CVS Health

3,649 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,346 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Satified

Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Pharmacy Technician in Miami, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people to a path to better health

Cons

Working Conditions are not very good.

Better recognition

Consistent treatment

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Tech in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Tech in Miami, FL

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Scheduling flexibility and great employee team work, great benefits for employees and tuition reimbursement was amazing benefit especially for full time employees.

Cons

Management unsure of plans, lack of leadership, consistent in blame game. Lack of employee retention and unfair in raises and unreasonable in standards for employees.

Consistence in treatment of employees from management. Proper training for both management and regular employees. Provide more employee retention.

Hmm

Former Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is retail experience gained. You get to engage with the customers.

Cons

It was a low volume store, so there was a lot of pressure and disorganization in my case.

Overworked, Underpaid, Not Appreciated

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Miami, FL

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work your way up from cashier to management/pharmacy, paid training provided by the company, adequate vacation for full-time workers.

CVS/Pharmacy was my first job. CVS/Pharmacy gave me the opportunity to expand my customer service skills, expand my network, and ultimately helped me grow as a working adult.

Began working as a cashier in 2007 as a 17 year old high school student, by 2008 I was a Photo Lab Technician, by late 2008 I started working as a Pharmacy Technician. CVS paid for my training and fees associated with the Pharmacy Technician licensing exam taken in 2008-2009. If you are a cashier, make sure to interact often with the Pharmacy along with store managers. This will certainly guarantee you an opening for a 'higher' position in Management or in the Pharmacy within your store when positions become vacant. At the time, CVS used to fill vacant 'high' positions with employees from 'lower' positions. However, it has come to my attention (particularly for vacant Pharmacy Technician positions) that they are now looking for already licensed technicians and college graduates with experience instead of established untrained employees within the store. In other words, CVS will no longer provide 'costly' training for those employees who seek those 'higher' positions which require licensure and large amounts of training.

Cons

Constant threats by management of job loss , very high turnover rates, lack of raises, low pay for the work provided, understaffed, unpaid breaks (if any), terrible health benefits coming from a health company.

From 2007 to 2010, CVS began a steady decline in the way they treated their employees. Each year, our raises would become less and less, stagnant wages became the new normal, threats of termination became increasingly the norm, full-time health benefits became costly and outright expensive given our wages, and unpaid breaks (including lack of breaks/working off the clock) were often advocated (against labor laws) by management as a way to reduce labor costs. By 2010, about 20 store managers had come and gone, 5 Pharmacy managers had come and gone, and about 30 store employees had come and gone.

My advice: CVS/Pharmacy is a great starting job if you're in high school, but don't make it your career. You will never advance in life as the company does not appreciate the amount of work you put in. Added, CVS also does not take into account the number of years you have worked for them. After 3-4 years working for CVS, I only achieved a $2.20 raise. Given that I was a licensed Pharmacy Technician by 2010, and had moved up to that position from several lower paid positions which included being a Photo Lab Technician and previously, a cashier, I certainly was not valued as a true asset to their company. To be fair, neither was any employee working in the store. Including those who had worked for the company for over 15 years!

Take a good look at how you treat your employees with your constant threats of termination. You are overworking your employees, and you are not providing them with living wages given the outstanding labor they provide you.

Overworked and Unappreciated

Former Employee - Store Assistant Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Store Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay and benefits. Associates that you work with are always a plus.
    Management Opportunities
    Locations
    Benefits

Cons

Hours required or expected to work being a manager (6 days, 10 hours a week)
    Expectations of District management with support and resources given to you at store level
    Work life balance is not existent, not to move up or be viewed as dedicated

Pushing away good managers with the lack of support.

Not enough hours of technicians, and they ask for too much!

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Miami, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you work full time you get insurance, and paid vacation.

Cons

They don't give enough technician hours, meaning you're always short on people and have to do triple the work.

change the pharmacy system, the QT is too much pressure for only 2 technicians working every shift.

Would not recommend this job to my worst enemy

Current Employee - Photo Lab Technician in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Photo Lab Technician in Miami, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours for students, regular customers that appreciate you.

Cons

No consideration for employees from management.

This company takes advantage of their employees like no other

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Miami, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are none really. All my fellow co-workers are stressed beyond measure and currently seeking other employment. They all dislike the company to its core.

Cons

You will be expected to do the job that normally would take 2 or 3 people.
    Your job security is always in jeopardy
    Absolutely NO work life balance
    Poor salary
    Expect to be worked like a mule and treated poorly for it
    TOXIC work environment

Take care of your employees. Happy employees mean happy customers. Stop taking advantage of your employees. Treat them fairly! Give them a voice, not threaten them so they keep quiet about the abuses going on in the company

Pharmacy Technician at CVS Caremark

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Miami, FL

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is not bad and if you need a transfer there is a CVS everywhere.

Cons

I really dislike my schedule

be more considerate of peoples schedule

Please stay AWAY!!! This company DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ITS EMPLOYEES!! HORRIBLE WORK ENVIRONMENT

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Miami, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I WISH THERE WAS BUT THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NONE

Cons

So many WOW!!
    - Employees do not have a voice. They are treated atrociously. Absolutely poor training if any at all.
    - Unrealistic expectations and you are constantly verbally abused and threatened if by management. WOW I've never experienced this and I've worked for other retailers like Duane Reade, JCPenney. These companies were heaven compared to CVS.

- ASHAMED THAT THIS IS HAPPENING IN AMERICA.

Good luck to you if you join this company. You will eventually understand what I am talking about and so much more

Management does not know how to communicate with associates! NO COACHING, NO TRAINING. CONSTANT THREATS. UNREALISTIC.