
    *Rules are always bent, so watch out for your self if it gets bent to far
    *They don't replace broken, they give you refurbish tools to use which are useless in 4 months.
    *They work you on all holidays.

If you want to take this job, find a bonus store. Nothing more, nothing less. Do your best, suck up to your boss, smile and wave or try to at least.

All depends on which pharmacist you're working with.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee/Pharmacy Service Associate  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician Trainee/Pharmacy Service Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time for less than a year

Pros

Not too many to be honest. I suppose they offer free vaccinations to all employees, although it's so busy every time I work I haven't even been able to ask for one. I plan on applying to Pharmacy School and I have heard that they tend to bring back techs for internships and later for higher during and post pharmacy school, but I have only heard that and not yet experienced it.

Cons

No breaks besides a lunch. Pharmacists fall behind so that the techs deal with patients get the brut of their frustration and anger. Constantly busy. Generally understaffed.

If they expect for technicians to give 100% great satisfaction, they should get the pharmacists to finish verifying all the prescriptions at the promised time. They should add to their surveys if the prescription was ready at the promised time.

Busy, know how to multitask

Current Employee - Cvs Pharmacist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cvs Pharmacist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good company to work for. Has union stores. Unions can protect you but you must pay monthly dues.

Cons

Extremely busy, but at nearly $63/hr, you better be busting your chops.

Fight for your subordinates, and they will fight for you.

Great experience.

Former Employee - Front Clerk  in  Placentia, CA
    Former Employee - Front Clerk in Placentia, CA

I worked at CVS Health part-time for less than a year

Pros

Getting to know the customers and learning more within the store to further my knowledge was the best part of this job.

Cons

I felt as though I was the only worker who actually made an impact in the customers' lives. They appreciated when I went out of my way to show them this or that not just pointed them in the right direction. Bad management, but great front store workers.

Hire people who enjoy working and actually care about the customers like the policy of CVS is. It's for the customers not whatever is easiest for the shift supervisors.

Worked for CVS Health? Contribute to the Community!